Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Still need to see this one, once I block out the month or however goddamn long it takes to watch it. I've actually never seen any of Watkins' overtly political poo poo, only Edvard Munch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
Rome, Open City.

Vargo posted:

I was about to probate you for talking like a goddamn moron yet again but then I said this out loud and now I can't stop saying it out loud, so you win this round.

I'm worming my way into your heart.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Maybe slightly left-field contender: Andrei Rublev, which is also maybe my pick for best religious film.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Excluding documentaries makes it way harder.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Excluding documentaries makes it way harder.

Really? For me it makes it way easier. Documentaries present me with way too many options that are impossible to pick between, and also way too much important poo poo I haven't seen.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Maybe slightly left-field contender: Andrei Rublev, which is also maybe my pick for best religious film.

More like Andgay Nublev. Diary of a Country Priest.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
For me it's honestly pretty hard to beat Dr Strangelove.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Really? For me it makes it way easier. Documentaries present me with way too many options that are impossible to pick between, and also way too much important poo poo I haven't seen.

That's true, there's at least a half dozen documentaries that spring to mind immediately - Wattstax, Harlan County U.S.A., Act of Killing, Year of The Pig, Harvest of Shame, Death of Yugoslavia, you could pretty much go on for a long time and not even get to naming the most well known ones like The Smartest Guys In The Room.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

therattle posted:

I just got back from Monty Python live and it was jolly good fun.

I'm so happy that you guys actually say "jolly good".

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The American alternative would be yeeeeehaaa I just got back from seeing Jeff Foxworthy at the local mall and he has got me giddy as a pig on a spit, I tells ya.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Why do documentaries about creepy things always kid-glove the hell out of their subjects? I watched this NatGeo documentary on Russian brides last night because I wanted to cringe, and even though all of the dudes it depicts are giant loving goonlords who do their best to dig their own graves, it only pays the barest of lip service to how hosed up the whole thing is and otherwise treats it as ~the cutest thing ever, gigglesquee!~.

Like, there's about 5 minutes of talking about how the reason why people do this is because they're huge misogynists who want a submissive wife they can abuse/murder, and 45 of "oh look at this guy and his imported third-world wife! Aren't they adorable even though he's a massive goonlord and she looks like she would chew her leg off to get away from him if she had to?"

From what I hear every brony documentary that's been made is also pretty much the same: all "oh it's so cool that they're redefining masculinity!" no "oh my god they made loving pony fleshlights :barf:" even though the latter is way more representative of the Brony Experience.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Why do documentaries about creepy things always kid-glove the hell out of their subjects?

It sounds like you're just watching lovely documentaries.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The American alternative would be yeeeeehaaa I just got back from seeing Jeff Foxworthy at the local mall and he has got me giddy as a pig on a spit, I tells ya.

That's very offensive. We say "I'm lovin it".

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I'm just wondering what the hell would possess someone to make a documentary about something that is 99% bad, and focus on the tiny little sliver of it that's good instead of the vast majority of it that's bad.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Giddy as a pig in poo poo

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
America has a long and proud tradition of minced oaths, gosh darn it. :colbert:

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Religious films bore the poo poo outta of me, and only half of Andrei Rublev bored the poo poo outta me, so it's got my vote.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I've become intrigued by this idea and I'm trying to think of the last good movie we've had like it. I kinda feel like Splice tried for it but went too contemporary-quirky instead of contemporary-mundane and also it wasn't a very good movie.

It doesn't quite fit, but Upstream Color comes close. Although that one's really, really hard to classify. But amazing. Everyone should see Upstream Color.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

SALT CURES HAM posted:

America has a long and proud tradition of minced oaths, gosh darn it. :colbert:

dagnabbit

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MisterBibs posted:

Slice Of Life: I randomly discovered an old Lucasarts game The Dig on Steam. I have a very vivid memory from my youth of a Lucasarts-heavy demo disc (vivid, I think, because it had TIE Fighter on it), of which The Dig was mentioned heavily as an upcoming, exciting game. This was at a time in my life when I couldn't just ask my parents for a new computer game every five seconds, so I never bought it. Part of me wants to pay the five bucks for it, but part of me thinks that I'll get annoyed with the circa-1995 mechanics and designs. As silly as it is, the wonderment I had about the game as a kid is inexplicably precious to me.

If you like otner Lucas Arts adventure game ames and are okay with it not being a straight comedy like Monkey Island, you should definitely get The dig.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Getting back to Battle of Algiers just because I can't get it out of my head: would it be fair to call it the best political film of all time? Let's say "excluding documentaries" just to keep it fair.

I don't think I've seen enough political films (I know all films are political, but gently caress you, we're talking about Battle of Algiers, not some heternormative rom com) to make a good top ten, but I can't imagine Battle of Algiers being left off that list.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I don't think I've seen enough political films (I know all films are political, but gently caress you, we're talking about Battle of Algiers, not some heternormative rom com) to make a good top ten, but I can't imagine Battle of Algiers being left off that list.

All films are political :smugmrgw:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

SALT CURES HAM posted:

All art is political, but not all politics is artful.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Slice of life: I have complete respect for service animals and people who need them, but people who game the ADA so their loving nuisance rear end yappy dog can come into restaurants are the worst people.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I just said I knew that, fine the best political film is Raiders of the lost Arc.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Slice of Life: I had my most successful tweet ever today! :dance: Second semi-viral tweet in as many days! I don't remember sucking any dicks to have this kind of success, but it happened somehow.

I also got caught red-handed pretending to be angry to appease a nonexistent feminist girlfriend. (EDIT: I admit this tweet wasn't my proudest moment, but really?)

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

CloseFriend posted:

I also got caught red-handed pretending to be angry to appease a nonexistent feminist girlfriend. (EDIT: I admit this tweet wasn't my proudest moment, but really?)

Wow, a dumber version of Twitchy. Well, Twitchy did sell for 7 figures and I'm trying really hard to not make a Senor Speilbergo joke and just failed.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
The Battle of Algiers is probably my favorite explicitly political film, but defining what constitutes one is more difficult than rating them.

Where can I find a jacket like this one Iko Uwais rocks in The Raid 2?

That isn't obscenely priced, natch. Is there a particular term for that kind of jacket?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

Slice of Life: I had my most successful tweet ever today! :dance: Second semi-viral tweet in as many days! I don't remember sucking any dicks to have this kind of success, but it happened somehow.

I had a revelation about a small bit of reverse sexism when I read about the Mary Barra interview, because I realized I took it for granted that male CEOs were poo poo dads.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Skwirl posted:

I just said I knew that, fine the best political film is Raiders of the lost Arc.

The film that shows us what would've happened if the Nazis discovered the bomb.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Horror that takes place in locales staffed and observed by upper middle class people in smart clothes. Clinical detachment, philosophical introspection externalized as New Age mad science.

Martyrs.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

reverse sexism

We already have a word for this. The word is "sexism".

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CPL593H posted:

We already have a word for this. The word is "sexism".

I actually got to have this argument at work a few weeks ago, only about racism. I claimed (correctly, goddammit) that "reverse racism" is completely fictional, a term made up by white people so they can feel offended about things too.

This argument came up when I mentioned an argument I had with my roommate earlier that day about Do The Right Thing, which he didn't like because he thought the movie went against it's own message because the black kids were just as racist/bad as the white people.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Yoshifan823 posted:

I actually got to have this argument at work a few weeks ago, only about racism. I claimed (correctly, goddammit) that "reverse racism" is completely fictional, a term made up by white people so they can feel offended about things too.

This argument came up when I mentioned an argument I had with my roommate earlier that day about Do The Right Thing, which he didn't like because he thought the movie went against it's own message because the black kids were just as racist/bad as the white people.

Wait, what did he think the message was?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I Before E posted:

Wait, what did he think the message was?

"Racism is bad," I guess. He was annoyed because the way he saw it, the black kids were just as bad because they were insulting the pizza guy for being white, and goading him into being racist or whatever.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Well, except Transformers.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

grave posting error

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 2, 2014

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Why do documentaries about creepy things always kid-glove the hell out of their subjects? I watched this NatGeo documentary on Russian brides last night because I wanted to cringe, and even though all of the dudes it depicts are giant loving goonlords who do their best to dig their own graves, it only pays the barest of lip service to how hosed up the whole thing is and otherwise treats it as ~the cutest thing ever, gigglesquee!~.

Like, there's about 5 minutes of talking about how the reason why people do this is because they're huge misogynists who want a submissive wife they can abuse/murder, and 45 of "oh look at this guy and his imported third-world wife! Aren't they adorable even though he's a massive goonlord and she looks like she would chew her leg off to get away from him if she had to?"

From what I hear every brony documentary that's been made is also pretty much the same: all "oh it's so cool that they're redefining masculinity!" no "oh my god they made loving pony fleshlights :barf:" even though the latter is way more representative of the Brony Experience.

You're watching a NatGeo documentary, of course they're not going to go all-in on how creepy these people are, because they're initially broadcasting on some NatGeo channel. You can't show the extreme misogyny behind imported wives without disturbing a large portion of the audience, who only want to see an entertaining piece of information on the subject. The audience wants to be a little grossed-out because that's where the interest is, but they don't want to watch something too soul-crushing, in which case they'll simply turn it off.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
The best political movie is Gabriel Over the White House, a right wing fantasy made at the start of the Depression that posited how amazing the United States would be if the angel Gabriel took over the President's body and turned the country into a military dictatorship. It is completely sincere and totally bonkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sheldrake posted:

The best political movie is Gabriel Over the White House, a right wing fantasy made at the start of the Depression that posited how amazing the United States would be if the angel Gabriel took over the President's body and turned the country into a military dictatorship. It is completely sincere and totally bonkers.

This sounds doooooooooope

edit: please tell me it stars a young Ronald Reagan

• Locked thread