Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

From what I remember of ToME's early days, I think DarkGod is just bad at writing optimized code, kind of like the Dwarf Fortress guy. For example (and not to say that ToME is necessarily doing this) if you run a full A* search for every entity on every turn and you have dozens of entities on a large map, then you're going to notice some lag even though the game isn't obviously doing anything difficult.

The game actually runs pretty drat good on Linux if you pipe stdout to a ramdisk or /dev/null/. There's so much unbuffered log spew that it just thrashes the poo poo out a disk on Windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

dis astranagant posted:

The game actually runs pretty drat good on Linux if you pipe stdout to a ramdisk or /dev/null/. There's so much unbuffered log spew that it just thrashes the poo poo out a disk on Windows.

Is THAT what it is?

Is there any way to turn logging off? I'm probably going to get an SSD within the next month or so, but still.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
I personally just found that setting TE4_log to read only worked pretty well.

(Disclaimer: I have no idea how good/bad of an idea this is in general. Never noticed a problem, though.)

I don't think there's an in-game way to disable logs though.

Also of note; I've noticed that online functionality can, if the server or your own internet is chugging, definitely slow down ToME. So that could be part of the problem. And that you can definitely shut off if you want.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well, piping it to a ramdisk is the responsible thing to do in case you need to report a bug but not dealing with it at all is a much better experience for the end user. As far as I know you can only disable logging at compile time.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Geokinesis posted:

In about 2 hrs Sunless Sea unlocks on Steam EA. (If you pre-ordered you have a steam key on your humble bundle library section.)

Is this steampunk FTL or have I made it up?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Wrong thread, whoops!

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 2, 2014

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Fat Samurai posted:

That was my initial impression, but after playing it I'd say it's more like a steampunk/eldritch horror Smugglers V with more player agency. I don't really care too much for Smugglers V though, but from the couple of hours I've played of Sunless Sea it seems pretty fun.

My very first officer was a lady with parasites for eyeballs who basically decided, "gently caress it. I'm gonna die soon anyway, so I may as well die at zea."

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012
Just saw some trailers for a PS4 game called "Deep Down”, which is described as a dungeon crawler and looks like it might have some roguelike appeal. The demo video includes some staples like a chest turning into a monster, and a "casual mode".

I can't find much more with Google. It's being released on the 26th.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Dongsturm posted:

Just saw some trailers for a PS4 game called "Deep Down”, which is described as a dungeon crawler and looks like it might have some roguelike appeal.

The fellas behind Deep Down are indeed building the game in a roguelike fashion. Not turn based, but everything else holds.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is anyone talking about Noir Syndrome? People are calling it a 'roguelike', but I don't really think it applies as much as other games labeled the same. Yes, you get one life, so there's permadeath, but it's a procedurally-generated murder mystery.

I guess it's one of those games that could have people arguing for and against it being labeled roguelike. You really only have a limited time with each playthrough, much more limited than Dungeons of Dredmor, FTL, or Spelunky, even if you're successful, but you do end up getting better and better equipment with each playthrough.

EDIT: Shameless (or shameful?) plug, I made a thread for the game -> http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3646267

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

Well, piping it to a ramdisk is the responsible thing to do in case you need to report a bug but not dealing with it at all is a much better experience for the end user. As far as I know you can only disable logging at compile time.

Most of the logging happens in lua. Using print(), no less, rather than any sort of actual logging API. Jesus.

You don't need to recompile to disable it; just edit bootstrap/boot.lua, and at the start of the file add:

code:
function print() end
This won't get everything -- you'll still see some log output from C -- but based on some quick testing it cuts log output by ~80% or so, probably more over an extended play session where most of the action is happening in lua.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Fat Samurai posted:

It's a bit like FTL in that you're on a ship and most of what happens is text-based. It's pretty different though: way more transparent, in that you can actually see where you're going and what enemies are near you, but also you have a much more limited understanding (basically none) of what the gently caress is around you.

Plus you can and must go backwards, or your crew will wind up eating you and/or throwing themselves into the sea. It's a sweet game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

It has Fallen London writing behind it, and everything I've heard has said that it's well done in the game, so Sunless Sea will probably make for a good buy at some point.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Brogue 1.7.4 is coming out very soon, the author is looking for people to compile Windows and Linux releases.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Sweet, should be about 3-6 months for Oryx Tiles then!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Im_Special posted:

Sweet, should be about 3-6 months for Oryx Tiles then!

Hopefully not, although I don't know why they don't just include the tiles as an option in the main build.

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 3, 2014

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Hack slash loot is the free app of the day on amazon android appstore.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Harminoff posted:

Hack slash loot is the free app of the day on amazon android appstore.

It's not worth the $0.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Prism posted:

It's not worth the $0.

Agreed. Hack Slash Loot is completely terrible, with zero redeeming values whatsoever.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I think it's hilarious the unrelenting hate that Hack Slash Loot gets in this thread every time it comes up.

And it's totally deserved. When the entire game's tactical space can be boiled down into a flowchart that's "Find a Holy / Unholy weapon > Right Click On Enemies > Repeat For 2 Hours > You Win" you know you have something really special.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

RoboCicero posted:

I think it's hilarious the unrelenting hate that Hack Slash Loot gets in this thread every time it comes up.

And it's totally deserved. When the entire game's tactical space can be boiled down into a flowchart that's "Find a Holy / Unholy weapon > Right Click On Enemies > Repeat For 2 Hours > You Win" you know you have something really special.

I own it on Steam from one of the 0.99c sales. I bought it some holiday season where I had a really lovely laptop and hours at the airport and I was like 'okay, I'll download a few small games that don't require a lot of processing power'. At this point, I had never heard of it before; this was a couple years back, in 2012 (maybe even 2011, was it out then?)

According to Steam, I have 14 minutes of gameplay time and have never been interested in reinstalling it.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yeah I remember not hearing good things about it in this thread, just figured it might be worth free. I guess some things aren't even worth that though. Oops

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Your time has an opportunity cost

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is anyone talking about Noir Syndrome? People are calling it a 'roguelike', but I don't really think it applies as much as other games labeled the same. Yes, you get one life, so there's permadeath, but it's a procedurally-generated murder mystery.

I guess it's one of those games that could have people arguing for and against it being labeled roguelike. You really only have a limited time with each playthrough, much more limited than Dungeons of Dredmor, FTL, or Spelunky, even if you're successful, but you do end up getting better and better equipment with each playthrough.

EDIT: Shameless (or shameful?) plug, I made a thread for the game -> http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3646267

I've been playing a good bit of Noir Syndrome since I picked it up on sale. It's a fun little game, but it kinda gets old quick, for me at least.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Brogue 1.7.4 is coming out very soon, the author is looking for people to compile Windows and Linux releases.

Am I being impertinent for wondering why the developer of the game can't compile the darn thing himself? (I want me some new Brogue.)

Also, for anyone who cares, I just put the Brogue Tiles executable in the regular old Brogue directory (with a different name of course), and it works fine. You can save your game and load it with either executable. So you can play now and switch to the Oryx tiles later, or use the Oryx tiles as training wheels. My eyesight is poo poo, so I actually scan the board better with ASCII, but sometimes I use Tiles because it looks pretty neat.

A side note, I've never been able to get Brogue to run natively in Ubuntu or Arch on my six year old netbook, but the Windows version runs dandy in Wine. Practically the only thing that does.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Brogue's ascii looks absolutely gorgeous and I don't know why you'd use anything else.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Jeffrey posted:

Brogue's ascii looks absolutely gorgeous and I don't know why you'd use anything else.

Some folks need that spoonful of sugar. It's best to hold back the derisive air until they realize the superiority inherent in ASCII and make the switch.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

Some folks need that spoonful of sugar. It's best to hold back the derisive air until they realize the superiority inherent in ASCII and make the switch.

hehe, I mean I get using tiles in other games even if im a linux nerd, but where crawl's ascii is utilitarian, brogue's ascii is art

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

doctorfrog posted:

Am I being impertinent for wondering why the developer of the game can't compile the darn thing himself? (I want me some new Brogue.)

He works on and compiles the Mac OS X versions himself, IIRC, because that's the computer he uses.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I don't think I'd really call sunless sea a roguelike, but it is pretty fun if a bit slow paced.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

doctorfrog posted:

This is one of those things I've always wondered if people really feel the difference of, as opposed to having an intellectual argument defending their personal preference/what they started with. (I suspect "What you started with" is extremely powerful in a Roguelike - reinterpreting all that data is a bastard.)

I've played it both ways for dozens of hours and I still prefer the information that tiles provide in Crawl. (The main game I play that has a meaningful distinction; ToME's ASCII is token, DoomRL it barely matters what you're seeing so much as what you're doing, and Angband... actually the last time I tried to play Angband I liked the ASCII better for many reasons.)

Considering I've 15 runed in Crawl and play roguelikes at high speed, I don't think there's a meaningful difference in what you can do with ASCII and how "inherently superior" it is. So the long arguments over it seem more like justification than a discussion, to me.

On a related note, I should really give Brogue a spin the next time I feel like getting killed for a while-er, I mean, feel like learning a new Roguelike. Definitely the game I'm most interested in that I haven't tried yet.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Crawl's tiles also give more info at a casual glance, so hey. Using ASCII for that is kinda criminal.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Crawl's tiles also give more info at a casual glance, so hey. Using ASCII for that is kinda criminal.

It's more nuanced there I think - you get a view of what monsters are holding, but identifying individual monsters is still slower I think. (g gets parsed a lot faster than "drawing of goblin"). I play crawl in ascii but I spectate in tiles so I'm weird myself.

I didn't mean to start this argument again and I regret posting already, forgive me roguelike thread.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

The important thing is that this discussion got me to finally track down Brogue for when I'm in the dying mood, so it's probably all good.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I wasn't super serious in calling ASCII superior, but in Brogue's case, it is much easier to scan and just as meaningful as tiles.

Crawl's tiles, on the other hand, were a real evolution in the interface.

Depends on the game. But it's also pretty fun to act like ASCII is just somehow better.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Brogue 1.7.4

quote:

New with v1.7.4:
New content:
Added the Warden of Yendor, a slow but invulnerable creature that will permanently stalk you after you take the amulet.
Added whips as a new weapon type with a unique attack pattern (now shared by salamanders).
Added flails as a new weapon type with a unique attack pattern.
Added rings of reaping, which recharge your staffs and charms in proportion to the melee damage you inflict.
Added commutation altars, which swap the enchantment levels between two items, as a possible vault in depths 13-26.
Added resurrection altars, which raise your most recently deceased ally from the dead, as a possible vault in depths 13-26.
Added glass dewars, which release large quantities of gas when broken.
Added scrolls of discord and scrolls of sanctuary.
Added a new legendary ally: the mangrove dryad.
Added two new quest rooms and more dungeon flavor.
Added an alarm trap, which aggravates monsters from up to half of the radius of the level.
Gameplay changes:
Maces and war hammers take two turns only when your attack hits; misses take only one turn.
Daggers do 5x damage upon a sneak attack instead of 3x.
Weapons generally have been rebalanced: daggers require 12 strength instead of 10; maces and war hammers deal less damage per hit; axes, war axes and war pikes deal slightly more damage; and weapon damage overall has slightly less variance.
Stealth radius starts at 7 instead of 6. Stealth radius is fixed at 1 when you are invisible. When visible and not resting, stealth has a lower bound of 2.
Rings of transference provide 5% recovery per enchantment level instead of 10%, but now work on all direct damage (including thrown weapons, lightning and firebolts) instead of only melee damage.
Turrets and totems other than mirror totems will fire on you only if they are within your stealth radius.
An item vault will not spawn more than one of the same item type.
Weapons of slaying and armor of immunity are effective against a class of monsters instead of just a single monster type.
Monster mutations are more common in the deeper epilogue depths.
Poison deals escalating damage with each additional dose.
The food clock is slightly more generous at deeper levels.
Weapons, armor, staffs, rings and charms can be found, rarely, with higher natural enchantment levels.
Goblins, ogres and dar will try to avoid attacking in corridors when they’re in groups.
Scrolls of aggravate monster will cause monsters to hunt you from across the level.
Empowerment fully heals creatures and cures status ailments.
Traps are present much earlier in the dungeon, but are pre-revealed on these earlier depths.
Bridges collapse systematically when any portion is burned.
Allies do not flee from mirror totems.
Fleeing enemies will sometimes try to hide in secret rooms.
Monkeys are less common.
Decreased the recharge delay of the charm of recharging at higher enchantment levels.
The effect of wands of slowing lasts for 50 turns.
Obstruction crystals will darken one turn before vanishing, and obstruction crystals in which creatures or the player are embedded will vanish one turn after being exposed to air.
Invisible creatures standing in gas can be targeted by other creatures’ projectile attacks.
Corrosion by acid will remove good runics from weapons and armor when their enchantment value reaches zero.
Vampiric monsters won’t regain health from you if you have runic armor of immunity that is effective against that monster type.
Captive monsters can’t submerge.
Non-aquatic grappling monsters can hit levitating monsters.
Items that fall through a hidden trap door while in view will reveal the trap door.
Wands of empowerment auto-identify when used.
Allies won’t defect if you hurl another monster against them with a weapon of force, although they will still take damage from the impact.
UI changes:
Added percentage displays to the item discoveries screen, which reflect how likely an unidentified item of a given category is to be a particular type. (No percentage is listed for potions of strength or life or scrolls of enchanting because those items’ prevalence is dynamically adjusted so that roughly the same number are found at roughly the same pace between games.)
When color effects are disabled, there is a visual indicator of light level, and allies are displayed in white for greater visual distinctiveness.
Exploration mode indicates where it will take you before activating, and is interrupted when you see a key or locked door.
Pathing will not indirectly reveal changes of terrain in areas that are out of view.
Added a relabel command to change the reference letter of items in your pack.
Mousing over an item you remember seeing elsewhere on the level will reveal item kind and quantity as well as item category.
Objects that can be seen directly are listed in the sidebar above objects that can be seen via telepathy/clairvoyance/omniscience.
Added failsafes to guard against accidentally blinking into lava.
Monster mutations are no longer displayed while you’re hallucinating.
Nets, webs and nausea won’t interrupt auto-explore; nor will the reappearance of a monster that was in view when exploration/travel began.
Targeting indicators for identified wands and staffs are colored to match the bolt of the wand/staff to reduce instances of accidentally throwing staffs.
Explosive creatures have an intense orange glow.
Added easy mode activation to the action menu.
Item descriptions reveal what depth the item was found on, and item descriptions for staffs reveal how many turns it typically takes to recover a charge.
Bug fixes:
Fixed a crash when a vampire summoned bats.
Fixed a crash when exploring goblin warrens.
Fixed a bug that could cause certain door-opening pressure plates to be walled off from the level.
Fixed a bug that double-counted weakness status penalties against the player.
Fixed a bug that allowed monsters to escape from webs and nets faster than the player.
Fixed several sources of out-of-sync errors during replays and saved game reloading.
Spectral clones of explosive or infected enemies created by armor of multiplicity do not explode or infect upon death or expiration.
Split clones of mutated jellies will properly inherit any mutation effects of their progenitor.
Fixed several bugs with replay UI.
Fixed a bug that sometimes caused polymorph to do nothing (when the randomly chosen polymorph type was already the type of the monster).
Fixed a bug that permitted allies to cast bolts at reflective opponents.
Fixed a bug that caused polymorphed monkeys/imps with a stolen item to continue fleeing.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Depressing Drawers posted:

I guess I'll pimp my roguelike here while the thread is on the front page, since you guys might be interested in it;

Illuminascii;

FPS ascii based roguelike / roguelite thing

This is a cool concepts but I really hate the control, it feels like you're walking through molasses and it's really easy to get stuck on the terrain.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

Brogue 1.7.4
Monkeys are less common.

:worship:

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I don't think I'd really call sunless sea a roguelike, but it is pretty fun if a bit slow paced.

Yeah, I agree, and I'm usually pretty generous with what constitutes a roguelike as well. It's still a fun game though, in my opinion it just has more in common with Pirates! and the Smugglers games than anything else.

My last game ended after I had two consecutive crews take off with a salvaged pirate vessel never to be seen again, then due to some half assed repairs my engine blew burning the rest of the crew to death, and leaving only the Captain alive with a half powered vessel. Since I had no money for repairs or replacement crew I decided to press on and hope for the best. Not much later the Captain was eventually snatched off the deck by a giant eel like creature and my ship was left to drift empty and forgotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If that's both as normal enemy monkeys as well as sidekicks, hell, that's :worship::worship: