Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I forgot how fantastically lovely your Altima is.

It is unbelievably lovely, and yet it finds a way to be one of the most reliable (Read: not stranding me or being rendered unusable) cars I've owned :v:

The list of issues is as follows:

- Rust everywhere, you need a tetanus shot just after taking a good look. The carpet is structural, and over the past years it has employed active weight reduction by periodically losing sheetmetal to this cancer.
- Any and all fluids leak at various rates, topped up as necessary. Oil has recently started leaking at a somewhat worrying amount, but the dipstick shows the level hasn't gone down much so it'll be topped up as necessary. Oil pan gasket, rear main seal, and valve cover gasket are all leaky, free rust management!
- Cooling system is being funky, sporadically on the verge of overheating, coolant level is normal, confirmed by OBDII reader that coolant temp sits around 94*c idling, driving around it cools off a little
- Multicoloured look because of aforementioned rust issues (Previous doors would trip the door ajar sensors since there wasn't enough metal left to depress the sensor) mismatched trim pieces because :effort:
- A/C works when stationary, once moving stops blowing cold
- Clutch is a shadow of its formal self, acts like a torque converter essentially, either really worn out, soaked in oil from rms, or both. Effectively makes the car drive like it has 25-50 ft-lbs of torque. Cannot sustain highway speeds in 5th going up a gentle hill or against a headwind.
- CD player doesn't play CD's, tape deck stopped accepting tapes too so no aux in for me.
- Subframe and all bolts underneath are a single mass of rust and oil, trying to do any preventative maintenance or fixing above issues would result in countless hours of cursing, snapping bolts, and having to replace everything since it will most likely crumble if disturbed.
- Clearcoat is peeling in impressively large sheets on the roof, just started this last week.
- Shifter return springs are shot so it doesn't self centre, minor inconvenience
- Trunk keyhole is broken/jammed and truck release is broken in such a way that the drivers footwell lever must be held, have devised a method that involves hooking a bungee cord onto the B pillar trim to hold the lever up so that I can open the trunk by myself.
- Transported the rear subframe upside down so the Baja diff fluid leaked out in the trunk and now the whole car smells of gear oil, yay!
- Driverside mirror has a nice chip and the housing is cracked due to being sideswiped in the winter.
- Front bumper is missing a fog light and has duct-tape holding the lower valence together, I think it was due to running into a chuck of ice in winter.
- Various dings/scratches from university parking

There's probably more I have blocked out or forgotten.

Rust has pretty much claimed the car so now it's pretty much a challenge to see how much maintenance debt it can amass before being sent to scrap or written off by a minor accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
As a guy who spilled gear oil in the back of a Subaru, what you want to do is go to Wal-Mart, in the home air freshener section, and get an armful of $5 Air Sponges. Pop one open every three weeks and it should absorb most of the stench.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

As a guy who spilled gear oil in the back of a Subaru, what you want to do is go to Wal-Mart, in the home air freshener section, and get an armful of $5 Air Sponges. Pop one open every three weeks and it should absorb most of the stench.

On the way home from picking up my replacement trans, the transmission tipped over in the back of my moms ford escape and farted all the gear oil out the axle hole.

Had to rip the carpet out and pressure wash it and it still smells.

Happy mothers day mom

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

jamal posted:

I'm shocked they're not using it on the 2015 sti.

I was pretty disappointed to see that the engine in the new car isn't much different than 10 years ago.

E: replying a page back. :bang:

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 3, 2014

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

:dance: AutoX :dance: AutoX :dance: AutoX :dance:

Photos courtesy of SoloSnapshots

First off, of course, snow in May.

Second, The Veloster is much shorter, thinner, and lighter than the Baja and yet I keep trying to drive it like a wide awd behemoth. This results in having enough room between cones to host a dinner party.

Last off, going from heavy and awd to relatively light and fwd is taking a bit of adjusting. Add in that I have been off the track for two years and there's lots of adjustments to do before I become smooth through the cones again.

All in all it was a great time, huge grin on my face at the end of the day. Managed to go through 6 runs (4 timed, two fun runs) and only hit 2 cones on my last run, otherwise all clean runs. Once I figure out the dimensions of the car I should be hitting more cones.

In other news, we should be ready to leave for Toronto at the crack of noon.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Update incoming within the week, I spend money like it's going out of style itt. Pictures to follow

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What else do you do with money? People who save it don't have bitchin' Subaruminos.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
I'm not 100% with my DccDPro? In really sloppy conditions it tends to unlock the Diff.

Ever spun a car in the opposite way you were turning? I managed it!

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Hmmm... too late now anyway, oh well, I guess I'll see how it handles in my case. Either way still should be miles ahead of the viscous center.

And onto another roadtrip adventure in the name of the Baja.

We begin with a glamour shot of the Hyundai, the trusty reliable parts hauler in this adventure.

As you all know, shooting a lot of torque through the 5 speed is a ticking time bomb, and the oversized-for-the-wrx tires weren't helping either. Things went klunk and the shiny metal bits that make the transmission work started to come out, solution was to go even nuttier with the project and pickup an STI trans. Found a 2013 trans swap package in Toronto for a good price, but seller doesn't do shipping, I was left with two options, either find a way to get it shipped, or spend twice as much and just go pick it up myself under the guise of another roadtrip/vacation. You should know which one I opted to do.

quote:

Location: Toronto, ON - CANADA (Local pickup only, no shipping)

2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Transmission swap available with 10,xxxKM on all the parts. Everything in proper working condition. Serious inquiries only.

USDM EJ257 Transmission SWAP Including:
- 6 Speed Manual Tranny
- Mounts
- Starter
- Shifter Linkage
- Front Drive Shafts
- Rear Drive Shafts
- Main Shaft
- Rear Differential

Overall great guy to deal with, ended up spending over two hours shooting the poo poo at the shop, and even managed to get a shiftknob thrown in.

The drive out was interesting, took two and half days to drive there, and two and a half to drive back, we took our time and enjoyed to road.

After driving through BC, the sights weren't as visually stunning as the Canadian Rockies, but still cool to see and interesting to look at.

Rocks and trees, and trees and rocks, and rocks and trees, and wateeeerrrr!

The drive through the twisty sections was pretty fun on the way out, lots of elevation changes and winding roads going through the Canadian shield. The Veloster can definitely hold its own, was a blast to drive.

In Wawa, ON we went to a diner for an early lunch and witnessed an older man walk in, order a beer, down it in one go, and walk out to drive away in his truck. Wow is all I can say.

And time for a crazy trucker story:

Single lane highway each way in Ontario, around 10-11pm, car in front going a bit under the speed limit (5-10km/hr fluctuation, no cruise maybe?). Oncoming cars, and I have a trucker behind me who decided to throw lovely blue HID's into his headlights which are positioned at a height that's perfect for shining through my back window, especially since he's sitting a foot or two off my bumper. The inside of our car is lit up to a ridiculous extent, I can see the inside of the car infront being lit up as well. Of course with oncoming traffic there isn't room to pass for about 30 min. 30 mins of being blinded as gently caress, I'm a little irritated to say the least, and I doubt the car infront is happy with the situation either. Finally there's a passing zone and the truck goes past, I pass the car infront so I can put cruise on and throw on my highbeams to return the favor to the trucker. At this point the starts swerving around the road and is going up on the shoulder, I figure he's trying to kick up rocks but there's a few issues with his plan.

1. I'm far enough back that nothing is reaching me
2. I'm actually in my lane so nothing is being projected towards me

At this point I should note that he's hauling a load of brand new cars, and although I hope they have some sort of protection against debris being thrown from the tires, with him swerving around I think whatever is in place might be inadequate and he might have scratched up some new cars (confirm/deny?)

Once his brilliant "swerve around the road to kick up rocks" plan failed he stops in the middle of the road, and opens his door. It's late, he's road raging, I'm not going to risk a confrontation with a more than likely tired and pissed trucker who's got anger issues and might have a weapon in the cab. I accelerate around him and as I'm going, he throws something at us, and we hear *ting *ting *ting *ting. He didn't have time to reach down so I don't think it was gravel, maybe change or crazy trucker teeth, who knows. We go off thinking that's that and continue on our way. A few minutes later I look in my rearview and there's the trucker, barreling down this single lane highway at speeds I'd estimate at 150-160km/hr. Well, poo poo, he's actually crazy crazy. We outrun him, get a minute or two lead on him, passing a few cars in the meantime and pull onto a side street, flip around and kill the lights and wait. One car passes, going what appears to be the speed limit, next we see the trucker zoom by at blistering speed. We wait a few mins and pull back onto the highway. Next township we reach we turn off and find a nice motel.

Next morning we assess the damage.

Two small scratches on the rear quarter, buffed out really easy. Kind of wish we could have grabbed a plate number, but when he was behind us the lights were blinding us, and when we were behind him we were either too far back or preoccupied with getting the hell away.

Well, made it to Toronto! I hate driving in this city. Too many people, and holy poo poo some of the roads make Winnipeg roads fell glass smooth.
Picked up the transmission, stuffed in the back of the hatch, strapped it down and bungie corded the crap out of it so that it would stay put, and set off to go to Niagara falls.

And we made it to Niagara Falls

Very touristy place, but oh well, We're tourists, time to embrace it. We stayed for two nights at a nice hotel on the 8th floor with a view of the falls and it ended up being the most affordable place we stayed the entire trip. Tiny town motels and the motel from hell (more on this later) cost us more than this place, what the hell.

We went to go see the bird kingdom and it was a great experience, definitely worth the entry.

We saw an angry Australian

And got to play with these Australians as well

My fiance was apparently not satisfied with the friendly ones that flew onto us, and the ones that were around our feet, and decided she wanted to grab the rear end in a top hat ones sitting on the anti-social branch and they ended up being very bite-y. Lessen learned.

And saw this radical bird too

After we had our fill at the bird kingdom we made our way to the butterfly conservatory. It's quite the experience walking into a place with that many butterflies, it's like walking through a fairy tail. Only downside is you go through it fairly quick(30min-1hr compared to a few hours for the bird kingdom) and it's really hot and humid in there.

After our stay in Niagara, we made our way back and the road was pretty uneventful. We saw a moose. A baby moose. Just standing on the side of the road, looked as though it was contemplating life, not chewing, not moving, nothing but staring into the distance. The only exciting thing that happened was the motel from hell. It's late at night, it started misting, we stop at some motel/gas station and talk to the clerk. The place is called Cosiana/Filane's Motel off of HWY 17 in Schreiber, ON. He orginally wants $130+tax for a room, ridiculous, being tired and unsure of where the next motel is going to be and with the lovely conditions outside, I manage to get him down to $75 tax included, still pricey but better than continuing driving. As we enter the room, it's like stepping into the 70's. 2-3" crimson red shag carpet, a tube tv with no remote, two tiny beds (smaller than a twin, my feet were hanging off the end) and one small 40w bulb to give light for the entire room. Go to the washroom and we find pubes on the bath towels and mold growing around the tub. Ok, so no showering, just sleep and leave. We decided to suck it up and just get a few hours of sleep and leave as quickly as possible in the morning. Well, that sort of happened.

I got woken up at 4:00 am by the sound of mice/rats scurrying through the walls and chewing on things in the room, crazy how loud they can be. I wake up my fiance and we get the hell out of dodge. Nobody is staffing the motel so we have nobody to talk to. Of course there's a really thick fog outside so it takes us almost an hour to get to the next town about 20km away, thankfully after that it cleared up a little and we made it back to Winnipeg.

And we're back

May 14, 2014 - SNOW.

A few weeks later I finally got around to detailing the Veloster to get rid of the all the microscratches the dealer introduced upon their pre-deliver "detail" and to fix the crazy trucker damage.

Came out rather nicely I have to say.

Thanks to SiF I managed to track these down and get them. Made to order apparently, and in a stunning purple. Add that to the pile of bushings waiting for install.

In a frenzy to get rid of all my money, I bought two sets of tires for the Veloster

The winter set alone comes out to around $960 locally, so much cheaper through tire rack even after the conversion. I might have forgotten to mention, but I picked up a set of base model wheels for around $200 plus shipping as a set of winter wheels.

And Jamal, if you have kids, I'll be putting them through college.

It's going to be exciting throwing on a proper suspension.

And finally, I got around to organizing the garage to free up some room. Still have to figure out what to do with a lot of it, but at least it's much cleaner and roomier than before.

I got so used to the Veloster's exhaust that when I turned on the Baja it was like a religious experience. I need to get that subie rumble back on a regular basis.

One last closing remark - need new summer tires for the Baja since I chewed up the last set on the BC roadtrip. This time I'm going wider and shorter. Previously it had 235/55R17 and this time around I'm going to try 245/45R17 which appears to be a much more popular size so tires are cheaper. I keep coming back to the Sumitomo HTR ZIII tires as they seem to be a good performer, get good reviews, I've liked them in the past, and they're probably the most affordable max performance summer tire on tire rack. The smaller circumference should be more in line with what the WRX/STI OEM size is, while still being big enough to fill the wheel wells. Thoughts?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Holy poo poo, you really did go nuts. Those RCE coilovers are really good in Impreza fitment.

I'm hearing good things about MapDCCD as opposed to DCCDPro right now.

Sorry to hear Ontario was as crazy for you as it always seems to be for me. Next time, come out west.

I just bought a set of RE760s and I like them quite a bit. They're heavy tires, but they seem to be pretty quiet and still fairly grippy. Definitely not autocross tires though. I have driven a few cars with those Sumitomos and they're basically the same as the RE760s except cheaper (why did I buy the RE760s?)

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 14, 2014

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Sorry to hear Ontario was as crazy for you as it always seems to be for me. Next time, come out west.

His story is essentially my daily commute to Kitchener. We've all gotten used to it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
:siren: I QUOTED A MASSIVE POST TO ADD TWO LINES :siren:

I just bought a set of those for my S2K. I scoured the reviews from people with the same/similar car and pretty much everyone said the same things you just did

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 16, 2014

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I too have bought those tires on my last two cars (and didn't need to quote a huge wall of text/pics to tell you :v:). They're hard to beat for the price you pay.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Holy poo poo, you really did go nuts. Those RCE coilovers are really good in Impreza fitment.

I'm hearing good things about MapDCCD as opposed to DCCDPro right now.

Jamal recommended the RCE coilovers, from everything I've read they should be stellar. Just looked into MapDCCD and it looks pretty nifty too, honestly not going to be doing crazy competition style driving, this whole project follows the "Just for Fun" and Jack of all trades mentalities rather than being purpose built for any one purpose. Coming from the WRX 5 speed with open front and rear to LSD in front and rear with the DCCD, it'll probably take a while before I even think to start complaining about how the DCCD is being handled (At least from when I looked at DCCDPro, they were getting pretty good reviews for a while now so I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake going with it over the other options.)

8ender posted:

His story is essentially my daily commute to Kitchener. We've all gotten used to it.

Well, at least I wasn't singled out :v: Going to be moving out west eventually so I'll be a little farther from that particular brand of crazy on the roads.

I just bought a set of RE760s and I like them quite a bit. They're heavy tires, but they seem to be pretty quiet and still fairly grippy. Definitely not autocross tires though. I have driven a few cars with those Sumitomos and they're basically the same as the RE760s except cheaper (why did I buy the RE760s?)

Nodoze posted:

I just bought a set of those for my S2K. I scoured the reviews from people with the same/similar car and pretty much everyone said the same things you just did

Larrymer posted:

I too have bought those tires on my last two cars (and didn't need to quote a huge wall of text/pics to tell you :v:). They're hard to beat for the price you pay.

I was kind of hoping there would be a little more competition since when I first got them in 09, would be nice to try out a different brand and tread pattern just to see what the differences would be (All my summer tires up to this point, and most likely in the future until something else can beat them on value, have been the Sumitomo HTZ III) But it seems like they're still the champ when it comes to performance/$. The TireRack review video on them is pretty positive about them too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffY1Dp-_-7A

Next cheapest tires with better reviews are the DW's at $127, Difference of $156 for a full set, not a huge difference but not exactly pocket change either.

Maybe one day I'll go for the no-expense-spared tire option, but this time around the Sumitomo's have me convinced.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

So quick update:

The leading solution to getting the axles to play nice is to build hybrid axles using the STI shafts and inner ends, while using the WRX/Baja outer ends for the front/rear respectively. If these are compatible with the axles I have at hand I'll have to get in contact with this guy and order two set:

SuberDave Hybrid Bearing Races

So I opened up some CV boots to have a look.

Baja Rear Outer CV (6 ball race)

STI Rear Outer CV (8 ball race)

STI Front Outer CV (6 ball race)

WRX Front Outer CV (6 ball race)

I still have to take out one of the WRX front axles and see what style of bearing cage is in there I was planning on either ordering through the link above if I can find that all my axles are compatible, otherwise I'll have to look into getting one of the local machine shops to either bore out the WRX/Baja races to accept the STI axles or having ones custom made locally.

Any advice on getting the joint apart? I read there should be a retaining ring holding it together but I don't see anything, don't know if I'm missing something or if these come apart differently, Subaru manual only goes through rebuilding the inner joints (that I've found so far) which are constructed differently from the outer joints.

Edit: From the looks of it, and a few quick measurements, it might be possible to use the STI 6 ball inner race with the WRX 6 ball cage and axle stub for the front axles. The rear is still going to be a little bit of playing around but if the front works how I hope it will then that'll at least be one set out of the way. Cross your fingers.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 18, 2014

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Actually, from a machinist point if view, how would it be to machine the splines on the STI axles to fit the wrx bearing races? Possible or bad idea?

E: this is going to take some thinking, just realized the adapter is for the inner joints, going to have to take them apart tomorrow and check. Going to get some measurements of the shafts and spline counts to see where it all stands.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 17, 2014

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Bajaha posted:

I was kind of hoping there would be a little more competition since when I first got them in 09, would be nice to try out a different brand and tread pattern just to see what the differences would be (All my summer tires up to this point, and most likely in the future until something else can beat them on value, have been the Sumitomo HTZ III) But it seems like they're still the champ when it comes to performance/$. The TireRack review video on them is pretty positive about them too.

Maybe one day I'll go for the no-expense-spared tire option, but this time around the Sumitomo's have me convinced.

Those are terrific tires. I ran them in 09 with my GTI. Held up with some auto crossing and were overall a terrific tire. I've since moved on to pilot super sports for 'inexpensive' performance tires. The sumitomos are really hard to beat though.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have an update.

First up, the front axles:

As you can see, the STI joint is bigger than the WRX one and unfortunately there's no easy solution for getting the two to work together. On top of that I was struggling to get the other end of the CV joint apart, pipe trick failed, actually had a friend build the tool I had pictured earlier and that failed to split it as well. I was stuck...

And in comes Jamal, as I was inquiring about even more new and exciting ways of throwing my money at him I casually mention my axle woes, in his reply I found my answer. Apparently I'm a dolt that makes somewhat-reasonable assumptions without actually double checking to make sure my assumptions are correct that have caused me to put a lot more time and effort into a problem that doesn't exist. Turns out that the 05+ WRX & STI share the same axle stub on the transmission side, thus I can simply use my '10 WRX axles and they will slide into the '13 STI transmission. I confirmed my idiocy and felt something that I can only describe as joyful-shame relief.

Front axles are now sorted out. Just have to put together my WRX axle (need to replace the inner boot that has a pinhole since it's apart, hopefully I can order the proper boot since the last time I ordered one I received the outer boot instead and it was too late for an exchange)

Now for the rear axles...

Behold, the organized mess:

And my saving grace for the rear, the suberdave adapter bearing races:

They LIVE! AHAHAHAHAHA

Hybrid axles are all sorted out and good to go. Only thing left is to put on the clamps so I ordered a tool from Amazon that supposedly makes it much easier to do, they are a pain in the rear end to do without the right tool.

While I was dicking around with the axles, I also tried my hand at replacing the cam seals since one (or more) is weeping. All I have to say is ...
gently caress YOU SUBARU CAM BOLTS!

Cam bolts are being a bitch to take off. R-intake came off no problem, R-exhaust and L-intake had to be taken off by jamming a breaker bar against the frame and bumping the starter a few times, but L-exhaust is being a major pain in the rear end. Tried the starter trick but it stripped out in a hurry, vice grips just keep chewing up the outside and keep falling off, taking tiny pieces/chips of the plastic exhaust cam with them. :suicide:

Now it looks like next step is to drill it out.

In a fit of rage I now have a set of TiC FU Cam bolts on order to replace the bullshit Allen key fitting for the stock cam bolts. Of course they're on back order and I've got my US trip booked for July 11th, hopefully they make it.

In other news, I'm trying to get of my 16" wheel and tire collection and stick to the 17" enkies and gunmetal WRX wheels in anticipation of a future brake upgrade. Have them listed up on Kijiji (Canadian equivalent to Craigslist which isn't too popular up here) for what appears to be market value (from looking at other listings) so we'll see if anyone bites / how bad I get lowballed.

Also the Veloster is getting new tires to replace the crappy all seasons it came with from the factory

It also has had new and exciting features, for example the GPS would have you believe the Veloster is an aquatic vehicle:

Here's the cheeky little thing, look at that, absolutely no remorse.

Yet another Dealer "Fix my poo poo" trip.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
You thread is singlehandedly making me not trust hyundais.

Soodonim
Jul 3, 2007

woooosh!
My wife and I put 168000 miles on her 2004 Sonata. Zero issues over 8 years of ownership, and I sold it for $4000 because it still looked and drove like new.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
My girlfriend has had her 04' Elantra Shitbox Deluxe for ~3 years and absolutely hammers on it in NYC and it has yet to have a single failure, I'm actually quite baffled.

However this Veloster seems to either be a lemon or Hyundai fired all their engineers to hire better designers.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Can you tell me about the gold wheels? Are they a factory Subaru wheel? What's the size/offset of those?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Oh god I want those snowflake wheels so goddamn hard. But shipping would kill me, and I don't really need another set of wheels. :(

Also good god those axles. I wonder how cheap a 3.90 R180 is on eBay, my TS doesn't like to put the power down coming through corners in the rear.

savesthedayrocks posted:

Can you tell me about the gold wheels? Are they a factory Subaru wheel? What's the size/offset of those?

Those are the 16" snowflakes from a Legacy. NASIOC reports:

quote:

Size: 16x6.5"
Offset: +55
Bolt pattern: 5x100
Wheel Weight: 20 pounds
OEM-equipped tire size: 205/55R16

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 2, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Soodonim posted:

My wife and I put 168000 miles on her 2004 Sonata. Zero issues over 8 years of ownership, and I sold it for $4000 because it still looked and drove like new.

2009 V6 Sonata that I drive WOT pretty much everywhere (250HP isn't that much, but it's still enough to be fun when the slushbox feels like picking the correct gears), and I'm wracking my brain for anything that's ever been wrong with it. I had to replace the rear calipers, but that was my fault. Uh... the spring fell off one of the center console cubby doors so it doesn't open on its own any more? That's all I got.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Quick counterpoint to the anecdotal Hyundai reliability: The front brake pads on my father in law's 2009 Elantra lasted longer than the transmission. However, it only had 70k miles, so powertrain warranty took care of it.

They've had great warranty luck in general, Honda replaced a block under warranty on my mother in law's Civic with 130k miles. It really impressed me that Honda would stand by a car that long.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Counterpoint: Winnipeg.

Even normally reliable cars are willing to die because it's so loving miserable.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, my Veloster has been rock-solid reliable, but I don't expose it to Hoth-like temperatures :v:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

savesthedayrocks posted:

SSS answered that perfectly, The wheels look nicer in the pics, they definitely have their fair share of scratches/road rash. So far I've been messaged by a Californian scammer by the name of Pedro Gonzales, so that was pretty quick. I think Winnipeg-ers are known for their cheapness too so I've left myself a good amount of wiggle room so that they can feel accomplished in talking me down.

SSS, I'd probably search through the NASIOC part-out classifieds for an R180, might be able to find something local too (I thought I saw some part-outs in alberta when I was looking for a trans swap) The custom bearing races are pricey for what they are, but a lot cheaper than custom axles from DSS or other solutions if you don't want to go the STI hub route. On the plus side, suberdave is really quick with communication and shipping, and the part fits without any issues. As the only source for this sort of part, I guess he can ask what he wants for them.

slidebite posted:

Counterpoint: Winnipeg.

Even normally reliable cars are willing to die because it's so loving miserable.

Yeah, between the -50*c low temps, hurricane like winds (knocking-down-trees strong on occasion), blazing hot summers, and pot-hole riddled roads Winnipeg is a perfect storm of vehicle abuse. Someone want to remind me why I still live here...

To add to the ever growing list of Veloster issues, we just got the blower fan replaced because ours would chirp when set to the "1" setting, they acknowledged the GPS issues and are waiting on their corporate tech team or whatever to advise as to what parts to replace, the Veloster badging on the rear license plate surround has fallen off so they ordered a new badge for it, and the driver floor mat has lost its "Veloster" embroidered patch so they ordered a new floor mat for it.

Original plan was to keep the car 5-6 years and sell, then that was shortened to 4 years, and now I'm considering unloading it after 3.
I don't believe that every Hyundai is a POS, it's just we got one that apparently was built by drunk and/or disgruntled employees and is a Lemon, talking to our salesman he even admitted it sounds like a lemon. Due to Canada's non-existent Lemon law, I'm going to wait until we get an absurdly long list of issues and/or an issue they can't fix and then go to arbitration in hopes of a buyback, at this time we're stuck with ridding these issues out.

Tune in next week for whatever new issues arise in the Blue Lemontm

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

e: Is the frost even out of the ground yet there? I am not joking. Honest question.

Bajaha posted:

Due to Canada's non-existent Lemon law, I'm going to wait until we get an absurdly long list of issues and/or an issue they can't fix and then go to arbitration in hopes of a buyback, at this time we're stuck with ridding these issues out.

Tune in next week for whatever new issues arise in the Blue Lemontm

http://www.camvap.ca/arbitration/agreement/

Document everything and give the mfg every opportunity to fix it. Sounds like you're already doing both.

If you still keep having problems you're far more likely to have a decision in your favor.

A quick glimpse of the 2013 statistics shows a good amount of buy-backs and other compensation awarded.

e: Sidenote, shockingly few GM claims :monocle:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 2, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I can't believe even the floor mats are lemons on your Veloster. You should post the repair history on TrueDelta or something, the current year of Veloster is taking a beating in reliability from the looks of it.

Bajaha posted:

SSS, I'd probably search through the NASIOC part-out classifieds for an R180, might be able to find something local too (I thought I saw some part-outs in alberta when I was looking for a trans swap) The custom bearing races are pricey for what they are, but a lot cheaper than custom axles from DSS or other solutions if you don't want to go the STI hub route. On the plus side, suberdave is really quick with communication and shipping, and the part fits without any issues. As the only source for this sort of part, I guess he can ask what he wants for them.

gently caress you, dude. I did not need to contemplate this swap any further. It's like a magnet, pulling my wallet towards the used parts section on WSC...

I will have my revenge.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 2, 2014

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
The Canadian buyback is complicated, and you are eligible for more money (probably don't end up being upside down) if the car has less than 25k km on it and less than 1 year old.
Plus the buyback amount is subtracted by price x (odo reading / 160000).
So don't put too many miles on it before you try for arbitration.

I was looking at it when the transmission in my pathfinder failed at 9k km, and then is acting up again at 14k km.
Seems like if they fix it at the dealer, then everything is a-ok and you get to keep the car.
US lemon laws seem so nice compared to Canadas.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

So far the Veloster is at 13k km's, mostly due to US trips and the Toronto trip, trying to keep the average at 20k km a year to maximize the warranty period (Canada only gets 5yr/100k km while I hear the US gets 10yr/160k km) I'd rather avoid arbitration as I hear it's a little bit of a PITA, it would be easier if we had more huge issues than the little mountain of small issues. Maybe once everything goes wrong and is fixed it'll finally be reliable, or it'll get written off and won't be our problem any more.

It's like a magnet, pulling my wallet towards the used parts section on WSC...

:homebrew:

In other news, getting the Veloster tires mounted on the wheels by a local tire guy (works in a performance shop outside of town and does pickup/delivery with a 1 day turn around) so I put it up on jackstands while the wheels are off getting new rubber.

Doing this song and dance since the guy gets good reviews on the local tuner forum, uses high-end machines for mounting and balancing, and was about half price of what walmart charges for mounting and balancing without the "this size isn't listed on the door jamb, we won't touch it" attitude.

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

Bajaha posted:

Doing this song and dance since the guy gets good reviews on the local tuner forum, uses high-end machines for mounting and balancing, and was about half price of what walmart charges for mounting and balancing without the "this size isn't listed on the door jamb, we won't touch it" attitude.

I do the same song and dance but it's because I don't want a shop touching my car. I think once I get a new car with a warranty I'm going to have a hard time coping. I say all this because I have seen the handy work of both body shops and mechanics on several customers cars in my area.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah I do the same, throw a spare set on and drive the wheels to the tire shop. Another benefit is that I don't have to wait around for them to do the mounting. Also saves me driving home on 60psi. My local shop does a really good job on mounting/balancing but NOTHING else. I had to use a 10 foot breaker bar on all 16 lugs on a friend's car after he went there. Also he went back and they shattered his t00ner lug adaptor with their stupid rear end impacts.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Huh, didn't know it was that popular. Usually I have more than one set for the car already mounted and ready to go so I just drop off wheels & tires and pickup after, but this time I was doing both at once and didn't have a spare set for the Veloster. Baja's still on stands so once the tries come in I'll have them sent off for mounting as well. Funny enough the two sets for the Baja were about $100 cheaper than the Velosters tires, guess the sizes I got for the Baja are more popular so economics of scale comes in.

On a related note, threw these up on Kijiji as well, the much beloved Kumho Solus KH25 'Grand Touring' all seasons :rolleyes:

Hopefully over-processed pics will sway someone into buying them.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Bajaha posted:

Hopefully over-processed pics will sway someone into buying them.

This is Pedro - you didn't get back to me about your last set of wheels and now you're posting these sexy tires? CONTACT ME NOW.

I run two sets of wheels, so just get things mounted up a few weeks early and swap them at my convenience.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Sockington posted:

This is Pedro - you didn't get back to me about your last set of wheels and now you're posting these sexy tires? CONTACT ME NOW.

It looks like you sent me way more than my asking price, where should I send back the extra money? :wink:

How do people keep responding to ads that were sold a week or two ago? Do they find an ad then leave it open for a week before responding, do they write down the number/email and contact me at their leisure? I can't seem to find the old ads when searching so I'm pretty sure they're gone once I take them down.

Thanks to the chat thread, I found the wonders of google's location history. Kinda cool to get an overview of the various roadtrips mentioned in this thread. (Click for Big)

Gives a nice perspective as to how big Canada really is.

A little bit of a creepy/cool vibe, Although 'Google Now' has that feeling to it too.

:siren: EDIT :siren:

I can't believe even the floor mats are lemons on your Veloster. You should post the repair history on TrueDelta or something, the current year of Veloster is taking a beating in reliability from the looks of it.

I just joined TrueDelta and added some of my issues, going to have to go through the paperwork/notes and put up all the issues we've had. I checked the Veloster rating before I started and after I put in a bunch of issues I remembered and Hahaha, I singly handedly bumped the Veloster reliability significantly lower. I don't know how proud I should be of that...:shrug:

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 6, 2014

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Did some detailing yesterday, Black cars are both the worst and best for detailing. You see everything on the paint but once they're mirror smooth and flawless they look amazing.

This is the paint condition I started with

And this is the final result:

No progress on the Baja, yesterday this took up most of my day and the other days it's a combination of weather, laziness, relaxation, and various home projects.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Tri-Tri-Triple Post!

Axles Galore!

Ended up clearing some stuff out of the garage and reorganizing to give myself some more room, now I've got less excuses for my procrastination.

Also got tired of trying to free rusted and seized bolts, 10 years of not being touched and Winnipeg winters have made this a very fun experience, so I found another little project to do. I sanded off some of the material from the grill, trimmed the hood release latch, mounted 55w worth of LED lights, and glued the black mesh piece back on the grill temporarily. It's still going to need a lot of work but here's an idea of what it might look like soon.

They're not actually purple, the camera just seems to have changed their colour. It's a very white cold light, like you'd see with those cheap 5000k HID kits.

I really need to hurry up and get this thing back up and running, I'm running out of summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Bajaha posted:

I really need to hurry up and get this thing back up and running, I'm running out of summer.

Only Canadians would say this < 3 weeks into summer. :v:

You poor bastards. :canada:

• Locked thread