Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I really wish they'd fix the perfect tackling from the AI on World Class. Everything else is pretty good but it's just ruined by the fact that if you show a sliver of the ball to the AI, you will get tacked perfectly every single time. Even the best human players I've played against can't do it every time. There are sliders for all sorts, but not that, which is a shame, really.

e: Another thing that makes single-player really weak is that the AI never varies its team. I was using the default squads so the AI-controlled Real Madrid left Ronaldo in the reserves. Even my ancient PS2 Pro Evo game had the option to let AI pick its own team based on form and fitness. Also the game is missing form like the 2010 World Cup Game/Pro Evo, which I always liked. And it's missing tiredness between games of a tournament and players rarely, rarely get injured (I haven't played with sliders for this yet). All those things mean that you and the AI play with the same sides every single game and it's boring as gently caress and it's not much better online. drat I miss that World Cup game, even though it shipped unable to properly calculate group standings and this was somehow never patched.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
So you know how playing a world cup match gives you a one item player pack in the FUT world cup mode?

Well ok then.

Herr Krokodil
Jun 7, 2004

Hello John!
Good, then now maybe you can build a winning team with him and the 550 other World Cup players in your deck :v:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Well winning the tournament gives you 3 packs and 30k coins which I've been using to buy more packs because I'm dumb.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
WC MOTM cards out: Robben, Sanchez, Peralta

Also, if you have the card in WC mode it gets upgraded too, had Robben and it happened to my card.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
The upgrade to existing World Cup cards is cool, but robben still has 3star skill moves in WC Fut which sucks.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So I recently bought this for iOS (which seems to have a lot of differences). I haven't played any ULTIMATE TEAM thing since like the first year or two they introduced it for Madden. I also know about zero about soccer, although I will every few years buy a FIFA game because I'm a lunatic who loves sports games.

I have a few quick questions for y'all -

1) Is there any benefit at all to getting a "rare" or even bronze/silver/gold manager for how well the team plays? What I mean is that a manager can only apply a one point bonus (country or league) to the chemistry of a player, so what's the difference between having some bronze "common" Italian manager and say Prandelli if your team is all Italians? They'll both apply the same chemistry bonus. I've noticed that for the other games managers seem to have stats, but that doesn't seem to be true for the iOS version.

2) Along those lines, I'm also partly confused as to why +3% contract managers go for so much more money than their +1% counterparts. I've been able to routinely grab +1% managers for like 600-800 coins (although they do often go over 1000, you need patience). Then the +3% guys are going for like close to (and often more than) 4000. If I can get +3% grabbing 3 "common" managers for say 1800-2400, why bother spending well over 3000 coins for the +3%?

3) A lot of my team are silver guys from the Italian B league. Their contracts are up, and I certainly don't have money to replace them all with better players right now. Is it the expected behavior for me to just apply my mountain of contract cards to them and work my way up to a gold team, or is the more common approach to just buy your way with real money? I realize this may seem like a dumb question, but the last time I played an ultimate team it was pretty obviously designed to make you buy packs with money.

Thanks y'all.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
1. No, you're correct the chemistry bonus does not take into consideration the quality of the manager card so there's really no difference between different quality managers, you should pick a manager that best suits your players' leagues and nationalities.

2. Well, managers and staff bonuses stack even if they're not currently in your active squad, you can accumulate as many managers as you can get your hands on until you reach a 50% negotiation bonus, so stacking up on +3% managers just means you need to collect a few less. There's also a limited amount of managers in the game so you might not be able to reach the 50% bonus by only acquiring non rare ones. Don't really sweat it though cause until the bonus is substantial the returns are kind of minimal either way and you're better off just getting better players.

3. I would definitely try to avoid buying contracts for silver/bronze rated players, you can usually just replace them with other (or the same) bronze/silver players for 150 coins and you won't pay less than that for contracts so it's not worth it. Since FUT is nearing the end of its annual cycle the Market is completely broken and you can get great gold rated players for 1-2k coins, it's just worth saving up for those.

Use futhead.com to 'scout' your next affordable squad and just see how many coins you're gonna need to make it. Also, don't forget to use the FUT coin unlocks from the EASFC catalogue cause they're pretty substantial when you're just starting up.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

emanresu tnuocca posted:

1. No, you're correct the chemistry bonus does not take into consideration the quality of the manager card so there's really no difference between different quality managers, you should pick a manager that best suits your players' leagues and nationalities.

2. Well, managers and staff bonuses stack even if they're not currently in your active squad, you can accumulate as many managers as you can get your hands on until you reach a 50% negotiation bonus, so stacking up on +3% managers just means you need to collect a few less. There's also a limited amount of managers in the game so you might not be able to reach the 50% bonus by only acquiring non rare ones. Don't really sweat it though cause until the bonus is substantial the returns are kind of minimal either way and you're better off just getting better players.

3. I would definitely try to avoid buying contracts for silver/bronze rated players, you can usually just replace them with other (or the same) bronze/silver players for 150 coins and you won't pay less than that for contracts so it's not worth it. Since FUT is nearing the end of its annual cycle the Market is completely broken and you can get great gold rated players for 1-2k coins, it's just worth saving up for those.

Use futhead.com to 'scout' your next affordable squad and just see how many coins you're gonna need to make it. Also, don't forget to use the FUT coin unlocks from the EASFC catalogue cause they're pretty substantial when you're just starting up.

THanks for the swift answers! :) What is EASFC? Are you referring to all the bonus packs and coins you get just for winning a few games and doing some "objectives"? Because I've gotten so much out of just those.

My only real :smith: is that the iOS version seems to be significantly toned down from the others. I don't see a way to do World Cup stuff like y'all are. Not that my team could beat a team like that.

I've found futhead yesterday and am trying to use it as best I can. They don't have an iOS market grouping, but I've been using a sort of average of the three to get an idea of the "price" of a player.

Also, lol, I'm glad the app was free, because if 15 is coming out soon...

Black Hole Bowser
Dec 31, 2007
plunderer of outer space
Watching the world cup has me wanting to play FIFA again with some friends for the first time since '11. Which version of the game should I buy?
I've seen both 14 and some world cup edition, but can't find much information about what the differences are, or if any of the modes are missing from either. I play a lot of the NHL games so having be a pro and ultimate team would be nice.

Edit: this would be ps3, forgot how many systems these games come out on

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So per suggestion, I replaced all my silver guys cheaply with gold guys from Italian A. My team is incredibly better, thanks!

I also took the opportunity to play my first pubbie game after the CPU decided to cheat. Glad to see that element is always in all EA sports games.

Trip Report:
The dude got the first goal because basically I got lagged out trying to clear and he stole the ball and scored. I scored 3 in a row, but after the second, he was p clearly mad. All of a suddent the pubbie was slide tackling every minute. I think he was *trying* to injure Rossi.

Good to see pubbies are still 10 year old sociopaths, even in FIFA. :allears:

EDIT:
:mad: AND THEN I LOSE A GAME 0-3 BECAUSE "HURRR CONNECTION LOST"

EDIT2:
Oh lovely, it counts as a game played too. Yay.
goddamnit.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 22, 2014

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
I have decided to play this game on full manual controls. After some weeks of getting used to it, I think I have gotten the hang of it and the game plays much much better and realistic. Any tips from other manual-only players? Crosses and shots on goal are still a little off though.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Black Hole Bowser posted:

Watching the world cup has me wanting to play FIFA again with some friends for the first time since '11. Which version of the game should I buy?
I've seen both 14 and some world cup edition, but can't find much information about what the differences are, or if any of the modes are missing from either. I play a lot of the NHL games so having be a pro and ultimate team would be nice.

Edit: this would be ps3, forgot how many systems these games come out on

I also have a PS3, and the World Cup has really made me want to play a soccer video game. I haven't played one in YEARS and years, so I'm torn between FIFA 14 and the World Cup edition.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

CVagts posted:

I also have a PS3, and the World Cup has really made me want to play a soccer video game. I haven't played one in YEARS and years, so I'm torn between FIFA 14 and the World Cup edition.

If you haven't played one in years, Pick up FIFA 13 for very cheap. The experience on PS3 isn't going to change much.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Just made it to the final in UT World Cup mode, won 3-2 after coming back twice. Then the game says "error, disconnecting UT". I come back and I have a loss, no coins or bonus coins, no player.. nothing. loving piece of poo poo game. Seriously, it's loving terrible.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It is

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Everyone knows it yet most of us still play it. It's a nasty cycle of abuse.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
The market seems seriously loving broken. Like there are lots of players that seem to just sit on the market and never get bought. Are there just that many people that are unaware or is it just a bunch of people trying to control the market on a given player?

Like I seriously see lots of say gold rares (not in forms, not POTY, not WC) sitting there on the market with no bids, and BiN values well into the 10s of thousands. The starting bids are very high and it just seems so :psyduck: to me.

Then, you occasionally see one card of the same value for like 2-3k and people fight over it.

It seems like market control to me, but I just can't understand why you'd want to do that as the game is dying.

CVagts posted:

For what it's worth, I was in the same boat, got the iOS version of 14, and then bought the WC edition for PS3.

My advice is if you go for the WCE, don't get the digital copy. It routinely just decides not to launch. It's apparently been a bug since release and EA Sports doesn't give a gently caress. Surprise.

I will say that the PS3 WCE seems a *lot* harder than the ipad version of FIFA 14 at least. Even on Semi-Pro, the computer decides it's time to just cheat endlessly and make perfect tackles and occasionally just decides it deserves a goal, running through everyone to get it. My favorite part is that the CPU is allowed to absolutely maul your men and get away with it as soon as you even hit semi-pro. :laugh:

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 29, 2014

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

JetsGuy posted:

The market seems seriously loving broken. Like there are lots of players that seem to just sit on the market and never get bought. Are there just that many people that are unaware or is it just a bunch of people trying to control the market on a given player?

Like I seriously see lots of say gold rares (not in forms, not POTY, not WC) sitting there on the market with no bids, and BiN values well into the 10s of thousands. The starting bids are very high and it just seems so :psyduck: to me.

Then, you occasionally see one card of the same value for like 2-3k and people fight over it.

It seems like market control to me, but I just can't understand why you'd want to do that as the game is dying.

Most likely if you see a card up for a ton more than its normal price it's for a wager match. Person puts up a card worth 1k for say 50k, if they win the wager the other person buys it.

Built this silver squad ft chikhaoui and elyounoussi, absolutely loving it. Chikhaoui has great dribbling and a rocket of a shot, elyounoussi feels very smooth on the ball. Zouma and Umtiti are the best silver CB's I've used. Briand hasn't impressed me at all though so I might replace the right side with Salah and Frei perhaps.

http://www.futhead.com/14/squads/13700810/

Vercoutre has pulled off some loving wonder saves too.

zeldadude fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 30, 2014

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
nvm wrong thread

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

zeldadude posted:

Most likely if you see a card up for a ton more than its normal price it's for a wager match. Person puts up a card worth 1k for say 50k, if they win the wager the other person buys it.

I'm not quite sure I understand.

I'm talking like I'll see 20-30 players sitting there, no one bidding on them, but they're all at like 20K starting bid... no one bids on these guys, yet you'll just see a huge line of em.

Then one will pop up starting at 3K and people will bid on it.

It just looks like price fixing to me. 20K for a regular gold, even rare, seems like a ripoff the way the market is now. Maybe that's what they *were* priced at back in its prime?

EDIT: For example, Italian midfielders.

EDIT2: I just looked up "wager match". I thought at first you were talking about matching prices a person saw. I didn't know they were an actual thing.

Still. :psyduck:

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 29, 2014

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Yes it's auto buyers. They corner the market on a certain player and raise up price. I just bought a position card and the first 5 pages are all listed at minimum 1200, once you scroll past you find the 150 starting bids. It's annoying as gently caress but people love making their video game money

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
RB + Pass button lets you do a fancy pass but I just figured out that it lets you hit much better one touch passes if the player receiving the ball is under pressure than just hitting the pass button by itself

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
The FIFA World beta has gotten me interested in this game again, or at least getting me my FUT fix. Is it worth getting into FIFA 14 now, or should I preorder 15 and get in on the action early? I assume FIFA World is terrible compared to both since no one's talking about it here

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Pre-order 15. It's not worth buying 14 now since its basically a pile of hot garbage, plus 15 will be out soon enough. Just wait. Trust us.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Or you could wait until its out and see what people say about it before you spend 60$ on a game that's likely to be exactly the same as 14 save for some cosmetic differences and roster updates?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

If everyone did that EA Sports would be out of business.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

RCarr posted:

If everyone did that EA Sports would be out of business.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

At least PC users get the proper release instead of holding it like they did with Fifa14.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Or you could wait until its out and see what people say about it before you spend 60$ on a game that's likely to be exactly the same as 14 save for some cosmetic differences and roster updates?

The new engine in Next gen consoles is quite nice. :downs:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

emanresu tnuocca posted:

If he wants a FUT fix, why buy a game that will be unsupported and outdated? Also if you think getting the first EA sports game on a new console is a better idea than buying the second run at it, you're insane. See Madden 06, FIFA 06, etc.

e: oh he's talking about PC? Then yeah, reference the above post, the next-gen engine is pretty

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I'm not saying he should buy 14, 14 is poo poo and a waste of money, I'm saying he should wait to see if 15 is any better before buying it.

LambdaZero
Nov 5, 2009

suck it
Did an Xbox 360 Parmos ever get off the ground? There were a couple when 14 came out, but they all fell apart.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
Me and Soulex tried to maintain one, but there wasn't enough patronage.

LambdaZero
Nov 5, 2009

suck it
drat. I've been playing seasons again, but my favorite mode has always been pro clubs. There hasn't been enough of that this year.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
So, I just beat a team with Ronaldo, Messi, Iniesta, Silva, Alba, Alves and Casillas. I'm scared to think about how much money that person spent to get those cards in the WC UT where you can only open packs at $3 a pop.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
What's the preference of playing UT between PC, PS3, and PS4? I remember seeing prices for UT cards on the PC to be much higher than the PS3 for some version, so I'm wondering if would be overall easier to build a team somewhere non-PC

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I'm not saying he should buy 14, 14 is poo poo and a waste of money, I'm saying he should wait to see if 15 is any better before buying it.

15 will have the libertadores instead of junk rear end "Copa LatAm," so yes, take all my money.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Awesome Animals posted:

So, I just beat a team with Ronaldo, Messi, Iniesta, Silva, Alba, Alves and Casillas. I'm scared to think about how much money that person spent to get those cards in the WC UT where you can only open packs at $3 a pop.

I thought we played the same guy but instead of Messi he had Mueller oh and he subbed in Neymar at the end. Easiest 4-0 win ever. I too wonder how many packs they opened since the highest rated player I got in WC mode so far gas been Hazard. And that's after 40 packs or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Awesome Animals posted:

Or 5000 coins per pack which is nothing.

I spend all my coins on world cup packs because my normal UT teams are fine and I really want Klose's upgraded card for WC mode at least and I have Messi, hazard, robben, neymar, etc. I've spent a few hundred thousand coins opening the packs now but not a single real dollar, because spending real money when you can spend soon to be worthless fake money instead would be really dumb.

• Locked thread