Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

So which vampires we got here. Barlowe, Barnabas Collins, that little kid from Lost Boys grown up, but I cant't place the other three.

Sorry, late to this one, but I think one of them is Eli from Let the Right One In.

And those Capitol propaganda posters are absolutely beautiful.

The MSJ posted:

Big Hero 6 character posters.

Pshhhh, we only need one woman, don't we. And that'll be her character! She can be...the girl one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Infamous Sphere posted:

Pshhhh, we only need one woman, don't we. And that'll be her character! She can be...the girl one!

Looks like two women, two men, a robot and a monster to me.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Can people getting oddly mad at the Disney Poster at least pay attention to the thing they're getting oddly mad about?

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

morestuff posted:

But don't you see? It's just not fair! The patriarchy and stuff! He needs to be offended! :tipshat:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Trump posted:

But don't you see? It's just not fair! The patriarchy and stuff! He needs to be offended! :tipshat:

Yeah, but.. but one is wearing a skirt. You can't fight sexism in a skirt!

:goonsay:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I don't think we can presume to speak about Fredzilla's gender identity.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Haha man, those females, always bithchin and complaining about "rights" and stuff, what jokers.

What the gently caress is wrong with you people?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

GonSmithe posted:

Haha man, those females, always bithchin and complaining about "rights" and stuff, what jokers.

Just because a topic is important doesn't mean that there isn't times where it's senseless to bring it up and mock those that just get angry at something for no real reason.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

GonSmithe posted:

They are making fun of someone in such a rush to be offended that s/he didn't notice the other woman.

It's especially weird to complain about the "one" girl being overtly feminine when the other girl not being so is the reason you didn't notice her.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

morestuff posted:

Wasabi No Ginger isn't a monster; wow, what a racist remark!!!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I really like how the Earth to Echo posters aren't even pretending the movie isn't an ET ripoff:

Still, it's found footage ET so I'll probably end up seeing it :suicide:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bring back the possibility of the ET sequel where he comes back and has to rescue Elliot.

http://semajblogeater.blogspot.ca/2011/06/et-ii-nocturnal-fears-sequel-that-never.html

quote:

E.T. II: Nocturnal Fears (Check out the treatment of the story)

While listening to the Hollywood Saloon podcast, they talked about the movies “that never happened”, and E.T. II came up as a project that was talked about and planned in the very early stages by Spielberg.

The concept behind this darker space sequel to the brighter first movie actually originated from an earlier planned sequel to Close Encounters of the Third Kind. It was called Night Skies. It had some meaner aliens showing up on Earth after the friendly aliens left. Portions of that dropped story found its way into the ET-II treatment.

After ET became a huge hit, the studio and Spielberg thought about doing a sequel to ET. The treatment from the link above was the basic outline of that story. The story would have been direct sequel to the first movie, being most of the characters would have returned, but the story structure, style and tone were going to be darker. And, the kicker is ET wouldn't have shown up until the third act. That would have been a major issue with the story in its current form. People would have wanted to see ET and Elliot reunite earlier. The focus would be on the evil aliens instead. That would have turned some people off. I'm sure if they there were script rewrites, those changes would haven taken place.

Spielberg changed his mind and stopped the whole ET-II project. With some rewrites, I personally think the movie would have worked on a creepy level. I remember all those creepy moments in Close Encounters that Spielberg conveyed, and he could have carried them over to this project. (Remember the railroad tracks scene or the child being kidnapped?)

However, this follow could have cheapened the last few scenes from the first movie, by having ET show up only to leave again.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

axleblaze posted:

I really like how the Earth to Echo posters aren't even pretending the movie isn't an ET ripoff:

This little fucker. I hate this thing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

axleblaze posted:

It's like an ET ripoff and a Wall-E ripoff combined.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

You just know some executive got an erection when they heard that pitch in the design meetings.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

mind the walrus posted:

You just know some executive got an erection when they heard that pitch in the design meetings.

I've seen TV ads that have reviewer quotes that praise the film for being exactly that.

So I guess the moral is, if you're going to do it, might as well own it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I saw a commercial where apparently Echo the alien gives the kids a new app for their phone.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

muscles like this? posted:

I saw a commercial where apparently Echo the alien gives the kids a new app for their phone.
For free or do they have to give Echo their parents' credit cards to pay for it?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

The trailer made it look pretty drat entertaining, but if you asked me to guess what the film was based on the poster alone, I would have assumed it was a CGI animated film. That's how completely overproduced that poster seems to me.

Vintersorg posted:

Bring back the possibility of the ET sequel where he comes back and has to rescue Elliot.

http://semajblogeater.blogspot.ca/2011/06/et-ii-nocturnal-fears-sequel-that-never.html

For what it's worth, Super 8 is a pretty fitting spiritual sequel to E.T.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

If the studios had any guts they would have made it a Mac and Me/Wall-E ripoff.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Madkal posted:

If the studios had any guts they would have made it a Mac and Me/Wall-E ripoff.

This needs to have Paul Rudd in it, because I want to see what clip he will play when he appears on Conan O'Brien's show.

I am surprised no one mentioned that the other woman on that Big Hero 6 poster, Go Go Tomago, turns into a sphere and "Tomago" means "egg". That's loaded with symbolism right there.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 2, 2014

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Erebus posted:

They are making fun of someone in such a rush to be offended that s/he didn't notice the other woman.

It's especially weird to complain about the "one" girl being overtly feminine when the other girl not being so is the reason you didn't notice her.

Well Ok, you got me there.
In my defence, the image isn't a large size, and I posted that just before I was about to go to bed.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Click in the top left corner where the size in pixels pops up to make the image properly sized.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Do you guys remember James Cameron going deeper down in the ocean than just about anyone ever has before to get some footage for a documentary? I'm guessing this is it. It's a bit of an :effort: poster.

The title also reminds me of this:

And ones for Atom Egoyan's latest, Captive.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Alternate poster for the 1973 film Who?.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
The two women in Big Hero 6 are the pink and yellow power rangers.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You say that like the entire line-up doesn't have extreme Sentai conventions out the wazoo.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

mind the walrus posted:

You say that like the entire line-up doesn't have extreme Sentai conventions out the wazoo.

Of course, but "the pink girl one!" and "the tomboy Asian one!" are pretty regressive cliches that don't need to be carried over, especially in tribute.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Of course, but "the pink girl one!" and "the tomboy Asian one!" are pretty regressive cliches that don't need to be carried over, especially in tribute.

So if a woman is feminine its oppression and if a woman is masculine its regressive? Why are portrayals of women a no-win scenario? Is the only option to exclude them completely?

(I kid, that is also a losing scenario.)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
When did tomboy asian become a cliche?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

When did tomboy asian become a cliche?

Power Rangers had one and the only media I consume is japanese kids shows so,

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

loving Christ. That's literally "the Microsoft Word font" Calibri

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Peanut President posted:

Power Rangers had one and the only thing I consume is japanese kids so,

History's greatest monster, ladies and gentlemen.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

I don't even remember the Asian girl in Power Rangers being a tomboy. I mean, other than that she knew martial arts instead of learning how to cook for her future husband.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

She wasn't, but that was more because of how thin the characters were drawn in the show.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I wonder of the bloom is starting to come off the rose for Mondo. I noticed that two of their latest posters are still available for sale over a day after they were released. Usually anything and everything they released was snapped up in seconds.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I wonder of the bloom is starting to come off the rose for Mondo. I noticed that two of their latest posters are still available for sale over a day after they were released. Usually anything and everything they released was snapped up in seconds.

It has always depended on artist.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mind the walrus posted:

She wasn't, but that was more because of how thin the characters were drawn in the show.

I'm not a power rangers expert, but I'm pretty sure it was a live action show, not animated, so what do you mean "drawn"?

mexicanmonkey
Nov 17, 2005

FIESTA TIME

Skwirl posted:

I'm not a power rangers expert, but I'm pretty sure it was a live action show, not animated, so what do you mean "drawn"?
Are you really asking or making a terrible joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Mister Chief posted:

It has always depended on artist.

I don't believe that's true though. About a year ago when I was interested in some Mondo stuff, I followed their sales for a long time. 99% of anything they put up was sold in seconds, regardless of the artist. There are definitely more popular artists for sure, but it was the difference between popular artists selling out in 10 seconds, versus the least popular artists selling out in 60 seconds.