Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fried Chicken posted:

Remind me, is graphene the one that is asbestos level toxic or is that buckyballs? I know one of them the nano structures flake off and build up in your body with bad side effects.

Certain fullerenes are pretty nasty, but others aren't. Nanotubes specifically can be bad for you, but then not enough research has really been done on them to figure out for certain if they could be inhalation hazards, ingestion hazards, etc. I would imagine though that we'll see that research very soon. I had also not heard about graphene until now but it seems pretty cool. I'm curious to see what becomes of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.
If anyone remembers the Brian Boyko/MAYDAYPAC thread that went down in flames in hilarious/cringeworthy fashion a few weeks ago, I'd like to turn your attention to this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/29nq9p/lawrence_lessig_and_jack_abramoff_here_we_both/

The professor who hired Mr. Boyko to run his PAC, is hosting an AMA with Jack freaking Abramoff of all people about how to get money out of politics. Irony is firmly under six feet of soil. They want to raise money to reform money in campaigns. How? They don't have a plan, they just need to get the word out and raise more money.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

MaxxBot posted:

They would pass UHC if they had a large enough majority, some conservative dems would oppose it but most of them including the leadership have said they want it.

EDIT: To clarify, this would be on their "dream agenda" but they wouldn't do it simply if they had a supermajority because they're spineless cowards. If they could be guaranteed that they get to keep their seats then I bet they would.

In other words, look at the Democratic Party of California (who suddenly decided to kill UHC bills in committee when Jerry Brown took office despite passing UHC bills that were vetoed under Schwarzenegger)

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Magres posted:

he's huge into philanthropy and using his money and brains to make the world better

As one of the founders of PayPal, he has a great Karmic debt to pay, so he'd better be.

Has Tesla actually made any money yet?

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

oldswitcheroo posted:

The professor who hired Mr. Boyko to run his PAC, is hosting an AMA with Jack freaking Abramoff of all people about how to get money out of politics. Irony is firmly under six feet of soil. They want to raise money to reform money in campaigns. How? They don't have a plan, they just need to get the word out and raise more money.

We should eliminate non profit as a concept really, this is just money laundering at this point.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

As one of the founders of PayPal, he has a great Karmic debt to pay, so he'd better be.

No.

Also, naming a company after someone who died impoverished and under recognized seems like a bad idea.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

Femur posted:

We should eliminate non profit as a concept really, this is just money laundering at this point.

I have a running joke with an attorney friend of mine. If he can think of a better way to launder money than a 501(c)(4) I owe him an entire night's worth of drinks. He is extremely competitive (I did say he was an attorney) but he's still yet to come up with a better way.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Also, naming a company after someone who died impoverished and under recognized seems like a bad idea.

He's gotten more recognition lately, and naming your electric car company after him can only help.

Oh my god, this is my new favorite Onion article. :allears:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

oldswitcheroo posted:

I have a running joke with an attorney friend of mine. If he can think of a better way to launder money than a 501(c)(4) I owe him an entire night's worth of drinks. He is extremely competitive (I did say he was an attorney) but he's still yet to come up with a better way.

How bout the gospel of prosperity movement?

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

computer parts posted:

Again those are totally regional aspects. Detroit is poor because there was a sudden loss in tax base and there's explicit non-help/damage directed at the city.

The thing is, the collapse of most empires look like that until some far off point where historians try to set an official date of the end.

Before the date we now use as the End of the Western Roman Empire, they had already lost control of what is now Britain, France and Spain. Many of those same issues can be brought up, as in loss of taxes to pay for defense, and political games playing a role in refusal to support or defend those areas.

I'm sure some future history of the US will include some footnotes about Detroit and the Rust Belt, along with declining purchasing power and a stretched military. The typical decay that happens long before what ever event gets set as the end of the US as we know it.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

joeburz posted:

If graphene was as bad as you're thinking you'd be hosed from using a pencil in grade school dude.

graphene =/= graphite dude.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

oldswitcheroo posted:

501(c)(3)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

more like 1000x-10000x with a corresponding drop in power requirements

Mother of loving god :stare:

I cannot wait for the video game graphics we're gonna get out of that, and I'm not even a graphics junkie.

Also I was underestimating what you meant by revolutionary jumps. I didn't realize we were talking like 'brand new field of stuff' and were talking about 'major improvements in something.' I was reading marginal improvements as like 1-5% bumps, major as like 5-20, and revolutionary as anything bigger than that, not having the threshold for revolutionary being hundreds of percent (not that I'm arguing with you over those distinctions).

I'm only marginal :cry:

(Actually I love my work - I want to unfuck the world's energy and Nuclear can do it - and I think Nuclear has the potential to make a solid comeback in America, because it's the only non-environment dependent source of power that's both non-carbon emitting and viable for base load power. Like I love hydro, geo, wind, and solar, but wind and solar are not base load viable and hydro/geo are terrain dependent, and we need ways to provide baseload power to poo poo like the Midwest without vomiting CO2 into our atmosphere)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Boomers HATE government services. Other than their medicare, medicaid, social security, home tax credit........ What a lovely group of people.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
sorry

Femur fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 3, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Munkeymon posted:

He did in Q1 of 2013, then he rolled out the new purchasing plan and took on more debt and net income dipped below outlays again for the year.

The thing about Tesla though is that the value of the company isn't in selling cars, it is in their battery and power technology. That's why their stock is considered a good buy. It's also why his changes in how they were treating patents was such a big deal.

Magres posted:

Mother of loving god :stare:

I cannot wait for the video game graphics we're gonna get out of that, and I'm not even a graphics junkie.
Actually I hosed the math, at 4 cycles it should be a 16 fold improvement. I wasn't paying attention and did the calculation twice (2^4) = 16 and then did (2^16) = 65,000 to get the range and went with an order of magnitude. I could try to bluff and say I was talking about doped carbon processors (which do show promise for being better than silicon) but nah, I did the calculation twice and I shouldn't have

This is why you don't use excel kids - the drag down function will get you every time.

Still, my point is its a pretty sizable change over 10 years.

quote:

Also I was underestimating what you meant by revolutionary jumps. I didn't realize we were talking like 'brand new field of stuff' and were talking about 'major improvements in something.' I was reading marginal improvements as like 1-5% bumps, major as like 5-20, and revolutionary as anything bigger than that, not having the threshold for revolutionary being hundreds of percent (not that I'm arguing with you over those distinctions).
I guess I was unclear, I'm talking more rate of change rather than total change. That's why I was referencing sigmoid curves

The revolutionary part is that exponential phase. The stuff outside of it is still good. It just isn't "holy poo poo now everything is different" levels of change where you will see an order of magnitude change in 5 years. That stuff is incredibly destabilizing. We have been going through a period of a lot of things have been seeing destabilizing levels of change at once, and we have adopted governments that accept routine destabilization and a social philosophy that embraces change (and thus differences) as a result. But eventually we are going to hit the point where we aren't seeing constant changes anymore, and things will stratify.

I'm not saying it is going to be happening soon. But in the long run it will, and when we don't need to constantly adapt to change anymore I expect society will more reflect the way societies that aren't constantly changing are. Society has been around for 12,000 years, I'm more than comfortable with the bet that we will stop seeing that kind of change and return to "life is poo poo" before the next 12,000 are up. 200 is just too small a sample size to make any conclusions about "things are getting better" from.

quote:

I'm only marginal :cry:

(Actually I love my work - I want to unfuck the world's energy and Nuclear can do it - and I think Nuclear has the potential to make a solid comeback in America, because it's the only non-environment dependent source of power that's both non-carbon emitting and viable for base load power. Like I love hydro, geo, wind, and solar, but wind and solar are not base load viable and hydro/geo are terrain dependent, and we need ways to provide baseload power to poo poo like the Midwest without vomiting CO2 into our atmosphere)
I'll put forth the caveat here -my expreience with nuclear was being an operator for 6 years, and thus I defer to your experience with the industry.

But I suspect that nuclear won't see a comeback for two reasons
1) Nuclear is great when it adhears to best operating practices (like the US Navy largely does). But looking at the industry and its history of accidents I don't believe that they adhear to best practices because they are looking at the bottom line. And essentially that is an organizational problem, not a technological one. Stuff like pebble bed reactors and increased automation could go a long way to fix that but
2) Solar power is going through its own exponential period right now. Amortized over 20 years but a >85% functional life over 30 and a constantly dropping price per kwh makes it a pretty hefty economic competitor.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 3, 2014

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Nationalize the energy industry and run nuclear to navy specs. Problem solved.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Hmmm not what I was looking for but I haven't gotten a bottle of Laphroaig before. Any specific age?
The standard 10 year old is awesome. 18 year old is sublime, but probably not worth the premium. Triple Wood is an awesome deal for what it is, and still cheaper than a Lagavulin 16.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Eh I'm just a research monkey, I'm not actually in industry and have no interest in running plants, I just want to design the thing. You're right about people being lazy shits and loving it all up though. The Davis-Besse plant is near where I grew up and, even though I hate my hometown, I would murder the people who committed the fraud to hide the fact that their pressure vessel was horribly corroded if I had half a chance. They had about a football sized hole in the carbon steel that was corroded all the way down to the stainless cladding on the inside because they hid it because they didn't want to replace the vessel head. loving bastards could have done so much harm.

I'm excited about nuclear because the new tech that's rolling out is very exciting from a safety standpoint and I do basically nothing but safety analysis. Tthe NuScale design is entirely natcirc on the primary loop (secondary loop still uses pumps) and is hilariously, loving stupidly safe. My master's thesis work that I'm wrapping up was to basically say 'OKAY BUD, HOW CAN I MAKE YOU MELT?' and screw around with it under station blackout conditions and I loving couldn't. Literally, even breaking as many things as I could, I could not make this dumb piece of poo poo melt down. So I tripled the power output to make it melt :v: BURN LITTLE REACTOR BUUUURRRNNN

It's a reactor design that seems to be 'gently caress it let's make this thing as impervious to being hosed as possible,' from what I know of the design even if people are stupid fuckheads they're going to have a hard time causing a major catastrophe with their laziness and incompetence.

That's some super cool stuff about solar though! I'm also hugely pro-solar, I just don't see it as viable for base load generation so I don't view it as competing in the same niche of the energy market as Nuclear :shrug:

Ron Jeremy posted:

Hell loving yes.

Magres fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 3, 2014

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Ron Jeremy posted:

Hahaha, yeah. While we are at it let us implement Full Communism and invest one trillion dollars into jumpstarting the space economy.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Ron Jeremy posted:

They already sort of do that, the nuke plants get most of their engineers straight from the Navy.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Magres posted:

Eh I'm just a research monkey, I'm not actually in industry and have no interest in running plants, I just want to design the thing. You're right about people being lazy shits and loving it all up though. The Davis-Besse plant is near where I grew up and, even though I hate my hometown, I would murder the people who committed the fraud to hide the fact that their pressure vessel was horribly corroded if I had half a chance. They had about a football sized hole in the carbon steel that was corroded all the way down to the stainless cladding on the inside because they hid it because they didn't want to replace the vessel head. loving bastards could have done so much harm.

I'm excited about nuclear because the new tech that's rolling out is very exciting from a safety standpoint and I do basically nothing but safety analysis. Tthe NuScale design is entirely natcirc on the primary loop (secondary loop still uses pumps) and is hilariously, loving stupidly safe.
But then you don't get that sound when you crank the pumps and pull for full power, that crash of all the check valves slamming open and the instrumentation needles shaking from the impact. it sounds like God Almighty just brought down the hammer.

I'll miss the earth-shattering ka-boom Magres. There is supposed to be an earth-shattering ka-boom.

quote:

My master's thesis work that I'm wrapping up was to basically say 'OKAY BUD, HOW CAN I MAKE YOU MELT?' and screw around with it under station blackout conditions and I loving couldn't. Literally, even breaking as many things as I could, I could not make this dumb piece of poo poo melt down. So I tripled the power output to make it melt :v: BURN LITTLE REACTOR BUUUURRRNNN

It's a reactor design that seems to be 'gently caress it let's make this thing as impervious to being hosed as possible,' from what I know of the design even if people are stupid fuckheads they're going to have a hard time causing a major catastrophe with their laziness and incompetence.
Wait you couldn't? Even if you had loops fall off and fill wasn't initiated? Jesus christ.

quote:

That's some super cool stuff about solar though! I'm also hugely pro-solar, I just don't see it as viable for base load generation so I don't view it as competing in the same niche of the energy market as Nuclear :shrug:
Well pair it to a Fischer–Tropsch process to crank out methane from atmospheric CO2 and our existing natural gas infrastructure and you have cheap no net carbon energy.

I mean if I'm designing the world from scratch I go with solar for suburbs and low density areas and thorium burning nuclear for cities, industrial, and mass desalinization. But that will come after I kill Reed Richards.

quote:

Hell loving yes.

US Army Officers Guide, 1894 posted:

Enlisted men are stupid, but extremely cunning and sly, and bear considerable watching.
They will take your beautiful, beautiful reactors and put their testicles all over them.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 3, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Mitt Romney just endorsed Scott Brown. Not a huge surprise there, but John Sununu introduced Mitt as "the man who should have been the 44th President of the United States".

I guess he's not a big McCain fan! Bqhatevwr.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

They will take your beautiful, beautiful reactors and put their testicles all over them.

An instructor of mine way back in the day claimed to have masturbated in every compartment of a 688 while it was under construction including the captains stateroom and reactor conpartment.

I'm really only half kidding about nationalization. At some point the cheap oil will be gone or under the feet of millions of angry people with aks. The oil reserve will be a matter of national security (again). Sell the expensive oil to subsidize nuclear and renewables.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Joementum posted:

Mitt Romney just endorsed Scott Brown. Not a huge surprise there, but John Sununu introduced Mitt as "the man who should have been the 44th President of the United States".

I guess he's not a big McCain fan! Bqhatevwr.

Mitt Romney would have completely erased the Obama presidency, allowing Ben Carson or Allen West to become the first black president so the true racism of the left could be revealed.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Fried Chicken posted:

This is entirely correct. I have a pal who was a Navy nuke and he has any number of stories to tell about nutsacks being put on things nutsacks should not normally be placed on.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's a recording of the Cochran conference call. It starts going off the rails at the 8:30 mark.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

VitalSigns posted:

Ooh well you're embarrassing me just a bit because I wasn't talking about myself in my posting. :smith:

I don't actually have issues with student loan debt personally. I joined the military when I was eighteen and paid for school that way, so I didn't end up crushed by six figures of debt or have to drop out of school and turn tricks like some of my friends (to whom I was referring in my posts).

I wouldn't benefit at all from student loan debt forgiveness: I just object to the characterization of people who did take on a lot of practically undischargeable debt being called irresponsble crybabies. Especially when the people on Wall Street who actually caused the recession that have hosed this entire generation got hundreds of billions in bailouts and loan guarantees, and never had to pay a dime on any of their insane gambling losses.

I'll be the first to call out a college kid who says that anyone without a degree deserves to be miserable and poor. But that's not the same as saying someone with a load of undischargeable debt and working minimum wage doesn't have "real" problems and should shut up about debt because hey they got to go to college and probably had a beer while they were doing it! That's all I was trying to get across to Jarmak, not trying to have a who-is-worse-off contest (because only the rich are the real winners of that)

Fair enough, I think I may have misread you. I've given some thought to this entire idea and though eharing people with college debt gripe about their situation doesn't bother me at all, there are people whom it does bother a great deal. I personally am not sure in the best way to go about discussing such a situation. People are emotionally primed to go off these days, especially since anyone without a degree has been eating a load of poo poo about how they deserve their lot in life since likely before they even got their first job. Its a rough situation, the modern proaganda has done very well in making us all percieve dramatic seperations where frankly, none actually exists.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Re: hobby lobby

Why aren't bible humpers satisfied with letting sinners "burn in hell"? Why do they have to make life on earth hellacious too?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

effectual posted:

Why aren't bible humpers satisfied with letting sinners "burn in hell"? Why do they have to make life on earth hellacious too?

"It is God's Plan, as told to us by that guy, who says that that guy says that God speaks to him."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

The thing is, the collapse of most empires look like that until some far off point where historians try to set an official date of the end.

Before the date we now use as the End of the Western Roman Empire, they had already lost control of what is now Britain, France and Spain. Many of those same issues can be brought up, as in loss of taxes to pay for defense, and political games playing a role in refusal to support or defend those areas.

I'm sure some future history of the US will include some footnotes about Detroit and the Rust Belt, along with declining purchasing power and a stretched military. The typical decay that happens long before what ever event gets set as the end of the US as we know it.

The difference is that the net economic output of Detroit + suburbs is the same (or along the same projected growth pattern) as Detroit + suburbs in the 50s. There's just been a major shift in where the economic output is.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Joementum posted:

Here's a recording of the Cochran conference call. It starts going off the rails at the 8:30 mark.

The Windows 98/XP error sound really adds to the gold.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

This is entirely correct. I have a pal who was a Navy nuke and he has any number of stories to tell about nutsacks being put on things nutsacks should not normally be placed on.

I remain amazed that the repeal of DADT didn't see a huge upsurge in sexual harassment complaints. Not from straights feeling propositioned by the gays; but from the gays getting sick and tired of having the guys around them running around with their junk hanging out.

Joementum posted:

Holy poo poo, this is insane. They aren't even dog whistling about "democrats", they are ranting about getting black people to vote.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Joementum posted:

I like the guy who was trying to correct the crazy racist by explaining there's actually more soybeans than cotton to harvest around there.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fried Chicken posted:

Holy poo poo, this is insane. They aren't even dog whistling about "democrats", they are ranting about getting black people to vote.

My favorite part is when someone with a thick Southern accent suggests that the "harvesting cotton" questioner was a Cochran campaign false flag and one of the national media sarcastically responds, "Yeah, maybe it was Obama :rolleyes:"

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

This is more of a general forums question, but are there any threads discussing trusted news sites and sources in general? If not, I think there should be.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

effectual posted:

Well, you see, we have this multiple millennia-old grab bag of tribal stories and jingoistic posturings and one of the things it's most clear about is that God is Love. Except when He's Hate.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

effectual posted:

Look, its one thing to have money invested in companies that make condoms, Plan B and other birth control, and to see a financial gain when those companies do well. It is quite another thing to allow the insurance companies, whose coverage that you are federally mandated to provide your employees with, to provide, at no cost to you, birth control so that said insurance company saves money in the long run (pregnancy is expensive!).

I think you can clearly see that one is just good old fashioned American Free Market Capitalism and one is a gross perversion of all of our collective religious freedoms.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

JonathonSpectre posted:

Well, you see, we have this multiple millennia-old grab bag of tribal stories and jingoistic posturings and one of the things it's most clear about is that God is Love. Except when He's Hate.

No, the stories are that god will save them, they were being beaten at the times they weren't praying..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Fried Chicken posted:

graphene =/= graphite dude.

I know that, but you can use graphite to create graphene quite easily. Graphene was manufactured initially by a process as simple as using graphite for rubbings and pulling off thin 1-5 atomic layer thick sheets with scotch tape. No loving joke, I actually tried some rough testing of the process when I read about it because other methods of making graphene have been high in cost while producing arguably worse samples due to impurities etc.

• Locked thread