Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grandpa Goodtimes
Oct 10, 2012

I know one bone in my body that works.
Just bought it on Wii U along with Rayman Legends. This has been a good last month for my Wii U.

May still get it on 3DS depending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

MVP posted:

Great game, wish it didn't have so many spikes.

Stuck on Polar Knight, didn't know what sub-weapon to use.

Dying would be less painful without the constant 'you lost money' screen

cheesed through a lot of the game with the phase locket so far.

feels like the game's stages could be more optimized, or have walljumping and double jump.

because spikes

(Soundtrack is great, the programming is great)

If you want a retro style 3DS game with less spikes, maybe you should try this game:

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/SJtqqz8DEFGO8CFAvPR98xJUY5vGOZk8

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
I'm not sure I buy the argument that the relics were a bad decision since they trivialize portions of the game; as others have said you can self-tune around them if you want. Additionally, It doesn't feel too dissimilar to me from using Rush Jet to skip large portions of Megaman 3. Personally I loved the game and felt that MM3 is probably the best comparison to the experience I got from this.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

re: relics.

It is unfortunate the game isn't balanced around them. Yes I can choose not to use them (just did a run where I got no upgrades what-so-ever; pretty fun since you have to actually learn the boss patterns to not die and a number of the platforming bits are actually difficult without relic "x" to cheese them) but that's dumb because they're fun to use. It'd be nice if the game was balanced around relics, so you could use them effectively without trivializing the game.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I hope they make more levels like the extra treasure ones where you have to use a relic to pass.

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW

The Devil Tesla posted:

I hope they make more levels like the extra treasure ones where you have to use a relic to pass.

Definitely, they were the most well put-together parts by far. I felt like a supreme badass doing that propeller-pogo sequence over the chasm.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I want the next shovel knight game to have super nintendo graphics

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Miltank posted:

Shovel Knight already looks more like an SNES game than an NES one, despite the 8-bit aesthetics.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Miltank posted:

Aptly named Super Shovel Knight

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

Shovel Knight already looks more like an SNES game than an NES one, despite the 8-bit aesthetics.

Definitely in motion, you can't get that many parallax layers in a true NES game. It looks so cool tho :swoon:

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
this look cool, picked it up for 3ds

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

If you abuse pogo bounce on Propeller Knight for too long, he'll eventually blow you upwards and try to stab you as you come down. He follows you around as he does it too, but you can usually avoid it by going in one specific direction and not letting up.

There's also Baz Knight, who is just immune to pogo attacks whenever his whip is up.

I can't wait until this game shows up at AGDQ/SGDQ. The speedruns are going to be incredible.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
My first game had 95 deaths and was completed in 4:30:00.
Its that about average or am I bad at knights and shovels?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Genocyber posted:

Eh, strongly disagree. They specifically limited themselves to the NES color palette (only straying... twice?) and used very low resolution sprites with only a few colors per sprite, and even throw in some small touches like having black backgrounds during big miniboss fights just like NES Mega man and other games had to for technical limitations.

Plus games like Metal Storm and Batman managed to do parallax on NES, as crazy as that poo poo was. No, it wasn't quite as good as Shovel Knight's, but so?

I think its WAY closer to an NES game than an SNES game, where you'd expect more colors, higher resolution, smoother animations and more by default.

The Gorp posted:

For a gamer who has played mega man that's pretty average. For a random gamer period that's slightly above average.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Gorp posted:

My first playthrough had 35 deaths but was ~6 hours. Guess I was more cautious.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Psssh. I'm sure I'm above 50 deaths and I haven't even reached Specter Knight yet.

I gave up on Super Meatboy ~forever~ in the final salt factory level. I should just stick to Paradox games. :v:

Jamizzy99
Jul 4, 2007

Afro posted:

Aptly named Super Shovel Knight

I'm getting unreasonably excited about this. I know it won't happen though :negative:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Eh, a while ago, Yacht held a survey for what people want to see them do next, and "Super Shovel Knight" was a suggestion they gave. On top of "Super Shovel Kart" and "Shovel Knight 64."

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I could definitely see them thinking about it once they've pushed out all of the Kickstarter extra stuff.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

As a true gamer, anything above 5 deaths is literal scum. Hand in your game pins LOSERS.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Eh I disagree as well. Of course it blows early NES games like SMB out of the water, but later games that pushed the hardware like Megaman 6 and Kirby I think look better than this game in some places.

e: Anyone else think the shovel charge is useless? I think it's cool and all but it slows you down way too much to be useful. It either has to slow you down less or do more damage, I feel like I can do more damage by shoveling on the ground, cancelling that animation with a jump, and shoveling in the air (which you can again animation cancel by landing)

ferroque fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 2, 2014

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Has there ever been a useful charge move? The only reason we see it in so many games is that it can be added without adding a new button, as most games move too fast for it to be worth it.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Devil Tesla posted:

Has there ever been a useful charge move? The only reason we see it in so many games is that it can be added without adding a new button, as most games move too fast for it to be worth it.

Megaman?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Genocyber posted:

My first playthrough had 35 deaths but was ~6 hours. Guess I was more cautious.

Mine had 12 deaths and was under 5 hours. It really depends on how you play it (and how much you abuse the aforementioned relics.)

Ferroque posted:

e: Anyone else think the shovel charge is useless? I think it's cool and all but it slows you down way too much to be useful. It either has to slow you down less or do more damage, I feel like I can do more damage by shoveling on the ground, cancelling that animation with a jump, and shoveling in the air (which you can again animation cancel by landing)

Not even a little. It does hilarious amounts of damage, breaks barriers, and the Dynamo Armor lets you charge it by pogoing. It's not useful against every single foe but any time you have a moment to charge it is worth it.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Yeah, once I figured out that you can charge attack through shields it became my favorite shovel upgrade.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I am dying over and over again on the final level where you as those stupid rainbow bridge platforms

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ferroque posted:

Eh I disagree as well. Of course it blows early NES games like SMB out of the water, but later games that pushed the hardware like Megaman 6 and Kirby I think look better than this game in some places.

I guess. It's just a bit more colorful and detailed than what I'd expect out of an NES game, so I think more of SNES.

As for the charge, the manual one is garbage, but the one you get from Dynamo Armor is exceptionally useful. Can get good combos with that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Genocyber posted:

I guess. It's just a bit more colorful and detailed than what I'd expect out of an NES game, so I think more of SNES.

As for the charge, the manual one is garbage, but the one you get from Dynamo Armor is exceptionally useful. Can get good combos with that.

The manual one is one of the fastest way I've found to wreck enemy shield knights.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Miltank posted:

I am dying over and over again on the final level where you as those stupid rainbow bridge platforms

Those green fuckers can't wind up, so try to pogo them if you're doing a no-relic run, otherwise huck anchors.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Shaezerus posted:

Those green fuckers can't wind up, so try to pogo them if you're doing a no-relic run, otherwise huck anchors.

You can also use the platform itself as a back brace to avoid being blown into a pit.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Charge the platform directly into any enemy for a one-hit kill.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Oh I had no idea the charge could break shields. Up until now I've been outsmarting those enemies in intense 1v1 combat

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Yeesh, I can easily beat the airship stage but then I die a million times on the Propeller Blade bonus level cause I can't quit loving up a jump onto a jellyfish. Also, when is a good time to do the Hall of Champions? Like is it a one time cost of 5,000 to get in or is it 5,000 every time I enter?

VVVVV
Sweet; yeah, I think I've seen a few people mention 'beating' it, so I assumed it was something like that.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 3, 2014

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

5000 once to get in. Spoilers, it's a little minidungeon sorta thing.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Niggurath posted:

Yeesh, I can easily beat the airship stage but then I die a million times on the Propeller Blade bonus level cause I can't quit loving up a jump onto a jellyfish.
I remember having a bit of trouble with this. Do you have your relics set to its own button or up+attack? I had mine set to up+attack and that's what was doing me in most of the time-- trying to rapidly switch from relic to pogo to relic.

I didn't change my controls, mind you, because I'm a stubborn rear end in a top hat.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Yo sorry if this has been asked already, but I've Googled all over for it and can't find anything.

Does the Wii U version get updated with the stretch goal content as it comes out, or will it end up being a less fully-featured port?

I'm willing to buy it on the Wii U just as soon as somebody can confirm that I won't be missing out by doing so.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
For Treasure Knight's level, how do I get past the part where you ride the missile and you have to blow up the walls? I can clear the first one, jump back to the start, but the second one, I just fall onto the spikes.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Capsaicin posted:

For Treasure Knight's level, how do I get past the part where you ride the missile and you have to blow up the walls? I can clear the first one, jump back to the start, but the second one, I just fall onto the spikes.

Stand on the nose of the missile and hit the breakable walls as you approach them. If you time it right you can clear them without getting pushed back at all but if your timing is off you'll want to move back to the front of the missile before the next wall. So you know, you'll have to jump at the end so be ready for it.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Miltank posted:

It took me forever to notice and I died way more times then necessary because of it, but when the platform is falling, it stops at the bottom of the screen, it won't keep sinking and kill you. Just in case if you're trying to keep it aloft by jumping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Someone generated all the cheat codes and made a doc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gbtQSPqvzV8oWqQJEQH12-5_PAGAAKx_zc1MXxXbcDI/edit?usp=sharing

• Locked thread