Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Garbd
Dec 29, 2008

FFXI owned and was poo poo at the same time and I loved it the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post

Garbd posted:

FFXI owned and was poo poo at the same time and I loved it the end

Never has there been a truer post.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
I feel pity for those who cannot feel such joy as looking for a group for 5 hours as a dragoon and finally getting one, only to do 3 pulls and wipe and the party disbands. Netting you a loss of xp.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Is there any point whatsoever to the Not Gamerpoints you earn from achievements? I know you can get titles and items from certain cheevos, but the points seem kinda worthless.

Also, i'm sorta annoyed that they didn't just give the game Steam achievements too, when they already have an achievement system anyway.

Rohypnol Blitz
May 12, 2014
XI was awesome, and whenever I mention that in my FC I always get "BUT THE GRIND! THE GRIIIIIND!!!!" Last time I checked farming 13500 myth for books was a grind, and atma farming for hours and hours with no drops was also a grind. Not as bad as Relic/Mythic weapons in XI but the game still has a grind. I suggested something less repetitive like difficult bosses rather than grinding the same dungeon (coughbrayfloxcough) 270 times and they'd rather keep it boring so "People can't buy wins like they did with Titan HM" ...Right.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Kuai posted:

I feel pity for those who cannot feel such joy as looking for a group for 5 hours as a dragoon and finally getting one, only to do 3 pulls and wipe and the party disbands. Netting you a loss of xp.

As a former FFXI samurai, I know Jeuno like the back of my hand.

Sitting around LFP and waiting for fafhogg spawn windows was half the reason I even owned handheld games.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Freak Futanari posted:

Is there any point whatsoever to the Not Gamerpoints you earn from achievements? I know you can get titles and items from certain cheevos, but the points seem kinda worthless.

Also, i'm sorta annoyed that they didn't just give the game Steam achievements too, when they already have an achievement system anyway.

We live in a day and age where people see a number in a video game and ask "is there really a reason for me to make the number go up?"

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Freak Futanari posted:

The points are just a gauge to compare yourself to other players, not that it's a very good one.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SpaceDrake posted:

They actually haven't given a subscriber count yet, aside from one mention that the initial after-free-month period saw the game retain more subscribers than FFXI ever had, which would put it north of 600,000. The 1.8 and 2 million figures are accounts that have actively played the game. So they've sold somewhere in the neighborhood of at least 1.5 million copies of the game (since 1.0 players got ARR for free), and it's probably more than that, and that figure likely went up enormously after this past week courtesy of Steam. Consistent sub numbers remain nebulous, although given the general activity in PBC and on Excal in general, they have to be relatively significant or the number of players in-game simply makes no sense.

Yes, they've given (rough) numbers of active subs, like here:
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/14/dragon-quest-x-impressive-300000-daily-active-players-japan/

YoshiP posted:

“I’d like to start out by talking about the current number of players (accounts for Final Fantasy XIV), as we currently surpassed the mark of 1.8 million,”

Also:

quote:

“Hmm, daily actives are numbers that can easily be misunderstood… and the peak time between Japan and other countries are different,” responds Yoshida. “If we go by the amount of people who log in each day, it’s about 500,000 people worldwide. There are people who also log in at least once every two days, so if we were to include those, the the figure would be much higher.”

So of the 1.8 million active subs they had the time of that article, around half a million are logged in to daily (and other activity periods, which is standard info to watch in MMOs). I'm not sure where you're grabbing numbers from but they've been pretty clear about how many active subs they've hit. At the time of that article they were at 1.8 million accounts with active subscriptions, not 1.8 million boxes sold since (re)launch.

No idea how many copies of the game they've sold since 2.0 came out but considering they have upwards of 2 million active subs (unless the game tanked since March, which is doubtful) but FF14 is far, far more active right now than FF11 was. The daily active user count mentioned in that article was pushing close to FF11's total active subscription count.

e: Alternately, one could believe Yoshi (or a translator) isn't great with English and he's talking about total accounts, however when your DAU is half a million either you have an obscenely engaged playerbase or your sub count is much higher. relevant sub figures should come with any financial data they have to disclose though.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 3, 2014

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

pksage posted:

100 cooking checking in. Jesus christ, running back and forth to Norg to get a non-stacking ingredient for one of the 90-100ish recipes with that game's limited inventory space was the ultimate hamster wheel. I knew that stupid route through the jungle way too well.
99+2 cooking here, I got it to break into the next HQ tier for squid sushi, not really much point in going past that.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Edit: everything handled swiftly by The Chairman. Still a glorious leader I see.

Nitramster fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 3, 2014

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I can finally cosplay the character in my avatar.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yes, they've given (rough) numbers of active subs, like here:
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/14/dragon-quest-x-impressive-300000-daily-active-players-japan/

Also:

So of the 1.8 million active subs they had the time of that article, around half a million are logged in to daily (and other activity periods, which is standard info to watch in MMOs). I'm not sure where you're grabbing numbers from but they've been pretty clear about how many active subs they've hit. At the time of that article they were at 1.8 million accounts with active subscriptions, not 1.8 million boxes sold since (re)launch.

No idea how many copies of the game they've sold since 2.0 came out but considering they have upwards of 2 million active subs (unless the game tanked since March, which is doubtful) but FF14 is far, far more active right now than FF11 was. The daily active user count mentioned in that article was pushing close to FF11's total active subscription count.

e: Alternately, one could believe Yoshi (or a translator) isn't great with English and he's talking about total accounts, however when your DAU is half a million either you have an obscenely engaged playerbase or your sub count is much higher. relevant sub figures should come with any financial data they have to disclose though.

EVE hits a peak concurrent user number of around 50k with around 500k accounts, for a point of comparison. Unsure about DAU as there's a fairly wide TZ spread. I'd guess something in the 150k range.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

:allears: Can you glamor that poo poo? BLM throwing poo poo everywhere while dressed like that would be hella touhou

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
The whole point is to be glamourable, so get ready to get your touhou (or specifically your Patchouli) on.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

What the hell is a touhou

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

What the hell is a touhou

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3540305

Both of the girls in my avatar are touhou

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

im sorry i asked

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This is what happens when you join the Coast Guard.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I know the steam and amazon sales just ended, but is there anywhere I can get this game for <$20 (digital download) right now? A friend of mine had a change of heart the day after all the sales.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

The Chocobo Raising preview is out, and it seems interesting. Looks like you'll be able to increase the maximum rank to 20 (and probably achieve it as early as next year). It looks like you can even raise someone else's Chocobo if they're in your FC? Seems kinda neat to me.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I really hope we will be able to get the treats through gathering, otherwise the prices are going to be insane. If it is going to be a gardening only thing the 24 plots are never going to be enough for the entire FC.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Freaksaus posted:

I really hope we will be able to get the treats through gathering, otherwise the prices are going to be insane. If it is going to be a gardening only thing the 24 plots are never going to be enough for the entire FC.

Yeah, I expect demand for this to be really high. My FC currently has a small house and we're kicking ourselves for it right now, since this is going to restrict us even more. I suppose this means we'll be selling the treats to fund our new home, haha.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Ahahaha, now we have to use up valuable Glazenut plots for horsebird fodder. Yes, let's restrict stuff to feed your Chocobos to gardens, of which many houses are stuck with only one plot and for which demand will probably already be high for larger FC's.

Though I guess it'll make the actual non-Than soils useful unless they only bring one crop that can only be NQ. I also hope you can just buy the seeds instead of having to intercross to get them, because that isn't painful enough for items you'll actually want. And all to level a companion that really doesn't need more levels since Chocobos are only useful for FATEs and solo content, with FATEs already being well-populated and solo content being trivial by the time you'll actually have your Chocobo at Rank 10.

This seems like it's gonna be stupid, but I guess we'll get a better idea once we see it in-game.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Mega64 posted:

Ahahaha, now we have to use up valuable Glazenut plots for horsebird fodder. Yes, let's restrict stuff to feed your Chocobos to gardens, of which many houses are stuck with only one plot and for which demand will probably already be high for larger FC's.

Though I guess it'll make the actual non-Than soils useful unless they only bring one crop that can only be NQ. I also hope you can just buy the seeds instead of having to intercross to get them, because that isn't painful enough for items you'll actually want. And all to level a companion that really doesn't need more levels since Chocobos are only useful for FATEs and solo content, with FATEs already being well-populated and solo content being trivial by the time you'll actually have your Chocobo at Rank 10.

This seems like it's gonna be stupid, but I guess we'll get a better idea once we see it in-game.

It seems like the standard "Take a good idea and put it behind walls of bullshit" that's become a recurring theme in the last few patches

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Yeah, i really hope they make the chocofood attainable some way other than gardening. I was looking forward to maybe being able to level my Chocobo at a pace other than "glacial" but it looks like it's gonna be impossible to afford if they make it garden-only.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Freak Futanari posted:

I'm not sure what "worthless" means in the context of video game achievements. Will they snag you a job or a spouse? Probably not. Can you trade them in for gil? No.

PS4 has trophies somewhat tied to the achievement system. They're still worthless, but fun to go for if you're into them.

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank

Rohypnol Blitz posted:

XI was awesome, and whenever I mention that in my FC I always get "BUT THE GRIND! THE GRIIIIIND!!!!" Last time I checked farming 13500 myth for books was a grind, and atma farming for hours and hours with no drops was also a grind. Not as bad as Relic/Mythic weapons in XI but the game still has a grind. I suggested something less repetitive like difficult bosses rather than grinding the same dungeon (coughbrayfloxcough) 270 times and they'd rather keep it boring so "People can't buy wins like they did with Titan HM" ...Right.

Wouldn't second coil be the definition of difficult bosses that give better loot? There are two pretty clear gearing paths, one grindy and one shorter with difficult mechanics.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

im sorry i asked

anything for a fellow gipper~

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

PhilippAchtel posted:

PS4 has trophies somewhat tied to the achievement system. They're still worthless, but fun to go for if you're into them.

Technically they're PSN trophies since they carry over between the PS3 and PS4 versions of the game. Not all of them are based on the in-game achievements, there's one for killing a single enemy and one for crafting a single item for each of the crafting classes, plus one for gathering once for each gathering class. There are also far fewer of them than there are in-game achievements, but that shouldn't really be surprising considering how many in-game cheevos there are.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
I like that there's a trophy you cannot get without subscribing for six months.

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Is that chocobo raising preview really bare bones, or is it literally just another way to get exp for them? I thought it would be more like XI in that it's a precursor to chocobo racing and they would be getting stats and stuff.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Cool Blue Reason posted:

Is that chocobo raising preview really bare bones, or is it literally just another way to get exp for them? I thought it would be more like XI in that it's a precursor to chocobo racing and they would be getting stats and stuff.

They've hinted at a Golden Saucer area with racing in the past. I'm guessing this is just the foundation for that, whenever it finally shows up.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Mega64 posted:

And all to level a companion that really doesn't need more levels since Chocobos are only useful for FATEs and solo content, with FATEs already being well-populated and solo content being trivial by the time you'll actually have your Chocobo at Rank 10.

They've said that the Rank A Elite Hunts are designed to be able to be done with one's companion (as opposed to Rank B, which are soloable, and Rank S, which require a group), so there's that.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

For those of you thinking about it, both PBC and DGKK have online populations about the same as when 2.2 came out, and we are most definitely in the most dead time in the patch cycle.

We fully expect 2.3 to be the most populated time the game has seen since the initial launch and my personal speculation is we will see PBC break 50% fc online once again.

Eorzea lives.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Guys, guys... So I got excited because I heard Private Chambers were coming, but now just read that they were for Estates for FC. (Why did I think Inns would have furnishable rooms? )

Are Inns going to have private Furnishable rooms too? Did they ever say this? Am I hallucinating?

Also does having a private room mean there will be item storage options? My inventory is bizonkers.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It's a way to keep gaining companion xp while you are off doing dungeon runs or crafting, so as long as the veggies aren't too obnoxious to obtain then it should greatly speed up the chocobro leveling process for most players. And if the veggies turn out to be garden-only, my two man FC with a garden will rake in the cash too. :v:

Now just watch the eventual Gold Saucer expansion require you to use rank 20 chocobos for any chance of success at racing.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Feenix posted:

Guys, guys... So I got excited because I heard Private Chambers were coming, but now just read that they were for Estates for FC. (Why did I think Inns would have furnishable rooms? )

Are Inns going to have private Furnishable rooms too? Did they ever say this? Am I hallucinating?

Also does having a private room mean there will be item storage options? My inventory is bizonkers.

I think you may have confused FFXIV private rooms with FFXI's mog rooms, since they were basically inn rooms you could furnish.

Also, you have item storage options. They're called retainers, you can have two of them (plus, optionally, an additional two for $2/month each), and each one can hold 175 items. Unless you've already filled up their inventories and you need even more storage?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Feenix posted:

No, they never said that inn rooms would be furnishable. And no, a private bedroom is just like having a FC house but it's smaller and for you to decorate.

If you were on Excalibur this wouldn't be an issue! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

RuanGacho posted:

For those of you thinking about it, both PBC and DGKK have online populations about the same as when 2.2 came out, and we are most definitely in the most dead time in the patch cycle.

We fully expect 2.3 to be the most populated time the game has seen since the initial launch and my personal speculation is we will see PBC break 50% fc online once again.

Eorzea lives.

For those who need further clarification: this means we are expecting peak hours to see in excess of three hundred goddamned Goons online at once during the initial parts of 2.3, especially the free weekend.

We joke occasionally, but XIV is about as far as you can be from Dead Game without having "Warcraft" or "EVE" in your name. I can't wait for next week.

• Locked thread