Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deep dish peat moss

This guy hired me to edit his resume, his Work Experience section is a single eight-page-long paragraph, he has 37 separate references listed, many of which are first-name-only, the names of more than half of the businesses he has worked for are misspelled, and his cover letter is a generic "I would be grateful if you offered me the posted position for which I have applied" sheet.

I've been looking for a job recently and I was shocked at how easy it is to get offers right now, I sent out 25 resumes last week and got 14 calls. If this is my competition, I know why it's so easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bwatts

obtaining a job is real easy.

deep dish peat moss

Everything is paying super high right now too, the avg. pay when I was looking last week was around $15-18/hour compared to just 2 years ago when $13/hour was like "drat"

google THIS

i've determined for myself that most of the freelancers on odesk must be idiots b/c my profile isn't all that fleshed out but usually when i apply to a job they respond to me out of like 47 applicants and hire me on the spot

to be fair at least half of those other applicants are indian and claim to be fluent in verbal and written english and are lying

deep dish peat moss

oDesk's English fluency tests are written by those same Indians who are not fluent. That's why I ended up closing my account and never working through them.

deep dish peat moss

The one time I conducted interviews at my old job, this guy's previous five years of work experience just said "circus performer" and during the interview he talked about how he had become addicted to Meth when working for the circus and so he was seeking a new path through life.

Blue's Clues

I was watching Pacific Rim about a month ago and paused it to go the the bathroom. When I cam back and hit play, it immediately went into the scene with Ron Perlman.

deep dish peat moss

gah, I knew I should have typed alt+0233 (memorized because of my days building a geocities pokémon fansite...)

Eye of Widesauron

I always enjoy reading resumes where people forget to proofread and leave in cover sheets and stuff for other job applications

deep dish peat moss

"I would be grateful if you accept my resume for the position stipulated in my application for your organization. I have enclosed my resume with this letter that will give you detailed information about educational qualifications and work experience.

I would appreciate if we would meet up for a follow up interview and discuss this more. You can call me at [number] or email me at [email]"

That is this guy's cover letter. :laugh:

google THIS

Funnypost Collabo posted:

oDesk's English fluency tests are written by those same Indians who are not fluent. That's why I ended up closing my account and never working through them.

well tbh i think that's why a lot of my clients have insisted on skype interviews that only lasted like a minute, once i showed i could communicate a coherent thought in english on the fly i was in

LaTex Fetish

i am he

zelda is the girl

deep dish peat moss

Jett posted:

well tbh i think that's why a lot of my clients have insisted on skype interviews that only lasted like a minute, once i showed i could convey a coherent thought on the fly i was in

Seems like a cool site if you get going but a lot of things just made me real mad. One of the big discussions on their forums when I was looking in to it were people complaining that the site was enforcing a $2/hour minimum wage because "there are several workers from the Philippines etc. on this website who are more than willing to work for $0.50/hour, if you are forcing me to pay at least $2/hour I will no longer use your service."

deep dish peat moss

I would love to throw this resumé in the garbage can.

Frank Horrigan

by Ralp

Definitely this one. :eyepop:

LaTex Fetish

I would love to throw this resumé in the garbage can.

but you ain't even got to the good parts

deep dish peat moss

Hello, please take this extended pamphlet of poorly-chosen fonts placed on busy, unreadable backgrounds, in which I explain the qualities of a good anime, as proof positive that I am the Graphic Designer you are looking for.

LaTex Fetish

I don't know about you, but i'm always looking for someone to kick back and watch some good anime with.

need to rewatch Evangelion sometime this year (do it every year lol)

Machai

The worst one I have seen is that brony engineer one that was all pony themed and really dumb and bad

cuntman.net

Raip posted:

The worst one I have seen is that brony engineer one that was all pony themed and really dumb and bad

i hate that i know exactly which one your talking about

SIDS Vicious

Frank Horrigan posted:

Definitely this one. :eyepop:

this one guys?

FluffieDuckie

we got a resume once that had a contact email with a local gang name as part of the email address. we went, um no, and pitched it

cuntman.net

Oil Can Boyd posted:

this one guys?

so thats where i know it from

SIDS Vicious

Sleepy Owl posted:

so thats where i know it from

its not mine i just meant hey its right here in the thread!

City of Glompton

oh guys...those are bad. welcome to my life.

cruft

What job is this lady even applying for? Everything she lists as skills, she's bad at. Even clerical work seems like a bad fit.

Kids, it's called work, and not happy fun time.

cruft

Siluvayne posted:

oh guys...those are bad. welcome to my life.

:(

deep dish peat moss

I didn't even notice the part that said "Don't throw this away just yet!" when I said I would love to throw that resume in the garbage bin.

LaTex Fetish

I didn't even notice the part that said "Don't throw this away just yet!" when I said I would love to throw that resume in the garbage bin.

it's funny because she was aware of how bad it was but still decided it was good enough to be sent

FluffieDuckie

FluffieDuckie posted:

we got a resume once that had a contact email with a local gang name as part of the email address. we went, um no, and pitched it

the moral of this story is if your email is "ilikebigdixs@yahoo.com" or something you might think about setting up a new one.

this piece of resume advice free of charge from the duck

Frank Horrigan

by Ralp
Try working in anything IT-related. The sheer amount of half-assed resumes from "self-taught" basement dwelling nerds is hilarious. YEAH I TAUGHT MYSELF VBASIC, PLEASE GIVE ME A JOB THAT PAYS $130K A YEAR

LaTex Fetish

Frank Horrigan posted:

Try working in anything IT-related. The sheer amount of half-assed resumes from "self-taught" basement dwelling nerds is hilarious. YEAH I TAUGHT MYSELF VBASIC, PLEASE GIVE ME A JOB THAT PAYS $130K A YEAR

please don't reveal my job-getting secrets

RudeCat

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

This guy hired me to edit his resume, his Work Experience section is a single eight-page-long paragraph, he has 37 separate references listed, many of which are first-name-only, the names of more than half of the businesses he has worked for are misspelled, and his cover letter is a generic "I would be grateful if you offered me the posted position for which I have applied" sheet.

I hope Benny the Snake is paying you well.

deep dish peat moss

LaTex Fetish posted:

it's funny because she was aware of how bad it was but still decided it was good enough to be sent

She also used the word "goddamn" in a resume.

deep dish peat moss

MNy resume is just a business card that says "Gimme the goddamn job" and has a phone#. Nothing else

Frank Horrigan

by Ralp

LaTex Fetish posted:

please don't reveal my job-getting secrets

If you want to maximize the visibility of your resume, include any guilds you run as "leadership experience". I'll laugh at it for another 10 seconds before throwing it into the garbage, hth

cruft

That's not a résumé, it's a printout of a geocities page.

City of Glompton

FluffieDuckie posted:

the moral of this story is if your email is "ilikebigdixs@yahoo.com" or something you might think about setting up a new one.

this piece of resume advice free of charge from the duck

email addresses I have seen used on resumes at my work (remember I help people find jobs)

luv2bfreaky

cakebaby

sexxylexxi

things ending in 69 and 420

goony forum name/d&d character name emails

and so many more I've blocked them out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai

It's almost like she does not understand what being professional means.

• Locked thread