Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

DrHolmesPhD posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sister_Ray
It's a song about a homosexual transvestite. I feel as though this raises questions about Scarlet.

Hold on a a second. This is her bio from the Wiki.
"Scarlet has blonde hair and blue eyes. She wears her hair tied up. In Before Crisis -Final Fantasy VII- her earrings are blue, and in Final Fantasy VII they are red. In Final Fantasy VII she has a necklace she does not wear in Before Crisis. Scarlet dresses in a long red satin dress that has a plunging neckline and a slit on the side and matching high heels. Under her dress she wears black thigh-high stay-up stockings.

Scarlet is the only female Shinra executive, and is cruel and ambitious. She is blunt and does not care if her remarks hurt others. Scarlet is unbothered by violence and often resorts to violent means as her first choice of how to deal with problems facing herself and Shinra Inc. She is passive towards the atrocities the Shinra Company commits and only looks after her own status within the company. As the head of Weapons Development within Shinra, she appears to have a fascination with machines and weapons of mass destruction."

She's the ONLY female in Shinra, but that's not entirely true. Unless Turks don't count. But again, the fact she's the ONLY Female, brings up even MORE questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Silegna posted:

She's the ONLY female in Shinra, but that's not entirely true. Unless Turks don't count. But again, the fact she's the ONLY Female, brings up even MORE questions.

The only female executive, in a Japanese game from the 90s, portrayed in a fashion that a lot of Westerner-fetish Japanese men would "appreciate". Scarlet loves blowing poo poo up, it's no surprise that she'd have the hots for a giant gun built to blow entire cities off the face of the planet.

It's entirely possible that "Sister Ray" is either something the devs thought sounded cool and didn't think about, or a dick joke for Shinra as a whole (in a similar vein as the end of Dr. Strangelove). I'm really not down with the whole "Scarlet is a dude" theory here.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

The Turks are Black Operatives, not Executives.

They meant that Scarlet is the only female on the Board of Directors, which was obvious the first time we saw them meet.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

rickiep00h posted:

The only female executive, in a Japanese game from the 90s, portrayed in a fashion that a lot of Westerner-fetish Japanese men would "appreciate". Scarlet loves blowing poo poo up, it's no surprise that she'd have the hots for a giant gun built to blow entire cities off the face of the planet.

It's entirely possible that "Sister Ray" is either something the devs thought sounded cool and didn't think about, or a dick joke for Shinra as a whole (in a similar vein as the end of Dr. Strangelove). I'm really not down with the whole "Scarlet is a dude" theory here.
She's not a dude.

She just wants to gently caress the Earth with her own giant dick and make people beg for more. :unsmigghh:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

She's just a chick with penis envy. Uncommon for sure, but it does happen.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

waah posted:

She's just a chick with penis envy. Uncommon for sure, but it does happen.

No envy here: she already has the biggest dick on the planet, bigger than Cloud's or even Sephiroth's sword. Maybe that's the joke with the name.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

George posted:

No envy here: she already has the biggest dick on the planet, bigger than Cloud's or even Sephiroth's sword. Maybe that's the joke with the name.

Maybe she knows that Sephiroth likes pegging

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Well then, this got weird in a hurry.

Excited to see this this next part. Every time I replay this, I put off the Chocobo breeding until this point in the game.

I've still got my original printouts from 1998 of a breeding guide I found on a geocities page. It's a ridiculously circuitous and needlessly complicated method involving purchasing and feeding greens in certain percentages of your total based on which chocobo is being fed? I've grown comfortable with it and I refuse to breed chocobos any other way. Also, the BradyGames guide has a hilariously bad breeding guide in it that left me lost for ages.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
I imagine said guide is basically getting into the nitty gritty of getting maximum racing stats on a chocobo with minimum gil expenditure. Honestly I find it easier to just sell off an All materia and buy all the best greens from the chocobo sage and overkill it with sheer cash flow.

... I guess President Shinra was right. It is better to rule the world through money (and the apocalyptic doom materia you acquire through it.)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I bought FFVII during the steam sale, but from what I've heard the soundtrack of the PC version is really bad. Is this true, and if so is there a mod to fix this?

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

SirPhoebos posted:

I bought FFVII during the steam sale, but from what I've heard the soundtrack of the PC version is really bad. Is this true, and if so is there a mod to fix this?
Have you actually played yet? Apparently that was fixed already

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Cruseydr posted:

Have you actually played yet? Apparently that was fixed already

Err, no I haven't (:downs:) so that's good to hear.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

SirPhoebos posted:

Err, no I haven't (:downs:) so that's good to hear.

The translation is weird though. And by weird I mean better. It just loses charm when you don't see "this guy are sick". And the bizarre "so that's how you fooled them" bit outside Honeybee Inn actually makes sense.

Rohypnol Blitz
May 12, 2014
Did they fix all the typos? Jenova only has one line and even that is messed up in the original.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Off course!

(They fixed that one too.)

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

eating only apples posted:

The translation is weird though. And by weird I mean better. It just loses charm when you don't see "this guy are sick". And the bizarre "so that's how you fooled them" bit outside Honeybee Inn actually makes sense.
On the other hand maybe the plot will make more sense now! :v: cuz honestly the only reason I've been finally understanding about 30% of it is thanks to Elentor's generous wisdom.

Squibidyflop
Jul 30, 2013

FinalGamer posted:

On the other hand maybe the plot will make more sense now! :v: cuz honestly the only reason I've been finally understanding about 30% of it is thanks to Elentor's generous wisdom.

I've been using this LP as a companion piece/chocobo breeding guide for my first playthrough of the game, and I can honestly say that without it I wouldn't have a clue what was going on past Cloud's little brainfart.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Squibidyflop posted:

I've been using this LP as a companion piece/chocobo breeding guide for my first playthrough of the game, and I can honestly say that without it I wouldn't have a clue what was going on past Cloud's little brainfart.

It's because so much of this drat game is understated. There are very few times in the game where it basically says hey dumb rear end this is what's happening.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

waah posted:

It's because so much of this drat game is understated. There are very few times in the game where it basically says hey dumb rear end this is what's happening.

I can only assume that people bitching about FF7 and FF8's stories is the reason why newer JRPGs seem to enjoy beating you upside the head with the plot points they want you to know about. (IT'S OUR FOCUS, GOTTA FIND OUR FOCUS)

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

KataraniSword posted:

I can only assume that people bitching about FF7 and FF8's stories is the reason why newer JRPGs seem to enjoy beating you upside the head with the plot points they want you to know about. (IT'S OUR FOCUS, GOTTA FIND OUR FOCUS)

Were there subtleties like this in 8? I always remembered the big plot twists there as being kind of non-sequiturs, but I guess when I played it I was 16 and this LP proves I wasn't exactly reading subtexts at the time since I missed all the ones in FF7.

Now I hope someone does an in-depth, plot- and character-analytical LP like this one, but for 8.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Akratic Method posted:

Were there subtleties like this in 8? I always remembered the big plot twists there as being kind of non-sequiturs, but I guess when I played it I was 16 and this LP proves I wasn't exactly reading subtexts at the time since I missed all the ones in FF7.

Now I hope someone does an in-depth, plot- and character-analytical LP like this one, but for 8.

It was less "subtleties" and more "the foreshadowing and connecting threads were all hidden in NPC dialogue and in-game help files you'd have no reason to bother with". And there was a halfway in-depth, completed FF8 LP!

...It was Azure Horizon's. :negative:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah, 8 isn't really subtle, but there is a lot stuck off in NPC/side stuff you never read that really does fill in a lot of the blanks.

e: then again 7 is sometimes intentionally obscure as hell, which is fine. What isn't fine is forgetting to tie it all up later. Sometimes it forgets that, and, well...

Personally I'm a fan of taking risks in narrative even if they don't pay out (though, obviously, they should) simpley because playing it safe the whole way through isn't exciting to me. allow me to write 47,000 words on why I love KOTOR 2...

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 3, 2014

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

KataraniSword posted:

It was less "subtleties" and more "the foreshadowing and connecting threads were all hidden in NPC dialogue and in-game help files you'd have no reason to bother with". And there was a halfway in-depth, completed FF8 LP!

It's probably probation-worthy to respond to a post with just an image macro, but this is one of those nope.gif moments.

Anyway, glad to hear what I was missing wasn't quite on par with what Elentor's shown us. I seriously never realized the whole Jenova-is-Sephiroth thing, or the Gathering being behind chasing fake Sephiroth, and although I liked FF7 before, I give it a lot more credit now having seen all this stuff clearly. (So, thanks to Elentor for taking the time to present it for the last three years!)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

KataraniSword posted:

Could someone Say/PM me why Azure Horizon is looked back upon with disgust?
I missed whatever got him banned/forums radioactive.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Just look up his rap sheet?

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Literal rapist, huge loving ego, spergy as gently caress, terrible poster. Take your pick.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Psion posted:

Personally I'm a fan of taking risks in narrative even if they don't pay out (though, obviously, they should) simpley because playing it safe the whole way through isn't exciting to me. allow me to write 47,000 words on why I love KOTOR 2...

Will the last 3000 or so words be really rushed, under explored, and have lots of loose ends unexplained?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

waah posted:

Will the last 3000 or so words be really rushed, under explored, and have lots of loose ends unexplained?

Only if another person comes along a few years down the line, gets hold of Psion's notes, and rewrites it to make it not as unsatisfying.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I only played through the game once, and Hojo's "reveal" that Cloud was just something he'd cobbled together in the lab stuck with me a lot more than Tifa eventually discovering his real backstory. After I beat the game, I thought of Cloud as some kind of flesh golem who'd absorbed Tifa's stories of this dork kid she kinda knew and Zack's SOLDIER memories to create an amalgam personality. I like it better than the real story.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

KataraniSword posted:

Was there one? I looked through the lparchives and didn't see it, and I'd like a quality FF8 LP. I was actually considering getting it and playing it myself again with a walkthrough and poo poo so I don't miss stuff but if I can get an LP I'd rather do that.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Was there one? I looked through the lparchives and didn't see it, and I'd like a quality FF8 LP. I was actually considering getting it and playing it myself again with a walkthrough and poo poo so I don't miss stuff but if I can get an LP I'd rather do that.

Only finished LPs go to the LP archive. You gotta dig through the SA archives to find the unfinished FF8 LP

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Also, many Azure Horizon LPs didn't get archived at all, those can be found in the LP master list.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I'm pretty sure he finished that one, so it probably just didn't get archived.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
The ones that were on the archive aren't any more - mostly because of the whole rape thing, I'd imagine - so it's entirely possible that a lot of his stuff will have been removed from the master list too...

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

He got banned for mentioning that when his straight friends get drunk with him, he molests / rapes them.

There were a lot of reasons to dislike him as a poster, but his habit of starting an argument in every single JRPG LP about how everyone in the thread have wrong opinions regarding how good the game / other games in the series are is probably among them.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It was but I think it got taken out of the archives when he was banned, and his Beyond the Beyond one. Do they do that when someone gets banned?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

His LPs are still listed on the Master List, and show up in Archives. I checked earlier, because I wanted to look at his rap sheet.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The only Azure_Horizon LP's in the archive are ones that he did with other people. I imagine Baldurk left them in so he wasn't punishing not-rapists, but took down all his solo acts.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Here. His LP Listing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Xander77 posted:

He got banned for mentioning that when his straight friends get drunk with him, he molests / rapes them.

Oh right I remember that, vaguely. I don't pay a lot of attention to forum drama like that so I didn't even recognize the name.

Thanks. I didn't even know there was a master list.

• Locked thread