Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

octopodes :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

eithedog posted:

code:

<a href="#" class="go-home center-map">Centre map <i class="icon orange-arrow"></i></a>

While working on a CSS implementation, I once presided over a pitched battle about use of "colour" and "color" in variable and field names. I normally rock the "u" myself, but honestly that's not a battle that's winnable at a US software company, the spec uses "color" everywhere, and consistency trumps basically everything.

Acceptable, but not mandatory.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

aag nooo

https://github.com/search?q=hieght+&type=Code&ref=searchresults

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

baluchitheria :colbert:

gently caress if I know what that is

canis minor
May 4, 2011

https://github.com/search?q=heigth&type=Code&ref=searchresults

https://github.com/search?q=widht&type=Code&ref=searchresults

https://github.com/search?q=pading&type=Code&ref=searchresults

https://github.com/search?q=aling&type=Code&ref=searchresults

https://github.com/search?q=visilibity&type=Code&ref=searchresults

https://github.com/search?q=stlye&type=Code&ref=searchresults

https://github.com/search?q=becouse&ref=searchresults&type=Code

https://github.com/search?q=curent&type=Code&ref=searchresults

https://github.com/search?q=namepsace&type=Code&ref=searchresults

https://github.com/search?q=htlm&type=Code&ref=searchresults

ok, i'm done...

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
https://github.com/search?q=teh&type=Code&ref=searchresults

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Edison was a dick posted:

The correct plural is Winklesvoss. :haw:

Winkelvosen :colbert:

People who use boxen as the plural for box should be beaten with a rubber hose

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

1337JiveTurkey posted:

baluchitheria :colbert:

gently caress if I know what that is

You win.

Also https://github.com/search?q=%24password+%3D&type=Code&ref=searchresults

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

1337JiveTurkey posted:

There's one particular place in our codebase that drives me up the wall. It's someone being pretentious and deciding to pluralize status as statii. If you're going to be clever with pluralizations, first the sense that the word's being used in is fourth declension, not second declension. Second, even if it were second declension, statius isn't a word. Third, the plural of status is status, just the emphasis is on the second syllable when you pronounce it. Fourth, I took four loving years of Latin and even then I don't waste peoples' time with that bullshit.

Nobody who does the latin pluralization actually knows latin. I hope this helps you in some way.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I work on a codebase in which "experiments" feature heavily. At least once a day I mistype it as "expermients".

I've managed to avoid actually committing that, though.

The hell is an aling?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ToxicFrog posted:

I work on a codebase in which "experiments" feature heavily. At least once a day I mistype it as "expermients".

The hell is an aling?

Align :ssh:

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
I've seen "expection" used in place of "exception." I kinda like it, though... it's an expected exception!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

ESL here, and I hate the word length exactly because I always misspell it, and then I will spend a lot of time wondering why the gently caress "lenght" is undefined.

Case in point, I misspelled it in the first instance of it in this post, when I wanted to spell it properly and spelled it right when I wanted to misspell it. :eng99:

Also, I had to work on a system to handle "pedidos" (translates to "order", "request", etc. in Portuguese). If you lose a certain "d", the word would read as "peidos", meaning "farts". Guess what was my most common typo for the month.

Also, a colleague of mine once committed a page full of "dic"s.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

HardDisk posted:

ESL here, and I hate the word length exactly because I always misspell it, and then I will spend a lot of time wondering why the gently caress "lenght" is undefined.

Case in point, I misspelled it in the first instance of it in this post, when I wanted to spell it properly and spelled it right when I wanted to misspell it. :eng99:

Which is likely a problem for anyone with a first language that doesn't feature the θ and ð "th" sounds. If you pronounce it like "lengt" it's not strange to misspell it, however if you learn to pronounce "lengθ" then the misspelling should go away.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Ithaqua posted:

I've seen "expection" used in place of "exception." I kinda like it, though... it's an expected exception!

From now on, when I write a unit test that verifies an exception is thrown under a particular condition, I'm calling it an expection.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Mikey-San posted:

From now on, when I write a unit test that verifies an exception is thrown under a particular condition, I'm calling it an expection.

I like this.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
We have an xml product that contains records of votes on certain pieces of legislation, breaking the totals out into Democrats/Republicans/etc. But Republicans was spelled "republicians", and we can't fix it now because it would break innumerable downstream workflows.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Extortionist posted:

We have an xml product that contains records of votes on certain pieces of legislation, breaking the totals out into Democrats/Republicans/etc. But Republicans was spelled "republicians", and we can't fix it now because it would break innumerable downstream workflows.

Offer an alternative "version 2" feed that has the typo fixed and threaten to deprecate the old one.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Edison was a dick posted:

Offer an alternative "version 2" feed that has the typo fixed and threaten to deprecate the old one.

If I worked in a place with anything approaching sensible practices I might consider it. This is actually a project our group had to rewrite from scratch to replace another group's product--the typo was theirs and we had to replicate it, the downstream teams wouldn't give a minute's effort to fixing anything.

But even if I did that a) no one would pay attention, the old one would be deprecated and the new one would still break everything, and b) no one would notice anything was broken until some day I'd just end up with a many-times-forwarded e-mail originating from an loc.gov address in my inbox asking why in the world this feature was broken and I'd have to go and change it back anyway.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Extortionist posted:

If I worked in a place with anything approaching sensible practices I might consider it. This is actually a project our group had to rewrite from scratch to replace another group's product--the typo was theirs and we had to replicate it, the downstream teams wouldn't give a minute's effort to fixing anything.

But even if I did that a) no one would pay attention, the old one would be deprecated and the new one would still break everything, and b) no one would notice anything was broken until some day I'd just end up with a many-times-forwarded e-mail originating from an loc.gov address in my inbox asking why in the world this feature was broken and I'd have to go and change it back anyway.

I suggest starting a competing political party called the Republicians, with better policies.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

qntm posted:

I suggest starting a competing political party called the Republicians, with better policies.

The only way this ends is with Tastycrats and Fingerlicans

Nimrod
Sep 20, 2003

qntm posted:

The best of both worlds: The Republican Patrician.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Extortionist posted:

referer

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

Mikey-San posted:

Similarly, if it's not a variable, it's a constable.

BigRedDot
Mar 6, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

I almost checked in a comment about the "clit tool" the other day.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

http://www.php.net/manual/en/datetimeimmutable.modify.php

pre:
public DateTimeImmutable DateTimeImmutable::modify ( string $modify )
What a horrible name for what it actually does.

Sedro
Dec 31, 2008

quote:

It's called modify() for compatibility with the DateTime interface. The whole point of the class is that it's a drop-in replacement for DateTime, and giving the method a different name would defeat that purpose.
It's a drop-in replacement. Except for not having the same behavior at all.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I would buy that if calling the method just raised an immediate exception or something, but I'm guessing that's not what happens.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

GrumpyDoctor posted:

I would buy that if calling the method just raised an immediate exception or something, but I'm guessing that's not what happens.

It apparently returns a new DateTimeImmutable with the desired modifications applied to a copy of the receiver, which is reasonable except for the hilariously misleading name.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

GrumpyDoctor posted:

The docs make it seem like it returns a new DateTimeImmutable... :raise:

Maybe they want people to do something like:
code:

$newDti = $oldDti->modify("+5 hours");

// Do stuff with both new and old DateTimeImmutables...

Using "clone" seems way more straight forward though.

E: fudge.

Sedro
Dec 31, 2008

Deus Rex posted:

It apparently returns a new DateTimeImmutable with the desired modifications applied to a copy of the receiver, which is reasonable except for the hilariously misleading name.
Except sometimes it returns false

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Sedro posted:

hahahaha why

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
What date does it coerce false to for comparisons?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I love PHP because you can never tell what the gently caress it's going to do. Warnings, notices, exceptions, fatal errors, or just return false. :shepface:

Edit: I forgot about catchable fatal errors...

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 4, 2014

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

God, you guys. It's obviously just some legacy garbage from some ancient version of PH-

quote:

(PHP 5 >= 5.5.0)

Oh.

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

"I'm actually a tortoise."
Grimey Drawer
"Modify" for an operation that actually returns a modified copy instead of mutating the original object is slightly weird, but is somewhat reasonable when it's used in the context of a guaranteed immutable object. Mutation and modification are not the same thing. I'm also inclined to buy the explanation about compatibility with the old API. With all this in mind, I'm going to give PHP as pass on thi

Sedro posted:

oh

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Looks like Go is now the next language for the Rails/NodeJS hipsters to flock to. I wonder when they'll arrive at a language that has a strong type system.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Sagacity posted:

Looks like Go is now the next language for the Rails/NodeJS hipsters to flock to. I wonder when they'll arrive at a language that has a strong type system.

quote:

the more I’m frustrated by Node’s direction, which favors performance
:psyduck:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

That quote isn't so unreasonable, isn't one of the major problems with Node that it's easy to write fast but hard to maintain code?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canis minor
May 4, 2011

fidel sarcastro posted:

That quote isn't so unreasonable, isn't one of the major problems with Node that it's easy to write fast but hard to maintain code?

Um... This is the result - seeing that most people do any JS dev without any sort of OO in mind.

(Apologies if your objects / libs are nicely structured instead of being a bunch of closures within closures within closures )