Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
At the end of the pocket tactics review they say that if you haven't played the game to add a star to their score which would bring it to a 4 star game. Seem fair?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

rotaryfun posted:

At the end of the pocket tactics review they say that if you haven't played the game to add a star to their score which would bring it to a 4 star game. Seem fair?

Yeh. it's a good game. We poo poo on it a bit, but that's because of the IAP thing, mostly. Before they implemented that, we would recommend the first game whole heartedly. If you went through the thread and its predecessors, you'd find we used to like the game.

So yeah, if you haven't played the first one, this is a very good game. It's not on the same level as the PC games, obviously, but as far as iPad goes, you're not going to get a much better game of this type.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Holy poopers... MH-FU with the DS4 is incredible.

(Let me know if you need that translated. ;) )

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Feenix posted:

I imagine you have to JB to use the DS4 controller? It *might* drive me back to it!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yes. And it's so worth it.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Feenix posted:

(Let me know if you need that translated. ;) )

How is it without it?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

loudog999 posted:

How is it without it?

Still really solid. Onscreen controls like that usually irk me but these work fine ( so far)

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Feenix posted:

Still really solid. Onscreen controls like that usually irk me but these work fine ( so far)

Multiplayer on MH4U?

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Feenix posted:

Thanks, I may check it out. I just really wish there was a solid mifi controller out so I could pick it up. I am tired of dealing with jailbreaking so that has stopped being an option for me.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Multiplayer on MH4U?

Over a local connection only, I think? They say "Wifi" but I don't know if that means you just can't do 3G/LTE

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pixaal posted:

If you have a wiiU get that version. If you have a 3DS a new MonHun is coming out you can wait on that. If you only have an iOS device controller would be totally recommended. If you have a PSP get ready to break your hand learning the claw, a good controller and iOS is probably a better idea then trying to pick up a PSP one at this point.

The games are great I just don't see how it would work with touch controls they are about timing stuff. Its basically Demon / Dark Souls combat if you have played them. Only the combat (dodge stuff hit stuff you can die pretty easily, rewarding when you kill things and once you learn them you can do it faster and faster).

I'll just wait on the 3DS one then and likely try it at that time. I don't have a Wii U yet because the new Xenoblade's not out yet anyways. :sigh:

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I was wondering why people are so caught up about MH controls but then I remembered people were literally unable to figure out the controls for Tiny Wings and Nimble Quest in this thread.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Multiplayer on MH4U?

4 player over Wifi-internet.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

I was wondering why people are so caught up about MH controls but then I remembered people were literally unable to figure out the controls for Tiny Wings and Nimble Quest in this thread.

Probably because 90% of "console quality" games are unplayable by most of us who have been playing games for the last 30+ years with a controller that offers some kind of physical feedback with what you are doing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's depressing watching a kid sling around a FPS with a virtual d-pad. It doesn't bother them at all, they're at least as comfortable with it as us geezers were with the NES controller.

I'm officially irrelevant. :smith:

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
Monster hunter handled like a turd on 3ds for a noob like me, so it's probably safe to say people here will universally love the iOS version and it's touch screen controls, even at the $18.99 price

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I took a gamble and bought a $15 iTunes card for Monster Hunter, and i'm glad I did. This game is legit on the iPad. Been playing it for 6 hours straight and I feel like i'm barely scratching the surface of this game. The graphics look a lot better, framerate is always smooth, load times are quick, I havent encountered bugs, or crashes. I've played a bunch of 4 player co op matches and they were great. Since you have to be on wifi, I havent encountered any lag so far.

My complaints so far is that it needs iCloud save. But if you get iFunBox you can manually transfer saves between devices and back them up.

Also I dont see any in game chat. It uses some kind of funky 3rd party app to handle chat but they are general rooms and not specific to your match.

And if this is your first monster hunter game and you do all the training and tutorial missions, it can take several hours.

Touch controls are a non issue though. Capcom did a good job with designing the controls, and the game in general, for iOS (Like they did with SF Volt). This is not a lazy half assed quick money grabbing port.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist
What's the verdict on Age of Booty: Tactics?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Monster hunter doesn't support Ipad 2. I'm obsolete :negative:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Monster Hunter runs very, very well on my 4S; I'm definitely impressed. Load-times are basically nonexistent, too, and I remember them being annoying in the PSP original.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

goferchan posted:

Monster Hunter runs very, very well on my 4S; I'm definitely impressed. Load-times are basically nonexistent, too, and I remember them being annoying in the PSP original.

I really couldn't imagine playing Monster Hunter on an iPhone. Isn't the screen really crammed and small? How do you do it?

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

goferchan posted:

They had a few tricks like preloading and data install to cut down in unite but Jesus they were horrendous before then and switching areas was so very frequent.

I'm curious though... how's the camera lock feature?

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Guys, the Monster Hunter port is really good and the controls work really well. Tapping the screen to reset the camera is a lifesaver and everything is contextualized. I actually think it's easier to play than the PSP version (3DS might be the best, control-wise).
It's a portable wifi MH with better graphics and smoother framerate.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Tournament level for Sky Force is a bit pants this weekend isn't it? Not very imaginative at all, they ought to let players design levels.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Monster Hunter isn't really my thing but it's pretty awesome we seem to have arrived in an era where console ports take into consideration the limitations of mobile devices and actually make an effort to fix them.

It's a wonderful world.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Is there a definitive list of games on sale for the holiday weekend? I saw the post on TouchArcade but there's only like a dozen games listed; I would think there would be a lot more on sale.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So in Monster Hunter on my screen (vertically middle, left side) is a little box with a question mark in it. It's not a button and it never goes away on any screen where I'm in a level (not the village.) What gives? What is it? It blocks real estate.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Do I need to be jailbroken to transfer my monster hunter saved game from phone to iPad? If not does anybody have a link to a tutorial

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

Feenix posted:

So in Monster Hunter on my screen (vertically middle, left side) is a little box with a question mark in it. It's not a button and it never goes away on any screen where I'm in a level (not the village.) What gives? What is it? It blocks real estate.

When you start fighting large monsters it's used to toggle the lock-on mechanic.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

monkeytennis posted:

Tournament level for Sky Force is a bit pants this weekend isn't it? Not very imaginative at all, they ought to let players design levels.

Oh it's worse than unimaginative. This was the first week's level.

I only really bothered with tournament when I saw helmacron post about breaking 400k and took it as a challenge. I got to 300k and was instantly bored. I don't know how people can grind the tourney level for stars, it couldn't be more dull of an exercise.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

BGrifter posted:

Monster Hunter isn't really my thing but it's pretty awesome we seem to have arrived in an era where console ports take into consideration the limitations of mobile devices and actually make an effort to fix them.

It's a wonderful world.

I am absolutely stunned at the quality of this Monster Hunter port. The touch controls are outstanding and very intuitive. It's also the real deal, with nothing held back, content-wise. Honestly for a game of this quality 15 dollars is a steal, in my opinion.

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

Shwqa posted:

Monster hunter doesn't support Ipad 2. I'm obsolete :negative:

Is it not optimized, or it doesn't work at all on Ipad 2?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

SettingSun posted:

I am absolutely stunned at the quality of this Monster Hunter port. The touch controls are outstanding and very intuitive. It's also the real deal, with nothing held back, content-wise. Honestly for a game of this quality 15 dollars is a steal, in my opinion.

Stop saying this I still have to finish MH3U :negative:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ImsaKidd posted:

Is it not optimized, or it doesn't work at all on Ipad 2?

And does it work on a mini or are those too similar to iPad 2s? The positive posts are tempting me. :ohdear:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Evil Fluffy posted:

And does it work on a mini or are those too similar to iPad 2s? The positive posts are tempting me. :ohdear:

A mini retina is like a geometric increase over an iPad 2. Afaik it's the same hardware as an Air with a smaller screen.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
I'm scared if I get Monster Hunter that it'll push me over the edge and I'll finally have to get a job.

EDIT: Which is less a price complaint and more a cumulative effect of iOS sale impulse purchases on my budget complaint.

And Sky Force's tournament map this week is pretty awful. I agree.

Helmacron fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 5, 2014

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

Skyforce's tournament stuff has been underwhelming every week. And now I have like 50 goon friends that I guess will come in handy with the next free to play timesink I download down the road? I just wish Skyforce didn't feel like it had to be scummy to get money. Like the player quotas for the last level is dumb and I worry that I'll never see it. I bought the double star upgrade to support them early on before the stupid stuff surfaced.

Monster hunter is great though. The target lock system makes large monster hunts feel way nicer than I expected. Also there are some quality of life things changed from the original MHFU that you'll notice if you've played that game like how mining and gathering works. I'll probably go online after some more soloing but I'm glad it's not totally unplayable!

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

SettingSun posted:

It's really, really good. Got my ps4 controller hooked up. Amazing.

Anyone have luck getting Controllers for All working with World of Tanks Blitz? I got it working everywhere else I've tried except that game.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

In Sometimes You Die, does anything happen if you complete the game a second time with 0 deaths? I can see that it should be possible, but I don't think I have the patience to keep trying until I get it perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

BananaNutkins posted:

It's really, really good. Got my ps4 controller hooked up. Amazing.

Anyone have luck getting Controllers for All working with World of Tanks Blitz? I got it working everywhere else I've tried except that game.

Wait what? How do you hook up your PS4 controller? Jail broken?

• Locked thread