Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

veedubfreak posted:

Heated car seats. Never gave a poo poo, but the new car has em and by god they get used on those cold rear end winter drives.

Heated steering wheel. Opted for an older decked out car and I'm never goin' back; I'd take the wheel over the seats cause hot drat. (Seriously see bout getting it aftermarketed in if you're in the cold. Or just pull one from your 290x pile.)

Course as I say that, almost all my video cards have been AMD where I have to do stuff like create a 1920x1076 res for Crysis games to fullscreen properly. One day I'll pay the Nvidia feature fee..maybe..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Shaocaholica posted:

What about the HD 8000 series? They seem to be very scarce and newegg doesn't even stock them despite stocking 7XXX parts.

edit: Oh its mostly OEM. Why does AMD do this? Have a main level number change be mostly OEM? Also their previous naming is loving dyslexic. I hope their distributers and shippers got a lot of orders wrong.
There's no HD 8000 series because AMD changed the naming scheme to, like "R9 290".

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
If I ever get that hankerin' to watch me play a game I just play the game

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

td4guy posted:

There's no HD 8000 series because AMD changed the naming scheme to, like "R9 290".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Islands_(GPU_family)

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Breaking news, both nvidia and AMD, uhh, computer parts manufacturers, well pretty much all consumer goods do dumb things with naming.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

beejay posted:

Breaking news, both nvidia and AMD, uhh, computer parts manufacturers, well pretty much all consumer goods do dumb things with naming.

To be fair, nobody does it quite as egregiously as GPU and camera manufacturers.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
The 8990 has got to be the only rebadge of a flagship GPU. Who does that?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I guess AMD did, the question is who cares?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

beejay posted:

I guess AMD did, the question is who cares?

Historical record cares no matter how stupid.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Shaocaholica posted:

What about the HD 8000 series? They seem to be very scarce and newegg doesn't even stock them despite stocking 7XXX parts.

edit: Oh its mostly OEM. Why does AMD do this? Have a main level number change be mostly OEM? Also their previous naming is loving dyslexic. I hope their distributers and shippers got a lot of orders wrong.

Nvidia does the same poo poo. Remember the nvidia 300 series?

Nvidia is can be more confusing, for example, there are 3 very different cards all called 730, and two called 740. This happened before, too, flat out mixing new and old architecture but calling both variants the EXACT same model number. AMD has yet to do that, as far as I recall.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jul 1, 2014

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Even without the OEM only crap, why the hell do 650, 650ti, 650ti boost all use the same numbet? Why is R7 265 a Pitcairn chip like the R9 270/X and not Bonaire like R7 260/X? And mobile naming still manages to be far worse somehow:

Arzachel posted:

800m series are already out and are a mix of Kepler, Maxwell and Fermi. On top of that, Nvidia still puts several SKUs under the same name so a 860m might be a Kepler or Maxwell part with wildly different performance and power consumption. Fun!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

Heated car seats. Never gave a poo poo, but the new car has em and by god they get used on those cold rear end winter drives.

I find the cooling part far more desirable than the heating.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Anyone have an update to this?

quote:

Now, as of 2012-07-31:

The current best values for 1080p gaming are:
Nvidia GeForce 660 Ti (memory over clocking will make it even better)
And, if you must have an AMD card, the Radeon 7950 will serve you as well. It's just a bit pricier than the 660 Ti is all.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

goodness posted:

Anyone have an update to this?

That's for the parts picking megathread, not GPU discussion thread. But the 660ti has held at a high price while everything else has depreciated. The best value-to-dollar for 1080p is getting a used AMD coin-mining card (from Asus, Gigabyte, or MSI so the warranty is valid) like an R9 280X from eBay, Amazon, or PMing me.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

For 1080p so long as you don't need exotic features (that is, you're willing to turn some stuff down rather than having a bunch of stuttering), the "at MSRP" best bets are the GTX 760, or the Radeon R9 270X in my opinion; if you want to not have to turn stuff down, look into a used (from a good brand) GTX 680/670 or a used R9 280X. Some will have been used to mine *coins which brought out early failure characteristics in at least one cooler (MSI Lightning), but the moment is gonna pass if it hasn't already since it has been very clear that GPUs got outclassed by exotic altcoin ASICs for perf/power... But, you know, if you can get a 280X for cheap or a 7970GHz for cheap, they remain superbly capable cards and have a solid amount of VRAM for the card's processing power, 3GB is a good amount of RAM and it's a powerful card.

Kepler parts above the GTX 760, in terms of value proposition and of course this is just my opinion, rely largely on how much you can get them for. I love my 780Ti but it is objectively a bad idea for nearly all use cases. AMD's R9 290/290X are way better values. The GTX 700 series (Kepler and on) should be non-lovely to get used, especially if it's been taken care of worth a poo poo. nVidia's Greenlight program has showed to be very effective in that regard, reducing situations where you have to be super careful about what brand you get. They all have to be fine according to the basic criteria nVidia puts forward. Some AMD vendors are less reliable than others (mainly looking at Sapphire there).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of which... I have acquired another stack of cards from my unfortunate miner friend that I'll be reselling on the forums in a bit, this time R9 290.

Is there any way to do a sanity check on how they held up to mining? All I'm doing right now is just overclocking them a bit and seeing if they make it through Heaven benchmark.

And is there a GUI program to view/edit the BIOS like there is for Nvidia?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Zero VGS posted:

Speaking of which... I have acquired another stack of cards from my unfortunate miner friend that I'll be reselling on the forums in a bit, this time R9 290.

Is there any way to do a sanity check on how they held up to mining? All I'm doing right now is just overclocking them a bit and seeing if they make it through Heaven benchmark.

And is there a GUI program to view/edit the BIOS like there is for Nvidia?

Run the fans at full speed with your utility of choice to make sure they work. Loop heaven on them for an hour or something.

How big of a yacht is your friend buying with his digital coins?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Don Lapre posted:

Run the fans at full speed with your utility of choice to make sure they work. Loop heaven on them for an hour or something.
How big of a yacht is your friend buying with his digital coins?

The best part is I paid him a thousand cash for the cards and he's using it to buy bitcoins. Up up up!

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Zero VGS posted:

Speaking of which... I have acquired another stack of cards from my unfortunate miner friend that I'll be reselling on the forums in a bit, this time R290.

When the time comes to actually list them, is there any way to let me know before the unwashed hordes? :D I check the forums mornings and night, but don't have 'net access during the day and many items are listed and sold before I'm even aware.

If not, no problem, I'll take my chances.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Done testing everything, go buy my poo poo: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647768

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
AnandTech did a deep dive of ARM's new unified-shader GPU architecture, Mali Midgard. It's a really cool, if wonkish, read. Something surprising and unique about the architecture: it does absolutely no thread-level parallelism. All execution units will run whatever threads are presented to it by software without trying any further multithreading. As a result, light workloads are not spread around for maximum execution speed, but rather will congregate on fewer execution units. And since each execution unit can be power-gated, this means power savings!

The uarch can also save memory bandwidth by automatically detecting screen tiles that have not updated and not sending redundant images. It's pretty cool.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Anyone know what these connectors are on the new FirePros?

Not the mDP but the power(?) connector. What's that for?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
For a second I thought that was S-Video and I got all excited to use my Commodore 64 monitor.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Shaocaholica posted:

Anyone know what these connectors are on the new FirePros?

Not the mDP but the power(?) connector. What's that for?

sdi

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Doesn't look like SDI and SDI is not listed in the specs.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 4, 2014

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
From AMD's website listing for the W9100:

quote:

AMD HD3D Pro support via stereoscopic 3-pin mini DIN

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

GokieKS posted:

Thanks, found it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_Stereo

Turns out its a VESA standard albeit one thats probably not useful for most people even in the workstation market.

I have a friend at Disney Imagineering who had to rig up 6(?) Nvidia GPUs to synchronously sync their stereo outputs across 6(?) machines. But that requires a master GPU but also a way to get the sync signal with low latency into the slave GPUs. I think they did it electrically as network + software + buses was too much latency to sync properly. I don't recall if the hardware was custom or not though.

edit: Oh I think this feature has been around for a while now with native support from Nvidia/AMD allowing framelock sync with an external signal thats fed directly from a master clock device to slave GPUs so you don't have to do it over the network through lots of software layers.

So with that out of the way, what the hell is this?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 4, 2014

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Apparently it's to connect to a synchronization card (up to 4 FirePros). From Tom's Review:

quote:

The top of the card doesn’t sport any CrossFire connectors; the Hawaii GPU employs a DMA engine that enables CrossFire support through the PCI Express bus. There is one header up there though, which is also present on the FirePro W9000, and it's used for connecting the FirePro S400 synchronization module.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

GokieKS posted:

Apparently it's to connect to a synchronization card (up to 4 FirePros). From Tom's Review:

Ah speak of the devil. Seems like a lot of pins for just sync.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
So recently I've noticed that my GPU has been running a lot hotter than usual. Before I was idling at around 37C but now it's above 50C. When I do any sort of gaming it's like 70-90C with full heat blasting in my face (the fans are back/top). The only major change I've done is gotten a 27" Ultrasharp and I'm now on 2560x1440 as opposed to 1920x1080.

I have a 570 GTX. Is it basically overworking itself trying to play games at that resolution at High settings?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

GokieKS posted:

ah I confused that for the "DirectGMA/SDI-LINK"

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Eddain posted:

So recently I've noticed that my GPU has been running a lot hotter than usual. Before I was idling at around 37C but now it's above 50C. When I do any sort of gaming it's like 70-90C with full heat blasting in my face (the fans are back/top). The only major change I've done is gotten a 27" Ultrasharp and I'm now on 2560x1440 as opposed to 1920x1080.

I have a 570 GTX. Is it basically overworking itself trying to play games at that resolution at High settings?

Those are acceptable temperatures. You can always brush/blow out the fans for improved ventaliation. Troubleshoot it! Run a game at 1920x1080 and see what happens.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

That looks hot. Literally. Really, really hot.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Does anyone want to trade 290x's with me? I have an MSI 290x gaming with the twin frozr cooler but I'd like a reference board so I can add it to my water cooling loop. It's a few weeks old and has not been used for mining nor has it been over clocked.

Send me a pm if you're interested and I'll start a thread in SA Mart so it's all documented and legit. I'd definitely prefer a card with a transferable warranty tat hasn't been mining 24/7. I'd also take a reference gtx780.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Eddain posted:

Like Jago said, might be a good time to take a look at the card to see if it's dusty and needs cleaning. Pull the shroud, blow out the fins on the heatsink, and take a clean soft bristle toothbrush to scrub any gunk/dust out of the fan itself. Also, do you have anything set up where you can set the fan at a certain percentage by default (e.g. EVGA Precision, MSI Afterburner)? I use Afterburner for my 670 FTW and keep the fan around 45% for regular use, then have a couple other profiles set up for gaming where I can push the fan higher and keep it constant, versus having it change based on temperature.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Do you have a link where to understand how to combine all those magic numbers related to each GPU specs that shows which is the real power of an architecture or a specific model within the same architecture? I'd like to understand stuff like "if the bus is 256-bit you can't have 3/6Gb vram but 2/4/8 only" or "Shaders * Tmu = Relevant Number Meaning Things" or if a certain gpu is able to process a certain amount of pixels like in a single monitor 4k or 2 at 1440p.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
loving aye 7750 low profiles are in demand. I thought I could snag this for under $100. Nope.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251577323008

This is what, $50 over retail over a year after it was discontinued?

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Ozz81 posted:

Like Jago said, might be a good time to take a look at the card to see if it's dusty and needs cleaning. Pull the shroud, blow out the fins on the heatsink, and take a clean soft bristle toothbrush to scrub any gunk/dust out of the fan itself. Also, do you have anything set up where you can set the fan at a certain percentage by default (e.g. EVGA Precision, MSI Afterburner)? I use Afterburner for my 670 FTW and keep the fan around 45% for regular use, then have a couple other profiles set up for gaming where I can push the fan higher and keep it constant, versus having it change based on temperature.

Man, I'm embarrassed to admit that not once in all my time dusting my tower did I ever think to remove the GPU and actually dust its fan. It was clogged like hell and so much came out. My idle temps are now almost 15C lower than before!

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Having a long-haired dog was *the worst* for stuff like that. Poor ol' GPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
The stock cooler on my HD 4850 was really awful about clogging up. It was a very low-profile heatsink with a small, high speed fan that was only mediocre at the best of times (it would idle around 70C...which was fine for that card but still). When the heatsink clogged I would have to take it apart and remove the quilted lint and dust that had woven itself around the little fins. When it was that bad you could crank then fan all you like, it just couldn't push the air through.

Then I got an Accelero S1 and it would idle at 40C with no fan at all so welp :v: