Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
It did became a cult

Goddamit Gaku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
I want to call this a "greater good" scenario but it's still intensely disturbing.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Honestly, I was expecting something creepier and more disturbing. And since I'm thinking that at a point where the main character's just - "just" - gone in for brainwashing and cult leadership, that only makes a point of how far over the moral horizon Gaku has skipped. But it is rather fun that Gaku just can't seem to do anything in a non-creepy way any more. She probably wasn't trying to make it a creepy cult. Or rather, she wouldn't realise that that was what she was doing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Gaku is now Yukari's "Friend".

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I like how the new Jaunt logo is not at all subtly referencing Gaku's powers and philosophical debates.

Given that Gaku's consciousness can go to infinite possible lives of her own and a rather large selection of other people too, pretty much anything we see from here on out won't be as over the top. I think the manga hit its peak of insanity when Gaku in another body stabbed a different Gaku , but I look forward to seeing how the heck this manga even has an ending when the protagonist has infinite routes to take and is basically a god.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Gaku is now Yukari's "Friend".

No more than Madoka was to Homura by the end.

e: I guess I am, because I didn't realize it was a reference.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 5, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You might be missing the reference. :v:

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

NowonSA posted:

I like how the new Jaunt logo is not at all subtly referencing Gaku's powers and philosophical debates.

Is that light paths on the left, and the different possibilities on the top right? What's the cat mean?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Schroedinger's cat, dude.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

ProfessorProf posted:

Schroedinger's cat, dude.

Oh yeah, that's obvious now. I was trying to imagine it as Yukari. Which I guess it could still be her as well as she is kind of the dead cat being observed.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
:siren::siren::siren: Next chapter is finished. :siren::siren::siren:

You can read it all here: http://imgur.com/a/SNFIP

People that have been following along can just jump to the last few pages.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Dr_Amazing posted:

Oh poo poo, somehow Alice knows something is up with Gaku. She must be using her math powers and figured something out. Funny I must have forgotten she was dyeing her hair, I always thought she was the typical Western girl in an anime character.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

This is interesting. I wonder what made Alice want to turn on Gaku like that? Other than Gaku being a manipulative, amoral cult leader, which could explain it on its own. It would be rather interesting if maybe Alice is doing the universe-hopping thing too and had been biding her time until now. What she did in that scene reminded me a little of some of the things Gaku has done, and little Alice in one of the other timelines evidently had reason to hate Gaku intensely, and it would make sense if there was somebody out there deliberately thwarting Gaku. What's also interesting is the way that Gaku smiled there...though maybe Gaku is just perpetually smug at this point on account of her power.

Going by the last pages of that chapter, Gaku even recognises herself that she's got a problem with nuance, but does she try to do anything about it? Nooo.

Thank you so much for translating this!

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Dr_Amazing posted:

Sweet tap-dancing Jesus Christ, this loving series. I can't thank you enough for translating this.

I don't think Alice has figured Gaku out. I think she's just aware that Gaku's been loving with her pretty much her entire life, and I get the feeling this may not even be the first time she's pulled a gun on Gaku. She's just too brainwashed to actually do anything. Though it would be really interesting if someone finally figured her out. Or hell, maybe Gaku needs Alice to figure her out for whatever mad plan she has.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Or hell, maybe Gaku needs Alice to figure her out for whatever mad plan she has.
:catholic: "So, I have a friend, right, who has attained limitless godlike power but can't seem to save this one highschool girl I met once. So what should uh, my friend do?"

EDIT: I think Gaku has Alice working on the mathematics of changing everyone's perspective. Alice has just twigged that solving that problem results in her God/Lover jettisoning her like a bad one night stand.

Squidster fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 5, 2014

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Of all the places to get cliffhanger'd on. :(

Is Gaku 'normal' here or does she still have her magic?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Think she discarded her magic when murdering Jaunt didn't work.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

How many chapters do we have left now?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Alice just drew a picture and she doesn't like it at all.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

How many chapters do we have left now?

3, and a bonus chapter that's mostly swimsuit-fanservice

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Tamba posted:

Why do I feel that said bonus chapter will actually have the most horrifying revelations of all?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Tamba posted:

chapter that's mostly swimsuit-fanservice

getting hype already

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tamba posted:

Because of course. :shepface:

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Tamba posted:

Well, if that's Gaku's will,

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Of all the crazy concepts that keep getting thrown at us, default Hatou Manabu is maybe my favorite. A wonderfully creepy idea that's maybe best left as a sidenote.

It could be that Gaku herself is a pawn, and some equally powerful entity (maybe Gaku herself) has been training her to realize her full potential through the ostensibly easy stint of saving a high school girl from dying. There's clearly some saboteur working directly against Gaku's interests, but it's unclear what/who it is yet, and the past chapter has made the concept of identity pretty arbitrary.

Read in a certain light, the whole story is a postmodern whodunnit intent on deconstructing who, dunn, and it.

snucks fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 5, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

AfroSquirrel posted:

Why do I feel that said bonus chapter will actually have the most horrifying revelations of all?

It will be revealed that apparently all Gaku needed to do to save Yukari was for some reason just go to the universe where everyone wears swimsuits all the time instead of normal clothes. This thought never occurred to her before because why would it?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Tamba posted:

I'd be okay with this if it's seen from Yukari's point of view

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.
Perhaps this is one of the universes in which magical girl Gaku tortured Alice's mother in front of her eyes and Alice became cold after figuring out who the murderer was.

Though the fact that she joined Jaunt normally suggests that Gaku did not interfere much with her childhood.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

snucks posted:

Of all the crazy concepts that keep getting thrown at us, default Hatou Manabu is maybe my favorite. A wonderfully creepy idea that's maybe best left as a sidenote.

It could be that Gaku herself is a pawn, and some equally powerful entity (maybe Gaku herself) has been training her to realize her full potential through the ostensibly easy stint of saving a high school girl from dying. There's clearly some saboteur working directly against Gaku's interests, but it's unclear what/who it is yet, and the past chapter has made the concept of identity pretty arbitrary.

Read in a certain light, the whole story is a postmodern whodunnit intent on deconstructing who, dunn, and it.

Given that she hasn't considered the impetus for all this in a long time, that could very well be.

She shouldn't be asking, "What am I doing wrong?" She should be asking, "Who called me that first night?"

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Mr. Fowl posted:

Given that she hasn't considered the impetus for all this in a long time, that could very well be.

She shouldn't be asking, "What am I doing wrong?" She should be asking, "Who called me that first night?"
But she immediately realized that she had called herself. It was just another part of the nascent Gaku hivemind.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Something's weird, if Gaku was able to become anyone because they were distantly related, and she was able to become Yukari's mother, why couldn't she become Yukari? I guess she really was a blue light special from Sears KMart.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Factor_VIII posted:

But she immediately realized that she had called herself. It was just another part of the nascent Gaku hivemind.

But she didn't experience what she did later, the fusion of memories and experience--the wavelength did not collapse. I still think it's a possibility that the original caller may be a force separate from the hivemind. While it is recognizable as Gaku, it may still be a representative of another force entirely, with different motives.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Mr. Fowl posted:

But she didn't experience what she did later, the fusion of memories and experience--the wavelength did not collapse. I still think it's a possibility that the original caller may be a force separate from the hivemind. While it is recognizable as Gaku, it may still be a representative of another force entirely, with different motives.
The memory sharing didn't start until after she had been talking to other versions of herself for a while. Early on she was having just regular conversations. I think that's the reason that she didn't get any memories from that self.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm prepping myself for a totally mindblowing ending. I want it to make sense, but still be nothing we would have ever thought of. Hopes are dangerously high on this one, don't let me down Gaku-sama!

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Personally, I think there's a possibility that (Dune series spoilers) Gaku is pulling an Emperor Leto. She certainly doesn't seem surprised, and maybe even happy that Alice has betrayed her. Gaku's goal isn't her continued existence, after all, but a world where the laws of reality are overwritten via humanity's observation to make Yukari's existence possible. If her death is necessary to achieve that, why wouldn't she do it? All she needs to do is jump to another person to watch the events unfold.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

nftyw posted:

Something's weird, if Gaku was able to become anyone because they were distantly related, and she was able to become Yukari's mother, why couldn't she become Yukari? I guess she really was a blue light special from Sears KMart.

My theory is due to at this point basing her entire being on saving Yukari, and how much she's objectifying Yukari, it's impossible for her to actually see Yukari as "herself".

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

My theory is due to at this point basing her entire being on saving Yukari, and how much she's objectifying Yukari, it's impossible for her to actually see Yukari as "herself".
I think it's likely that Gaku cannot possess her because Yukari is sui generis. Her robot vision and other abilities completely separate her from the rest of mankind and Gaku simply cannot connect to her.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Factor_VIII posted:

I think it's likely that Gaku cannot possess her because Yukari is sui generis. Her robot vision and other abilities completely separate her from the rest of mankind and Gaku simply cannot connect to her.

Now I'm wondering if this distinction holds true for every JAUNT's gifted kid. In all the realities Gaku has seen, was JAUNT's original goal mentioned anywhere?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!
I'm hoping that she needs to make a world in which everyone is really is a robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'm curious what the experiment was that killed Yukari as well.

• Locked thread