Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lycus posted:

That has never been true for me, I think everything dies much faster with the Mako.

It does. No one needs that extra xp either, it's just spergy nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I would agree, except that extra XP can potentially keeping you from doing another entire playthrough when you're 59 1/2 level.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
The only bad thing about how ME2 abilities handle shields/barriers/armor is that it causes Miranda to be pretty much the best character to bring with you since she has both warp and overload.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ME3 MP is the peak of the series gameplay.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

DarkHorse posted:

I would agree, except that extra XP can potentially keeping you from doing another entire playthrough when you're 59 1/2 level.

You don't have to do a full playthrough. I finished one at 59.8 or something. I just played till 60, got the achieve, and was happy with that.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Wasn't it the people who did the multiplayer that are making the next game too? Should be fun.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

2house2fly posted:

Wasn't it the people who did the multiplayer that are making the next game too? Should be fun.

Yeah. Maybe not from a writing perspective, but they seem to know how to make a good combat system.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

ME2 on insanity is probably the sweet spot for me difficulty wise in the whole series. I did something like 20 or so insanity runs before ME3 came out and then was a little saddened that it offered virtually no challenge, but then again i went straight in on insanity with a sentinel, which really is just overequipped for ME3.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Yeah. Maybe not from a writing perspective, but they seem to know how to make a good combat system.

I'm pretty sure Bioware still built the combat mechanics and the multiplayer studio, Bioware Montreal, only really adapted it for the more focused multiplayer classes. That's not to say they didn't do their own work of course, the multiplayer exclusive characters and their unique abilities, but it doesn't really say much about their ability to craft an entire game's worth of mechanics. They could make something better or worse or exactly the same as far as I can tell as this point.

sassassin posted:

Wait half a second till your bullets take that shred of shield away then you dope. God forbid enemies put up a fight.

Staggering enemies was useful and fun.

It was useful but wasn't fun in the least. There's a reason why Vanguard has the most fun of all the ME2 classes; it's unique and most powerful ability is the most active out of all the classes and, if you want to get the most out of it, forces the player to leave cover instead of playing whack-(and stagger-)a-mole with guns and magic . In ME2 a fully upgraded Singularity has the exact same effect as a level 1 Push if the enemy you're using it on has any barriers/shields/armor left. That is the boring part.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Having an enemy be completely immobile and suspended in air is basically a death sentence regardless of the amount of health it has. That's why having multiple layers protecting enemies from biotic attacks is important, otherwise everything would devolve into ME1 levels of just spamming disabling attacks over and over again.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I never used powers when they weren't most effective and never had a resulting problem because of it. That's why you get the right squad members to get some synergy going in powers to bring the various barriers down. That the powers disabling the enemy should be rarely effective makes lots of sense else most enemies would hardly ever get a shot out with a competent player. Something that powerful should always be that special option that gives you the edge and not something you just spam over and over until everyone is dead. It worked that way in ME1 and quite honestly just wasn't that much fun because it removed all challenge from the game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Having an enemy be completely immobile and suspended in air is basically a death sentence regardless of the amount of health it has. That's why having multiple layers protecting enemies from biotic attacks is important, otherwise everything would devolve into ME1 levels of just spamming disabling attacks over and over again.

I agree with the principle but I think ME2 took it too far in a simplified direction, much like nearly every other gameplay mechanic when compared to ME1. There needed to be some difference between what barriers/shields/armor did to different attacks, rather than just the damage the few defence-specific attacks did. Like you can't Lift/Push an enemy with armor because it weighs them down or something (I know that sounds stupid) or barrier because biotics protects from biotics but an enemy with just a shield can be lifted because shields stops bullets and not biotics.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

You don't have to do a full playthrough. I finished one at 59.8 or something. I just played till 60, got the achieve, and was happy with that.
You do if you're an obsessive completionist like me and can't stand to leave a game partially finished. :negative:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There was already silly stuff in ME2 like being able to keep individual extremely threatening enemies distracted forever because of the incredibly short cooldown on the Combat Drone.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Well, at level 60 you absolutely roll the game.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

DarkHorse posted:

You do if you're an obsessive completionist like me and can't stand to leave a game partially finished. :negative:
So in other words...

sassassin posted:

it's just spergy nonsense.

:cheeky:

But seriously, I consider myself a completionist in that I like to do all the quests and talk to all the NPCs in games. This is specifically more like grinding and stat-maxing. I'm definitely not a grinder and a stat-maxer, I hate that stuff.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 7, 2014

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
The only real way to kill people with the Mako is ramming it into them at an angle so that they slide over the ground to an mountain and get catapulted into orbit.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Police Automaton posted:

The only real way to kill people with the Mako is ramming it into them at an angle so that they slide over the ground to an mountain and get catapulted into orbit.
Yeah that made ME1 insanity armatures and colossi bearable. Smash into them full speed, fire rocket into face, repeat. On Therum I kept launching them into the lava where they would instantly explode.

I finished up another ME2 run today and started into ME3. It's good to have rolling back. And novaguarding. Maybe it does trivialize everything but it's just so goddamn fun to launch into a pack of mooks and explode all of them.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

You do get a better import bonus with a level 60 character than a level 59 character is another reason some people play to level 60. Granted overall it doesn't save that much time if you have to play another playthrough, but if you just have to get out of your mako every now and then then it may be worth it in the long run.

Granted I'm not the best person to ask as I have 4 level 60 Shepards and played Mass Effect 1 enough that I know how to beat the game only doing 4 or 5 elevator rides on the Citadel.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It's not time-worth it, it's just being a stat-maxer. That's all.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

Unclouded posted:

You do get a better import bonus with a level 60 character than a level 59 character is another reason some people play to level 60. Granted overall it doesn't save that much time if you have to play another playthrough, but if you just have to get out of your mako every now and then then it may be worth it in the long run.

Granted I'm not the best person to ask as I have 4 level 60 Shepards and played Mass Effect 1 enough that I know how to beat the game only doing 4 or 5 elevator rides on the Citadel.

Replaying ME1 twice on PC to get to level 60 is totally unnecessary when you can use the drop-down console to give yourself max EXP the first run. It's really a waste of time to replay the whole game again just for a few extra levels to import into ME2.

For import bonuses you can just use the ME2 save editor. Seriously, you people are doing it the needlessly hard way.

I also reckon combat in ME1 is much more enjoyable if you approach it realistically, like staying in the Mako, always ordering your squad out in front and directing their fire, using tactics instead of running & gunning, etc. When I replayed ME1 recently, I used the PC console to just max everything out on the Normandy at the start and gave myself all the best gear using the Wiki guide here: http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/PC_Cheats

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
Running and gunning in ME1 and ME3 owns, cowering behind cover 90% of the time like in ME2 sucks.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fag Boy Jim posted:

ME3 MP is the peak of the series gameplay.

Peak power spam.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
ME2 is also about spamming powers, just at a glacial pace.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
What does the word peak mean?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dan Didio posted:

What does the word peak mean?

Research facility in the Skadi Mountains

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I'd like to go there.

etjester
Jul 14, 2008

[insert text here]
The roads aren't suitable for travel.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Unclouded posted:

Easier just to cheat whatever resources you need with the save game editor, gently caress planet scanning.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Instead of being dirty cheats, just don't buy upgrades.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

sassassin posted:

I'm not good enough at video games to play it on super-insanity.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lycus posted:

I'm not good enough at video games to play it on super-insanity.

Don't upgrade the ship and you can afford plenty of baby-mode weapon-buffs.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

psyman posted:

Replaying ME1 twice on PC to get to level 60 is totally unnecessary when you can use the drop-down console to give yourself max EXP the first run. It's really a waste of time to replay the whole game again just for a few extra levels to import into ME2.

For import bonuses you can just use the ME2 save editor. Seriously, you people are doing it the needlessly hard way.

I also reckon combat in ME1 is much more enjoyable if you approach it realistically, like staying in the Mako, always ordering your squad out in front and directing their fire, using tactics instead of running & gunning, etc. When I replayed ME1 recently, I used the PC console to just max everything out on the Normandy at the start and gave myself all the best gear using the Wiki guide here: http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/PC_Cheats

Smol posted:

Easier just to cheat whatever resources you need with the save game editor, gently caress planet scanning.

This is all nice and good except I played the games on the Xbox 360. Also when I played through ME1 those times I don't think they had fixed it to work on the 360.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm enjoying all this ME2 combat hate.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

sassassin posted:

This comes with bonus Jack death action.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm enjoying all this ME2 combat hate.

You can legitimately stun-lock just about every enemy in the game with Kasumi's flashbang grenade. Not really well balanced.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

El Mido posted:

Running and gunning in ME1 and ME3 owns, cowering behind cover 90% of the time like in ME2 sucks.
Looks like I have to un-retire my standard ME2 thread response:

That said, yeah. ME2 was the worst about "looks like a combat area with all these convenient waist high objects"

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Question, I'm going through the Citadel DLC for maximum hilarity and enjoyment on the PS3, and I found that the Combat Simulator was running like holy buggy hell. I couldn't go five seconds without it slowing down to load, and it was even more annoying because I'd spent most of the day playing MP, which should be essentially the same thing. Is this a problem with the Armax Arena in general, the PS3 version, or just my PS3?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I don't remember having any problems with the arena when I played it on the PS3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I just started the Citadel DLC. Initial impression is "Goddamn, I want an apartment exactly like Anderson's."

I'm unimaginative, probably.

• Locked thread