Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I also ran into a confusing situation where a Cloaker was hiding or stuck behind a potted plant on the final mission of Framing Frame. Like I know it was a cloaker since it had the goggles and my guy yelled out that the cloaker was down after I killed it.
It was just so bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Testekill posted:

I also ran into a confusing situation where a Cloaker was hiding behind a potted plant on the final mission of Framing Frame. Like I know it was a cloaker since it had the goggles and my guy yelled out that the cloaker was down after I killed it.
It was just so bizarre.

At least one of the two Cloakers will tend to do that sometimes. They insist on hiding behind really obvious cover and then presumably tittering like schoolgirls thinking that you can't see them. The ones that do this tend to never actually engage you.

They're also the ones who literally just crouch-walk around in the open, in plain view, and maybe lazily take a pot shot at you with their little guns.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
When you guys talk about farming kills with X gun or whatever, are you just doing achievements or is there some other reason to do that?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Most of them are achievements, some of which unlock weapon mod parts.

like I spent a lot of time with an R93 going up and down a zipline on Big Bank to get the Theia. Theia on the Thanatos is a huge difference from the default scope. Major reduction in bullshit misses. Auto-spotting specials when I'm using a gun specifically best at special-elimination is just so great.

yes I could've done this on a mission where the ziplines are closer to the ground (regular Bank vantage point) but whatever :c00l:

Psion fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 8, 2014

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Praseodymi posted:

So what are the magic numbers for damage in this, mainly for overkill? I've heard 50 thrown around the most, I think?

Check the shots to kill damage spreadsheet linked in the OP!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Get your old hox soundboard here. I doubt the Prison Break is anything but the last of the hopefully first wave of Dentist jobs, but I like seeing them keep it in the heisters minds.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Psion posted:

Most of them are achievements, some of which unlock weapon mod parts.

like I spent a lot of time with an R93 going up and down a zipline on Big Bank to get the Theia. Theia on the Thanatos is a huge difference from the default scope. Major reduction in bullshit misses. Auto-spotting specials when I'm using a gun specifically best at special-elimination is just so great.

yes I could've done this on a mission where the ziplines are closer to the ground (regular Bank vantage point) but whatever :c00l:

The Big Bank zipline is where real men learn to zipline headshot snipers from 2 blocks away.
Suffice to say it took a good while...

Didn't help that my AI teammates kept murdering the easy targets on the roof!

The scope itself is absolutely fantastic though. I've never even fired the Thanatos with the default scope.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'm at the point now (level 70?) where it feels like the only things that actually give me progress are shadow raid or big bank. :smith:

I guess I just gotta wait for something else to get bonuses. And I do like Shadow Raid. And I need to run Big Bank with some goons and do it right.

But I'm hitting that point of the curve you guys were talking about, and drat it hurts to keep getting 1% of a level's worth of experience for a perfect job, even on overkill. :suicide: Even with a bonus, that's just gonna turn 1% into 2% or something. Bleh. And I'm not 80 yet so I can't host death wish, although I guess I could join up with some goons to do it, but I'm still enjoying overkill. I just wish the rewards didn't drop off so massively.

On the other hand I have most of the mods and skills I really want now.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm at the point now (level 70?) where it feels like the only things that actually give me progress are shadow raid or big bank. :smith:

I guess I just gotta wait for something else to get bonuses. And I do like Shadow Raid. And I need to run Big Bank with some goons and do it right.

But I'm hitting that point of the curve you guys were talking about, and drat it hurts to keep getting 1% of a level's worth of experience for a perfect job, even on overkill. :suicide: Even with a bonus, that's just gonna turn 1% into 2% or something. Bleh. And I'm not 80 yet so I can't host death wish, although I guess I could join up with some goons to do it, but I'm still enjoying overkill. I just wish the rewards didn't drop off so massively.

On the other hand I have most of the mods and skills I really want now.

There's a reason that people do a stealth Diamond Heist on normal (30% xp bonus for a really easy stealth, just get the minimum number of bags) and then run Pro Overkill Firestarter or Rats; it's just about the best way to see a huge chunk of XP; you'll see around 600-700k if I'm remembering right. But, yeah, it's still grindy as gently caress.

edit: Pretty sure Rats and Firestarter have pro variants...

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
They do. Watchdogs does as well, which also gives a fair bit of XP compared to what you would normally expect. Basically Hector is the best contact in the game right now.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Watchdogs is also boring as all hell though. It's the map I enjoy the least personally.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I feel like I should run Shadow Raid at some point. who's up for that tonight? unless there's a Big Oil Redux run or something.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Watchdogs is also boring as all hell though. It's the map I enjoy the least personally.

really? I like it. It's short, simple shootymans. Great palate cleanser after a successful and/or failed stealth run. I think it's the best step up for newbies used to one-day jobs, like here, learn how two-day jobs work with Watchdogs.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

It's straight bagferrying at its purest, and that's kinda dull. I much prefer loud firestarter, since there's some variety in what you're doing.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Put as much wood on my AK 7.62 as possible without taking a stats hit. Came out quite nice.

I love Watchdogs, and all of Hector's jobs because they're almost entirely loud. It does have the least variety of all the multi-day jobs though.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Drewjitsu posted:

As the pre eminent masterforcer here (:v:), I can confirm that I have aced endurance, and will continue to do so until I get seduced by techforcing (probably never, aced inspire is so goddamn good).

With regards to your build, a few suggestions:

Technician tree: aced nerves of steel, and basic Sharpshooter (the left skill on the first tier) instead. The extra zoom is useless and being able to ADS in bleedout (especially with a sniper rifle) is I'd more marginal utility.

I'll get you a build when the skill planner site comes back up, or the next time we shoot cop.

Well, here's a question: how essential is the tech tree headshot bonus for a thanny/r93 in the long run? Because if it isn't, then that frees up a few points.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Ah yes, the dullness of moving a dozen bags across hell and gone while under fire. Unlike all those thrill-a-minute stealth runs.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

DoombatINC posted:

Ah yes, the dullness of moving a dozen bags across hell and gone while under fire. Unlike all those thrill-a-minute stealth runs.

Hey now nothing screams excitement like putting down an ECM jammer, securing the entire bank in 15 seconds then sitting on your loving rear end for 5 minutes waiting for the vault to open.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
So what is the final verdict on the new DLC, yay or nay?

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Wait for a sale; you don't need 000 buckshot or a mandrill mask that badly.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

maswastaken posted:

Wait for a sale; you don't need 000 buckshot or a mandrill mask that badly.

The gently caress you say.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Psion posted:

I feel like I should run Shadow Raid at some point. who's up for that tonight? unless there's a Big Oil Redux run or something.
I'm down for either tonight, though Tuesdays are a day I tend to be really busy. If you see me showing online any time after 8pm CST I'll be good though.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Philosopher King posted:

So what is the final verdict on the new DLC, yay or nay?

The masks are the best part. The ammo types stink except 000 buck which is free anyway because it's a community item. The M1014 and Streetsweeper are decent alternatives to the IZHMA but the IZHMA is still the best of the three. The Raven is basically a reskin of the Reinfeld except if you put every possible damage option on it it's like a cut-down pump action Mosconi with more ammo.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Psion posted:

I'm down. What time?

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 8, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Darwinism posted:

There's a reason that people do a stealth Diamond Heist on normal (30% xp bonus for a really easy stealth, just get the minimum number of bags) and then run Pro Overkill Firestarter or Rats; it's just about the best way to see a huge chunk of XP; you'll see around 600-700k if I'm remembering right. But, yeah, it's still grindy as gently caress.

I've been doing Diamond Heist + Firestarter/Rats/Watchdogs, that's how I got to 70. I like that, but now it seems I get very, very little experience for it.

Guess I gotta start doing Pro Jobs, yeah.

Psion posted:

I'm down like a clown, Charlie Brown.

Bolow posted:

Hey now nothing screams excitement like putting down an ECM jammer, securing the entire bank in 15 seconds then sitting on your loving rear end for 5 minutes waiting for the vault to open.

I unironically love doing this though :smith:

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

DoombatINC posted:

Don't do anything but shadow raid in stealth.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Zaphod42 posted:

I've been doing Diamond Heist + Firestarter/Rats/Watchdogs, that's how I got to 70. I like that, but now it seems I get very, very little experience for it.

Guess I gotta start doing Pro Jobs, yeah.

Are you doing just those jobs? Because the game's going to penalize you for doing the same stuff over and over. Do a few short one day jobs, or anything besides the Hector ones and then go for a big XP run.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

UnknownMercenary posted:

Are you doing just those jobs? Because the game's going to penalize you for doing the same stuff over and over. Do a few short one day jobs, or anything besides the Hector ones and then go for a big XP run.

I know how the system works, I've been mixing it up. That's my complaint, up till now mixing it up and doing those two have netted me huge XP. But I'm sitting here with Firestarter with no negative XP penalty, and its still gonna give me like 1% projected XP for overkill. +30% XP bonus ain't doing fuckall to that.

Does the estimated XP only show for like 1 day of a 3-day mission or something? I guess I could just run another one and see if it comes out okay.

Again, I probably need to do more Pro Jobs now, is the thing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Darwinism posted:

93 and finally getting tired of the grind. I just want to get Joker and get those difficulty masks before I go Infamy.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

UnknownMercenary posted:

Put as much wood on my AK 7.62 as possible without taking a stats hit. Came out quite nice.

Overkill, why does the AK family not have a classic wooden stock available? Atleast they finally got the AK reload animation nailed down.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Zaphod42 posted:

I know how the system works, I've been mixing it up. That's my complaint, up till now mixing it up and doing those two have netted me huge XP. But I'm sitting here with Firestarter with no negative XP penalty, and its still gonna give me like 1% projected XP for overkill. +30% XP bonus ain't doing fuckall to that.

Does the estimated XP only show for like 1 day of a 3-day mission or something? I guess I could just run another one and see if it comes out okay.

That's, um. At level 77, Firestarter non-Pro Overkill here is showing 11,558+115,575 = 30% level while currently at around 5% experience into the level. :raise: Like, it does show 3%, until it throws in the bonuses from the Risk Bonus/Difficulty. Pro Firestarter OK cranks it up to 28,377+283,763 for 74% of a level, so it's definitely a big boost, but you still shouldn't be getting nothing from non-Pro jobs..

And no, it shows the entire job's experience gain for estimated XP.

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 8, 2014

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Zaphod42 posted:

Are you buying the contracts to host, or getting them as they pop up on Crime.net? They don't get any bonus XP beyond the stealth bonus if you're buying them. You're not at the point yet where the regular versions of those jobs should be insufficient, but pro versions with stealth bonuses will be netting like 600k at least.

Dezztroy posted:

Overkill, why does the AK family not have a classic wooden stock available? Atleast they finally got the AK reload animation nailed down.

They grouped the IZHMA with the AK family for changing the animations but still don't let us put the AK quadstack on it. :mad:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

-Zydeco- posted:

I'm down. What time?

hm, probably 5 pacific/8 eastern? Maybe a little later depending on when I get out of work. I'm notpsion on steam, I'll be in the group chat/mumble.

Thank You Card
Mar 20, 2007

I'm your only friend.

Dezztroy posted:

They even have wooden stocks on the AKs you see in the baggable weapon containers. :negative:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So we know when shotgun dropoff starts and when it finishes, do we know when if it's a linear dropoff or if it's exponential decay or what?

UnknownMercenary posted:

They grouped the IZHMA with the AK family for changing the animations but still don't let us put the AK quadstack on it. :mad:

Who cares we all want the saiga drum.

PantsOptional posted:

The gently caress you say.

The monkey one is loving amazing too. My lil bro said the oranguatan looks like a hosed-up sex doll.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bootcha posted:

Well, here's a question: how essential is the tech tree headshot bonus for a thanny/r93 in the long run? Because if it isn't, then that frees up a few points.

Zero. None. Tans will die from a body hit and any non-dozer special die from HS.

The Raven is a little bit more than a reskin of the Reinfeld. It's superior due to it's larger magazine(18!), higher damage without loading 000buck breaking 100 damage with shotgun impact allowing you to HS tans which means it has a much greater effective ammo efficiency and pool which means if you run it and Streetsweeper, you will have near unlimited ammo. Also it is the only primary shotgun that you can bring with a high concealment and not be terrible if it goes loud. Raven + cut MP5K gets you to 6 concealment.

However, if you're playing a serious loud mission, you should be bringing a SAW rather than any Shotgun as it has better pretty much anything other ammo pickup. Run it with Streetsweeper and you will pick up enough ammo to feed the KSP if you have Fully Loaded aced.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

You're not breaking 100 damage on the Raven with the long barrel and shark teeth unless you have a special ammo type. It still caps at 98 with Enforcer skills, the same as the Reinfeld.

I'm getting 105 with the short barrel but that means having to deal with 2 accuracy and a capacity of 10 instead of 14 or 18.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I find the Raven to be worse than the Reinfeld. Less ammo, pitiful accuracy and an awful pump animation that makes follow-up shots a pain. The concealment is nice though, I guess.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

UnknownMercenary posted:

Are you buying the contracts to host, or getting them as they pop up on Crime.net? They don't get any bonus XP beyond the stealth bonus if you're buying them. You're not at the point yet where the regular versions of those jobs should be insufficient, but pro versions with stealth bonuses will be netting like 600k at least.

Wait, are you sure that's true? I thought if someone buys a contract, then only the host wouldn't get a heat bonus but others would. Think about it: if you're browsing Crime.net it's not like you see the same heist with and without heat bonuses showing up, do you? I'm level 100 and am trying to level up my friends, so I typically buy a Diamond Store contract on Normal to stealth before buying whichever contract they have +++ bonuses on. I then ask "what experience does it say you'll get?" and they usually say "[base XP for contract] +30% in blue and then a second +50%." Turns out that even with those sorts of bonuses the amount of XP you get for a transport mission or Go Bank is miniscule, so we usually run Rats or Firestarter once they're at ++ bonus.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Double checked, sneaky overkill nerfed the Raven since I last used it. I clearly remember the Damage breaking 100 with default 00buck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

During the day itself, you see that day only. On the crime.net screen, it's all of them.

If you're seeing 1% for Overkill Firestarter, I'd love to see that myself because there's no way something's isn't amiss. Overkill Firestarter is 10050 + 100500 unmodified, which is 10% even at level 99.

Zaphod42 posted:

If you can do the non-Pro ones regularly without wiping than there's no good reason not to.

• Locked thread