Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illessa
Aug 31, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Crazy turn based shmup:
Mighty Tactical Shooter
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/themightygit/mighty-tactical-shooter-a-turn-based-shoot-em-up

All the projected trajectories are really complex and you can plan how your missiles should and stuff. Looks fun.

If Frozen Synapse crossed with a shmup sounds remotely interesting, I really recommend the demo. I played it at Rezzed and the UI is a little poorly explained, but once I got my head round it I had a lot of fun despite not being particularly into shmups or tactics. In particular, the interactions with gravity weapons let you do some crazy things, and the realtime playbacks make you feel pretty baddass.

And the devs seemed cool. Friendly, good at teasing specific feedback out of players, and very hard working (they were simultaneously exhibiting and participating in the game jam, and still found time to do some overnight tweaking of the demo level from first-day feedback).

Illessa fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jul 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Crazy turn based shmup:
Mighty Tactical Shooter
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/themightygit/mighty-tactical-shooter-a-turn-based-shoot-em-up

All the projected trajectories are really complex and you can plan how your missiles should and stuff. Looks fun.

This looks incredible. I'm a sucker for turn-based anything, but this concept actually seems really cool. Can't wait to try out the demo.

I kind of wish they went for their own artstyle rather than copping the Gradius look... although, annoyingly, they'd probably get less press & funding if the artstyle was original, because then it wouldn't lend itself to articles with the easy to write / absorb headline "TURN BASED GRADIUS!"

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 3, 2014

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Insomnia the Hey-It's-Fallout-But-RTwP-and-Coop just posted a playable tech demo. It's decent, for a tech demo. The art and sound direction are really cool and the mechanics seem like they could be fun. I really hope this game makes it.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 3, 2014

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Megazver posted:

Insomnia the Hey-It's-Fallout-But-RTwP-and-Coop just posted a playable tech demo. It's decent, for a tech demo. The art and sound direction are really cool and the mechanics seem like they could be fun. I really hope this game makes it.

"The atmosphere is chilling. Cold rusty metal and memories of gun battles and blood.. THROW IN SOME TIME TRAVEL"

Other than that the game looks cool, I hope it makes it.

edit: Damnit I'm a sucker for isometric RPGs! I backed it for one of the earlybird slots.

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 4, 2014

Artwood
Nov 10, 2012
Grapple Force Rena

My bro started this on the 30th of June - it plays like a Genesis/Mega Drive-era platformer centering around grapple mechanics. It's a browser-based game, but as a "serialized action game" it plays like a webcomic, each level on its own page and new levels coming out every other week. Backers and subscribers also get a DRM-free downloadable version of the game to play at their leisure. It's moving along at a pretty good pace, already at 3/7 of its goal in its first week, but I'd like to get it as much exposure as I can!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Artwood posted:

Grapple Force Rena

My bro started this on the 30th of June - it plays like a Genesis/Mega Drive-era platformer centering around grapple mechanics. It's a browser-based game, but as a "serialized action game" it plays like a webcomic, each level on its own page and new levels coming out every other week. Backers and subscribers also get a DRM-free downloadable version of the game to play at their leisure. It's moving along at a pretty good pace, already at 3/7 of its goal in its first week, but I'd like to get it as much exposure as I can!

This is good.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
What a great video. Holy poo poo. Hope it isn't lost on people born after the year 1998 though.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Artwood posted:

Grapple Force Rena

That intro video was adorable. It's not really my thing, but I wish you all the luck.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Since somebody asked last week: The new Catacomb Kids build is out.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fourbitfriday/catacomb-kids-a-very-roguelike-platformer/posts

Here's a pastebin of the changelog: http://pastebin.com/UJ1eTArS

e: Haha the portal spell lets you put portals on any two walls/floors and you can throw/shoot stuff through it. This rules. I killed like 6 enemies just by creating portals to redirect magic missiles in to them.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jul 7, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Artwood posted:

Grapple Force Rena

80s style video got my curiosity, platformer game built around using worms' ninja-rope has my attention. Pretty cool!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Zaphod42 posted:

80s style video got my curiosity, platformer game built around using worms' ninja-rope has my attention. Pretty cool!

The game does not control literally the exact same as Worms 2's ninja rope therefore it is poo poo.

Just kidding, I'm in. It's like Ristar mixed with Bionic Commando and that's cool. The control scheme is a little awkward though, I can't help but think it'd be much better played on a controller.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

You can play using a 360 controller in Chrome.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Played Sunless Sea a few times before (which is now on steam early access!) for brief stints, saw what it was (Fallen London + Ships) and went "cool", but didn't have time for more.

Finally set down to play for a good 30 minutes over the weekend, ended up playing for several hours without pause. drat is that game tense. :stare: We were out of supplies and fuel, and baaaaaarely made it back to London. Then we resupplied, but were completely out of money. Then we were out of food, fuel, and money. Uh-oh. Got lucky and killed wounded a gigantic sea horror (:stonk: wow) and got some diamond I sold for tons of scratch, now I'm back on my feet and feeling more confident sailing further out. Decided I wanted to see how big the map was, sailed North until I was dangerously low on supplies and found the northern border. Just barely made it back to London by the skin of my teeth, with 2 crew, 0 fuel, and catching zee-bats for food and burning their corpses for fuel. :unsmigghh: It was at this point that I finally lost control of my terror, which I had managed to keep under 50 so far, but no longer. Easily hit 100 traveling through dark waters with low crew, and started having crazy visions and nightmare occurrences.

I keep feeling like if I could just figure something out, I could probably get this thing and that thing and break the game. But... so far it hasn't happened. Maybe I got lucky (or unlucky) but its been very well balanced where I'm constantly on the brink of failure and bankruptcy and death, but I keep hanging on, which is perfect. I keep feeling like I'm going to accomplish a great deal, bu then there's always some sacrifices to be made. Two steps forward, one step back.

Its not really so much a game, as it is a game-book, interactive fiction, like the old choose your own adventure or lone wolf books, but with just a little bit more game added to it with the interactive ship command and battles, and plus the computer tracks all your stats for you and your quests and items and stuff like that.

Overall very fantastic, and there's still more game coming. The tone and atmosphere are just pitch perfect. Lovecraft would approve.

Not mentioned: Island of she-vampires, mud-men pirates, undead plague colony, and more fantastic oddities. I also really like how this game doesn't explain anything to you; it is very much a mystery that you're slowly unraveling. What is going on down here?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 7, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I put up a basic Sunless Sea guide on Steam that should give people some starting tips and help through that first rough patch (check in the community hub under "Guides," it's the only one). It's still a work-in-progress and I need to refine some parts, esp. the combat section, but it'll tell you how to avoid the really obvious mistakes while you get started.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sunless Sea is one of my favourite games to come out of Kickstarter, and I'm so bummed I chose not to back it. When that game is content-complete it's going to be incredible.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I put up a basic Sunless Sea guide on Steam that should give people some starting tips and help through that first rough patch (check in the community hub under "Guides," it's the only one). It's still a work-in-progress and I need to refine some parts, esp. the combat section, but it'll tell you how to avoid the really obvious mistakes while you get started.

Did you include notes on flensing and torpedoes?

I have a full crew of officers now and have been pimping my steel and mirrors, that combined with a flensing turret has made me an unstoppable god of death. :black101:

Still having trouble managing all my resources, but I've explored pretty far out and I'm feeling far more confident.

How far have you gone?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It must be disheartening for people with real and legitimate game ideas get less money on their kickstarter than potato salad.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Kirios posted:

It must be disheartening for people with real and legitimate game ideas get less money on their kickstarter than potato salad.

It's given me more entertainment than most Kickstarter Video Games.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zaphod42 posted:

Did you include notes on flensing and torpedoes?

I have a full crew of officers now and have been pimping my steel and mirrors, that combined with a flensing turret has made me an unstoppable god of death. :black101:

Still having trouble managing all my resources, but I've explored pretty far out and I'm feeling far more confident.

How far have you gone?

I haven't really used torpedoes because harpoons really take care of everything. If you follow the guide as written (available here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/304650/guides/ ) you should be able to have pages, veils, mirrors, and iron at 50 base, plus a +40 bonus to Iron from gear and whatever your officer bonuses are, by the time you increment Time the Healer over 200. Following it that slavishly might get a little boring though, and there are ways to optimize & improve past those numbers if you want to. It's not a perfectly optimized guide so much as a general list of reasonable effective strategies.

I think at this point I've done most of the current content, with the exception of consistent lorn-fluke hunting and the top end ships, but I've been playing for a while now as a kickstarter backer.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

The game does not control literally the exact same as Worms 2's ninja rope therefore it is poo poo.
Kinda surprised nobody mentioned Umihara Kawase, which it does have some striking similarity to. The creator seems to have come by the mechanic independently, though, and there are some differences, like throwing the enemies into each other.

Illessa
Aug 31, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I haven't really used torpedoes because harpoons really take care of everything. If you follow the guide as written (available here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/304650/guides/ ) you should be able to have pages, veils, mirrors, and iron at 50 base, plus a +40 bonus to Iron from gear and whatever your officer bonuses are, by the time you increment Time the Healer over 200. Following it that slavishly might get a little boring though, and there are ways to optimize & improve past those numbers if you want to. It's not a perfectly optimized guide so much as a general list of reasonable effective strategies.

I think at this point I've done most of the current content, with the exception of consistent lorn-fluke hunting and the top end ships, but I've been playing for a while now as a kickstarter backer.

That's really useful! I played it a bit on the first couple of days of the $50+ alpha, but there was so little content that I just got stuck in the northern trade loop and now it's kind of a very unprofitable habit :(.

On the topic of long-Kickstarted games, I got the chance to play Night In The Woods E3 demo at the weekend and holy poo poo; It's funny, dark, charming as hell, and just generally exactly what I hoped it would be. So excited for it to come out next year.

Also chatted to Alec Holowka and he mentioned that some students visited his house and the project they were doing at the time was designing a Kickstarter campaign. Not a Kickstarter for any particular game they were developing, just one for whatever concept they could pluck out of the air. Interesting that schools are picking up on the crowdfunding thing, and god knows marketing is an essential skill for those that are planning to go the indie route, but doing it that way seems... both far too specific and weirdly cynical?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Has anyone else played Monsters Ate My Birthday Cake yet? I just started messing about with it last night and it's a very fun, very cute puzzle game. Pretty happy about this one.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So everyone agrees the new mighty no 9 campaign is gross and stupid right

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

It sounds like it's just another form of early access/preorder now.

I haven't really followed up much, but they're taking the kickstarter route instead of the early access on steam route, no? Doesn't seem like it's that big a deal, except for maybe not making as much had they had Steam exposure.

What's your problem with it?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Because it's not just a preorder thing, they have new stretch goals and funding goals to hit to add arbitrary things that apparently they couldn't pay for with their 3 and a half million dollars

If it was just a pre-order deal, then whatever but the new funding goals screams of secondary kickstarter which is scummy as gently caress

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Because it's not just a preorder thing, they have new stretch goals and funding goals to hit to add arbitrary things that apparently they couldn't pay for with their 3 and a half million dollars

If it was just a pre-order deal, then whatever but the new funding goals screams of secondary kickstarter which is scummy as gently caress

So the game's coming out, but they want to get funding to improve it even more before release?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I'm not seeing the problem with it. As far as I'm aware the game's still coming out with what was promised in the Kickstarter, this isn't changing that at all. And if people pledging now means that the game I pledged for previously has more polish than I expected, I have no problem with that.

Now, if it somehow turns out that they've actually squandered all of their money (which I highly doubt) and they need more to finish the game, then yes, I'll agree that this is scummy.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Drifter posted:

So the game's coming out, but they want to get funding to improve it even more before release?

My what an incredibly generous way to chacterize that, how about this way more accurate way:

They made a ludicrous amount of money more than they wanted or needed and are now greedily grabbing for more with both hands by launching a second "kickstarter" with no middleman

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Why?

They aren't dishonouring backer rewards for the last kickstarter, they're just making a drive for new backers and putting some goal posts on it. Doing what you can to raise more cash is a responsible thing to do to ensure project delivery, so why not do it if they can. Provided they don't take the money and run, which they clearly aren't, the same kick starter rule of thumb apply. Do they look like they can deliver? And do you like what they're making? If yes, back it, if not, who cares.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Maluco Marinero posted:

Why?

They aren't dishonouring backer rewards for the last kickstarter, they're just making a drive for new backers and putting some goal posts on it. Doing what you can to raise more cash is a responsible thing to do to ensure project delivery, so why not do it if they can. Provided they don't take the money and run, which they clearly aren't, the same kick starter rules apply. Do they look like they can deliver? And do you like what they're making? If yes, back it, if not, who cares.

They've literally already done that, the original "goal" was for 100k for English va, which in and of itself seems incredibly unnecessary for a megaman game, then removed that and replaced it with 200k for English and Japanese va

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

I've only skimmed the news (and am not a backer) but it seems more of a PR problem. If they had done slacker backer via Paypal from the start and then said "hey if we reach this extra goal we can do extra stuff" then it would be fine. Announcing a bunch of extra goals at the same time as the animated tie in starts to sound like they're aiming to establish their new IP too strong too soon, without having released the game yet. It's more a concern if you were a backer and you feel they're losing focus on what matters.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

My what an incredibly generous way to chacterize that, how about this way more accurate way:

They made a ludicrous amount of money more than they wanted or needed and are now greedily grabbing for more with both hands by launching a second "kickstarter" with no middleman

goons.txt

hth

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

This is totally what has happened, because scaling up a design based on the funding you get isn't a thing. I mean, the game they're producing is exactly the same as the one they would've made if they'd only barely made their goal, right?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

They've literally already done that, the original "goal" was for 100k for English va, which in and of itself seems incredibly unnecessary for a megaman game, then removed that and replaced it with 200k for English and Japanese va

Tell us then how much money is needed to make a Megaman game then.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tracula posted:

Tell us then how much money is needed to make a Megaman game then.

Clearly they just need a couple hundred to hire a few NES Megaman romhackers and call it a day. Or the guy that made this.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Genocyber posted:

Or the guy that made this.
This is amazing.

Ahahaha the superpower and the boss :lol:

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

No to both sorry, I don't have any problem with it at all.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

You should check out Star Citizen

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
It's only gross if they are offering potato salad as a reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
TerraTech – physics-based vehicle construction & combat *cough* has a playable tech demo now. It's actually surprisingly fun. I definitely recommend loving around with it if "hey, you can build fight-cars from lego-like parts" sounds at all fun to you.

There's no potato salad, though.