Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I uninstalled LGNPC for the same reasons you want to and everything worked fine. I might have even had one of its stupid quests active. (But yes, use Wrye Mash.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
After doing some more research I'm wondering if a conflicting CODEC is my issue. I never had this kind of trouble until I tried to adjust the game's screen resolution; would changing that activate CODEC problems? Again, the symptoms are a CTD upon startup with no error messages or logs I can find to tell me what went wrong. The game never gets to the point where music plays or the title screen is visible. This is the first I've heard of video CODECs and their potential issues with each other, so I don't know where to start.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
What happens when you do a fresh install with just mgso?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
After some more experimentation, it seems like I only experience this CTD problem while in fullscreen mode. Windowed mode appears to work alright. Just what might cause this? I really would prefer to get access to fullscreen mode back.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Pretty much the only way to determine cause is process of elimination. Start from a fresh install. Install mods 1 by 1, keep changing things to make the new install more like the old one. When you reproduce the error, you've found the cause.

Edit: also, are you changing resolution in the Morrowind launcher or mgso?

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 7, 2014

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I changed it via the launcher when it broke. Trying to change the resolution afterwards in MGSO didn't seem to solve any problems. Should I only alter it in the future via MGSO?

I was hoping to avoid reinstallation, but I guess that's what it's come to. Since Morrowind is extra finicky about installation, do I need to know anything special about performing a clean uninstallation?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

When I had problems with resolution(no crashes though so not the same situation) I had to change the resolution options in the registry files using regedit.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Mizuti posted:

I changed it via the launcher when it broke. Trying to change the resolution afterwards in MGSO didn't seem to solve any problems. Should I only alter it in the future via MGSO?

I was hoping to avoid reinstallation, but I guess that's what it's come to. Since Morrowind is extra finicky about installation, do I need to know anything special about performing a clean uninstallation?

You should only alter resolution through MGSO. Although, I recently was told by Hrnchamd that it didn't apply code patch settings correctly, and to use the code patch exe instead, so it's possible that the same thing is true for MGE, so you might try using that exe instead.

Anyway, when I'm doing big stuff like a clean install, I always copy the whole folder so I have a blueprint on how to rebuild it, and can possibly restore it to a working state once I have a better understanding of the cause.

Edit: install everything to a new spot, run the mgso installer in the clean install, backup your old Morrowind.ini, copy over the new ini to the old folder, alter it to have the same bsa section as the old ini, then try to run your old Morrowind.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 7, 2014

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

OpenMW fixed a hilarious bug.
https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/1457
Heart of Lorkan comes after you when attacking it

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

tuluk posted:

That is awesome. I'd love to see a video of that.

I remember my first visit to Solstheim, I was attacked by a werewolf out in the wilderness, but its head was on backwards and its body was stuck in a mangled human form with missing limbs and poo poo. It may be the only time I actually shouted in terror playing a video game. That loving bug managed to make the game a billion times more frightening totally by accident.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

tuluk posted:

That sounds a lot more entertaining than the bug I keep getting in Vanilla: Heart of Lorkan doesn't appear at all, making the game unwinnable :argh:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
It reminds me of the daggerfall one where slaughterfish would follow you out of the water and float around biting you.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

It reminds me of the daggerfall one where slaughterfish would follow you out of the water and float around biting you.

They'll still do that in MW, but it's rare, and only caused by mods AFAIK. I've had dreugh chase me around beaches before, as well.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I see a lot of slaughterfish stuck into the sides of mountains. No idea if that's caused by mods or not :v:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Pikestaff posted:

I see a lot of slaughterfish stuck into the sides of mountains. No idea if that's caused by mods or not :v:

In morrowind, fossils happen DIFFERENTLY.
CHIM.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
While the forums were dead, TR said a thing about the future of the project:

"A Statement of Vision"

TLDR: exactly what they said they were doing that was posted two pages back, but even more in depth, that they're no longer shying away from editing vanilla content to create a more 'immersive' narrative.

Here's one of the more surprising elements:

quote:

Mournhold as depicted in Tribunal will not be a part of Tamriel Rebuilt's final product. We intend to re-implement its content in time in the main world space, but not in an identical arrangement to its depiction in Tribunal. While Tribunal functioned as a stand-alone world space, it does not meet the needs of our project.

There are other posts stating that the most extensive changes will probably be to the Great Houses.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sky Shadowing posted:

There are other posts stating that the most extensive changes will probably be to the Great Houses.

There won't be a distinction between "mainland" and regular houses/guilds so that's nice. No more "We have nothing to do with those guys a 5 minute boat ride away!"

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
If the do it right then it will probably be really nice, but I'm still wary as hell of any mod that goes beyond its initially determined boundaries.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

If the do it right then it will probably be really nice, but I'm still wary as hell of any mod that goes beyond its initially determined boundaries.

It's TR, if they can't do it right then it can't be done. And they'll have 10 spergsupremes fact checking the lore.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I don't know, there's an idea floating around on their forums where the Telvanni mouths are, in fact, completely mind-controlled by their Patrons at all times so that their original identity is wiped out and they exist solely as an extension of their patron. Now, I'm not against a little weirdness, but that bit of lore fits absolutely nothing and is just... 'wtf'.

My wariness is that TR is going to fall into the trap that modders have fallen into many times- where they start to get way, way too big headed. And eventually they're going to start putting their vision before Bethesda's work, so to speak, that somebody's going to say 'let's do this cool thing', and someone points out 'that's a good idea, but there's this thing in the original game that completely refutes it' and the response is going to be 'gently caress that, this is OUR GAME now, we're making it how we want and gently caress Bethesda'.

So in the end, someday, we'd load up Morrowind+TR and play through the main quest, then all of a sudden Caius turns out to be a Sixth House agent and all these things you did were helping the ENEMY, and now you have to go kill Caius wherever he was and collect this UBER SWORD that is the ONLY THING that can kill Dagoth Ur's LOVER, but you fail and she survives and after you kill Dagoth Ur you have to track her down because she's PREGNANT with the ANTICHRIST. (Yes, I'm being completely ridiculous, that's the point)

Of course, I'll admit if there is any modding team I have faith in to pull it off and pull it off well with respect to the original game, it's Tamriel Rebuilt. I just don't see the point in taking a chance. TR was, to me, perfect as it was. I'm just concerned that this small step, acceptable as it is for the sake of greater immersion, is going to be a slippery slope.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'm really excited about OpenMW. Portable Morrowind on Android, anyone? :swoon:

space kobold
Oct 3, 2009

I just bought Morrowind on steam with the half off sale. I'm pretty sure this means I've owned this game about 5 times at this point, including two xbox versions.

:negative:

space kobold fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 29, 2014

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Sky Shadowing posted:

While the forums were dead, TR said a thing about the future of the project:

"A Statement of Vision"

TLDR: exactly what they said they were doing that was posted two pages back, but even more in depth, that they're no longer shying away from editing vanilla content to create a more 'immersive' narrative.

Here's one of the more surprising elements:

It seems kind of premature to make such a sweeping announcement when after what? Ten years? They've still only completed the landscaping of half of what they originally intended, and not finished the quests and interiors for even all of that. Unless I'm very out of touch, which is possible. I do get the impression that Morrowind's modding scene has been experiencing something of a renaissance since the release of Skyrim.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Fuligin posted:

It seems kind of premature to make such a sweeping announcement when after what? Ten years? They've still only completed the landscaping of half of what they originally intended, and not finished the quests and interiors for even all of that. Unless I'm very out of touch, which is possible. I do get the impression that Morrowind's modding scene has been experiencing something of a renaissance since the release of Skyrim.

OpenMW's increasingly rapid progress has made a lot of people excited.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Morrowind's modding community has always had a strength that the Oblivion and Skyrim communities have lacked- since you don't have to have voiced content, it's a lot easier to create high-quality work. So a significant bunch sticks around. TR tried to mostly migrate to Oblivion with Hammerfell, but the division between the Morrowind and Hammerfell projects left both floundering and they spun HF off onto its own project where it died a quiet, inevitable death.

I think, in a way, this is that their team has felt that they've been unnecessarily restricted by the 'stark divide' between Vvardenfell and the Mainland. So I have a feeling that, in addition to 'creative freedom', this is also hoping to fire up the team and get them more excited. I'm not so sure if that's a good gain- in my opinion, having clearly defined boundaries is a better avenue for creativity than open season on whatever you want to edit, since you have to find creative ways to work within those bounds.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a way to set the resolution to 1080 besides the registry as its not showing up for me? I'm using the steam version if it matters.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

ColoradoCleric posted:

Is there a way to set the resolution to 1080 besides the registry as its not showing up for me? I'm using the steam version if it matters.

You could use MGE-XE.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
What is the absolute bare minimum I need to do to get this running on Windows 8.1 at 1080p? I bought this during the Steam sale since my first Elder Scrolls game was Oblivion on the 360. Needed to fill in my gap in history. Dated or not I want to be as true to the vanilla game as possible, the only mods I'd want is one to get it running at native resolution and not crash on Windows 8.1.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Ularg posted:

What is the absolute bare minimum I need to do to get this running on Windows 8.1 at 1080p? I bought this during the Steam sale since my first Elder Scrolls game was Oblivion on the 360. Needed to fill in my gap in history. Dated or not I want to be as true to the vanilla game as possible, the only mods I'd want is one to get it running at native resolution and not crash on Windows 8.1.

Probably the only things you'd need are MGE for resolution and the code patch to fix some bugs.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Any advice for a neophyte? I played Morrowind back in the day on Xbox and it remains one of my favorite games to this day. This will be my first time playing it on PC and I'm feeling a little lost.

I'm running it on an hp Pavillion dvt6 laptop thats about 5 years old at this point. I've got 2.27 GHz i5 CPU, 4 gigs of RAM, and an integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD(DXDiag says I've got 1696 MB of memory). I'm running 64-bit Windows 7.

Because of this I'm hesitant to go with a lot of graphical enhancement mods because of my wimpy graphics capabilities, but I am interested in basic improvements like Better Bodies, Better Heads, and the Better Clothes.

I'm mainly interested in additional content mods. More places to go, more quests to complete, houses to buy, strongholds to build, and lots of roleplay opportunities. I liked the Farmer mod in the OP because it seems right up my ally in that you can grow your little plot up to a huge plantation.

Where do I go from here? I've got the steam version (installed in Program Files x86)and all I've done so far is disable UAC, set my exe's to run as admin, and modified the created dates of my bsa's to 2002.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Canemacar posted:

I'm mainly interested in additional content mods. More places to go, more quests to complete, houses to buy, strongholds to build, and lots of roleplay opportunities. I liked the Farmer mod in the OP because it seems right up my ally in that you can grow your little plot up to a huge plantation.

Where do I go from here?

Read the rest of the OP and download mods that sound cool :shrug:

There's a ton of stuff there, we can't suggest mods at random without knowing what you want. "More quests" is vague as hell.

If you haven't played it since xbox don't download many quest mods and just play the vanilla game.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, the best recommendation is to google search for old mod lists and read through it and pick and choose the mods that seem most interesting to you. The Obvious Choice, of course, is Tamriel Rebuilt, which is everything you want at high quality and a lore-friendly package.

As for graphics mods, though, I'd heartily recommend MGE XE for Distant Land, which will completely change Morrowind for you, and has very wide ranges for graphics.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Ogg's megapack would work best for you, since it has the mods you want and doesn't demand much graphically IIRC. MGE-XE probably wouldn't be able to do much with your integrated card, but the Morrowind Graphics Optimizer can at least allow you to see farther if your framerate is too low with MGE. Both of these are linked in the OP.

As for content mods, that's an incredibly broad and subjective category (as the posters above me mentioned), so I haven't put very many mods in that part of the OP. Try going to the major mod sites like Morrowind Nexus, The Bethesda Forums, or Great House Fliggerty and searching there.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Sorry, I guess I wasn't being very clear.

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Ogg's megapack would work best for you, since it has the mods you want and doesn't demand much graphically IIRC. MGE-XE probably wouldn't be able to do much with your integrated card, but the Morrowind Graphics Optimizer can at least allow you to see farther if your framerate is too low with MGE. Both of these are linked in the OP.

Ok, is there someplace that gives a breakdown of whats included in the Ogg pack? It would be helpful in preventing conflicts with future mods I might install.

MGE is a graphics mod, with MGE-XE being a bigger, better version, correct? I couldn't find anything that gave a clear breakdown of what they did. MGO would be a plugin that allows me to tweak the performance once I've stalled MGE?

Would I need to install any community patches to fix issues in the game and make it compatible with most mods? Or would they already be included in the Ogg pack?

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Canemacar posted:

Ok, is there someplace that gives a breakdown of whats included in the Ogg pack? It would be helpful in preventing conflicts with future mods I might install.

Would I need to install any community patches to fix issues in the game and make it compatible with most mods? Or would they already be included in the Ogg pack?

Here you go bro: http://chocopack.net/morrowind/mod-list/

If you skip on installing most texture mods, you can run this on integrated graphics. The best community fixes are included in the pack.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Oggumogoggum posted:

Here you go bro: http://chocopack.net/morrowind/mod-list/

If you skip on installing most texture mods, you can run this on integrated graphics. The best community fixes are included in the pack.

Sweet. Thanks.

Looked through the list and everything seems pretty awesome. The economy adjuster, lore fix, Main quest enhancement, service requirement, Starfire NPCs, Thief experience, time mod, and expanded Vivic mods in particular caught my eye. Morrowind is one of the few games i can completely immerse myself in and these should help.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Is there any way to see pickpocket percentages? I have no idea how pickpocketing works at all and that was one of my favorite Skyrim mechanics.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Hog Butcher posted:

Is there any way to see pickpocket percentages? I have no idea how pickpocketing works at all and that was one of my favorite Skyrim mechanics.

I've never seen one, but that's partially the point. You just have to gamble on your character's skills and deal with the consequences if they're not up to scratch.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Canemacar posted:

Sweet. Thanks.

Looked through the list and everything seems pretty awesome. The economy adjuster, lore fix, Main quest enhancement, service requirement, Starfire NPCs, Thief experience, time mod, and expanded Vivic mods in particular caught my eye. Morrowind is one of the few games i can completely immerse myself in and these should help.

I'd actually recommend against Service Requirements. I think I'll be removing it in further builds.

Starfire's NPCs is also pretty performance-heavy, so be careful with that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I've never seen one, but that's partially the point. You just have to gamble on your character's skills and deal with the consequences if they're not up to scratch.

Unless you have the Morrowind Code Patch, they're not up to scratch in any situation ever. Even then, I don't know what's going on with it.