Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
After reading this thread all I can ask is please put this in the OP tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Drastic Actions posted:

Oh yeah, no one should probably buy any of those domains (Giving any money to the GOP... ugh, no), I'm just saying that the order would go through with that domain.
I just thought it was funny that I could work around their filters like that.
Yeah, screwing around with stuff like that seems like the kind of thing that could potentially cause actual legal trouble, so probably not a good idea. Also I know some exploit similar to this ended up getting the Bitcoin thread canned for a while, so there's that too.

On that note, it's nice to know that Republicans and Bitcoiners share the same level of incompetence W/R/T technology.:allears:

In actual politics news Julican Castro was confirmed as HUD sectretary.:toot: 71 Yes, 26 No, 3 Not Voting

Some notable Yes and No votes (all the Democrats voted Yes, no surprise there):
Cornyn (R-TX), Yes
Cruz (R-TX), No
Rubio (R-FL), Yes
Cochran (R-MS), Yes
Wicker (R-MS), Yes
McConnell (R-KY), No
Paul (R-KY), No

Cornyn and Cruz actually broke separately on this, which is one of the very small but appreciable differences between the establishment and the Tea Party. On that note, Cruz remains an rear end in a top hat, and Rubio potentially renews the calls of RINO if he tries to run in 2016. Both Mississippi senators voted Yes, which is interesting since Thad Cochran has been branded a RINO for getting blacks to vote for him against McDaniel in the Mississippi Republican primary. And finally Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul both with No, presumably to try to shore up their conservative credentials.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 9, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think HUD Sec votes are going to be a huge election issue.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

theshim posted:

After reading this thread all I can ask is please put this in the OP tia

?

What am I not getting?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Thad Cochran voted yes? Wow. Maybe he did it just to spite the Tea Party for trying to oust him, since he's smart enough to know all those braying jackasses will hold their noses and vote for him anyway because the alternative is a DEMONCRAT.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Spun Dog posted:

?

What am I not getting?

Cyncism.

A la:

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

My bad, I already have plenty of that.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

zoux posted:

I don't think HUD Sec votes are going to be a huge election issue.
Oh I know it's probably not going to be a dealbreaker, I was just thinking that it could be used as extra ammo in a political ad, especially playing up the Castro part. Although if by some miracle Julian is Hillary's VP, this vote will be very notable indeed.

A Superpac funded by Karl Rove/the Koch Brothers posted:

Thad Cochran/Marco Rubio voted to confirm Julian Castro as the HUD secretary! Castro is known to support the Dream Act/Amnesty, and Cochran/Rubio do too.

Vote for [Tea Party Candidate] this November 2014/2016, and stop amnesty from happening. Only you can prevent this flood from happening.

Paid for by the America for Americans PAC
But not those drat Native Americans, real white Americans, the only true Americans

No, you're crazy, we're not implying Julian Castro is related to Fidel Castro or believes the same things Fidel Castro does, where would you get that from? Crazy liberal.:smug:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

They tried pretty hard with the president's middle name and it didn't work, and it wasn't a completely outdated reference like Castro.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
New Quinnipiac poll is out and it looks pretty loving bad for the GOP. Hillary has a lead on every potential GOP candidate. Clinton has a huge lead in the Demo primary but the GOP primary is pretty even with Paul (lol) having a slight lead. Approval of congressional republicans is 10 pts lower than the approval of Dems (but both are bad).

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/news-and-events/quinnipiac-university-poll/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2058

Only thing I'm hearing reported though is the "satisfied with the country's direction" being really low

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Looking a bit more positive that the Democratic party is going to have the balls to push through their 150+ nominees (and hopefully the remaining vacancies) before losing the Senate: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/harry-reid-threatens-revisit-nuclear-option-filibuster-rules

quote:

"We changed some of the rules. We didn't change that," Reid said of the Senate's November rules change that required a simple majority to confirm all nominees except the Supreme Court. "If they're going to continue this, maybe we'll have to take another look at that. Just, it's outrageous what they've done."

What Reid is threatening here is a further weakening of the filibuster by limiting the minority's ability to force lengthy debates on nominations. Existing rules allow for up to 30 hours of debate on cabinet nominations and circuit judges, and 8 hours on sub-cabinet nominations.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Good Citizen posted:

New Quinnipiac poll is out and it looks pretty loving bad for the GOP. Hillary has a lead on every potential GOP candidate. Clinton has a huge lead in the Demo primary but the GOP primary is pretty even with Paul (lol) having a slight lead. Approval of congressional republicans is 10 pts lower than the approval of Dems (but both are bad).

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/news-and-events/quinnipiac-university-poll/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2058

Only thing I'm hearing reported though is the "satisfied with the country's direction" being really low

This means literally nothing.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Spun Dog posted:

Well, if you ever need more, feel free to go through the rest of his twitter. You can get all the poverty issue based despair you could ever want in one simple source.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Mitt Romney posted:

Looking a bit more positive that the Democratic party is going to have the balls to push through their 150+ nominees (and hopefully the remaining vacancies) before losing the Senate: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/harry-reid-threatens-revisit-nuclear-option-filibuster-rules
If Reid wants to put and end to the bullshit, he just needs to make them stay in session for every 30 hour period of debate. "Fine, you want to debate this? You've got 30 hours. The second you stop we have a vote on it." Senators, like most people, don't like having their free time taken up by work.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

zoux posted:

The GOP gets off on getting called racist. They get to climb up on their moral high horse and accuse Dems of playing "the RACE CARD" and then the narrative switches to "is it racism" and liberals get called overly sensitive and so on.

Because you can't prove someone is racist. We know that they are racist, they know they are racist, but they have plausible deniability in the name of national security and economic reasons, so unless you have a secret tape of them saying "muhahahah we're doing this because we hate Mexicans ahahah" (and probably not even then) race is never a winning issue in the contemporary political climate.

I mean, Donald Sterling was on tape basically saying "I hate black people", still denied he was racist, and a good number of people believe him, or don't think what he did was racist.

I had someone tell me recently that nothing said in anger can ever be fairly construed as racism while he was defending Anthony Cumia's right to not be fired by Sirius. The goalposts are on the move faster than ever.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Internet Webguy posted:

I had someone tell me recently that nothing said in anger can ever be fairly construed as racism while he was defending Anthony Cumia's right to not be fired by Sirius. The goalposts are on the move faster than ever.

Yep. The Anthony Cumia example is a good way to show how tone deaf Americans are on racism because while what the dude tweeted was so clearly loving racist, I can buy that he and his supporters don't consider it racism. So the challenge with using "it's racist" as a strategy isn't just convincing voters that the policies or whatever are motivated by racism, but that they are in fact racist.

Lol

quote:

“I won’t get into the debate about climate change," said Sen. Brandon Smith, a Hazard Republican. “But I’ll simply point out that I think in academia we all agree that the temperature on Mars is exactly as it is here. Nobody will dispute that. Yet there are no coal mines on Mars. There’s no factories on Mars that I’m aware of.”

Smith owns a coal company on Earth.
:ughh:

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 9, 2014

Reflections85
Apr 30, 2013

Isn't the temperature of Mars over a hundred degree’s colder than the average temperature of Earth? I am going to assume that he was playing on the whole "Mars is warming, too" anti-Global Warming canard, but that is still a terrible way to phrase it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The average temperature of Mars is exactly the same as it is on Planet Earth, -81 degrees Celsius.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWc6i8dpzO0

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Reflections85 posted:

Isn't the temperature of Mars over a hundred degree’s colder than the average temperature of Earth? I am going to assume that he was playing on the whole "Mars is warming, too" anti-Global Warming canard, but that is still a terrible way to phrase it.

Let me guess, somebody on the house Science Committee?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Spun Dog posted:

Let me guess, somebody on the house Science Committee?

He's at least a STATE Senator as opposed to a federal Senator, so we can comfortably only blame like three towns in Tennessee or Kentucky or wherever.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
The request for the Kansas tax cut article was hours ago, but here's a Vox link.

quote:

Patrick Gleason of Americans for Tax Reform said Kansas was "the story of the next decade." The Cato Institute praised Brownback's "impressive" tax cuts and gave him an "A" on fiscal policy. And the Weekly Standard's Bill Kristol said that, if reelected, Brownback would be "a formidable presidential possibility."

:laffo:

quote:

After the cuts became law, it was undisputed that Kansas's revenue collections would fall. But some supply-side analysts, like economist Arthur Laffer, argued that increased economic growth would deliver more revenue that would help cushion this impact.

Talk about chronically wrong.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 9, 2014

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So is the .gop ICANN arrangement only possible now that Obama ended US government control over that agency?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

FAUXTON posted:

They tried pretty hard with the president's middle name and it didn't work, and it wasn't a completely outdated reference like Castro.

Yeah all the people that get upset when they hear Castro are already voting for whoever the Republican is.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Spun Dog posted:

Like a fish in water, you know?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Talk about chronically wrong.

And if you thought there was a glimmer of hope with the Democratic candidate winning in November, that article ends noting his solution to the imminent fiscal crisis is... more tax cuts.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Ballz posted:

And if you thought there was a glimmer of hope with the Democratic candidate winning in November, that article ends noting his solution to the imminent fiscal crisis is... more tax cuts.

Man, that really is the issue with the neoliberal paradigm, huh? Once a Republican or Tory or whatever cuts taxes (and often creates a deficit), there really is no way to repair the damage done because saying "I'll raise taxes" is normally political suicide.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Good Citizen posted:

Obviously it's way too early for this to mean much, but I sincerely hope we're in for 2012 2: Republican Boogaloo where they rotate through every possible candidate before settling on the richest white guy they've got, who proceeds to get hammered at the elections.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Hey sorry for the uninformed question but I've just been out of the loop on news in the last month. Is there *actually* some sort of a humanitarian crisis (like, more significant than 1 month, 6 months, or even 5 years ago) on the Mexican border or is this just a trumped up cable news thing?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MrChupon posted:

Hey sorry for the uninformed question but I've just been out of the loop on news in the last month. Is there *actually* some sort of a humanitarian crisis (like, more significant than 1 month, 6 months, or even 5 years ago) on the Mexican border or is this just a trumped up cable news thing?

It's been building over this past calendar year

quote:

Since October, more than 52,000 children — most from Central America and many of them unaccompanied by adults — have been taken into custody. That's nearly double last year's total and 10 times the number from 2009.

A study by the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees found that 58 percent of the unaccompanied children are motivated by safety concerns, fearing conditions back home.

Their home countries have been racked by gang violence, fueled by the drug trade. According to U.S. Customs and Border Protection, "Salvadoran and Honduran children ... come from extremely violent regions where they probably perceive the risk of traveling alone to the U.S. preferable to remaining at home."

There's violence in Guatemala, too. Many Guatemalan children, however, come from poor rural areas and may be seeking economic opportunities. The same is true for children from poorer parts of El Salvador. For many, the prospect of reuniting with family members in the U.S. is also a powerful motivating force.

Central American families may have been misled by rumors — often spread by profit-seeking smugglers — that their children will readily be reunited with relatives already in the U.S.

U.S. policy allows Mexican child migrants to be sent back quickly across the border. However, under a 2008 law meant to combat child trafficking, the Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act, children from Central America must be given a court hearing before they are deported (or allowed to stay). Given the huge backlog of cases, they may have to wait years for a hearing.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

MrChupon posted:

A truly overwhelming number of South American/Central American minors are just showing up at the border and literally throwing themselves at our mercy.

Has anyone photoshopped the "Not our children not our problem" sign onto the Statue of Liberty plaque yet?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Did that Taibbi article on small town corruption that Fried Chicken or whoever mentioned last night drop? Anyone read it?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

MrChupon posted:

Both. 50,000+ unaccompanied children since last October, and I think last month set a new record. They're fleeing drug gang warfare in several central American countries, where children are groomed to join gangs, or they die; there are no civilians in these "wars". Families (and most often the children themselves) are deciding to send the children to America to join already-immigrated family or just a chance at political asylum.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Part of the cause is the William Wilberforce Act of 2008, which was a law to combat sex trafficking that requires children who entered the US without an adult from countries other than Canada and Mexico to get a hearing and access to counsel before being deported. The White House is punting this issue back to Congress because they know that Congress is not going to repeal a Bush-era anti-sex-trafficking law.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

McDowell posted:

So is the .gop ICANN arrangement only possible now that Obama ended US government control over that agency?

Nah, anyone can petition ICANN for a top-level-domain(TLD). There are a loving shitload of them these days. This is more a publicity thing than anything. Also that deal hasn't gone though yet, the government still controls it afaik.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

SavageBastard posted:

Has anyone photoshopped the "Not our children not our problem" sign onto the Statue of Liberty plaque yet?

Pretty sure that it would unironically get posted on conservative's facebook pages if it was made.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

Approval of Congressional Republicans lower and Republican unfavorables higher. But a preference for Republicans to control Congress. Strange.

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 10, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Low info voters thinking that it's a good thing to have a divided government, I presume.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Low info voters thinking that it's a good thing to have a divided government, I presume.

Eh, to be fair that's generally not a bad thing to want, providing that both parties are acting in good faith.

That ship sailed a long, long time ago though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Man, that really is the issue with the neoliberal paradigm, huh? Once a Republican or Tory or whatever cuts taxes (and often creates a deficit), there really is no way to repair the damage done because saying "I'll raise taxes" is normally political suicide.

It's almost impossible to run on a platform where you explicitly state that you want to raise taxes. In my experience, the only people who would go along with that are leftists.

And if you say you just want to raise taxes on the rich and businesses, your opponent will get gobs of money thrown at them from the Kochs, et al.

We've had decades of propaganda telling us that taxes=bad, no matter what, too the point where even most Democrats will hang you out to dry.

I think the biggest part is that most people really have no grasp on how taxes actually work or where their tax dollars go.

I hear on a daily basis that people are unwilling to work too much overtime because they don't want to get into that higher tax bracket and make less money as a result. This is from people making $50-90k, depending on tenure, so it's not like they're going to lose some sort of assistance, either.

• Locked thread