Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I have a Roku so I can just stream it from there. It's just annoying that the UFC app for Android seems to be developed by idiots and doesn't work on my Nexus 7 2013. Works great on the iPhone, but I don't have an AppleTV to stream it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Reem vs Rothwell and Black Beast vs Fat gently caress should be a round robin to decide next title shot. No matter what the outcome is good for everyone because Cain gets to murder a man

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I keep thinking that something like the Super Six tournament could be good for divisions where the champ is perpetually injured or there are no clear contenders, but iirc didn't injuries gently caress it up?

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Probably, which is why this one night tournament coming up will just end badly. Cody wins by tko (damage from previous fights)

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
please loving shoehorn mark hunt into a title fight. him and miocic are the only ones i'm even remotely (seriously) interested in. comedy can wait.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Marching Powder posted:

please loving shoehorn mark hunt into a title fight. him and miocic are the only ones i'm even remotely (seriously) interested in. comedy can wait.

After he pastes Big Country sure why not

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Pure bullshit that Dana didn't sign Former UFC Heavyweight Champion Tim Sylvia to get his face pounded in in what I think is his homestate but don't care enough to actually look up

Sylvia can't make weight on short notice in two months.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I am watching Season 4 of the Ultimate Fighter for the first time. I've got a pretty good idea of who wins, but other than that don't know any details.

Episode 1
  • Dana looks and sounds really, really young. He needs to lay of the HGH a bit and try to look like a normal human again. Also his accent seems to be a bit more pronounced.
  • Shonie <3
  • I'm into the premise, mostly because it seems like a pretty talent heavy season. I'm seeing a lot of guys who were around the UFC for quite a while, and multiple title challengers.
  • The no central coach concept sounds really strange to me though. You've got all these guys who are in competition with one another, left to basically struggle over coaching resources, with no central guide as to how they should be apportioning things out.
  • Matt Serra is cool as poo poo. Cornering and strategy for a guy who beat him.
  • I was worried about Shonie because A. old B. a billion fights and C. it seemed like Serra was training him in really basic grappling. Kimbo grappling.
  • The coaching during the fight is roughly 98.6% Serra compared to whoever is cornering Clementi.
  • I can't believe this is welterweights. They're gassing like the combined weight is 500 lbs.
  • Guy who lost while taking no damage: "maybe I should fought harder."

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Lone Goat posted:

Sylvia can't make weight on short notice in two months.

Or 4, or 14.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Grifter posted:

I am watching Season 4 of the Ultimate Fighter for the first time. I've got a pretty good idea of who wins, but other than that don't know any details.

Episode 1
  • Dana looks and sounds really, really young. He needs to lay of the HGH a bit and try to look like a normal human again. Also his accent seems to be a bit more pronounced.
  • Shonie <3
  • I'm into the premise, mostly because it seems like a pretty talent heavy season. I'm seeing a lot of guys who were around the UFC for quite a while, and multiple title challengers.
  • The no central coach concept sounds really strange to me though. You've got all these guys who are in competition with one another, left to basically struggle over coaching resources, with no central guide as to how they should be apportioning things out.
  • Matt Serra is cool as poo poo. Cornering and strategy for a guy who beat him.
  • I was worried about Shonie because A. old B. a billion fights and C. it seemed like Serra was training him in really basic grappling. Kimbo grappling.
  • The coaching during the fight is roughly 98.6% Serra compared to whoever is cornering Clementi.
  • I can't believe this is welterweights. They're gassing like the combined weight is 500 lbs.

Haha season 4 owned bones for a lot of reasons. Matt Serra talked about it on the Rogan experience. Also Serra's "DON'T FORGET THE FOOT STAWMPS" is pretty much a staple for me and my brother to yell at the TV when we're drunk at mid day on a sunday watching fights.

On BJ Penn:
BJ Penn switched his style up in the past when he first started working with Parillo. He used to fight a lot more square and then went to a more bladed stance where he could parry and counter with his jab, it worked really well for a long time at lightweight but starting failing him when he went up for no real reason after losing to Frankie. It mainly started failing because he fought Nick Diaz and MacDonald who have solid jab games of their own, but are also much longer than he is.

His high stance is the same sort of thing, just really poorly executed by guys who've trained a lot of dutch style kick boxing. Duane Ludwig and TJ Dillashaw have used a high stance before, the difference is it's a high stance when there further away (i.e. not in range) of their opponent and they sat down when they exchanged. Penn's footwork was off, he didn't settle his weight when he threw punches and had no answer for the takedown because his center of gravity was so high. His guard work was also pointless and really lacking in attacks. I honestly thought at first he was trying to bait Frankie into something he'd seen on film, like wait for him to pass to half and try to take his back or something.

BJ probably could have made this fight more interesting if he worked on cutting the ring off and clinch fighting, instead he picked the worst possible style to try and adopt for the fight. It was bizarre and stupid. If I was Parillo I'd distance myself from it too. Parillo is a former boxer and he's worked with decent fighters in the past Bisping springs to mind, but BJ's execution of "fighting tall" was terrible.

BJ was a good draw too because he was an exciting fighter. He was easy to hype up because he finished everyone he beat when he was a LW.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Grifter posted:

Episode 1

It's still funny to me that Clementi, who's really a natural lightweight, ended up fighting Rumble Johnson at WW in the UFC and choked him out.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TheReverend posted:

Tech Tip of the Day (TToD):

If you have an Android device (newer, not poo poo) and a Chomecast, you can cast the whole screen on your phone/tablet including sound.

"Wow that's great and all, but what the gently caress does that have to do with the UFC", you say?

Well remember how UFC.TV doesn't have Chromecast support? Now it essentially does. I watched a few fights in pretty good quality (maybe slightly below cable company PPV levels) and didn't have any problems.

This is how I'll personally be watching FightPass stuff from now on.

If this is really old news, I apologize. I consider myself and android dork but didn't really know this until today so maybe some other people don't know too!

I do basically the same with my ipad and appletv. The only thing that drives me nuts is the UFC doesn't have the flag turned on in their app where you can play audio/video in the background so I have to turn off auto-lock to make sure it stays up the whole time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lloyd Boner posted:

Reem vs Rothwell on the CT card

I am so excited for that card.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

red19fire posted:

Did she fight someone else during the walkout? How'd she get so injured in 16 seconds?

I think I heard she had a cyst in her hand bust or she broke her hand previous to the fight and just didn't tell anyone. I don't think anyone knew she was scheduled for knee surgery either so who knows what was up. She fought three times in six months so she was bound to get some injuries.

Meanwhile Cruz sneezes and his MCL explodes.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Rothwell is going to TKO Overeem in the third. Calling it.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

quote:

Tim Sylvia Fan Page @TimSylviaUFC · 12h
@danawhite if we have to sit thru a bunch a crap fights on #TUF why not throw @timsylviamma on an undercard and let him fight his way back?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Tim why don't you go on TUF. I know they don't allow rascals in the house but you'll manage.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Why is everything to do with Jens Pulver depressing as poo poo?

Listening to him on the MMA hour and his life is even more :smith: that I already thought it was.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Trast posted:

I think I heard she had a cyst in her hand bust or she broke her hand previous to the fight and just didn't tell anyone. I don't think anyone knew she was scheduled for knee surgery either so who knows what was up. She fought three times in six months so she was bound to get some injuries.

Meanwhile Cruz sneezes and his MCL explodes.

There's a little bone behind your thumb knuckle that's easy to break. The cyst was from boxing so much in the lead up to the McCann fight, the knee is just routine clean scar tissue and poo poo that builds up - nothing actually damaged.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

BJ had a pretty traditional muay thai stance in his fight which is pretty weird because I don't really remember him ever doing that (or it ever really appearing in MMA in general).

A traditional Muay Thai stance is even more static. BJ did a lot of mincing walking, with alternating feet forward. In MT, you'd almost always have weight on your rear foot, bouncing the front foot, ready to check kicks or teep. You'd also have you arms out to tangle incoming punches and establish kicking range.

Shogun might be the best representative of that stance. He shows a lot of it in the first Machida fight.

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA

BlindSite posted:

There's a little bone behind your thumb knuckle that's easy to break. The cyst was from boxing so much in the lead up to the McCann fight, the knee is just routine clean scar tissue and poo poo that builds up - nothing actually damaged.
I think Weidman had a similar knee operation not very long ago? But yea, the thumb is probably the only thing that actually got damaged in the fight.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Zwachro posted:

I think Weidman had a similar knee operation not very long ago? But yea, the thumb is probably the only thing that actually got damaged in the fight.

Yeah I assume so, same thing that every NFL running back has had done bi-annually since their 14th birthday.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

xcore posted:

Why is everything to do with Jens Pulver depressing as poo poo?

Listening to him on the MMA hour and his life is even more :smith: that I already thought it was.

I thought he had a cool little kid. What's been going wrong in Pulver town? :(

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

BJ had a pretty traditional muay thai stance in his fight which is pretty weird because I don't really remember him ever doing that (or it ever really appearing in MMA in general). It's not popular in MMA because obviously you're standing straight up in the air with your feet basically touching which means you have next to no ability to defend takedowns because you basically can't sprawl and it's really easy to offset your center of balance. In practice this could have been deliberate from BJ if he favored his odds on the ground even off his back (although historically I don't know why he would think this) and was going to employ the benefits of the stance while standing.

In execution he just sort of looked like a kid who had never been in a fight before, and if 'moving with my knees bent' is too tiring for a person who quite frankly isn't really old enough to warrant that level of old-man fatigue I think the conclusion probably should have been 'I probably shouldn't be fighting', not 'how can i try to be in a fight while maintaining my resting heart rate'.

Charles Oliveira uses a traditional Muay Thai stance because he wants people to take him down.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

colonel_korn posted:

It's still funny to me that Clementi, who's really a natural lightweight, ended up fighting Rumble Johnson at WW in the UFC and choked him out.
If that's the case Shonie should be down somewhere around 145, Clementi looked huge compared to him.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Grifter posted:

Thats my favourite season of the show. Matt Serra is the best, there was the funny part someone mentioned earlier with Shonie calling out Charles Mccarthy and the fights were ok too I think.

Does anyone remember who Ben Rothwell was fighting when he started doing that really goofy head movement towards the end before he got a KO win?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My best guess, given how the previous fights went and how Frankie's subsequent losses played out, is that BJ adopted the high MT stance to counter Frankie's movement with low kicks that he never ended up throwing.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Brasseye posted:

Thats my favourite season of the show. Matt Serra is the best, there was the funny part someone mentioned earlier with Shonie calling out Charles Mccarthy and the fights were ok too I think.

Does anyone remember who Ben Rothwell was fighting when he started doing that really goofy head movement towards the end before he got a KO win?

Brandon Vera

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Cat Zingano will face Amanda Nunes at UFC 178. Good for her, glad to see she's finally coming back.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I offered to fight Tim Sylvia and he thought I was joking. Then he blocked me. Shoulda took the fight, Tim.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
As far as I know Sylvia is fatter than ever and for a dude who already fought at 300 pounds that's pretty fuckin bad.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Lloyd Boner posted:

Reem vs Rothwell on the CT card

Joe Silva, you understand me.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Bunch of interviews with some of the TUF 20 cast, it's pretty good despite Ariel's usual awkwardness and attempts to stir up drama.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/7/10/5883997/meet-the-ladies-of-tuf-20

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Captain Log posted:

I thought he had a cool little kid. What's been going wrong in Pulver town? :(

If you mean the kid he just had the "fight" with that was all :3:, that was his nephew I believe.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Bluedeanie posted:

Cat Zingano will face Amanda Nunes at UFC 178. Good for her, glad to see she's finally coming back.

That should be a good tune up.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Trast posted:

That should be a good tune up.

And on the off chance she loses, they can give Nunes a title shot.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

At this point, I'm surprised they haven't talked out loud about Rousey vs. Bruce Leroy or something.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
All I ask is the next Rousey challenger go longer than 1 round and maybe a moment or two of success.

Also there's supposed to be a major Fight Pass announcement in less than an hour. Let's hope it's a Metamoris partnership.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

What would the response from the Athletic Commission to the UFC proposing an inter-gender bout be?
I have no doubt that the AC would say absolutely not and refuse them, but would they take punitive action for asking something so ridiculous?

e: Clarified question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Aurain posted:

What would the response from the Athletic Commission to the UFC proposing an inter-gender bout be?
I have no doubt that the AC would say absolutely not and refuse them, but would they take punitive action for asking something so ridiculous?

e: Clarified question

"no"

• Locked thread