Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
So, Am I crazy in thinking that this could become a mini campaign? basing the next battle off the results of this one.
I thought I'd mention it in here so as not to disturb the fighters to much.

Current early form is something like this.

German decisive victory - German attack on Russian possion (new map)
German minor victory - Russian Attack on railroad (map modified to represent attack more from east)
Draw - another meeting engagement (same map, new map, or modified map.)
Russian minor victory - German attack on railroad (mao modified to represent attack more from west.)
Russian decisive victory - Russian attack on new German position. (new map)

This is all if I don't go crazy before then and start smashing Panthers and IS-2's together while shouting "NOW KIIISSSSSS!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Grey Hunter posted:

So, Am I crazy in thinking that this could become a mini campaign? basing the next battle off the results of this one.

German minor victory - Russian Attack on railroad (map modified to represent attack more from east)
Russian minor victory - German attack on railroad (mao modified to represent attack more from west.)

This is all if I don't go crazy before then and start smashing Panthers and IS-2's together while shouting "NOW KIIISSSSSS!"

You're definitely crazy, but that sounds amazing.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah that would be a good way to include the different engagement types. Will they get reinforcements? I assume so, need more tanks to bash together *vrooom vrooom clang clang clang*

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grey Hunter posted:

I think that's a great idea if this game goes well. People have been wanting a dynamic campaign for Combat Mission forever, and that's still the one thing Close Combat has over CM.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!

Pimpmust posted:

Dude are you reading this thread and posting in the German thread? Maybe you should stop either one of those.

I'm not commanding for either side and all I'm doing is giving the Germans poo poo.

Incidentally.

lenoon posted:

I guess the most obvious one is that the Russians are all going north, but I'd like to believe they aren't because otherwise we look like dicks for having about 70% of all of our stuff on te south of the river.

:allears:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Leaking information or disinformation to either side is not kosher.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Execu-speak posted:

I'm not commanding for either side and all I'm doing is giving the Germans poo poo.

Incidentally.

Yeah, can you cut that out. Peanut gallery should be done in this thread, not the game threads, we should leave them all to make their own mistakes.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Grey Hunter posted:

I dig it.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

It's incredible how people think that they're exempt from simple rules intended to make a game work.

Edit: I hope that the new Russian gunboat scores a hideous amount of kills.

Edit Edit: Seriously dude, you altered lenoon's thinking.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 10, 2014

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Execu-speak posted:

Incidentally.

So this game lasted one (1) turn before someone hosed up!

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
Did that dude just directly quote a post from the German thread about unit positioning?

Is he retarded or something?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Jonah Galtberg posted:

So this game lasted one (1) turn before someone hosed up!

Hey, better than last time. Someone royally hosed up before the game started. Man, I forgot who it was but gently caress that guy for leaking the German OOB.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Did that dude just directly quote a post from the German thread about unit positioning?

He went one better and posted in the German thread making fun of one of their plans which led to them changing it

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Adventure Pigeon posted:

At least he didn't quote it in the Soviet thread :v:

...right? :ohdear:

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I'm detecting multiple failures to comprehend a very basic idea.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
With that Soviet T-34 getting stuck, Grey forgetting to load their infantry on tanks, and now this guy spreading information to the Germans, it seems like the destiny itself is trying to undo German tactical ineptitude.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
Sorry guys was very stupid in retrospect, I'll just go back to lurking.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I mean, I don't believe that there was any rule saying that Russian and German players can't look in this thread, just not each others, right?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Execu-speak posted:

Well, it was stupid, but don't feel too bad. There was much worse in the previous threads.

Adventure Pigeon posted:

I mean, I don't believe that there was any rule saying that Russian and German players can't look in this thread, just not each others, right?

Of course they can't! Grey even posts all the maps and results here!

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Well, it was stupid, but don't feel too bad. There was much worse in the previous threads.

Of course they can't! Grey even posts all the maps and results here!

Ah, ok, that makes sense.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nenonen posted:

I bet the spectators are giggling at us right now.

This should be in the thread title somewhere.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Execu-speak posted:

That is super loving gamey and would make for a boring LP.

Probably true

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
About two months ago I was thinking of running an LP of Fields of Fire, a tabletop solitaire game. The main mechanic of the game is that there is a chain of command, and it's way more efficient for the CO to use one of his available order to "activate" a platoon leader so he orders his platoon around with his own stock of orders rather than order the units directly from HQ.

The idea was to have a goon play as one of the CO or NCOs, pretty similar to this..

What I mean to say is: Thanks Grey for showing how big of a clusterfuck this would be, and that better you than me. I'll go back to eating popcorn and watch the Soviets second guess themselves into defeat.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

About two months ago I was thinking of running an LP of Fields of Fire, a tabletop solitaire game. The main mechanic of the game is that there is a chain of command, and it's way more efficient for the CO to use one of his available order to "activate" a platoon leader so he orders his platoon around with his own stock of orders rather than order the units directly from HQ.

The idea was to have a goon play as one of the CO or NCOs, pretty similar to this..

What I mean to say is: Thanks Grey for showing how big of a clusterfuck this would be, and that better you than me. I'll go back to eating popcorn and watch the Soviets second guess themselves into defeat.

I have done these before, and I know the ropes, that's why I may come off as being a little harsh when reacting to mistakes - I'm putting in orders for both sides, some of which are not as clear as the writer thinks, and I am going to foul up at least one thing a turn. The thing is, people should see this as fog of war - they already have more information than a real soldier, so the occasional order going wrong should be accepted, even if it does throw a plan into chaos.

One idea I'd like to try at some point is something similar to the way I ran Jutland - start off the forums, with all information coming through me, and people only getting what they can see and what they hear - I thought of using tabletop wargame rules for the base, and setting it around either the Napoleonic or American civil war, when battles are long, drawn out affairs and reinforcements matter.

I'd probably need a hand running it, and it would be a long affair - weeks or months - so I'm not sure how many people would be interested.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Would you be more interested in a miniature game or a boardgame? I think Red Winter could be a good choice for that, since the rules are fairly simple and everything comes pre-arranged into companies, battalions and regiments, there are rules for LoS and the rules can surprise people who aren't expecting certain things to happen. I could help you run that.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

-Goonheer First Mechanzied prepare their assault

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Fat Samurai posted:

Did you read the last attempt at LPing that game? It fell into the archives and that was disappointing because it was an interesting thread.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Execu-speak posted:

What do you mean, in retrospect?

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Yeah, as Triple A says, there was a great attempt at LPing Fields of Fire, unfortunately abandoned quite soon. Which is a same because it seemed like an amazing design - I'd love to have the game but then I probably wouldn't find the time (or table space) to run it. If you still consider LPing it in a true chain-of-command fashion, please please do it. :allears: Worst case scenario, it proves to be too much and you abandon the LP. It would be a shame not to try though. ;)

And it would actually be a much simpler LP than this one, since everyone would only play the same side against the game's "AI".

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Two more turns, where oh where will that artillery shell land?

Two more minutes tick by, and blood has been drawn.....

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

:tutbutt: :golgo:

I was waiting for the IS-2 to get a nice rear shot on the panzer parade...gonna be interesting how the Germans deal with it.

quickedit - I wonder if that Panther south of the river has clear shots on the T-34s in town. Can't tell exactly who has eyes on them.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

quote:

Also, Battalion HQ, rather than moving to CALL IN a barrage on G-6, is apparently ACTUALLY MOVING TO G-6, so kudos on leading from the front, Comrade Battalion Commander.

Hahaha.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Aw yiss, I'll freely admit I did a fistpump when that sweet rearshot happened. Complete and utter overkill of course, but that only makes it even better. I wonder if the IS-2 will get another shot at that force, maybe on that crossing somewhat north of where the first Panzer was killed.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

quote:

WTF is with all those spotting reports on the south edge of the map?

"They wouldn't have left half their infantry down around their spawn...would they?"

I do kind of wonder what that infantry company was supposed to do if the Russians *had* blitzed across the field with their tanks. I guess they've got Panzerfausts if the Russians tried to run over them but otherwise there's just the one Panther on overwatch. I guess its a bit of RTS mentality leaking in to 'protect the spawn.'

edit - There's going to be some capital D drama when the German thread realizes they're alone in the south.

Terrifying Effigies fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 12, 2014

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
So, how lucky was that IS shot? This seems like quite a serious range. Is a hit at such a distance likely or not?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Like, half the map is probably well within the range of these guns, especially for a rear shot like that.

This is the gun the IS-2 comes with:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/122_mm_gun_M1931/37_%28A-19%29
20km range, if they fancy (not for AT or accurate fire, obviously).

quote:

D-25T - tank gun variant (T stands for tankovaya, ‘tank’ adj.) . In the last days of November 1943, Fyodor Petrov's artillery design team tried the D-25 122mm corps gun on a mounting used for the D-5T 85mm tank gun against a captured German Panther tank.[15] Tests took place in the Kubinka proving grounds (about 60 km west of Moscow). Firing from a distance of 1500 m, the round pierced the front glacis, made its way through the engine block and penetrated the rear plate too. After the overwhelming success of this trial, necessary adaptations were made during the following weeks, and the model was accepted as the D-25T on 31 December 1943. Production started immediately, to equip the IS-2 tank.

The turn went pretty much exactly as expected, ruskies getting shelled and a panzer getting hosed up because they left their flank right open.

Gonna be fun to see how they act when the :supaburn: dies down

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 12, 2014

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Bacarruda posted:

2 Kompanie can't expose itself as long as that IS-2 is covering the fords and the ridge. I'm planning on sending my panzerschrek team, some panzerfausts and a detachment of scouts to try and flank that IS-2. Platoon leaders, my intent is for 2 Kompanie to cross the river by Turns 10-15. Prepare accordingly.

Gotta admire that optimism.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I'm not asking about the range, the range is there easily. I'm asking about accuracy at such range.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Do you doubt the accuracy of the Soviet gunners, comrade? :ussr:

They had a easier target there, moving away from them in a straight line rather than sideways. No idea how the game calculates accuracy, crew training and so on. Maybe Grey can answer?

quote:

WTF is with all those spotting reports on the south edge of the map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
How threatening is the gunboat to the German stuff heading east along the southern edge of the map? Does it have LOF/accurate range?

• Locked thread