Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Skijump rocket motorcycles were pretty cool, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Psion posted:

Skijump rocket motorcycles were pretty cool, though.

Oh yeah, no denying that. VIII has some pretty good scenes and set-pieces and stuff.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

FinalGamer posted:

So basically they're exactly like FF7 fans :v: the teenage livejournal ones that is. Do people still use livejournal, god I'm old by internet standards.

Wikipedia posted:

As of November 2012, 39,663,771 accounts exist on LiveJournal, with 1,790,795 listed as "active in some way."[30] Of those users who provided their date of birth, the majority were in the 17–25 age group, with an exceptionally large group of 32-year-olds. Among the users specifying their gender in their profile, 45% of those accounts identified as male, and 55% as female. 20% of accounts did not specify a gender.[31]

LiveJournal is most popular in English-speaking countries (although there is a language selection feature), and the United States has by far the most LiveJournal users among users who choose to list a location. There is also a sizable Russian contingent. LiveJournal is the largest online community on the Runet, with about 45% of all entries in the Russian blogosphere.[32] According to Alexa Internet 50% of LiveJournal's audience is located in Russia.[4]

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

In the last two years Livejournal did enough loving with the site's code that everyone jumped ship to other social media (typically Tumblr) except for the most stubborn, the most devoted, and the Russians, half of which may or may not be spambots. So while a lot of English accounts are still around, very few are active and now it's basically a politics box for Russian users.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Pesky Splinter posted:

VIII's plot is basically a jumble of individual stories that, by themselves, would more than be sufficent for a narrative.
All together though; it's just a massive cluster-gently caress, as it jumps from "floating mercenary garden" to "time-travel witch" to "bland overbearing love story" and "rebels overthrowing future-tech empire" and back again.

There's no real feel of a natural progression of things.

The FF8 world always felt so abnormally empty to me, too. Even though it's no worse than any other JRPG of its time - it was a staple of the genre to have little isolated towns floating around in a big vast overworld. But FF8's detailed city backgrounds made it seem a lot more jarring than usual. Like it should be more modern and have a much more thickly populated world closer to our own, but then you step outside and that world just isn't there.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Bifauxnen posted:

The FF8 world always felt so abnormally empty to me, too. Even though it's no worse than any other JRPG of its time - it was a staple of the genre to have little isolated towns floating around in a big vast overworld. But FF8's detailed city backgrounds made it seem a lot more jarring than usual. Like it should be more modern and have a much more thickly populated world closer to our own, but then you step outside and that world just isn't there.

All this talk about FF8 makes me want to play it again. I do own it on steam, along with FF7 which this LP is making me want to play again....Hmm.
Edit: To respond to it being empty, it doesn't help when you can't even ACCESS the very few populated towns at the end of the game.

Silegna fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 9, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Play the first disc or two of 8, then stop and play something else. Best solution.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Pesky Splinter posted:

VIII's plot is basically a jumble of individual stories that, by themselves, would more than be sufficent for a narrative.
All together though; it's just a massive cluster-gently caress, as it jumps from "floating mercenary garden" to "time-travel witch" to "bland overbearing love story" and "rebels overthrowing future-tech empire" and back again.

There's no real feel of a natural progression of things.

Agreed. As a teenager I hated replaying VIII because I thought it didn't flow very well. But I loved the ending.

On the flip side, I really liked VII's progression but was confused by some of the plot points and the ending, so I almost never finished endgame/postgame stuff.

Now that I'm older and understand both games a bit better, I realize VII is the superior game in pretty much every way.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Bregor posted:

Agreed. As a teenager I hated replaying VIII because I thought it didn't flow very well. But I loved the ending.

On the flip side, I really liked VII's progression but was confused by some of the plot points and the ending, so I almost never finished endgame/postgame stuff.

Now that I'm older and understand both games a bit better, I realize VII is the superior game in pretty much every way.

Yes, it is. The plot is a bit strange, but it's a charming game. Though it hasn't aged well.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Bifauxnen posted:

It looks semi-coherent for the first disc and a half, where everything is connected by roads and railways. Then once you get to pilot the Garden, you get to Shumi and Trabia and wonder how the people there get anywhere.

Especially considering Selphie's dress code.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

It looks semi-coherent for the first disc and a half, where everything is connected by roads and railways. Then once you get to pilot the Garden, you get to Shumi and Trabia and wonder how the people there get anywhere.

Especially considering Selphie's dress code.

Isn't selphie the one who can't be rotated on her Z axis because of her outfit?
I don't get that she is NOT cold up in Trabia dressed in Overalls and a skirt.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
But it is nice when you get to Esthar and see a proper-sized city that fills half a continent. You don't even have to pretend that there's a thousand houses just off-screen like you do in places like Galbadia.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

I have the same problem with VIII as you all do with the world feeling lifeless and small and the multiple plotlines that never thread together in a cohesive, satisfying way. The disparity between Gardens and their countries are jarring, Balamb is ridiculous and Trabia doesn't even get a town. Even Esthar feels empty as hell, it is like 4 screens of running on an elevated road in front of a background of blue, sterile skyscrapers with no other movement and almost no people. Even the goddamn shopping mall is just a few computer kiosks as opposed to Wall Market. Actually walking around the whole place is a fraction of the size of Midgar's train tunnels, and if you count the NPCs in the train sequences Esthar has even less interaction and characterization going on, let alone compared to the whole of Midgar-- and Esthar is as big as it gets. It fills up the world map some, sure, but at least you can enter some of the houses in Galbadia.

VII's towns make sense in the context of Shinra's domination; they aren't designated as being entire countries as they are in VIII. Everywhere in the world the locals got used up and poo poo out, or became a tourist destination, and often both. Evidence that there used to be more to these places and they are now insignificant and depressed helps the story rather than detracts from it, especially in regards to Wutai, the slums, Corel, and Gongaga. And at the end you can go back to all of those places and talk to those individuals to finish subplots and see how they are responding to events, they aren't just magically off limits forever.

IX did a pretty great job with its cities and making its countries feel like real countries, Burmecia withstanding, though it still went and made most places off limits towards the end.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

It's kind of funny because FF8 is sort of set in a post-apocalyptic world, but good job reading the datalogs if you caught that before the final plot dump. Maybe it wouldn't feel so jarring if they bothered to explain the world a bit, because honestly the parts of the world map that aren't supposed to be exploded by monsters aren't that bad.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

BioMe posted:

It's kind of funny because FF8 is sort of set in a post-apocalyptic world, but good job reading the datalogs if you caught that before the final plot dump. Maybe it wouldn't feel so jarring if they bothered to explain the world a bit, because honestly the parts of the world map that aren't supposed to be exploded by monsters aren't that bad.

And everyone is so stylish. And there doesn't seem to be any real scarcity of resources. And most of the towns seem pretty cheerful (if empty). Honestly, even the battle cutscenes in that game didn't seem terribly war-like. Everything was so sterile. Even the Garden battle seemed really... not-urgent. Maybe that's why it took me seven years and five restarts to finish that game... nothing seemed important. <generic bitching about Squall's attitude here>

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned thevoiceofdog's LP stream of FF8, including thevoiceofdog, assuming he's viewing this thread. It's even finished and everything.

So, yeah.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Old JRPG towns are small due to a plethora of reasons. Some of them:

Technically:

1) Memory limitation.

2) Rendering limitation (for 3D games mostly).

Design-wise:

3) Easier on the player's brain to memorize a few landmarks and the city layout. Less clutter.

4) Layouts can be more intuitive. You don't need to look for something. Just look at the BG screen you're at and you'll probably see a building with a weapon sign, there's your weapon seller.

5) If you make a really small town most people will notice it but they'll understand the town is a representation of something bigger. If you try to go realistic and fail at conveying a real-size town things will look and feel very, very awkward.

All these go very well with each other and thus you have tiny "towns" made of 3-4 buildings. 5) has plenty of workarounds - FF8 tried to implement some by making you see only certain parts of the cities, take taxis to other districts, etc.

It's very hard to implement big cities in games without making them feel very fatiguing.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
The approach taken in eg Xenogears works pretty well - city map with small regions you can enter.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I thought FF9 did an excellent job making gigantic cities that feel alive, while realistically only being six or seven screens big for the most part.

12 also had big cities, but they were a pain more than anything, because they were just gigantic messes you navigated to reach the next goal with nothing to actually do in them, as opposed to being used as a dungeon of sorts, is the FF9 towns.

Minera fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 11, 2014

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

If you look at the maps for cities in 12, you'll see that they are all just small corridors with no particular point to them.

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards Checkmate

Attitude Indicator posted:

If you look at the maps for cities in 12, you'll see that they are all just small corridors with no particular point to them.

If you look at your surroundings in 12, you'll see that the corridors are made to look like bustling city streets with lots of shops and residences, whether you can go into every door or not. I agree that they're a bit large and tedious, but most RPG cities are either ovals or corridors with shops stuck to the side, if you just look at the map. I, personally, felt that 12 did a decent job of making cities feel like cities.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

TravBot posted:

If you look at your surroundings in 12, you'll see that the corridors are made to look like bustling city streets with lots of shops and residences, whether you can go into every door or not. I agree that they're a bit large and tedious, but most RPG cities are either ovals or corridors with shops stuck to the side, if you just look at the map. I, personally, felt that 12 did a decent job of making cities feel like cities.

Yeah, it seems like they did fill them up with as much NPCs as possible, even if the majority are non-interactable (and quite a few are)

Attitude Indicator posted:

Patently false.

And on those where it does look corridorish it's alleviated by good, consistent art direction.

The only village/town that is a single unbroken set of corridors is Eruyt Village (where the viera are) and yet still the place is really quite gorgeous.

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards Checkmate

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah, it seems like they did fill them up with as much NPCs as possible, even if the majority are non-interactable (and quite a few are)

And that was one of my favorite decisions of theirs. Who walks around a city and speaks to literally everybody and expects to get a response? Most people wouldn't give you the time of day, and I'm sure this would be true in fantasy settings too.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TravBot posted:

And that was one of my favorite decisions of theirs. Who walks around a city and speaks to literally everybody and expects to get a response? Most people wouldn't give you the time of day, and I'm sure this would be true in fantasy settings too.

I can kind of justify it in worlds where adventurer types are few and far between. Everyone wants you to fetch quest for them cause no one else can do it.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Patently false.

And on those where it does look corridorish it's alleviated by good, consistent art direction.

The only village/town that is a single unbroken set of corridors is Eruyt Village (where the viera are) and yet still the place is really quite gorgeous.

Eh, theyre not linear, but still mostly corridors. all the cities in 12 felt very cramped, like the whole place was back-allyes. that was my impression of it anyway, but I haven't played it since release.

Art direction was pretty good yeah

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Elentor posted:

Old JRPG towns are small due to a plethora of reasons.

Yes, I can't possibly imagine a place like Vivec in a JRPG.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Even Vivec is tiny compared to Daggerfall. But then again, almost every single house there was a hollow cardboard box with no interactivity or features. And the city was entirely flat.

But it was big!

*EDIT*
That is, Daggerfall in the game Daggerfall was huge. Didn't play teso but it's probably about a dozen buildings and an auction house in that game.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

waah posted:

Yes, I can't possibly imagine a place like Vivec in a JRPG.

My first thought was Balmora. Vivec is probably the most JRPG-like place in Morrowind. All the Cantons would make it like a larger Beginner's hall from Sector 7, with lots of people and shops just on different floors. It's just missing a two-tone demi-God in the basement.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

A JRPG with a town like the one in the Quest for Glory 2 would be hilarious to watch.
FYI, QfG2 is a game where you're told that to buy the town map (for fast travel) you need to change you money at the money changer. The money changer is on the other side of the city and you get there following the map seller's directions like "at the next right turn turn left". You get your currency changed and suddenly realize that you need to get back to the starting point. After you eventually make it there, that simple map is like a drop of water in the desert.

Then, there's the starting town in Ishar 3.

And on the less insane side of the scale there's Tarant.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Weavered posted:

My first thought was Balmora. Vivec is probably the most JRPG-like place in Morrowind. All the Cantons would make it like a larger Beginner's hall from Sector 7, with lots of people and shops just on different floors. It's just missing a two-tone demi-God in the basement.

Which one was the one with the giant crab shell, cause that was the coolest city with the coolest dudes (it was Ald'run). The city on the Northeast coast (Sadrith Mora) felt the most like a JRPG town to me with it built around a giant mushshroom. To me it had that Guadosalam (from FFX) feel to it. However Gus Hobbleton is right, Vivec is probably more like Midgar than I first thought. It existed to be big. But Midgar had more character. Vivec just had hundreds of doors for you to open so you could steal everyone's pottery to sell.

Of course now I am dangerously close to wanting to reinstall Morrowind.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Why would you ever uninstall Morrowind?

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
I'm probably going to get hate for this, but I really don't like the Morrowind games. I personally feel like they take open-world too far and use it as an excuse to disregard designing around pacing. I understand a lot of people like them for a variety of reasons, but I really dislike them for my own.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
There is only one Morrowind game, although it had two expansions. :confused:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Minrad posted:

I thought FF9 did an excellent job making gigantic cities that feel alive, while realistically only being six or seven screens big for the most part.

12 also had big cities, but they were a pain more than anything, because they were just gigantic messes you navigated to reach the next goal with nothing to actually do in them, as opposed to being used as a dungeon of sorts, is the FF9 towns.

Arcadia still haunts me to this day.

It seems like it's almost inevitable that a game's largest city will also have a tedious mandatory fetch quest requiring you to hunt down specific NPCs.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

A JRPG with a town like the one in the Quest for Glory 2 would be hilarious to watch.
FYI, QfG2 is a game where you're told that to buy the town map (for fast travel) you need to change you money at the money changer. The money changer is on the other side of the city and you get there following the map seller's directions like "at the next right turn turn left". You get your currency changed and suddenly realize that you need to get back to the starting point. After you eventually make it there, that simple map is like a drop of water in the desert.

Then, there's the starting town in Ishar 3.

And on the less insane side of the scale there's Tarant.

That was pretty much the copy protection for qfg2 though, the game came with a physical map with street names and you were told the street the money seller lives on.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

This discussion reminded me of something I've been trying to get down for a while, for whatever weird obsessive reason.

Can someone help me complete a list of RPGs that feature cool industrial/high tech cities? Here's what I've got so far (i.e. what I've played, basically.)

FF VI
Chrono Trigger (Counting kingdom of Zeal although that's questionable)
FF VII, of course
FF VIII
FF XI (Lindblum)
Star Ocean 2
Saga Frontier
Phantasy Star II
Xenogears
FF X (Bevelle)
FFXII
Shin Megami Tensei II
Lost Odyssey

As you can see, I'm a child of the 32-bit era. I haven't listed anything that I haven't played. I know FFXIII has a setting that falls within this category, but that's pretty much it as far as a game I know about that I haven't played. And XIII doesn't really let the player explore those city areas, does it?

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

This discussion reminded me of something I've been trying to get down for a while, for whatever weird obsessive reason.

Can someone help me complete a list of RPGs that feature cool industrial/high tech cities? Here's what I've got so far (i.e. what I've played, basically.)

FF VI
Chrono Trigger (Counting kingdom of Zeal although that's questionable)
FF VII, of course
FF VIII
FF XI (Lindblum)
Star Ocean 2
Saga Frontier
Phantasy Star II
Xenogears
FF X (Bevelle)
FFXII
Shin Megami Tensei II
Lost Odyssey

As you can see, I'm a child of the 32-bit era. I haven't listed anything that I haven't played. I know FFXIII has a setting that falls within this category, but that's pretty much it as far as a game I know about that I haven't played. And XIII doesn't really let the player explore those city areas, does it?

Dark Cloud 2 for the PS2 had future versions of every town you rebuilt in the present time.
Not RPGs, but Snatcher, Blade Runner and Beneath a Steel Sky are all adventure games where you can explore at least a portion of their respective industrial/future cities.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
FFXIII really doesn't let you explore much, no. It's very pretty at least? You might at least see some neat design. XIII-2 is a little less railroaded and has some cool high-tech cityscape.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Resonance of Fate is entirely set in a decaying city of gears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Can someone help me complete a list of RPGs that feature cool industrial/high tech cities? Here's what I've got so far (i.e. what I've played, basically.) ...

A complete list would probably be hundreds of titles.

Breath of Fire V is what comes to mind for me, especially since a couple pages back we had a giant discussion about that series. The entire game takes place in a decaying high-tech underground complex -- where the driving goal of the protagonists is to get to the surface.

• Locked thread