Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Worst ball scramble would destroy me mentally I think. I'd make it through like 3 holes and just fall apart.

That round I got for cheap on golfnow turned out great. For some reason I was teeing off by myself despite the golfnow reservation being restricted to only 1 person; I figured I'd be paired up with a threesome but the guy at the clubhouse said I was by myself. Still ended up playing the back nine with a threesome I caught up to since it was crowded but played well and really enjoyed the course. It played at ~6200 yards and has a more interesting layout than most places in the area, and it was in amazing shape. I didn't keep a score card but I know I had three birdies, four double bogeys and the rest was all pars and bogeys so I was somewhere in the mid 80s. The longer layout (relative to my home course) actually favored me because I usually had full swings with wedges or 7-9 irons on my approach shots instead of little 10-50 yard chips which I'm still pretty awful at. I'm already looking forward to the next time I see that course for so cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Oh look my exact swing problem: http://montescheinblum.com/blog/2013/09/27/a-full-turn-and-reverse-tilt/

Super helpful video.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010
Yup, I have a feeling Monte is going to have a few PGA guys following him sooner than later. Guy knows his stuff.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Watching that video made me realize how incredibly screwed up my swing is. It wasn't even the issue he was addressing, but my I'm getting way too much weight on my left leg early on, and my right shoulder is way closer to my left foot than my right at the turn. What a mess!

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Trip report.

Went out and played today. I shot 79; the course was around 7150, but it's mostly downhill. It could have been a 74 with a few minor differences. I caught a few bad breaks off the tee where I just barely hit it into the trees and had to punch out. Definitely an improvement from my off the planet slice though. Zero three putts, quite a few one putts, good chipping, good irons except for two lazy swings.

My driver was better, but not a lot better. I ended up pulling quite a few today--probably because I actually put myself in a position where I can clear my arms without jumping up. It still feels weird at the top, but I think that'll go away with time.

The main change I made was feeling like I hinged my wrists, THEN turned my shoulders. It made a pretty huge difference; I didn't hit a single slice. My mishits were almost entirely due to failing to turn through the ball, which is understandable given my previous swing (if you actually turn your hips through when you're super laid off, you'll probably shank it or chunk it). I'm going to keep that swing thought going and see whether my upper and lower body sync up.

I'm playing again tomorrow, so we'll see if I stay slice free.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kameh posted:

Make a birdie? Better make that putt again, or it doesn't count.

This sounds like fantastic, but incredibly stressful, practice. I'm gonna have to give this a go sometime.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

DJExile posted:

This sounds like fantastic, but incredibly stressful, practice. I'm gonna have to give this a go sometime.

It really is. Even playing by yourself, putts are more nerve wracking than you could imagine. I play a few tracks that will no longer be birdie fests.

Sour Grapes
Dec 29, 2002

All you kids out there...
Swing feedback time;

Here are a bunch of driver swings at different speeds, here is a typical driver swingbyte, and a 7 iron that I don't have any video for. I tend to hit a L-R cut on my driver that turns into a nasty slice if I try to juice it or get lazy (or sometimes just for no reason at all). I think I need to work on releasing my arms at impact as my right arm tends to look bent or pulled in on video which might explain the added lie angle on all of my swings.

Thoughts?

Sour Grapes fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 13, 2014

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Is -6 AoA with driver typical for you? Getting that closer to 0 or positive would give you more distance without having to swing any faster. It also looks like your downswing is a lot steeper than your takeaway which is the opposite of what most people want

Have you tested your swing speed on any other launch monitor or simulator by the way? I have a swingbyte 2 but I'm not sure how accurate some of its numbers are since my real world distances don't always jive with what swingbyte is showing.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 13, 2014

Sour Grapes
Dec 29, 2002

Suprfli6 posted:

Is -6 AoA with driver typical for you? Getting that closer to 0 or positive would give you more distance without having to swing any faster. It also looks like your downswing is a lot steeper than your takeaway which is the opposite of what most people want

Have you tested your swing speed on any other launch monitor or simulator by the way? I have a swingbyte 2 but I'm not sure how accurate some of its numbers are since my real world distances don't always jive with what swingbyte is showing.

6° or more down is typical, I've been working on making my swing plane more shallow and, believe it or not, this is loads better than it was.

The only other launch monitor I've been on is the trackman at Golftown, but not with my own clubs and not in a setting where I could seriously pay attention to my numbers, plus they have it set up indoors which I've heard reduces the accuracy.

E: swingbyte blog post indicates AoA generally reads 1 minute (6°) steeper than radar systems. (http://blog.swingbyte.com/post/53871419831/how-to-test-swingbyte-vs-radar-based-systems)

Sour Grapes fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 14, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sour Grapes posted:

Swing feedback time;

Here are a bunch of driver swings at different speeds, here is a typical driver swingbyte, and a 7 iron that I don't have any video for. I tend to hit a L-R cut on my driver that turns into a nasty slice if I try to juice it or get lazy (or sometimes just for no reason at all). I think I need to work on releasing my arms at impact as my right arm tends to look bent or pulled in on video which might explain the added lie angle on all of my swings.

Thoughts?
Your grip is way too strong. Normally this promotes a draw/hook, but you're fighting that by 1) holding the face open and releasing the club early, and 2) getting ahead of the club, leading to your overly steep AoA. Try for a more neutral grip, but understand it will affect your swing as a whole. While doing this, try to get your shoulders aligned like the rest of your body. They're currently open.

Your club gets really far behind you on the backswing, resulting in your right elbow getting disconnected from your body. The typical drill for this is to trap a headcover under your right armpit throughout the swing.

Did you play baseball? Your swing has all the hallmarks of a baseball convert.

Sour Grapes
Dec 29, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

Your grip is way too strong. Normally this promotes a draw/hook, but you're fighting that by 1) holding the face open and releasing the club early, and 2) getting ahead of the club, leading to your overly steep AoA. Try for a more neutral grip, but understand it will affect your swing as a whole. While doing this, try to get your shoulders aligned like the rest of your body. They're currently open.

Your club gets really far behind you on the backswing, resulting in your right elbow getting disconnected from your body. The typical drill for this is to trap a headcover under your right armpit throughout the swing.

Did you play baseball? Your swing has all the hallmarks of a baseball convert.

Hmmm... the strong grip was actually an adjustment to combat the really, really bad slice. I'll mess around with the alignment and timing at the range and see what I come up with.

I've done the headcover drill before, but I'll get back on it to keep that elbow from creeping up.

More hockey than anything else, but probably some baseball in that swing as well.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Sour Grapes posted:

Hmmm... the strong grip was actually an adjustment to combat the really, really bad slice.

A neutral grip should in fact allow you to rotate your wrists much quicker and therefore allow you to square the club with greater ease (and control)

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Holy poo poo, we did 36 holes Saturday for my friend's bachelor party at Peek n Peak, the nicest place in a short distance from us , followed by excessive alcohol consumption at our local brewery. The upper course , for a hundred bucks, will probably be the most expensive round I play this year , but holy poo poo was it gorgeous.

The lower course seemed like a ghetto by comparison, but it was also quite a nice place to play, for half the price.

I'm quite satisfied with the result, too. As a 2nd year and terrible golfer, a 108 on the upper "professional level, unforgiving" course is a solid accomplishment.

My problem with the entire day, is that after doing 36, my left hand is pulsing with pain. It might have something to do with having carpal tunnel, and the fact that I have to expend a lot of additional effort to hold the club straight through the swing with my 3 "boss" fingers in my left hand. I even still flub at least 3 shots a round where I let that hand a little bit too loose, and the face rotates mid-swing and just ruins my stroke.

Does anyone else golf with carpal tunnel and have similar issues? I suppose in the grand scheme of things it's not a horrible deal, since I can do 18 in a day just fine.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 14, 2014

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Nerdrock posted:

Holy poo poo, we did 36 holes Saturday for my friend's bachelor party at Peek n Peak, the nicest place in a short distance from us , followed by excessive alcohol consumption at our local brewery. The upper course , for a hundred bucks, will probably be the most expensive round I play this year , but holy poo poo was it gorgeous.

The lower course seemed like a ghetto by comparison, but it was also quite a nice place to play, for half the price.

I'm quite satisfied with the result, too. As a 2nd year and terrible golfer, a 108 on the upper "professional level, unforgiving" course is a solid accomplishment.

My problem with the entire day, is that after doing 36, my left hand is pulsing with pain. It might have something to do with having carpal tunnel, and the fact that I have to expend a lot of additional effort to hold the club straight through the swing with my 3 "boss" fingers in my left hand. I even still flub at least 3 shots a round where I let that hand a little bit too loose, and the face rotates mid-swing and just ruins my stroke.

Does anyone else golf with carpal tunnel and have similar issues? I suppose in the grand scheme of things it's not a horrible deal, since I can do 18 in a day just fine.

Hand stretches work well. Before I leave the house I roll my wrist on a plastic tube and when I get to the course I hold my arms out and bring my wrists up and down slowly. Honestly, being 28 it's embarrassing to run through a stretch routine for something like golf, but here we are...

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Well, I probably shot like 110 today. I stopped keeping score after the 12th hole. I think the bad round was a combination of getting there too early (I misjudged how early I needed to leave and got to the course like 1.5 hours early) and overthinking things. Every transition I made felt awful, and I'm not sure how much of that was due to bad play and how much was due to a proper transition just feeling weird.

Ugh, gently caress you golf you're so difficult sometimes.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sour Grapes posted:

Hmmm... the strong grip was actually an adjustment to combat the really, really bad slice. I'll mess around with the alignment and timing at the range and see what I come up with.

I've done the headcover drill before, but I'll get back on it to keep that elbow from creeping up.

More hockey than anything else, but probably some baseball in that swing as well.
A slightly stronger grip can help if you naturally underrotate the clubface a little, but a slice is the result of larger swing flaws that a grip change cannot and should not be used to fix.

Go with a neutral grip, learn to release the club, and you'll play better golf in the long term. I don't know much about hockey, but I suspect the standard shooting motion doesn't include much of a golf release movement.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

A slightly stronger grip can help if you naturally underrotate the clubface a little, but a slice is the result of larger swing flaws that a grip change cannot and should not be used to fix.

Go with a neutral grip, learn to release the club, and you'll play better golf in the long term. I don't know much about hockey, but I suspect the standard shooting motion doesn't include much of a golf release movement.

A wrist shot is actually pretty close as far as releases go, which is why hockey players tend to (generally) pick up golf quickly.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

zinc68 posted:

A wrist shot is actually pretty close as far as releases go, which is why hockey players tend to (generally) pick up golf quickly.
As I said, I don't know much about hockey, but from this video, it looks like he doesn't "release" the stick until well after impact.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1HUUJxZtJU

Sour Grapes may be accustomed to the same holding off motion when we want him to start the action earlier.

Right shoulder is a little high and there's a bit of the hold off I was talking about, but it's generally a good impact position. He has the athleticism and physique to do much better than the 103 mph reported by Swingbyte. A more neutral grip and improved sequencing will produce gains in both swing speed and accuracy.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 14, 2014

Sour Grapes
Dec 29, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

As I said, I don't know much about hockey, but from this video, it looks like he doesn't "release" the stick until well after impact.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1HUUJxZtJU

Sour Grapes may be accustomed to the same holding off motion when we want him to start the action earlier.

Right shoulder is a little high and there's a bit of the hold off I was talking about, but it's generally a good impact position. He has the athleticism and physique to do much better than the 103 mph reported by Swingbyte. A more neutral grip and improved sequencing will produce gains in both swing speed and accuracy.

Any drill recommendations aside from the towel 'pinch' and modifying the grip?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Golf shoes? ...also go mimic what (in one's head) must look like Jim Furyk's swing at the range for an hour and go "out to in" instead of "in to out" and watch that slice magically disappear regardless of grip.

Or do the following drill: Set up to hit your shot, now pretend some horrible person you despise is standing at around your 2 o'clock then during your nice and smooth takeaway, smash that club right into their mouth and then drop the club back in towards you and fire away. After a while you don't notice it and start hitting draws.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 14, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Keyser S0ze posted:

Golf shoes?

hahaha I was thinking the same thing

Sour Grapes
Dec 29, 2002

Sorry guys, if you wear golf shoes and the rest of your kit to the range you are a loving nerd (exceptions made for ranges attached to nice courses).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Man at least wear some tennis shoes. that just seems like a good way to roll your ankle or something

E: you know come to think of it, maybe you're on to something. A lot more shoes these days like the M Project and others are basically meant to feel almost barefoot.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 14, 2014

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
only this guy is allowed to go barefoot at the range.

>

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

god drat I love bubba

Sour Grapes
Dec 29, 2002

If you roll your ankle barefoot you're probably going to roll it in tennis shoes too.

Kaiser Sose; you're suggesting I use an outside takeaway? Why not just practice laying the club down at the top?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
your backswing goes inside immediately, if you exaggerate it out during practice it squares it up and you hit it straighter/draw without having to fuss around at the top.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Wife has asked if I would be interested in going to a 3 or 4 day golf school (HELL YES I AM INTERESTED) as an anniversary gift. Has anyone ever taken part of one of these? Thoughts? Did it really improve your game? Getting immersed with instruction for a few days sounds awesome. Part of me thinks I should just call up the guy I've worked with in the past and throw money at him for a few days and sleep in my own bed. Well poo poo. He moved to Oregon.

FWIW, I'm about an 18-20 hcp or so that's got a fairly decent swing (and a really good putter that saves me from posting really bad scores) but prone to breakdown every couple of holes that sends my round soaring. Mostly I need consistency; not to say that my swing couldn't stand improving.

Tide fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 14, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

British Open thread is up! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3650639

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't know much about hockey, but I suspect the standard shooting motion doesn't include much of a golf release movement.

I had a similar problem with under releasing the club and while it doesn't seem to affect my irons, it does promote a big slice with my driver. I grew up playing hockey and that's exactly why. A wrist shot in hockey does include a release, but a snap or slap shot does not. Most guys I know who play hockey are naturally pretty decent golfers but they all need to learn how to release well after years of only doing it "sometimes".

When I sussed out the issue, I began working diligently on release drills and it has paid huge dividends. My release on a drive used to look like Sour Grapes' - i.e pretty non-existent where it matters.

Grapes if you work on release you will get the slice under control - initially you're going to hit the ball left instead, as you learn the right timing. If it helps I focus on just ensuring I release after I hit the ball and don't worry about trying to roll into it before contact. You'll naturally roll into it before contact with this thought in your head and the timing is easier that way. It's worked pretty loving well.

Saltin fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 14, 2014

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

I was at the John Deere on Sat/Sun and I have to say that of all the live sporting events I have seen, TV does PGA tour pros the least amount of justice. Standing 5 feet away when one of those guys hits driver is one of the most impressive things I have ever seen.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Started on the 10th hole by myself, played like hell, made the turn at the 1st and grouped up with an old dude that I could just bullshit and have a good time with, finished strong.

86, man. Best round to date so far. Gotta keep the momentum going.

Also maybe hit a first putt cause god drat.

EnsGDT fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jul 15, 2014

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

ironlung posted:

I was at the John Deere on Sat/Sun and I have to say that of all the live sporting events I have seen, TV does PGA tour pros the least amount of justice. Standing 5 feet away when one of those guys hits driver is one of the most impressive things I have ever seen.

Were you watching Brian Harman? I looked up the driver he was using simply because of the awesome sound it made every time he smashed it!

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Halo14 posted:

Were you watching Brian Harman? I looked up the driver he was using simply because of the awesome sound it made every time he smashed it!

Yeah we were all over the place. My dad's college buddy is a member at TPC Deere Run so we had access to every skybox and the clubhouse. We followed Harman and Sticker for a few holes on the back 9 on Sunday (including the par 3 where Stricker doubled) and then we posted up at the skybox on 17 and watched the final groups come in because it's a great vantage point, you can see 15, 17, and 18 from there. We also spent a bunch of time at the practice tee, Jhonattan Vegas has the smoothest most effortlessly powerful swing I saw all week.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Halo14 posted:

JetSpeed is a great driver and fits 90% of golfers better than SLDR. Unfortunately, TM blew their load on SLDR marketing and the JetSpeed was left to die, even though almost all their LPGA staff use it and NONE use the SLDR.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

So does the Jetspeed have a center of gravity that's further back than SLDR so it's not so unforgiving but probably also a bit higher spinning?

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
I hit the jetspeed at the shop the other day and everything about it felt right. Now if I can find the money.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

So does the Jetspeed have a center of gravity that's further back than SLDR so it's not so unforgiving but probably also a bit higher spinning?
Yes. JetSpeed CG is not nearly as aggressive as SLDR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

ironlung posted:

Yeah we were all over the place. My dad's college buddy is a member at TPC Deere Run so we had access to every skybox and the clubhouse. We followed Harman and Sticker for a few holes on the back 9 on Sunday (including the par 3 where Stricker doubled) and then we posted up at the skybox on 17 and watched the final groups come in because it's a great vantage point, you can see 15, 17, and 18 from there. We also spent a bunch of time at the practice tee, Jhonattan Vegas has the smoothest most effortlessly powerful swing I saw all week.

That's awesome. Did you see when Stricker took an unplayable and trudged all the way up to the teebox with his caddy & cameraman in tow? I couldn't stop laughing. Of course he sunk the putt for a par...

Yeah I'm tempted to get a JetSpeed driver. Seen them on Ebay for ~$160. Thing is I bought an R11 for $50 from a friend recently and I can't justify the expense.

• Locked thread