Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

amanasleep posted:

The current build of Long War, Beta 13, is in feature lock with only bugfixes to come. It is quite stable and the last round of features and balancing introduced in Beta 10-12 is awesome.

Major improvements:

1. Air war balancing has finally come into focus. The addition of Aggressive/Neutral/Defensive stances makes a huge difference for player agency in managing early combat. There are a huge number of incremental upgrades for interceptors, some of which can be rushed. Bottom line is it feels much less random now and there are multiple viable air strategies (example: Armored Fighters + UFO Countermeasures + Aggressive Stance lets you take out bigger UFOs with weaker weapons which lets you skip lasers for Gauss if you wish).

2. All the new guns are amazing and give meaningful tactical differences on loadouts:

A) Battle Rifle: High Damage, ammo and crit, lower accuracy and mobility. Fits right between a Shotgun and Assault Rifle, and in the right hands can be better than either. Great on Infantry and Assaults.
B) Assault Rifle: Still vanilla, still useful when shooting at range because many of the other guns don't do enough damage.
C) Assault Carbine: Lower damage and crit, higher mobility and aim. Wonderful for utility, training rookies, on Rocketeers, for flanking, etc. Probably the default weapon over the AR now, but still not dominant.
D) SMG: Carbine damage, with no crit or aim, low ammo, plus crazy mobility. Great option for many support units.
E) Sawed-off Shotgun: 1 tile range, Shotgun damage, -1 mobility, pistol slot: Wonderful addition, allows many flexible loadouts to include close-range lethality.
F) Machine Pistol: SMG damage in the pistol slot, -1 mobility. All pistols have aim penalties at range. SMG is great for operatives, Infantry, and other units that run out of ammo.
G) Strike/Marksman's Rifle: Lower crit Sniper Rifle with Snapshot penalty on move, and limited squadsight to 5 tiles. Very useful.
H) LMG: Limited Squadsight move-restricted Heavy gun for Gunners only. High damage and ammo, low crit. Only weapon that is difficult to use currently because Gunners do not have pistol slot, can't Steady Weapon, so they often don't have a good action to take after moving with this. With enemies at the proper range this thing is a monster though. Suppressing from beyond sight range can be very powerful. The basic SAW that is not move restricted is usually the better choice though. Does Battle Rifle damage with no aim penalty.

3. The 5 weapon tiers have good separation now:

A) Ballistics: Lots of tactical enhancements to boost damage and properties allowing a path that skips lasers.
B) Beam Lasers: +1 damage and +7 aim over Ballistics. Very solid upgrade but misses great Ballistic enhancements. Tough choice.
C) Gauss: +2 damage over Ballistics but no aim bonus. Sniper rifle variant has built in HEAT ammo. Compatible with Ballistics upgrades so overall very powerful with the right research and support tech.
D) Pulse Lasers: +3 damage over Ballistics and crit bonus instead of aim bonus. Really effective by the time you get it since high level soldiers have great aim but crit boost increases damage.
E) Plasma: Best overall damage, but very expensive to get.

4. Mission loadout screen tells you the type of map before you lift off. This is huge, as you can now tailor troop selection/loadouts to the mission.

5. Units on overwatch (including ALIENS) get an icon in tactical. THIS REVOLUTIONIZES THE GAME.

6. Every time a soldier makes a panic check, the actual roll and result pops up above the soldier.

7. You can get Collateral Damage as a Psi ability. loving Mind Bullets, y'all.

If you have been putting off trying LW because of stability concerns, or were turned off by the bugs/balance of earlier Betas, now is a good time to try it out/again.

Jade should blind LP Long War after the regular series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

ZenVulgarity posted:

Jade should blind LP Long War after the regular series.

A 18 hour stream of a Long War blind run you say? :v:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Finn Terne shall never receive a full X-COM wage, as she shall remain Unpaid.

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug
X-COM's always been about the.. Terne-based combat.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
If Long War was a shitload of Second Wave-y options you could turn on and off I'd probably give it a shot. But as is it's a blanket load of changes, some I consider good or very good, but a lot of which I consider unnecessary or outright detrimental to the game, and as an all-or-nothing package deal, I'd rather not deal with the stuff I don't like just for the things I do.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

MarquiseMindfang posted:

If Long War was a shitload of Second Wave-y options you could turn on and off I'd probably give it a shot. But as is it's a blanket load of changes, some I consider good or very good, but a lot of which I consider unnecessary or outright detrimental to the game, and as an all-or-nothing package deal, I'd rather not deal with the stuff I don't like just for the things I do.

Almost all of the added mechanics are player-customizable in the easily accessible game files. Which mechanics offend you?

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

Cooked Auto posted:

A 18 hour stream of a Long War blind run you say? :v:

13 of them will be him melting his computer trying to install the mod.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

amanasleep posted:

Almost all of the added mechanics are player-customizable in the easily accessible game files. Which mechanics offend you?

The fatigued thing is dumb.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

amanasleep posted:

Which mechanics offend you?

pretty sure nobody is taking LW seriously enough to get offended at anything

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Mrit posted:

Physically present for two missions 96 hours apart? OFF TO THE HOSPITAL THEN, SEE YOU AFTER A WEEK IN THE ICU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Mrit posted:

It is.

And I don't like the massively expanded soldier classes, either. I was happy with the EW default five (MECs included), though could maybe get behind the 3 perk choices per tier thing if they were all unique to each class like in EW, and I would actively like more MEC suit upgrade options (three or four per tier), but that's about it.

Don't like the randomised Meld, the Arc Thrower, explosives, and Terror Mission changes, or Damage Reduction being cover-related (though I wouldn't mind it being an innate on some enemies like Sectopods, and I do like getting the Iron Skin genemod).

Not a fan of Officers as a concept. Medals were fine.

Don't like the change to Lightning Reflexes (the altered version might be okay as an alternate perk chooseable on the same rank as LR).

Dislike the removal of Ghost Armour.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Mrit posted:

Really disagree with that. It's very different from vanilla, but I think it adds a lot to the game. It forces you to keep a lot more soldiers which also makes it so that losing one or two doesn't hit you that bad. I mean I understand why you wouldn't like it, but I honestly think it isn't a pointless change.

I honestly used to dislike a lot of Long War changes because they were so different from the main game, but after giving it a shot I started liking it. The key to enjoying it is to just forget everything you knew about the game before, because it's honestly more of an expansion pack than EW was. It really changes a lot. But yeah I can see why people wouldn't enjoy it. The air war is also a bit bullshit, even if it got a lot better recently.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hopeford posted:

Really disagree with that. It's very different from vanilla, but I think it adds a lot to the game. It forces you to keep a lot more soldiers which also makes it so that losing one or two doesn't hit you that bad. I mean I understand why you wouldn't like it, but I honestly think it isn't a pointless change.

I honestly used to dislike a lot of Long War changes because they were so different from the main game, but after giving it a shot I started liking it. The key to enjoying it is to just forget everything you knew about the game before, because it's honestly more of an expansion pack than EW was. It really changes a lot. But yeah I can see why people wouldn't enjoy it. The air war is also a bit bullshit, even if it got a lot better recently.

I'm not sure this is a good thing.

Every soldier you have to keep track of is a step away from "poo poo, I just lost Roger 'Red' Redding! And after he pulled everybody's rear end out of the fire in Zaire, too." and a step towards "Oh. I just lost... eh. I can look it up on the memorial wall. If I still care by then."

One death is a tragedy, a million is a statistic and all.

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie

chiasaur11 posted:

Every soldier you have to keep track of is a step away from "poo poo, I just lost Roger 'Red' Redding! And after he pulled everybody's rear end out of the fire in Zaire, too." and a step towards "Oh. I just lost... eh. I can look it up on the memorial wall. If I still care by then."

I see you haven't played original XCOM then...

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

grimlock_master posted:

What?

Who the gently caress ever kept track of anyone in the original XCOM before they were a Captain? X-Com definitely does a better job of making you care about individual soldiers from the outset because it doesn't throw a billion of them at you and makes all of them a significant portion of your forces.

I literally could not even be bothered to check rookie stats in Original XCOM. Much like I couldn't in Long War because who the gently caress knows when you'll get to use them again? And who can keep track of forty interchangeable personality-less units when you can't even build a narrative around them because you're so saturated in missions?

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

grimlock_master posted:

I played a LOT of classic XCom.
Long War is trying to remake classic XCom by taking a lot of the bad parts from the classic and squeezing them into the new XCom.
Grognard micromanagement isn't my idea of fun. I like classic's depth, but not the poo poo I had to wade through to get to it.

Edit: But I would enjoy a Jade playthrough, for that same reason I like watching The Dark ID LP's.

Mrit fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 8, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Well at least you're honest about what you want: watching someone else suffer. :v:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Obliterati posted:

Broadly though the fact that LW prevents you from perfectly mathing your way through the game is in itself a vast improvement. If you want a game where you can completely eliminate risks :xcom: probably isn't the best candidate. Even with Lightning Reflexes now having a rather low fail chance the ability to draw four overwatch shots and get hit maybe once is much better than the one perfect miss because it opens up the whole field. Plus the most interesting thing about panic management isn't that it's harder to lose nations (although it is harder) it's that you can get them back (think this is in LW 10).

This last part, I agree with Jade from the 16 hour stream. Being able to get countries back, that's awesome. But then, why also make it harder to lose them?
Having it a pitched battle for countries would make it more interesting, and keep the global game somewhat of a challenge.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Veloxyll posted:

This last part, I agree with Jade from the 16 hour stream. Being able to get countries back, that's awesome. But then, why also make it harder to lose them?
Having it a pitched battle for countries would make it more interesting, and keep the global game somewhat of a challenge.

It's much easier to lose countries in Long War than in Vanilla.

I was watching Beagle stream it; he plays normal X-Com on Ironman Impossible and was playing Longwar on classic, lost 3 countries in the first few months. Being able to take them back is very useful.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 8, 2014

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Psion posted:

pretty sure nobody is taking LW seriously enough to get offended at anything

True, it's only 68,000 downloads so far, or 68,003 if you count Jake, Ananda, and Garth.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

chiasaur11 posted:

It doesn't force you to keep that many extra soldiers though. Plus you still do end up with "Star" soldiers, so if they die it really, really feels horrible. It sure as hell doesn't feel like that at first(rookies all have red shirts by default for a reason) but once you get a few hours into the game and notice how long it takes for soldiers to get promoted because of fatigue, losing a single guy can really, really hurt. You can still recover from it a lot more easily than from vanilla's losses, but keep in mind that with long war's system you are way more likely to lose a few guys.

But yeah, I wouldn't say it's a 'good' thing either. It's a different thing, and it's really fun to try it if you have replayed vanilla to death, but I probably prefer vanilla to it. It is different enough to be a ton of fun if you are bored as hell and have like, 40 hours to spare though. To be fair, I haven't ever finished a long war game, especially since they keep releasing new betas with new features. But at least as far as I've played, it's pretty fun.

Hopeford fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 8, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Long War just looks unbelievably tedious to me. There are a couple neat things it does but that's about it.

amanasleep posted:

True, it's only 68,000 downloads so far, or 68,003 if you count Jake, Ananda, and Garth.

Constantly releasing betas will do that.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

haha amanasleep isn't even worth replying to at this point having missed the point THAT badly. You're doing a potentially good mod a disservice.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Shut up about Long War.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Operation Drowned Buenos Aires

Polsy

A quick council mission that comes a little late in the game for council missions to pose any real danger. Instead this becomes a good opportunity to train our non maxed soldiers and play with some new gadgets. Since it wasn't a mission I was taking seriously, i brought along our good pal Skippy Granola this time.

Overdrive

Major Skill for MEC soldiers.

Overdrive is Bulletswarm for MECs. Shoot first, move later. Or shoot again. Or grenade. Or boosh. Whatever. It's a great skill all around and works well with the Sniper MECs aim bonus for shooting before moving. As the skill for Major, there is no alternative to pick from, so every MEC will have this skill if they live long enough. There isn't a lot to say about Overdrive that hasn't already been said for Bulletswarm, only this time there is no competing choice. It's a great skill, enjoy it.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Good to see you back

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

It'll be a long time before you bring out the super soldiers for the war effort. :c00lbert:

I always wished Exalt got past a certain point in the tech tree. Just like I wish some enemies like Thin Men improved over time.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
You know, when Skippy started talking about generations of RPG heroes I thought he was going for a Phantasy Star 3 reference, and was sad when that was not the case.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Jade Star posted:

Overdrive

Major Skill for MEC soldiers.

Overdrive is Bulletswarm for MECs. Shoot first, move later. Or shoot again. Or grenade. Or boosh. Whatever. It's a great skill all around and works well with the Sniper MECs aim bonus for shooting before moving. As the skill for Major, there is no alternative to pick from, so every MEC will have this skill if they live long enough. There isn't a lot to say about Overdrive that hasn't already been said for Bulletswarm, only this time there is no competing choice. It's a great skill, enjoy it.

Oh huh. You know, this just made me realize that it might not be a bad idea to mech your Covert Ops sniper once you've cleared out Exalt HQ since you'll probably have two other great snipers by then, and it'll give you a MEC with a huge Aim stat and probably pretty respectable will, since you will probably have Iron Will before you start raising your Covert Ops duder.

Also so glad that you went with "Unpaid"

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I like how that scientist just runs for the fence at the end of the video. gently caress the skyranger!

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Oh huh. You know, this just made me realize that it might not be a bad idea to mech your Covert Ops sniper once you've cleared out Exalt HQ since you'll probably have two other great snipers by then, and it'll give you a MEC with a huge Aim stat and probably pretty respectable will, since you will probably have Iron Will before you start raising your Covert Ops duder.

Also so glad that you went with "Unpaid"

This wouldn't be a bad idea.. but having put memetic skin on Finn is a 65 meld sink that would be a loss if we MEC her. Not sure how I feel about that since Meld is getting tight.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Jade- I asked for armor variant 2.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Dear god Skippy turn on at least one of the random stat things pronto. On a lark I decided to see what the game would be like without any second wave options and it's almost an effort to want to play the game now, because I cannot bring myself to care about anyone on my squad.

apostateCourier posted:

Jade- I asked for armor variant 2.

The Deco option resets to 1 every time you switch out armor. This is especially annoying on the sleeveless. Jade probably set you up right and then slapped the skeleton armor on.

Same thing happens to the voice value if you manually switch languages.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Jade Star posted:

This wouldn't be a bad idea.. but having put memetic skin on Finn is a 65 meld sink that would be a loss if we MEC her. Not sure how I feel about that since Meld is getting tight.

Think about it this way, once you're done with Covert Ops it would be wasted meld anyway, because you've already got Nittien and Whatshisname statted out to be the best normal snipers possible so Finne wouldn't be seeing action anyway.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Skippy Granola: Enforcing the Canadian Government's science 'policies'

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Starting to set a record for uses of "gives no fucks" in an LP.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Think about it this way, once you're done with Covert Ops it would be wasted meld anyway, because you've already got Nittien and Whatshisname statted out to be the best normal snipers possible so Finne wouldn't be seeing action anyway.

The Meld also starts pouring in once heavy floaters show up. I've gotten 55 Meld off a single map once (6 heavy floaters, 1 mechtoid). It's not like you'd MEC her before she hits Colonel (and you do the spoiler) anyway, so you've got time to get comfortable with your Meld supply.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Really, unless you're planning on taking 3 mech soldiers along for one mission, there's no reason not to since you can swap up their suits, can't you? (I wish you could name the suits, and the SHIVs and the interceptors.)

Or MEC a different sniper, I guess.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!
So...am I the only one who saw that one soldier's hideously thin neck in the skyranger? Or was that just a weird trick of the light?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I can 100% vouch for the 15 minutes of pre-commentary belching from Jade. It went from impressive to funny to me actually worrying for his health at this point.

• Locked thread