Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

TheAngryDrunk posted:

What's the best spray to use on cables to prevent chewing?

Sprays worked for some things with our chewer, but was never super effective with cables. These, however, have done the trick: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005V9UU1O/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_mZ9Vtb15GYNK2

Pizza barely even tries anymore, I think this stuff doesn't feel as satisfying for him to chew on. Some coverage with this combined with a bitter or spicy or citrus spray would probably help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I soak all the poo poo my cat chews in the bitter apple spray, I use it up fairly quick but after one taste she stays away from everything that has it.

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

Huntersoninski posted:

Sprays worked for some things with our chewer, but was never super effective with cables. These, however, have done the trick: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005V9UU1O/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_mZ9Vtb15GYNK2

Pizza barely even tries anymore, I think this stuff doesn't feel as satisfying for him to chew on. Some coverage with this combined with a bitter or spicy or citrus spray would probably help.

Split loom was the solution for our chewer cat as well. I also discovered that coating things lightly with Sriracha discourages her chewing (for stuff I can't split loom, like the cat fountain tube). We tried the bitter sprays, but she would power through them since chewing makes her zone out/feel good.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Pixel's been with me for almost a month now so a vet check-up is fast becoming overdue.

I'm looking for a good-quality soft pet carrier with a few pockets (and other nifty features are a bonus, too). So far I've been looking at the Bergan carriers, both the Voyager and the regular Comfort Carrier. They seem pretty good, but since I only happened upon those, I thought there might be others I've overlooked. So any glowing recommendations?

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009

Madbullogna posted:

tldr - Is it possible that even though she was constantly harrased for two years by the other cats, she was actually used to the 'attention', and is just lonely, thus trying to pack in as much attention as she can when we're not at work?....

So I picked up two of the Whisker City branded Pheromone diffusers at Petsmart this evening. ( http://www.petsmart.com/cat/repellents/whisker-city-pheromone-diffuser-refill-zid36-5169594/cat-36-catid-200020 ). They appear to be the exact same ones as the Comfort Zone with Feliway branded ones, ( http://www.petcomfortzone.com/cats/products/diffuser ), except that it's Petsmart's brand? (Even the bottle is labeled and identical to the CZ bottle refills).

Hoping this helps her. How many days does it usually take to have a noticeable affect, (assuming it does have one for her). The box said it helps with marking and scratching, though she doesn't have an issue with those, just the pacing/meowing. Hoping I didn't toss 60 bucks down the drain.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

bubblelubble posted:

Pixel's been with me for almost a month now so a vet check-up is fast becoming overdue.

I'm looking for a good-quality soft pet carrier with a few pockets (and other nifty features are a bonus, too). So far I've been looking at the Bergan carriers, both the Voyager and the regular Comfort Carrier. They seem pretty good, but since I only happened upon those, I thought there might be others I've overlooked. So any glowing recommendations?

I would appreciate this as well. I'm going shopping for a soft carrier tomorrow and right now I'm planning on picking up the Bergan but if I should look elsewhere, I'd like to hear about it.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Huntersoninski posted:

Thanks. I will try this. The similar products that are "designed" for cats are really expensive.

The blue bunny
May 29, 2013
My 5 months old kitten is turning into the fussy eater and isn't at all food motivated. She use to happily eat fancy feast kitten turkey but now will hardly touch it. The only thing she will eat is felix jelly stuff which isn't kitten food and little Wellness complete kitten (10 bits) which i have to hand feed her. The Wellness is the only dry food she will eat after trying 5-6 different types. I have brought most of the kitten food and all stage food on the market to replace fancy feast kitten and she wont eat any of them.

In Australia we dont have the best range of cat food.

She was at the vet last week, she is all fine. In the past when discussing food with the vets they are only concerned she wont eat dry food much.

People have made comments that she looks thin like i dont feed her enough and i am throwing out bowls of food because she wont eating them.

Any tips on how to get her to eat what she is given?

How long can i safely starve a 5 month old Kitten?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

The blue bunny posted:

My 5 months old kitten is turning into the fussy eater and isn't at all food motivated. She use to happily eat fancy feast kitten turkey but now will hardly touch it. The only thing she will eat is felix jelly stuff which isn't kitten food and little Wellness complete kitten (10 bits) which i have to hand feed her. The Wellness is the only dry food she will eat after trying 5-6 different types. I have brought most of the kitten food and all stage food on the market to replace fancy feast kitten and she wont eat any of them.

In Australia we dont have the best range of cat food.

She was at the vet last week, she is all fine. In the past when discussing food with the vets they are only concerned she wont eat dry food much.

People have made comments that she looks thin like i dont feed her enough and i am throwing out bowls of food because she wont eating them.

Any tips on how to get her to eat what she is given?

How long can i safely starve a 5 month old Kitten?

If you're feeding wet, have you tried warming it up a bit in a microwave to stank it up?

If you're feeding dry, have you tried sparring a little bit of water on it to stank it up?

The blue bunny
May 29, 2013
I have tried the water and dry food, it doesn't work. Mixing dry into wet food kind of works but she started eating around the dry bits.

I dont own a microwave any other suggestion on how i might heat the food up.

I think her refusing to eat is behavioural, as she is acting like she is starving at them moment but she has 3 bowls of different food currently out.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

The blue bunny posted:

I have tried the water and dry food, it doesn't work. Mixing dry into wet food kind of works but she started eating around the dry bits.

I dont own a microwave any other suggestion on how i might heat the food up.

I think her refusing to eat is behavioural, as she is acting like she is starving at them moment but she has 3 bowls of different food currently out.

Do you have a pan and stovetop? Electric kettle? Worst case, a hair dryer?

I think it's behavioral too, so you should give your vet a call. Maybe cat milk?

metaphics
Jul 20, 2011
I've got the same issue with a four month old kitten my wife and I just got. She's not eating, drinking, hasn't used her litter box and mostly just sleeps. We tried giving her various kinds of wet/dry food, but she just walks away from it. I'm worried she has an infection, so we're taking her back to the vet to be checked over again.

The blue bunny
May 29, 2013

duckfarts posted:

Do you have a pan and stovetop? Electric kettle? Worst case, a hair dryer?

I think it's behavioral too, so you should give your vet a call. Maybe cat milk?

I tried heating up the food (new food). She smelt the food, eat a little(1 bite) then did the paw movement of burying next to the bowl. The food is still sitting there.

She has eaten fancy fest turkey while i was out for a run and i have managed to hand feed her some dry while typing this.

Could i use cat milk to increase the vitamins in the felix, which is the food she loves?

metaphics posted:

I've got the same issue with a four month old kitten my wife and I just got. She's not eating, drinking, hasn't used her litter box and mostly just sleeps. We tried giving her various kinds of wet/dry food, but she just walks away from it. I'm worried she has an infection, so we're taking her back to the vet to be checked over again.

I hope your little one feels better soon.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Well I've been kind of stumped by this for the last few weeks so I figure I'll ask here.

I used to live in a ground floor apartment and my cat spent maybe a third of her time outdoors. When I wasn't home she stayed in, when I was home she could go out and play on the grass and chase squirrels. 3 months ago I moved to a third floor apartment where she can no longer get out so she's been adjusting to spend more time indoors but she still spends a lot of time out on the balcony laying in the sun. Now 2-3 weeks ago she caught and killed a bird, she's never caught anything before so I thought well that's impressive, took it away and cleaned up after her. Since then she's escalated, catching about a half a dozen more birds culminating in 2 today (one when I let her out before going to work and one while I was cooking dinner.)

I very much doubt there's anything I can do to discourage this besides just keeping her inside but I'm getting really sick of cleaning up all the feathers and blood that inevitably gets everywhere. Any advice?

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

uPen posted:

Well I've been kind of stumped by this for the last few weeks so I figure I'll ask here.

I used to live in a ground floor apartment and my cat spent maybe a third of her time outdoors. When I wasn't home she stayed in, when I was home she could go out and play on the grass and chase squirrels. 3 months ago I moved to a third floor apartment where she can no longer get out so she's been adjusting to spend more time indoors but she still spends a lot of time out on the balcony laying in the sun. Now 2-3 weeks ago she caught and killed a bird, she's never caught anything before so I thought well that's impressive, took it away and cleaned up after her. Since then she's escalated, catching about a half a dozen more birds culminating in 2 today (one when I let her out before going to work and one while I was cooking dinner.)

I very much doubt there's anything I can do to discourage this besides just keeping her inside but I'm getting really sick of cleaning up all the feathers and blood that inevitably gets everywhere. Any advice?

Besides the fact that you have to clean up after her, it's also terrible for the environment for cats to kill birds, so I'm glad you want to stop her. Could you screen in the balcony or otherwise prevent the birds from coming near? Because you're right, I doubt there's a way to stop her by modifying her behavior.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

uPen posted:

Well, you could stop putting seeds in the bird feeder. :v:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Hummingbirds posted:

Besides the fact that you have to clean up after her, it's also terrible for the environment for cats to kill birds, so I'm glad you want to stop her. Could you screen in the balcony or otherwise prevent the birds from coming near? Because you're right, I doubt there's a way to stop her by modifying her behavior.

A net or screen might be possible and sounds like the best bet, she's miserable when forced to stay inside so I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Deteriorata posted:

Well, you could stop putting seeds in the bird feeder. :v:

I don't because of exactly this but both apartments below me have feeders, not much I can do!

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

uPen posted:

Any advice?
It will seem silly at first but look at a cat bib (catgoods.com). It won't stop a cat from killing all the time but it slows them down just enough that most birds get away. It worked for my killer cat.

metaphics
Jul 20, 2011

The blue bunny posted:

I hope your little one feels better soon.

Sadly, we got the call that Scarlett died from FPV earlier this afternoon. The vet assured us he was with her when she died. I think it was a good thing my wife and I could show her some love in her short life.

We both want to adopt her sister now, but do you think there's too much risk of transmission? They were kept in the same cage, but the humane society won't adopt her out without a few days of observation.

VyperRDH
Nov 5, 2007

Brush your teeth for God's sake...
I have a 16-17 week old male kitten who just got his last set of kitten shots. It's been a long time since I've had to deal with kitten vaccinations so I have a couple questions. I just moved and my new vet said she can't give the rabies vaccine at the same time as the last booster. So he got the booster and I have to go back in three weeks for the rabies vaccine. Is that normal? She also said that I have to wait a month after the rabies shot before I can get him neutered. I was hoping to get him fixed a lot sooner than two months from now. Is this standard?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

metaphics posted:

Sadly, we got the call that Scarlett died from FPV earlier this afternoon. The vet assured us he was with her when she died. I think it was a good thing my wife and I could show her some love in her short life.

We both want to adopt her sister now, but do you think there's too much risk of transmission? They were kept in the same cage, but the humane society won't adopt her out without a few days of observation.

FPV is very contagious and can live in the environment for a long, long time. If you want a cat, I wouldn't get a kitten, and I would make sure it is fully up to date on vaccinations (ideally two weeks at least post vaccination). I would also contact the vet about their recommendation for home cleaning - dilute bleach can kill the virus, but, well, bleach in the home, as well as you can 't really get everything fully cleaned.

VyperRDH posted:

I have a 16-17 week old male kitten who just got his last set of kitten shots. It's been a long time since I've had to deal with kitten vaccinations so I have a couple questions. I just moved and my new vet said she can't give the rabies vaccine at the same time as the last booster. So he got the booster and I have to go back in three weeks for the rabies vaccine. Is that normal? She also said that I have to wait a month after the rabies shot before I can get him neutered. I was hoping to get him fixed a lot sooner than two months from now. Is this standard?

Some vets space out their vaccines because they feel they see less vaccine reactions, but I haven't heard of that actually being proven. Some vets also don't like to operate on animals with recent vaccines because they feel that the vaccine and surgical stress would screw with the animal's body too much.

However, this is not standard.

metaphics
Jul 20, 2011

HelloSailorSign posted:

FPV is very contagious and can live in the environment for a long, long time. If you want a cat, I wouldn't get a kitten, and I would make sure it is fully up to date on vaccinations (ideally two weeks at least post vaccination). I would also contact the vet about their recommendation for home cleaning - dilute bleach can kill the virus, but, well, bleach in the home, as well as you can 't really get everything fully cleaned.

I was worried about cleaning the house. I'll ask my vet for any other options. Thanks!

Also, yesterday I came into contact with my mom's cat. He's 14 and pretty relaxed most of the time. He hasn't acted like he caught FPV, but you think it's a good idea to have him checked out at the vet?

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Random question more out of interest than anything. We have a senior cat that we adopted a couple of years ago, from what the adoption centre said he had a home when young but then became a stray for an indeterminate amount of time.

He really loves muffins. We don't give them to him of course, but he goes mad when he sees them unlike any other kind of food. He'll often try to rifle through the bin if we throw a paper wrapper in there. He'll at the very least try to get up on the table or on your lap to get close to them if you have one.

I figure he might have eaten a lot of muffin bits when he was a stray or something similar, I'm just wondering if this happens to be something anyone has heard of before or is indicative of anything with his diet. He's usually quite fussy so it's an odd quirk.

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

PTizzle posted:

Random question more out of interest than anything. We have a senior cat that we adopted a couple of years ago, from what the adoption centre said he had a home when young but then became a stray for an indeterminate amount of time.

He really loves muffins. We don't give them to him of course, but he goes mad when he sees them unlike any other kind of food. He'll often try to rifle through the bin if we throw a paper wrapper in there. He'll at the very least try to get up on the table or on your lap to get close to them if you have one.

I figure he might have eaten a lot of muffin bits when he was a stray or something similar, I'm just wondering if this happens to be something anyone has heard of before or is indicative of anything with his diet. He's usually quite fussy so it's an odd quirk.

Cats are just weird. One of mine goes nuts for raw potatoes.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

I have a cat that loves quinoa. What the gently caress?

He also just decided to start chewing on shoelaces yesterday, which he hasn't done before. He bites and chews other stuff, sure, but this is new. I guess shoelaces are a thing now. This is a ten year old cat who pretty much never stopped being a kitten.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

PTizzle posted:

He really loves muffins. We don't give them to him of course, but he goes mad when he sees them unlike any other kind of food.

Just give him some muffin every once in a while

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Someone post that muffin dog .gif

aghastly
Nov 1, 2010

i'm an instant star
just add water and stir
Toast goes absolutely nuts for bananas. I'm not really sure how that started, but every time I reach in the general direction of the bananas he's at my feet and begging. Loudly.

They're not toxic to cats, so whatever, I just give him a little piece when I have one. He can't figure out how to eat them very well, though, because he tries to pick it up and carry it somewhere safe, but he can't get a good grip on it with his teeth I guess.

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

So the Mrs. has asked me to ask the cat crowd here if anyone has had any luck with, or has general opinions about, Thunder Shirts for cats.

We're going to be moving soon, from MI to CA, and one of our cats - Pixie - can get super stressed. I'll be moving first, with my wife coming along later. We are considering sending them all via air, since a few hours flying seems to be maybe the least stressful option compared to 5 days in a cat carrier in a car. For Pixie, my wife was thinking that maybe the Thunder Shirt would help in some way? We've been seeing them pop up all over, but haven't found anyone that actually has tried one.

Thoughts?

Here's the wacky cutie in question:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well that was a horrifying weekend. A word of advice: If you have a super fluffy cat and you cannot see its anus when its tail is raised, you should really consider trimming that butt fluff.

All it takes is one small piece to get stuck, then it'll catch another, and another, then you have a cat dragging around a mountain of poo scooting across your carpet. :stonk:

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I adopted two cats on Saturday! They're both female and are a little over 4 years old. Both are still a little timid, but I guess that's to be expected. I have a question, though. One seems very affectionate, but doesn't seem to like being petted. She'll rub on me and lay next to me sometimes and kneads pillows, and when I pet the other cat she comes over and rubs on both of us. However, when I try to pet her, she'll arch her back away from my hand, and if I continue, she'll swat at my hand. But she doesn't really seem mad, and will soon start rubbing against me again.

Anyone know what might cause this behavior? I don't think it's some sort of injury, as it doesn't seem to pertain to a particular spot, as far as I can tell. She has FIV, but I don't know if this is related to that. I'll be heading to the vet next weekend for their initial checkup, so I'll probably ask about it there too. Could she dislike petting just because she doesn't really know me yet? Or do some cats just not like being petted?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

SynthOrange posted:

Well that was a horrifying weekend. A word of advice: If you have a super fluffy cat and you cannot see its anus when its tail is raised, you should really consider trimming that butt fluff.

All it takes is one small piece to get stuck, then it'll catch another, and another, then you have a cat dragging around a mountain of poo scooting across your carpet. :stonk:

With the way mine constantly stick their assholes in my face/on my things/everywhere, I think I'd actually be a little concerned if I went a whole day without seeing feline butthole.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DorianGravy posted:

I adopted two cats on Saturday! They're both female and are a little over 4 years old. Both are still a little timid, but I guess that's to be expected. I have a question, though. One seems very affectionate, but doesn't seem to like being petted. She'll rub on me and lay next to me sometimes and kneads pillows, and when I pet the other cat she comes over and rubs on both of us. However, when I try to pet her, she'll arch her back away from my hand, and if I continue, she'll swat at my hand. But she doesn't really seem mad, and will soon start rubbing against me again.

Anyone know what might cause this behavior? I don't think it's some sort of injury, as it doesn't seem to pertain to a particular spot, as far as I can tell. She has FIV, but I don't know if this is related to that. I'll be heading to the vet next weekend for their initial checkup, so I'll probably ask about it there too. Could she dislike petting just because she doesn't really know me yet? Or do some cats just not like being petted?

I've had a cat that did this, and it got better over time. I chalked it up to socialization, for lack of a better term. It seemed that she wanted attention from me but then didn't understand that "attention from me" meant pets and scritches. I don't know what she was expecting, but she freaked out at every touch at first.

She gradually learned to relax and trust me when I touched her. She's pretty chill now.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

I've had a cat that did this, and it got better over time. I chalked it up to socialization, for lack of a better term. It seemed that she wanted attention from me but then didn't understand that "attention from me" meant pets and scritches. I don't know what she was expecting, but she freaked out at every touch at first.

She gradually learned to relax and trust me when I touched her. She's pretty chill now.

Okay, that would be cool. Since I just got them, I expect it to take a few weeks/months for them to become comfortable here. How long did it take for your cat to get used to being petted? Did you just keep petting her every once in a while until she figured out it was fine?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Maybe your cat isnt used to hand contact? Just hold out your hand for your cat, let her make the first move.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The guy I had watching my cat accidentally ran that cat over with his car. I told him to keep the loving cat indoors, and he said "Oh but he's so happy to be outside." I am honestly bereft over this.

Here are my only pictures of Segatari:

In the background you can see his brother from a later Litter. I gave him away because I was only allowed one cat in my place

I cooked him hand cooked meals everyday for Breakfast and Dinner, and I spent hours playing with him and dabird. He was one of my only friends and I will always miss him. I just found out about an hour ago, so if this is bad I'm sorry.

I'm going to go in the yospos thread to see if I have more pictures.

I miss him so much.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DorianGravy posted:

Okay, that would be cool. Since I just got them, I expect it to take a few weeks/months for them to become comfortable here. How long did it take for your cat to get used to being petted? Did you just keep petting her every once in a while until she figured out it was fine?

Initially she'd climb up the edge of my chair and bite my arm when she wanted attention. That got her a bop on the nose like a mother cat would treat a naughty kitten. A couple of those and she stopped, just mewing or rubbing my legs when she wanted attention.

She got attention as long as she behaved. When she freaked and started attacking my hand, I withdrew and ignored her.

I assumed she was used to rough-and-tumble play with other kittens and didn't really know how to interact any other way. She never bit hard and always kept her claws in, so I knew she wasn't trying to hurt me - she just didn't know any better. She gradually figured out that humans don't do that sort of thing and pets were the way to go.

Overall time was a few weeks, maybe a month. Your mileage may vary.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

The guy I had watching my cat accidentally ran that cat over with his car. I told him to keep the loving cat indoors, and he said "Oh but he's so happy to be outside." I am honestly bereft over this.

Here are my only pictures of Segatari:

In the background you can see his brother from a later Litter. I gave him away because I was only allowed one cat in my place

I cooked him hand cooked meals everyday for Breakfast and Dinner, and I spent hours playing with him and dabird. He was one of my only friends and I will always miss him. I just found out about an hour ago, so if this is bad I'm sorry.

I'm going to go in the yospos thread to see if I have more pictures.

I miss him so much.

Jesus Christ, I'd kill him.

aghastly
Nov 1, 2010

i'm an instant star
just add water and stir

Holy poo poo, I am so sorry, and so livid on your behalf. Willingly going against your instructions while watching your cat like that, and putting him in danger, is inexcusable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

That is awful, Turtliscious. I am truly sorry.