Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

RBA Starblade posted:

So if your rep and money fall too low you can basically lose career mode right and you'll have to start over right? I've been waiting for stuff like this because I'm terrible with pure sandboxes.
How about a realistic mode where you have a blank cheque to start with, but then suddenly Congress slashes your budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Falken posted:

How about a realistic mode where you have a blank cheque to start with, but then suddenly Congress slashes your budget after you beat Kersmonauts to the Mun their economy implodes and then no one cares about space anymore :(

I really wish we'd found something useful on Mars, like oil or helium or middle class jobs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

EightBit posted:

Parachutes. gently caress trying to land the right way, especially with just keyboard controls. It's pretty tricky with a 360 controller, even.

A drogue chute is certainly helpful for last minute deceleration and stabilization.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Nevets posted:

I really wish we'd found something useful on Mars, like oil or helium or middle class jobs.

Technically you can get the last one from a Mars trip… but nobody wants to consider that an option.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I have a joystick, maybe I'll try that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Okan170 posted:

Technically you can get the last one from a Mars trip… but nobody wants to consider that an option.

You could also export all the middle class people there, solving the problem on Earth.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
No, see, if we found middle class jobs on Mars we would have a reason to go back all the time so we could dig some up and ship them back to Earth. Once we've topped off the US strategic reserves the government can have the treasury issue j-bills drawn on the jobs to raise funds and the labor department can begin awarding the jobs themselves to the most eloquently written grant proposals that come companies run by Senatorial relatives. Before long we'd have enough good jobs that only the lazy, dug addicted, uneducated, indigent, illegal, mentally handicapped, felonious, or otherwise not-our-fault-you-can't-find-a-jobistic wouldn't be employed.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
Turn off ASAS when your parachute deploys, that's what is making poo poo weird for you. The craft wants to fall straight below the parachute but your stabilization system will not let it. Once you are directly vertical you can re-enable it.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

You can tell we're getting close because the wild Maxmaps has returned to his cave, preparing itself for the birth. I'm guessing tomorrow, mostly because I want it to be tomorrow.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

You could also export all the middle class people there, solving the problem on Earth.

See how you like it when your telephones aren't sanitised.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Given all my problems with the 4000t asteroid, I took some of the suggestions and built something to try once more to move it in a stable manner. A cluster of smaller individual engines all with a claw and stabilised with a network of KAS struts. Launching the 6 pack was FAR from easy if you will allow the pun, getting such an unwieldy thing into orbit proved to be the hardest part. Sure I could have redesigned and launched more times with less engines per trip but that would have been defeatist.

On reaching the rock I refilled everything from the interstellar based failure on it then crashed the rubbish in a satisfying manner. Bob got out after the first engine was moored and strapped it to the rock. That's when I realised that the mass of the shuriken was moving the CoM, so I'll get the thing set up with the cluster plugged in then undock the mothership. That will let me center all the engines to point correctly and then I just relink everything and scoot Bob to safety. Assuming of course that 0.24 doesn't land, in which case I'll shelf the design till it starts raining rocks in the new save.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012
Another preview from illectro, focused on the new parts.

One thing that stands out is the default 45 degree angle of deflection on the new monoprop engine. That doesn't seem to make any sense at all. Why would that ever be desirable?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

eth0.n posted:

One thing that stands out is the default 45 degree angle of deflection on the new monoprop engine. That doesn't seem to make any sense at all. Why would that ever be desirable?

I think it was intended to be a maneuvering engine with a wide gimbal range?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

eth0.n posted:

Hahah you can turn off quicksave/load and reversion for Ironman mode!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Ahaha that last plane

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Deuce posted:

I think it was intended to be a maneuvering engine with a wide gimbal range?

According to the tool-tip, it can't gimbal at all. Maybe it's intended to? Model looks like it should.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Merging EditorExtensions and SelectRoot was easier than I expected, it worked first try. SelectRoot is MIT licensed so I'll see if the EE author is still active and wants the merged code.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
I see there is more stuff crammed in those right-hand-side info popups (like the tracking station planet infos) written in tiny-print that doesn't scale with the rest of the flight UI last I checked. I'm an older man getting older every day, please take mercy on what's left of my eyesight Maxmaps and scale that poo poo up.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Did the enhanced navball stuff make it into this patch? I remember that being mentioned but nobody has really said anything about it recently when talking about the new update.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Old saves are cleared. I'm ready! Put me in coach!

:jeb:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Platonicsolid posted:

Put me in coach!

We now invite groups 3 and 4 to begin boarding; you might want to check your carry-on at the gate as the overhead bins will fill up quickly. Enjoy your flight!

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Thank you for the space plane help guys, finally got something off the ground.

What is the max altitude I can reasonably get to on jet engines alone? I get to about 15 kilometers and then the plane spins out.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

Sylink posted:

What is the max altitude I can reasonably get to on jet engines alone? I get to about 15 kilometers and then the plane spins out.

Sounds about right. You can get up to maybe 25 if you really cram some intakes on there, but 15-20km is a reasonably ceiling for jet power.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Sylink posted:

Designs with one jet engine tend to be better as when you have two engines, one will flame out before the other and spin out your plane. If you are already using one and you have this problem, try lowering your nose, or switch to rockets as soon as you feel the plane start to twitch

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Or mount your engines vertically, English Electric Lightning style, as chances are your aircraft has far greater pitch authority than yaw. it will still suffer in the rarefied atmosphere but the offset from the center of mass will be far less than say, wing mounted engines if one does cut out.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That can work, but chances are you'll lose the lower engine on takeoff 50% of the time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

haveblue posted:

That can work, but chances are you'll lose the lower engine on takeoff 50% of the time.

That is the trick, certainly, it's hard to design a plane like that without constructing the body a bit using wing sections/extra fuel/dummy tanks. It does make your plane a bit big in that respect which can offset some of the benefit of the second engine.

On the other hand if you need two engines you might be building a bigger plane anyway, and size doesn't necessarily translate to mass, or drag, if you're using FAR.

You can also cheat and stick a taildragger on the end.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 15, 2014

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Sylink posted:

15 seems low. Try a slower climb one you hit 10k, going faster drives more air into the engines and can help you get more altitude. I typically try to build speed around 18-21k, once you hit 1500m/s or so start climbing up and switch to closed loop.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Sylink posted:

They work until the edge of space (and in space, if you manage to bring Air Supply).

Everyone speaks rightly with regards to engines/intakes. That medium SAS unit can give smaller craft amazing control authority, too.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Mr. Wynand posted:

I see there is more stuff crammed in those right-hand-side info popups (like the tracking station planet infos) written in tiny-print that doesn't scale with the rest of the flight UI last I checked. I'm an older man getting older every day, please take mercy on what's left of my eyesight Maxmaps and scale that poo poo up.

Crud. I'll talk to the guys about the UI scale tomorrow morning.

The Green Calx posted:

Did the enhanced navball stuff make it into this patch? I remember that being mentioned but nobody has really said anything about it recently when talking about the new update.

It needs an aesthetics pass so we sadly have to wait til 25. My heart was shattered but I will live.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
What about the tweaks to the altimeter? I know it was sort of a last-minute thing for .24 as far as development lead-time goes, but the suggestion resounded a lot here and I'd like to think I had one good idea at one point.

The UI scale on the info panels is at least an easy QoL quick fix. :)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Maxmaps posted:

It needs an aesthetics pass so we sadly have to wait til 25. My heart was shattered but I will live.

Can we get an option to turn it on via the "cheat menu" (alt+shift+f12 or whatever)? Some sort of check box? Much appreciated.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This thread always makes me so hyped for this game. I'm super stoked for the new release and I barely play it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hadlock posted:

Can we get an option to turn it on via the "cheat menu" (alt+shift+f12 or whatever)? Some sort of check box? Much appreciated.

Or hell, even a slider in the options menu. (I'm fine with the current size, but if you're gonna do it...)

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
So Max, now that you're officially adding in a difficulty options tab, does that mean reentry heat is on the menu for 0.27? :getin:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Maxmaps posted:

Update delayed for a month.

:negative:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Flagrant Abuse posted:

So Max, now that you're officially adding in a difficulty options tab, does that mean reentry heat is on the menu for 0.27? :getin:

Re-entry heat wouldn't be a great idea with the current aerodynamics. Remember, Squad did actually have it in the game internally, and couldn't get it to be fun. I'd say that's almost entirely down to the strange and arcane aerodynamics, which means the usual methods of "what would NASA do?" don't work because the usual laws of physics don't apply.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Splode posted:

Re-entry heat wouldn't be a great idea with the current aerodynamics. Remember, Squad did actually have it in the game internally, and couldn't get it to be fun. I'd say that's almost entirely down to the strange and arcane aerodynamics, which means the usual methods of "what would NASA do?" don't work because the usual laws of physics don't apply.

Make only science reports burn up on reentry. Tweek the rate of burn or maximum percent burn for balance/fun.

Edit: maybe have interplanetary space cause science to degrade due to radiation. Physical samples only? That way there would be an impetus to return quickly, but gently, OR send a science lab out there to analyze samples on location.

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 15, 2014

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I booted up KSP for the first time in forever, went to grab my normal trio of mods(Mechjeb, Kethane, and KAS) and remembered that Kethane now has that stupid opt out poo poo. Anyone got a quick description of how to tear that crap out of the package?

MohawkSatan fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

MohawkSatan posted:

I booted up KSP for the first time in forever, went to grab my normal trio of mods(Mechjeb, Kethane, and KAS) and remembered that Kethane now has that stupid opt out poo poo. Anyone got a quick description of how to tear that crap out of the package?

You are supposed to be able to turn the whole thing off by creating a ModStatistics directory in your GameData, and in that directory have a settings.cfg file that simply contains disabled = true.

• Locked thread