Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought that mostly died out in the '80s, and finally completely went away after the Good Friday accords.

I've never in my life seen a bar collecting for NORAID/ Sinn Fein.

I was in a bar in Savannah and noticed some pro-Sinn Fein stuff about 5 years ago. I don't think they went so far as to solicit donations though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
this little pig built his house out of bricks :whatup:

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

beanieson posted:

this little pig built his house out of bricks :whatup:

high quality job on the tyvek wrap bud

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
Are you gonna have a porch swing where you sit in your underwear and drink sweet tea?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I'm gonna sit in my bathrobe and clean my shotgun menacingly.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Why are there so many vids of scrawny, often mixed-gender Britcop teams putting themselves in awfully low-priority-looking scenarios where they're outnumbered and out of sight of any lines of support?

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Snowdens Secret posted:

Why are there so many vids of scrawny, often mixed-gender Britcop teams putting themselves in awfully low-priority-looking scenarios where they're outnumbered and out of sight of any lines of support?

Because we're at the lowest amount of officers we've had since the 1960s?

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Those cops were told that everyone has aids and if you get in a hand to hand situation you will get aids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6szE_qmzavQ

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Uhh why the hell didn't those brit cops pick that son of a bitch and slam him on the ground? You fuckers really need to get some tasers. You get one order to put your hands behind your back and then the taser comes out. Then it's a do it or get tased and if I don't get an immediate response it's time to ride the lightning.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Whale Cancer posted:

Uhh why the hell didn't those brit cops pick that son of a bitch and slam him on the ground? You fuckers really need to get some tasers. You get one order to put your hands behind your back and then the taser comes out. Then it's a do it or get tased and if I don't get an immediate response it's time to ride the lightning.

I like this part.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Whale Cancer posted:

Probably because if they did that then they'd either have been attacked by the mob that was forming, or they'd be in even hotter water than they are now. Yes, they are actually being investigated because of this incident and the media are spinning police brutality stories like they're going out of fashion.

Plus, body slams just aren't cricket

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Justin Godscock posted:

I like this part.

me too :buddy:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

If you ride like lightning, you're going to crash like thunder

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Hezzy posted:

Probably because if they did that then they'd either have been attacked by the mob that was forming, or they'd be in even hotter water than they are now. Yes, they are actually being investigated because of this incident and the media are spinning police brutality stories like they're going out of fashion.

Plus, body slams just aren't cricket

You can't slam someone for resisting arrest? I don't literally mean a Hulk Hogan powerslam but grab their legs and dump them on the ground.

I did laugh at "He's on the drugs!" I'm going to start using that.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Whale Cancer posted:

You can't slam someone for resisting arrest? I don't literally mean a Hulk Hogan powerslam but grab their legs and dump them on the ground.

I did laugh at "He's on the drugs!" I'm going to start using that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Ian_Tomlinson

tl;dr police officer pushed him over during a riot (for no good reason, mind you) and the dude DIED about 10 minutes later

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Hezzy posted:

Yes, they are actually being investigated because of this incident and the media are spinning police brutality stories like they're going out of fashion.

There is not a :psyduck: big enough. I've seen people taken to the ground for far less than that here. In fact, what's being taught now is to respond to an active resister with immediate and overwhelming force to stop the fight before it starts. Usually that means a taser, but sometimes it means grab the neck and take them straight down to the ground.

"You are on the drugs, officer."

The Shep fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jul 15, 2014

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
In my part-time professional opinion, that officer was on Cocaine and possibly PCP.

Really no need to crack out the CS or baton him though, could have dealt with that pretty easily with his ridged cuffs.

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

Really no need to crack out the CS or baton him though, could have dealt with that pretty easily with his ridged cuffs.

Says the officer built like Dick Butkus.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
I had to wiki who that was. Now I need to grow a mustache.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
Just mace the whole drat crowd surrounding you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I had to wiki who that was. Now I need to grow a mustache.

You should have already done that. I mean, you are a cop.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

In my part-time professional opinion, that officer was on Cocaine and possibly PCP.

Our policy is to only cuff once he is under control and that doesn't look like he's under control. I most likely would've done something similar. It's clear that they're in a position where they can't control his arms or body because he's bunched up using a good centre of gravity and knows how to use his muscles for maximum resistance. Spray would've been my go-to tool to deal with the fella. I also would've been yelling in my radio for backup constantly, something that I can't remember seeing either of them do

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
I'm guessing that they probably have already called for backup and transport simply by the fact that people have had time to congregate. In the Met you'd have support in less than 4 minutes in the middle of the day but I've no idea how long TV have to wait.

We get taught to get the cuffs on a wrist ASAP and use the cuffs to maneuver them about and put them on the floor, which they to exceptionally well in my experience. During training I was getting floored by tiny female officers. Because I was the biggest guy in the class I got used for every demonstration and I'm acutely aware of how loving painful they are when someone is pushing them against the back of the wrist.

I doubt I would use CS that close to the target because I would end up 'gassed' and not able to see the crowd around me. Also we get in the poo poo if the CS is deployed closer than a meter because it can blind. Can always spray it in your hand and wipe it on his face.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Steel bracelet takedowns are legit but they're a gamble. If you lose your grip the dickbag now has a weapon attached to his wrist.

I'm down with the baton in this case. Too close to gas, just right to stroke.

I was lovin the color commentary. "This officer's on the cocaine!"

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
Cuffs work great most of the time, but its all pain based, I've fought with people just too drunk/high to have them work.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
A skateboard cop in Green Bay and theres even lights on the board. Rad

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/07/14/skateboard-cop-may-be-the-first-in-the-us/20930776/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000058

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

:krad:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

There is not a :psyduck: big enough. I've seen people taken to the ground for far less than that here. In fact, what's being taught now is to respond to an active resister with immediate and overwhelming force to stop the fight before it starts. Usually that means a taser, but sometimes it means grab the neck and take them straight down to the ground.

Neither of those coppers look like they could've taken that guy to the ground without the benefit of something like a lot of jujitsu training

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

You should have already done that. I mean, you are a cop.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Hey whip, I will accept this smiley :bobby: in lieu of the crab chips. It benefits everyone :thumbsup:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Hold on lemme get a Dick Butkus mustache and not that lovely crop of animucop's

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

I'm guessing that they probably have already called for backup and transport simply by the fact that people have had time to congregate. In the Met you'd have support in less than 4 minutes in the middle of the day but I've no idea how long TV have to wait.

We get taught to get the cuffs on a wrist ASAP and use the cuffs to maneuver them about and put them on the floor, which they to exceptionally well in my experience. During training I was getting floored by tiny female officers. Because I was the biggest guy in the class I got used for every demonstration and I'm acutely aware of how loving painful they are when someone is pushing them against the back of the wrist.

I doubt I would use CS that close to the target because I would end up 'gassed' and not able to see the crowd around me. Also we get in the poo poo if the CS is deployed closer than a meter because it can blind. Can always spray it in your hand and wipe it on his face.

I am pretty sure the met are one of the only (if not THE only) force that is still using CS

Everyone else uses PAVA

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

Hold on lemme get a Dick Butkus mustache and not that lovely crop of animucop's

Still looks goofy but whatev

chartley
Jul 1, 2004

Nessy says get tae

Hezzy posted:

I am pretty sure the met are one of the only (if not THE only) force that is still using CS

Everyone else uses PAVA

North of my border my friend. Think we are set to change to pava at some point. I welcome the possibility of something that might affect dogs other than the baton. Next time I encounter an angry dog it might be easier...

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
wtf is PAVA? OC allegedly works on dogs too.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
If that makes it to a smily it needs to like bounce back and forth from right to left. Or have the night stick added to it.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Apparently we won't get issued with PAVA because of the re-training costs. Every vehicle has an extra fire extinguisher to deal with dogs, although it doesn't seem to work for long.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelargonic_acid_vanillylamide

It's one of the agents in Pepper spray and it's meant to be loving agonizing and an awful lot more effective than CS, which is garbage and won't deter any really determined attacker. I should know because I've been gassed about 3 times now.

If you lot are desperate for a picture of me in a beat helmet and mustache I can take a fake one in to the station and have a picture taken. You won't get it till next Friday though, I'm on leave.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
I've been PAVA'd twice and gassed once. I can say that whilst gas is a lot messier and makes your face run, PAVA just affects your eyes and is about 500x more painful. It also works on dogs, as opposed to OC / CS which more than occasionally doesn't

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Don't know if it's true but apparently CS isn't allowed to be used around horses because the smell makes them go radio rental. Personally I would jump at the chance to see mounted division go on some sort of CS induced blitzkrieg next time they are at a public event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chartley
Jul 1, 2004

Nessy says get tae
Until recently i didn't rate mounted police in non public order events, they were first on scene to a theft/housebreaking debacle. From witness accounts it was a tremendous sight seeing the 2 horses galloping down the road, especially for the 2 good folk trying to apprehend the naughty fellow.

• Locked thread