Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Probably when you got a Roamio.

I can't believe the loving Amazon app still hasn't been updated, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have worked for all manner of companies from startups to big national banks and I have never in my life seen development slower than Tivo.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Mark me down as another dude that got the slide remote email. Those Bluetooth QWERTY remotes kind of bombed, though, so maybe it's a goodwill gesture?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

qirex posted:

I have worked for all manner of companies from startups to big national banks and I have never in my life seen development slower than Tivo.

I've seen much slower. Department of Education software for data transfer looks and acts like it's from the 90s. If you so much as look at it funny, it will crash on you.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
I got my new remote today and I kinda like it. Don't think I would have paid for it, but it's a nice freebie.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Time Warner recently changed my lineup, so I'm trying to get the Tivo to redownload the channel listing. How long is this supposed to take? I left it sitting there for over two hours and it's still just on "preparing".

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

Time Warner recently changed my lineup, so I'm trying to get the Tivo to redownload the channel listing. How long is this supposed to take? I left it sitting there for over two hours and it's still just on "preparing".

Repeating guided setup has never taken longer than ~30 min for me.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
In the Year of Our Lord 2014 I've finally signed up for digital cable. After Time Warner bought out Adelphia they've been pushing hard to eliminate analog. As of a couple of months ago I could get HD channels on my basic analog service but no Tivo listing for them. Now most of those have disappeared and I received a notice that analog was being switched off first week of July.

I ordered a Cablecard for my Premiere and it seems pretty simple to set up but I assume it's open to the usual cable shenanigans where a basic process gets turned into an ordeal. But at least I'll finally be all the way HD, not just when I'm watching Netflix and Amazon.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It used to be hit or miss depending on your provider but now so far as I know the big providers just give you the card and you call an 800 number, and they ask you to read some numbers off the setup screen in your tivo and it works instantly.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I got a CableCARD several years ago and a guy had to come to my house to personally insert it into the Tivo. Glad to know it's gotten a lot better.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Got an email that there was a problem with my order. I called and spoke with two different people who insisted I get a set top box to go with my cablecard. I told them they were wrong, and that I might need a tuning adapter to interpret the SDV going to the cablecard but they weren't interested.

Eventually I got to someone that's allowed to use their brain and they agreed that no set top box was necessary, just the tuning adapter. It sounds like these adapters are not very good and frequently lose signal when it's time to record and all you get is black.

So this will be an experiment to see if I can make this work. I really don't want to get a dish.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Dick Trauma posted:

Got an email that there was a problem with my order. I called and spoke with two different people who insisted I get a set top box to go with my cablecard. I told them they were wrong, and that I might need a tuning adapter to interpret the SDV going to the cablecard but they weren't interested.

Eventually I got to someone that's allowed to use their brain and they agreed that no set top box was necessary, just the tuning adapter. It sounds like these adapters are not very good and frequently lose signal when it's time to record and all you get is black.

So this will be an experiment to see if I can make this work. I really don't want to get a dish.

Tuning adapters are the worst. They overheat, use lots of power, rarely sync and usually result in no picture on the TiVo. Definitely a product made out of spite.

Some on the tivocommunity forums have put the tuning adapters on outlet timers, cycling every 24 hours. What a pain.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

One benefit of having been on basic analog cable the last thirteen years is a minimum of dealing with cable company bullshit. Looks like that's over.

I just want to finally get HD and use my drat Tivo. They should be glad there's still people like me willing to pay for their service.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Oh god tuning adapters. Yeah when I moved into a house I was able to switch to a regional cable provider and get away from that poo poo. When a channel isn't SDV you're ok, but like every 20 or so times you try to tune an SDV channel it fucks up and you get a blank recording. Usually it is a show your significant other likes so it becomes your fault somehow.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Dick Trauma posted:

One benefit of having been on basic analog cable the last thirteen years is a minimum of dealing with cable company bullshit. Looks like that's over.

I just want to finally get HD and use my drat Tivo. They should be glad there's still people like me willing to pay for their service.

I hear ya. I am not sure why the cable industry is on it's clear path of self destruction. The content isn't better, customers have to fight for consistent service. Aren't monopolies fun?

Where I live, COX wanted to block certain channels unless you opted for their DVR. It didn't matter I paid for every package with exception to NFL. I don't pirate shows, barely watch Netflix. I am surely not screwing them over but still run into limitations like that.

All I can say is when the TiVo is working it's pretty sweet. Makes cable bearable. Good luck!

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

jink posted:

Where I live, COX wanted to block certain channels unless you opted for their DVR. It didn't matter I paid for every package with exception to NFL. I don't pirate shows, barely watch Netflix. I am surely not screwing them over but still run into limitations like that.

The digital bonus tier was bullshit, I'm glad they finally relented and let cablecard subs have access.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

jink posted:

All I can say is when the TiVo is working it's pretty sweet. Makes cable bearable. Good luck!

TiVo's the only reason I've been able to stay on basic cable for so long. Local channels+NatGeo+Discovery was enough content for the TiVo to condense down to keep me entertained. I've also had Netflix and Amazon Prime on the TiVo and built into the TV so that filled in the gaps. I was paying $15 a month for the first ten years or so, and then $25 once Time Warner bought Adelphia. I think this plan jumps to $70 after the 12 month promotion but I should know by then if it's worth staying or abandoning ship for a dish.

EDIT: I still have my original unused cable box and remote from 2000. Maybe they can add them to their museum if I bring them with me to collect my install kit.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 17, 2014

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Cablecard activation was easy but the tuning adapter isn't working. It won't sync and the Tivo doesn't recognize that it's attached. Went through alot of hoops with the tech support to no avail. The good news is that I'm getting the non SDV HD stuff so at least we know my account was upgraded. My adapter was clearly used. Perhaps tomorrow I'll get one a little less used.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah I had a flaky one (of two) when I got them, had to get it replaced. They're quite lovely.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tuning adapters are absolute pieces of poo poo, I had several bad ones until they gave me one brand new in a sealed box that worked. I don't know if they do it on purpose, I don't know if they can't/don't test returned ones, maybe they are just poorly made pieces of poo poo but yeah, it is a massive pain in the rear end.

I wish I could tell you good things, mine is fairly stable but it will occasionally need to be reset or randomly not be able to tune to a channel, I would say overall it is worth it not to use one of TWC much worse piece of poo poo boxes but it's not a pleasant.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Got to the Time Warner store first thing this morning and they gave me a new in the box Arris branded Motorla tuning adapter. Got home and this time the Tivo recognized it but it still wouldn't sync. Alot more time on the phone and the tech got it to sync but those channels I was missing were still missing. More time on hold and he dropped me into the customer service queue.

My very old account needed some sort of boot in the pants at which point I started receiving almost all the channels I expected. A handful are still not appearing but I'll call later to deal with it. For now I just want to get my season passes re-added so they pull from the HD channels, and filter out the SD channels I won't need anymore.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1-866-532-2598

That is the number for the national cable card desk, you might have already talked to them but they are the only people that reliably know what the gently caress they are talking about with cable cards and tuning adapters.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Switching from most of my TV viewing being SD to most of it being HD has been pretty cool. I recorded a BBC show from 2004 and it turned out to be HD! Rubbed in how far I fell behind. :blush:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Summer 2014 is rolling out - http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2014-07/tivo-summer-update-released-without-android-streaming/

And they're switching the codebase from Flash to Haxe, which results in stuff like TiVo on Amazon Fire - https://twitter.com/pigiuz/status/470558649585532928 (the rest of the slides from that presentation are nyah - https://github.com/kulick/wwx2014/blob/master/WWX2014.pdf )

I am ready for a PS4/XB1 TiVo integrated app.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Deathlove posted:

Summer 2014 is rolling out - http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2014-07/tivo-summer-update-released-without-android-streaming/

And they're switching the codebase from Flash to Haxe, which results in stuff like TiVo on Amazon Fire - https://twitter.com/pigiuz/status/470558649585532928 (the rest of the slides from that presentation are nyah - https://github.com/kulick/wwx2014/blob/master/WWX2014.pdf )

I am ready for a PS4/XB1 TiVo integrated app.

Well drat, that wasn't what I was expecting. I wrote my Premiere off for it's incredibly slow performance. The gf now has that TiVo and she will surely appreciate the speed boost (any boost is good). The lifetime subscription doesn't feel so dumb now.

So happy to hear of them getting off of Flash. Never heard of Haxe before today, but Flash is a dead end and I was blown away that they would use Flash instead of a more optimized framework for the hardware. Doesn't sound like Haxe is any lower level but it seems to be more focused on cross platform allowing more apps to be used on TiVo.

I appreciate you linking that slideshow. It's fascinating how they built a prototype with a rough translator from AS3 to Haxe and still received a 30% performance improvement with only 3 months of work with 4 devs. :monocle: With that, they spent a year translating over to a new framework. Here I thought they were idle, signing contracts with cable companies instead of improving the platform. It seems that they could use a 'technical newsletter' for the evangelists like me.

I would love to see some improvements to show discovery. I feel that I record quite a bit of shows but don't see many updates to the shows. The networks are putting out new shows but I am not aware of them due to not watching their advertisements. How do others discover new shows to watch?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't suppose this will make it down to my old Series 3?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah, I'm tempted to plug my Premiere back in for OTA recording just to see how much better the UI is.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

jink posted:

I would love to see some improvements to show discovery. I feel that I record quite a bit of shows but don't see many updates to the shows. The networks are putting out new shows but I am not aware of them due to not watching their advertisements. How do others discover new shows to watch?

Quoting myself because this new "My Shows" tiered layout is helpful with it's suggestions in list form. I am digging the categories as the list of shows on my box are overwhelming to scan through.

[EDIT]: Good god this Haxe core is fast on the Roamio! Never discredit optimizing software, sheesh.

jink fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 17, 2014

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
https://www.tivo.com/shop/promo/summer-savings?SSAID=948909

Roamio Plus for $600, Lifetime included. (also Pro for $800, but buy large HD, install in Plus cheaper).

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Deathlove posted:

https://www.tivo.com/shop/promo/summer-savings?SSAID=948909

Roamio Plus for $600, Lifetime included. (also Pro for $800, but buy large HD, install in Plus cheaper).

Hell of a deal! I got my Plus for over $828 with lifetime subscription (+$144 for the 3TB drive). Would have loved to save a few hundred dollars. The Roamio is terrific.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sigh, even with that deal, it's still a 25 month ROI compared with me using the FiOS VMS server and one client (compared to one Plus and one streaming box) and then I would lose OnDemand which I use quite frequently.

TiVO is a concept I want to like, but I just struggle with how it will make my TV watching any better. I have 6 tuners, I have 1tb of space, stuff gets recorded as I schedule it and it plays back without issue.

In my opinion, TiVO needs to start aggressively working with MSOs to integrate access to their OnDemand offerings. Failing that, they need to reach out to the content providers themselves for access to the OnDemand content as a streaming service. There's just a huge gap there and I can't justify a prettier interface as a reason to limit access to content that I'm currently paying for.

Compound that with the fact that they still haven't given Android full functionality and I wouldn't even be getting all the functionality I would be paying TiVO for either.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

bull3964 posted:

Sigh, even with that deal, it's still a 25 month ROI compared with me using the FiOS VMS server and one client (compared to one Plus and one streaming box) and then I would lose OnDemand which I use quite frequently.

TiVO is a concept I want to like, but I just struggle with how it will make my TV watching any better. I have 6 tuners, I have 1tb of space, stuff gets recorded as I schedule it and it plays back without issue.

In my opinion, TiVO needs to start aggressively working with MSOs to integrate access to their OnDemand offerings. Failing that, they need to reach out to the content providers themselves for access to the OnDemand content as a streaming service. There's just a huge gap there and I can't justify a prettier interface as a reason to limit access to content that I'm currently paying for.

Compound that with the fact that they still haven't given Android full functionality and I wouldn't even be getting all the functionality I would be paying TiVO for either.

Your solution is exactly what TiVo is to many. Most cable companies provide a terrible set top box with limited amount of tuners and space. The UI is slow and hard to use. TiVo is a nice upgrade.

Unfortunately, this is changing rapidly. TiVo isn't the huge leap it once was. I think they struggled to get the Roamio where they wanted it and during that time other companies filled in the gap with their boxes.

As it stands, TiVo is a premium product. It works well but there are alternatives that are 'good enough'.

Android support is coming very soon due to them switching to Haxe. They were limited by the Flash framework they picked. Now the company can target multiple devices without much as much development time or bugs. Hopefully this is the sign of rapid development from TiVo.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

Comcast has been rolling out On-Demand depending location (I get it in Chicago).

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have Comcast On Demand in SF, the app isn't great, it doesn't filter out stuff you can't watch and you can't buy anything if you wanted to but it has all the same content.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Anyone know off the top of their head if this'll work?

Old Roamio has recordings on it.
New Roamio is fresh from factory.

Can I take 3TB HDD, put into New, transfer shows from Old to New over network, then take drive out of New and put into Old?

or do I have to set up New, transfer shows to Old, install 3TB HDD in Old, transfer shows from New back to Old?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

jink posted:

Your solution is exactly what TiVo is to many. Most cable companies provide a terrible set top box with limited amount of tuners and space. The UI is slow and hard to use. TiVo is a nice upgrade.

Unfortunately, this is changing rapidly. TiVo isn't the huge leap it once was. I think they struggled to get the Roamio where they wanted it and during that time other companies filled in the gap with their boxes.

As it stands, TiVo is a premium product. It works well but there are alternatives that are 'good enough'.

Android support is coming very soon due to them switching to Haxe. They were limited by the Flash framework they picked. Now the company can target multiple devices without much as much development time or bugs. Hopefully this is the sign of rapid development from TiVo.

I honestly feel like Tivo is inferior to the DVR my local cable company provides. It would be vastly superior if I lived ten miles away in a Comcast zone, but Cox's high-end DVR has everything in my Tivo, with a faster interface along with picture-in-picture and cable out, which no TIVO has.

I only haven't gone back because I'm probably just going to turn cable off all together for the rest of the summer.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Deathlove posted:

Anyone know off the top of their head if this'll work?

Old Roamio has recordings on it.
New Roamio is fresh from factory.

Can I take 3TB HDD, put into New, transfer shows from Old to New over network, then take drive out of New and put into Old?

or do I have to set up New, transfer shows to Old, install 3TB HDD in Old, transfer shows from New back to Old?

Not sure that the HD swap will work. It might since Roamio can format/initialize new drives automatically (since the OS is on flash storage). I had some issues transferring shows from my Premiere to Roamio. Had to manually transfer each one in the classic menus. I am sure they haven't improved this at all. ("I feel that the Roamio is impressive but will be mostly impressive to previous owners of TiVo. Unfortunately their upgrade process is incredibly unfriendly.").

Rick posted:

I honestly feel like Tivo is inferior to the DVR my local cable company provides. It would be vastly superior if I lived ten miles away in a Comcast zone, but Cox's high-end DVR has everything in my Tivo, with a faster interface along with picture-in-picture and cable out, which no TIVO has.

I only haven't gone back because I'm probably just going to turn cable off all together for the rest of the summer.

Well, that's good I guess. The new update made the Roamio perform as fast as I can hit buttons. Not sure what could be a faster interface now.

COX has the Contour around here as well. I didn't like their insistence of having it just to receive channels I am paying for. I also am not sure how the box will work down the road based on past cable box history. Didn't seem like it was worth it over the Roamio which I can sell after use and recoup quite a bit of cash.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I finally got the system update, it's a lot better even on my Premiere. It's kind of funny to see some of the screens still in the old UI like the channel list.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My bookmark keeps lying to me that there's a new post so I'm taking drastic action by making a post of my own.

I'm enjoying how much faster the HD interface is. Just flies along now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

My bookmark keeps lying to me that there's a new post so I'm taking drastic action by making a post of my own.

I'm enjoying how much faster the HD interface is. Just flies along now.

The difference is staggering. I was going to buy a new big Roamio and a Mini but now there's no need.

Who am I kidding, I will get a new Roamio for the living room and get a mini for the master bedroom and then put the two old premieres in the loft and guest room as streaming only (from the Roamio or what has been recorded already) devices.

• Locked thread