Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Mango Polo posted:

Forge World - having no idea of what to do with Tyranids - is now resorting to bashing together random concepts in the hopes of making something cool.

Is everyone else looking at the same model? This guy has a face hugger for a chest. loving best dude ever. The legs look a little awkward but it should be a simple enough fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
It looks like a movie monster designed to almost--but not quite--kill the protagonist that's hiding under the car/bed/rock outcropping.

As an aside, an action movie MC with WS=X and A=X/2, where X is the number of enemy models within, say, 6", could be really cool.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Big Willy Style posted:

Is everyone else looking at the same model? This guy has a face hugger for a chest. loving best dude ever. The legs look a little awkward but it should be a simple enough fix.

Paying FW prices for a fixer-upper is pretty undesirable though

VVVV I hope you're right, but usually that's more common with painted models

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Watch us talk poo poo, and this just be an unflattering angle on a model with good, enjoyable rules.

E: Just realized those legs look like they are from the older hive tyrant model with the big rear end head.
With that chest-maw and a giant tongue in it, why would it ever need to bend down. It's the best part so far.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 16, 2014

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Played against a super repairing Stompa with some pain boy biker support last night with my rhino rush/imp knight/stormtalons list. The Stompa has guns like woah but it had to spend a ton of time shooting my rhinos and little 5 man squads while my knight and chapter master dismantled the biker squads and airplanes mowed down the Gretchen that walked on the board. Game was truly over when my 1HP knight charged the Stompa, put a few hullpoints into it, got explodedon the stompa's swings back, scattered onto the stompa and did 11 hullpoints to the thing in the explosion, which caused the stompa to blow and clear out the dudes my chapter master was caught up with on turn 4. Turn 5 I shoot with hovering airplanes and charge whatever was left in the stompa (some gretchen and lootas with his big mek) with the chapter master for the table.

Stompas are pretty rad and I'm thankful I had the knight to ace it out. I don't know if the repairing trick is the way to go since I think it probably needs more support. Painboy in bike squads was a pretty cool idea. Pretty hard to double them out with shooting unless you have a manticore or something.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I can't decide what the worst part of that model is; the spindly legs, the stupid face, the dumb hat, there's just so much to choose from!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Moola posted:

I can't decide what the worst part of that model is; the spindly legs, the stupid face, the dumb hat, there's just so much to choose from!

I don't even know what it costs, but I feel secure in saying the price is the worst part.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Big Willy Style posted:

It's got some cool details, but the legs are stupid, the claws don't look right, the hat is silly, and it doesn't make up for how cool the maw chest is. It looks like a monstrous creature designed to fight during flood season.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I think it's the fact that it's lower torso is thinner than the upper torso, that makes anything look weird. That and it's wearing a Fedora.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I think it's the fact that it's lower torso is thinner than the upper torso, that makes anything look weird. That and it's wearing a Fedora.

M'hive mind. *Tips chitin*

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Hollismason posted:

I really liked the carapace going over its head until you called it a fedora

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
have you ever even seen a loving fedora

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Mango Polo posted:

:vince:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I'm pretty sure that sculptor has played too much Diablo 3. That Nid is gonna bring you to a REALM OF TER-ROR!

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Naramyth posted:

Played against a super repairing Stompa with some pain boy biker support last night with my rhino rush/imp knight/stormtalons list. The Stompa has guns like woah but it had to spend a ton of time shooting my rhinos and little 5 man squads while my knight and chapter master dismantled the biker squads and airplanes mowed down the Gretchen that walked on the board. Game was truly over when my 1HP knight charged the Stompa, put a few hullpoints into it, got explodedon the stompa's swings back, scattered onto the stompa and did 11 hullpoints to the thing in the explosion, which caused the stompa to blow and clear out the dudes my chapter master was caught up with on turn 4. Turn 5 I shoot with hovering airplanes and charge whatever was left in the stompa (some gretchen and lootas with his big mek) with the chapter master for the table.

Stompas are pretty rad and I'm thankful I had the knight to ace it out. I don't know if the repairing trick is the way to go since I think it probably needs more support. Painboy in bike squads was a pretty cool idea. Pretty hard to double them out with shooting unless you have a manticore or something.

I wasn't expecting a competitive review of a super repairing stompa to be so positive. So even against a solid list it wasn't utter jank?

Did it use a KFF mek for repairs and a shield + the riggers for IWND?

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

have you ever even seen a loving fedora

Don't be mad because we're making fun of something you've already ordered four of.

On a more serious note it's got some cool ideas behind it like the chest maw and the tentacles that come out of the hands, almost like it's something that evolved after the fleet ate too many Emperor's Children, but the spindly legs and stupid hat ruin it for me.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
It looks like a super sized 'gaunt with more pokey bits.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I like the open chest but the lower part of the body looking smaller makes it look weird.

Maybe its just the angle on the picture.

Also that new Knight or whatever is loving bad rear end.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Exinos posted:

Don't be mad because we're making fun of something you've already ordered four of.

I spent $1000 on fedoras last month, thanks for bringing it up.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

You realize you can't eat fedora's right? Some of them are quiet toxic.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Hollismason posted:

They're toxic to wear as well.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hollismason posted:

I think fedoras are actually pretty vocally toxic to tell you the truth.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

PierreTheMime posted:

It would have to delicately lean down from its 40ft height for such a thing. Being so tall the drat thing can't even use its ridiculous talon-claw-things properly against infantry. It would have to resort to punt-kicking things with its dainty hooves.

Most Tyranid bioforms have specific purposes and/or origins. I cannot fathom what purpose this stupid-thing would be useful for. It's too tall to attack infantry, too slender to have the mass to assault Titans, and without any ranged weapons (aside from likely a 6-12" tendril attack with Precision Shot :jerkbag:). I can't wait for it to have S6-7 and a ton of wounds with no decent save and no D-strength anything, having to resort to single Smash attacks which it will miss 1/2 the time because it will be WS3 for no goddamn reason--another glorious Apocalypse-level Tyranid model design. The thing is a Liefeld-level failure visually. And I LIKE Tyranids.

True. Did Forgeworld move to a Right To Work state?

"You sculpted a Tyranid with those idiotic twin claws? lol, yer fired."

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

WhiteWolf123 posted:

I wasn't expecting a competitive review of a super repairing stompa to be so positive. So even against a solid list it wasn't utter jank?

Did it use a KFF mek for repairs and a shield + the riggers for IWND?

It had the KFF and some meks via lootas, some gretchen inside (just hidden scoring basically). I don't think it had IWND. He said he had a ton of repair rerolls though ~something~ and at least one of his rolls was looking for a 3+. Honestly it was so durable that I knew going after it would be a waste unless I could one shot it so I just played it like any other deathstar, kill the support and stand on objectives. It's shooting is super dangerous though and if I felt I had a chance at killing it over the game I would have been tempted to try to burn it down instead of blowing though the support.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Just won a auction for a army with 3 Soul Grinders for 70 bucks. Plus a bunch Khorne dudes and other Daemons. :smug:

Best win yet on Wheel of Ebay.

Also my current favorite Warhammer 40k poo poo that Didn't happen

quote:

I might be "that guy" to be honest I tend to be aggressive and if I think a rule is being done wrong, regardless of who it benefits, I will look it up.

That being said I did have an encounter with one "that guy" that nearly landed me in jail. Back a couple of years ago when I used to play card games, I was in a tournament and ended up playing a couple of people who only occasionally stopped by to play in said tournaments. The majority of of them were decent enough, or at least seemed that way, but there was this one guy that I just disliked from the moment I heard him talking. He was overweight, not obese but he was not going to be running a marathon, and seemed as if he was constantly looking down on everyone. He called people who were three or four years younger than him kid, and would interrupt other people's conversation to ask questions or offer unwanted advice. Anyway after the first two, or maybe it was three not sure anymore, rounds I ended up playing against him. I tried to be nice and polite but the guy kept pushing my buttons, for example I was wearing a band shirt, A7X, and he made remarks about how they were sell-outs or some other such nonsense and kept telling me I shouldn't use certain cards because they were uncompetitive. Not horrible, but irritating none the less. When we were getting near the end of the second game he finally said something that pushed me over the edge, I will refrain from posting what he said since it involved both racial and sexual slurs regarding one of the female gamers in the tournament, after he said that I just let it soak in for a minute. Then I stood up walked around to his side of the table and slugged him as hard as I could right in the middle of his big, irritating, disrespectful face, I will give him credit as a big guy he moved fast. I only managed to punch him three or four more times before some of the other players pulled me away, after that I just grabbed my cards and left. I had no interest in going to jail for assault, and the employee who had been running the tournament was already calling the cops. Never went back there after that.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 16, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
It's so poo poo that didn't happen it didn't even involve warhammer

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I love how that description makes it sound like you are either obese or a marathon runner, with nothing in between.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
A true ham would know that breaking an opponent's models would cause more damage to them than mere punches.

But yeah, that story's totally about Magic or something. So replace models with cards and the same thing would apply.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Mango Polo posted:

M'lan'tai :(

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Whether you can use a card board cut out of a Ork Dreadnought is a hot topic of debate. And yes I know it's not about 40k but it was posted somewhere in relation to it.

I am literally mentally ill.

quote:

As a diagnosed sociopath I would like to point out "that guy" is often from what I've seen is little more that childishness and not in the endearing "everything in the world is a wonder" way. Inability the empathize does not a "that guy" make.

Just gonna break some of your poo poo

quote:

I had a friend (a female one) who, for whatever reason liked going to GW, there was a rather creepy guy who kept hitting on her so I "mistakingly" broke a few of his models.

It's not quiet as good as the female gamers thread but like a close 4th or 5th.

AurumDude
Jul 13, 2014
Mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell
Yeah but I think everyone who plays has either been or seen the face of a rampaging landwhale while losing a game or two. It's like a constant in any nerd-related hobby.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I've seen things you wouldn't believe, grown men weeping over the loss of Eldrad , fist fights over template placement, all these things will be lost in time.. like Marbo in a 6th edition Codex.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Sometimes, things just don’t work out.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Hollismason posted:

I've seen things you wouldn't believe, grown men weeping over the loss of Eldrad , fist fights over template placement, all these things will be lost in time.. like Marbo in a 6th edition Codex.

They will take some time, because sometimes something rises from the swamp of the past to horrify the present.... Trust me

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
If anyone's interested in giving some feedback for the next campaign we're running, I'm going to post it here. ICT Fall Campaign :vomarine:

It's still pretty rough and I'm still fluffing it up and changing things daily. The stuff highlighted in yellow are recent changes and additions. We have 12 players right now, which may expand due to the renewed interest in 40k at our local store. I'm not sure which armies some people will be playing, but we will have at least one army of all the factions for sure. Unlike the last campaign (which I wrote rules for, which were then eviscerated and rewritten by another player in the group) this campaign will be all under my control.

The goal of the campaign is to help everyone gear up for more Apocalypse level games (which is why we're including Lords of War, Formations and Fortifications).

Anyway, if you have time, poke around and shoot me some feedback either here or privately.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

Sometimes, things just don’t work out.

Bad concept, bad execution.

Paging Ghost Hand to thread to defend it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I can see what they are going for as it is certainly a Dynamic model and pose, I dunno have to see it painted.

It's still not terrible even with a fedora.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Honestly the only FW tyranid thing I like at all is the ripper base. I think the hierophant looks ridiculous and the hierodule doesn't really capture the tyranid aesthetic.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I don't get tyranids, they just aren't really for me, but that one seems to have a weird oversized but square jaw, and looks too top heavy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I think it would look a lot better if it was posed as if it was leaping forward instead of sorta toppling over.

• Locked thread