Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Not that it matters much at this point, but Asellus.

I was thinking we could follow Lute's quest with a pretty good one, follow with the worst one, then wrap up with the best. But I guess ending with the two of the best quests works too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

The Y2K problem? Well, I've created a very large microwave. It's about two hundred square...cubic , cubic yards. New Years eve, I intend to enter this
Voting for Riki because it's a perfect example of how to not do game design. And to get the pain train over with.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Riki. Let's just put it behind us.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

When I first played this game as a kid I picked riki as my very first pc. Holy crap trying to learn this game with riki is a nightmare. I would have quit right there if I didn't see my brother playing with blue.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Be honest, if you did Asellus first would you even come back to do Riki?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

MartianAgitator posted:

Be honest, if you did Asellus first would you even come back to do Riki?

I did her second and to this day still haven't beat riki. I have beaten the game with everyone else more than once but gently caress riki forever.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I'll throw another Asellus vote into the void along with a request that she gets an all women party. Really, I think we'd be better off alternating between the best and the worst characters, but if you want to get the bad ones out of the way and end on a streak of awesome, that's fine too.

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.
Am I the only actually like Riki’s quest? I mean as much as I liked any other quest. IMHO Lute’s quest was the worst.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
The main thing with Riki's quest is... much like Asellus is the Mystic Quest and T260G is the Mech Quest, Riki is the Monster Quest. And monsters are the overall weakest type of character in the game, while Riki's quest has lots of unique content that means it's one of the harder quests overall even without that. It has its own special "gently caress you!"s as well, but dude'll get to that.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
The sooner we get through Riki's scenario, the better.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Let's do the Riki questline. I'm not a fan of Asellus' story.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Adding to the Riki pile. Get the terrible out of the way so we can end super high. I'm sorry dude, I'm so sorry.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Riki. I don't have the traumatic memories everyone else seems to have about Riki's quest, sure monsters are super-hard to use but I made do even if I never fully "got" monster mechanics, so let's see what the fuss is all about

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I actually liked Riki's quest. I didn't understand much about it at the time, and I made The Mistake, but I think it was my third or fourth scenario.

Also I went right into Lute's last dungeon first chance I got. Just Lute and Hamilton, Gamesharked to have infinite HP, but doing jack-all for damage. I may or may not have gotten all the way to the last boss like that, but I know I realized my mistake and started over.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Stroth posted:

Lets go ahead and finish strong. Riki

There's one storyline that hasn't even been put to vote and I'm pretty sure that's our finish, and it's gonna be VERY strong. :ssh:

Go with Riki to get the worst this game has to offer out of the way in rapid succession.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Double Rabite posted:

Am I the only actually like Riki’s quest? I mean as much as I liked any other quest. IMHO Lute’s quest was the worst.

Well riki's story is.... Well completely stupid but servicable. The gameplay is the huge problem for me. It is very non saga frontier. I can't describe it more without spoiling how bad it is.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The sooner we're done with Riki the better

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Riki is great heropon! Watch Riki's adventure and be amazed!

Pork Soda
Jan 22, 2004
Scissor Man
Let's just get Riki's stupid story over with. I got burnt hard by its shenanigans when I picked Riki as my first character as a kid.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Riki

Hey, maybe dealing with all the suck now will help you clear the punishing, unforgiving stories of Asellus and Red later on!

Sorry, can't type it with a straight face.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Riki is great heropon! Watch Riki's adventure and be amazed!

No... just... no. Riki can not hold a candle to Riki. He likes fighting easy monsters, which Riki is one of them.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

quote:

Riki. Save the best for last.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Shitenshi posted:

Hey, maybe dealing with all the suck now will help you clear the punishing, unforgiving stories of Asellus and Red later on!

Sorry, can't type it with a straight face.

Both of them have "gently caress you" moments easily as bad as the worst one in Riki's quest, if we count the shenanigans regarding Red's stats as a gently caress you. Asellus's problems aren't at the rear end-end of the game, though.

Also, all of the quests are easy with enough grinding. :downs:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You said something about a sidequest, but that looked like just a normal dungeon exploration.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

Both of them have "gently caress you" moments easily as bad as the worst one in Riki's quest, if we count the shenanigans regarding Red's stats as a gently caress you. Asellus's problems aren't at the rear end-end of the game, though.

Also, all of the quests are easy with enough grinding. :downs:
Yeah, I didn't even think of how goofy Red's quirks can be, but it's still fun, and there's not enough opportunities to abuse Red's button unless you go out of your way to cripple yourself, and that can be a drat chore in itself with the way Red works. Asellus though. I started that game not knowing what the hell to do with Mystics and aside from the trouble with the "Tag!" bosses midway through, I still managed to beat it. Probably wouldn't even have made it past the Devil Squid or whatever the gently caress he was called if I didn't snag Asura though, forget the Sages.

Riki? Monsters are rear end, you're pretty much limited to them, and there's so many poo poo moments I can't decide what the gently caress you moment everybody talking about is, although if we're talking strictly endgame, then I do know and that is a bitch.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Riki, get it out of the way, so we can get to the good stuff afterwards!

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Shitenshi posted:

Yeah, I didn't even think of how goofy Red's quirks can be, but it's still fun, and there's not enough opportunities to abuse Red's button unless you go out of your way to cripple yourself, and that can be a drat chore in itself with the way Red works.

Whaaat, I don't get you guys, Red was the easiest for me. Probably because I got DSC for my first and only time during my first playthrough, and no boss lasted longer than a couple turns. It helps if you swoled the gently caress up and pillaged the gently caress out of Sei's tomb during your stop in Shrike (recruiting Cotton helps, it gives Death Knights another target :v:). Leveling up too much makes the fights during the pirate boarding much harder though

Shitenshi posted:

Probably wouldn't even have made it past the Devil Squid or whatever the gently caress he was called if I didn't snag Asura though, forget the Sages.

I pity you if you didn't swole the gently caress up during your stay at the castle

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jul 18, 2014

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

hackbunny posted:

Whaaat, I don't get you guys, Red was the easiest for me. Probably because I got DSC for my first and only time during my first playthrough, and no boss lasted longer than a couple turns. It helps if you swoled the gently caress up and pillaged the gently caress out of Sei's tomb during your stop in Shrike (recruiting Cotton helps, it gives Death Knights another target :v:). Leveling up too much makes the fights during the pirate boarding much harder though

Red's only really difficult on a first playthrough, when you may not realize that his transformation deprives him of any post-battle stat/magic/gun tech gains. If you abuse your crutch, you don't get any stronger.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Glazius posted:

You said something about a sidequest, but that looked like just a normal dungeon exploration.

It probably is closer to that. I just kind of got used to referring to any sort of doing a dungeon to completion a "sidequest" regardless of whether or not there's a goal greater than "get to the end"

Also, Red's quest is pretty great but there is one huge dick move that actually prevented me from beating it the first time through, but that's a story for when we get there. It's still no comparison to the constant and varied dick moves that Riki's quest throws at you.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

Red's only really difficult on a first playthrough, when you may not realize that his transformation deprives him of any post-battle stat/magic/gun tech gains. If you abuse your crutch, you don't get any stronger.
It only works when everybody is knocked out save Mechs right? There are some fights where you start with a full party and knocking everybody out just to use it is annoying enough, and his crutch alone isn't enough to win, so you'd have to make it even more arduous by reviving everybody from scratch after using it.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

dude789 posted:

It probably is closer to that. I just kind of got used to referring to any sort of doing a dungeon to completion a "sidequest" regardless of whether or not there's a goal greater than "get to the end"

This pretty much is just Sidequest: The Game after all.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

Shitenshi posted:

It only works when everybody is knocked out save Mechs right? There are some fights where you start with a full party and knocking everybody out just to use it is annoying enough, and his crutch alone isn't enough to win, so you'd have to make it even more arduous by reviving everybody from scratch after using it.

At least he gets FinalCrusade which is your get out of jail free card in that situation. Still a pain though. However, I think it's a really fun button to use, no matter how inconvenient. :v: I'm sure Dude will have plenty to say on it when we get there though. If he survives the pain of Riki, that is. :ohdear:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Shitenshi posted:

I think if they're paralyzed or messed it can work too.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm just thinking how much it would suck to have completed several stories with system data and all and then get to Lute, save in the final dungeon without knowing what you're doing.

Oh god I'm crying just thinking about it.

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

Forgotten by everyone? Kanako's fault.

FeyerbrandX posted:

I think if they're paralyzed or messed it can work too.

In a stunning display of using loopholes to better serve you, I think it even works when they're merely blind, too.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Kliff posted:

In a stunning display of using loopholes to better serve you, I think it even works when they're merely blind, too.

I wish there were shades that auto blinded your characters. That would have been perfect.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Shitenshi posted:

Nope.

(spoiled in case OP wants to talk about it later)
As long as they're blinded, messed, paralyzed or asleep, in other words unable to see clearly or look at Red, you can use that move.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Shwqa posted:

I wish there were shades that auto blinded your characters. That would have been perfect.

Actually, if Dark Shift or Light Shift had the additional effect of letting you change immediately after it was cast. It'd make Space Magic worth while.

Mootiman
May 9, 2005

Shitenshi posted:

I'm just thinking how much it would suck to have completed several stories with system data and all and then get to Lute, save in the final dungeon without knowing what you're doing.

Oh god I'm crying just thinking about it.

I think you could still use the system data and start over with Lute. The game isn't that cruel is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Shwqa posted:

When I first played this game as a kid I picked riki as my very first pc. Holy crap trying to learn this game with riki is a nightmare. I would have quit right there if I didn't see my brother playing with blue.

Same here. I picked him because he was a cool green monster and the game proceeded to murder me for it. I don't think I've ever successfully beaten a SaGa story though, so I might just be bad.

• Locked thread