Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

StarkRavingMad posted:

Clockwork Empires - Early Access to Mr. Steelcogworth's Tasteful Nuts

The only better thread titles exist on higher thresholds of consciousness, of which only those in the depths of insanity have even a glimmering of understanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I loved Dredmor but $30 for "Earliest" Access is above my budget for a Steam game right now. Hope it's cheaper than that on release.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

nvining posted:

As a random note: based on people's experiences here, I got a couple of random goons to test it with elderly hardware (the AMD Athlon wielding gents from before); it seems to be fine. So our minimum spec requirements are Probably Conservative.

I've been playing this whole time on an Athlon II x4 640 and Radeon HD 5770 and I am far from the worst equipped of the testers from a quick glance over the system specs thread. (Nvining-senpai will never notice me :( ) Intel hasn't changed their branding so i5 covers cpus that are just as old as the Athlon II.

Midrena
May 2, 2009
Is the price going to be going up (or down) as it goes toward release like some other early access games have done with pricing, or will the price stay the same?

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Midrena posted:

Is the price going to be going up (or down) as it goes toward release like some other early access games have done with pricing, or will the price stay the same?

From the gaslamp forums

Nicholas posted:

So far, we are only stating that $29.99 USD is the price for Earliest Access right now; our official policy is to not commit to anything, and then make a funny joke about it instead. More generally, we can't see into the future, and so we don't want to say something like "this will be $29.99 USD forever" or "we will announce a complicated, multi-tier kickstarter-based pricing scheme" or "we'll only take Digglebucks", only to realize that this was a terrible idea (especially the Digglebucks) and have to back out of it, thus annoying people.

I will say that we argued long, and hard, over picking $29.99, and that it's based on a certain amount of competitive analysis versus other titles on Steam in similar genres, both from other indie studios and from higher-tier/AAA publishers.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Clockwork Empires: HA HA HA HA, *gasp* MUA-HAH HA HA...

Midrena
May 2, 2009

LtSmash posted:

From the gaslamp forums

Awesome, thanks for the info.

Edit: Daynab, the first link in the OP (to the earliest access post) has a small typo at the end with an extra " in there. :)

Midrena fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 17, 2014

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Read the DF Arena Challenge on the LP Forum while you wait anxiously.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426500

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Midrena posted:

Awesome, thanks for the info.

Edit: Daynab, the first link in the OP (to the earliest access post) has a small typo at the end with an extra " in there. :)

Got it, thanks!

I should probably mention that we have an irc channel at irc.quakenet.org #gaslampgames, webchat's here if you need. https://webchat.quakenet.org/
Come hang out!
Can't guarantee any of the devs will be around often since they're super busy, but we usually hover around 30 people and I moderate it, so don't be jerks!

edit: as much as I love that reference it would be false advertising since Mr. Steelcogworth's nuts have been removed :v:

Daynab fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 17, 2014

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Daynab posted:

Got it, thanks!

I should probably mention that we have an irc channel at irc.quakenet.org #gaslampgames, webchat's here if you need. https://webchat.quakenet.org/
Come hang out!
Can't guarantee any of the devs will be around often since they're super busy, but we usually hover around 30 people and I moderate it, so don't be jerks!

edit: as much as I love that reference it would be false advertising since Mr. Steelcogworth's nuts have been removed :v:

Mrs. Steelcogworth's nuts then?

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

Daynab posted:

Yes, but where were the nuts removed *from*?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

nvining posted:

Yes, but where were the nuts removed *from*?
game/text.xml

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Earliest Access FAQ: https://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/07/17/clockwork-empires-earliest-access-faq/

quote:

Some questions and comments about tomorrow’s Earliest Access launch:

Q. “When will builds go out?”
A. “Roughly 10AM PST.”

Q. “The game crashed, broke, or otherwise did a terrible and monstrous thing. It is now sitting in my living room and hogging the couch, throwing empty beer cans at the cat. It has given me Ghost Neck, and many other diseases that we read about on your blog. What do I do? Who do I complain to?”
A. “If you want to submit the bug quickly and get back into the game, your best bet is the support form, which can (as of some time this evening) be found at portal.clockworkempires.com. Our forums also have a list of known bugs and we regularly check for new ones at community.gaslampgames.com.

Q. “Is there OS X or Linux support?”
A. “Not for Earliest Access, no. We have unpolished, internal ports that are not ready for prime-time. We hope to have this up for the first or second incarnation of Steam Early Access in August.”

Q. “What’s the ETA on save games?”
A. “Save games have a critical bug in them right now, which we are still hunting down. Micah has not moved from his desk for the past one hundred and sixty-eight hours and has now grown some kind of third eye in the middle of his forehead. Expect these to show up next week.”

Q. “In the eight hours since you invented it, Earliest Access has ruined PC Gaming forever! What IS THIS THING?! How do we know what to expect, and where should we go to understand what we’re buying?”
A. “An enormous project status page, clearly outlining all the work we have done in the past two-and-a-half years as well as the expected roadmap for everything going forward, can be found here.”

Q. “What are testers saying about the current state of the game?”
A. “The earliest build is best described as an occult cabbage-farming simulator with fishpeople.”

Q. “Are you fishpeople?”
A. “Blup. I mean, no.”

Daynab fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 17, 2014

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Daynab posted:

Earliest Access FAQ: https://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/07/17/clockwork-empires-earliest-access-faq/

A. “Save games have a critical bug in them right now, which we are still hunting down. Micah has not moved from his desk for the past one hundred and sixty-eight hours and has now grown some kind of third eye in the middle of his forehead. Expect these to show up next week.”

The savegames, or the forehead eyes?

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Seventh Arrow posted:

Why can't it be both?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Seventh Arrow posted:

It's a surprise!

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
Time will tell. Oh yes. Time. Will. Tell. :stare:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Daynab posted:

Q. “What are testers saying about the current state of the game?”
A. “The earliest build is best described as an occult cabbage-farming simulator with fishpeople.”

Confirmed. Previous versions were also Frustration Simulators but this has been somewhat remedied.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

I very much like cabbage-farming simulator 2014

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
Anyone know if we're still on for approximately 10am PST? I appreciate approximately can mean hours, don't worry.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Daynab posted:

Got it, thanks!

Come hang out!

Well, if we're trying to be honest, you've already stated the obvious thread name choice in the FAQ:

Clockwork Empires: An Occult Cabbage-Farming Simulator With Fishpeople

Good luck on the earliest access launch!

(edit): Nevermind, didn't notice you already changed it to something similar!

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Gooses and Geeses posted:

Anyone know if we're still on for approximately 10am PST? I appreciate approximately can mean hours, don't worry.
Still on schedule according to nvining.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
So on this Yellowstone biome- as we all know Yellowstone sits on a super massive volcano. Will this be an issue in game? There might be Something sleeping under it and it might not be a good idea to wake Him/It up :ohdear:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Kinetica posted:

So on this Yellowstone biome- as we all know Yellowstone sits on a super massive volcano. Will this be an issue in game? There might be Something sleeping under it and it might not be a good idea to wake Him/It up :ohdear:

She prefers to be called Susan.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Yeah, as far as I know we are still on for 10 AM PDT - a build I like went out last night (Revision 27B), it's pushed to Steam, and somebody at Humble just needs to wait for their alarm to go off and push the build out the door.

:toot:

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?

We need some kind of terrifying giant :toot: to fit this game. With fangs. And the toot sound is strong enough to break bones.

Congratulations on launch day!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I hunger for sweet, sweet Cabbage-flesh.
:iit:

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Oh right, you huys still can't play, huh :smuggo:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
5 more hours for me :(

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Got my key! It's up!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I just loaded up the Humble Bundle store page and was able to redeem my key on Steam. I'm at work so I'm not sure if I'm able to download yet, but that's an important first step.

e: fb :argh:

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Something must be wrong, when I try and connect to Steam to redeem my key, the page is in Finnish or something. Not that there's anything wrong with the Finnish language! I just can't read the directions.

Edit: Never mind, Chrome didn't give me the option to translate until just now for some reason.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

:frogsiren: it's up??

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm currently installing it on Steam.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Good to see you will finally accept my hard-earned money. Here you go. :homebrew:

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
Does this make everyone else's PC chug pretty hard or is that something I should submit?

Not complaining, I knew what I was buying, just curious.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Schwack posted:

Does this make everyone else's PC chug pretty hard or is that something I should submit?

Not complaining, I knew what I was buying, just curious.

There are definitely some things in the renderer that are pretty unoptimized. This is on the "not quite immediate, but fairly immediate" TODO list.

What's your CPU and video card, and what resolution are you playing at?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

nvining posted:

There are definitely some things in the renderer that are pretty unoptimized. This is on the "not quite immediate, but fairly immediate" TODO list.

What's your CPU and video card, and what resolution are you playing at?

I started windowed at 1600x900 with an i5-2500K and a fairly old GTX 260.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Schwack posted:

I started windowed at 1600x900 with an i5-2500K and a fairly old GTX 260.

Yeah, the video card is probably the bottleneck here. I will be seeing what I can do about some more optimization for older graphics cards in a bit, after the initial fires are out. In the mean time, you might want to change your shadow map resolution in the options and turn some settings down; you can either do it from the Configuration menu (which will be good, because I don't think anybody actually uses the configuration menu and it could use more testing) or by hacking the XML yourself in the Gaslamp Games\Clockwork Empires directory in your documents folder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
What kind of reports are you primarily interested in right now, nvining? Just bug reports or stuff like overall design criticisms?

• Locked thread