Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nousername
Mar 1, 2005
mainliner
HAY! I'm still around here and there. I hop on teamspeak to get a hold of you but you're never on! I've been extremely busy though lately since I start working next week. I am trying to get everything in order since I also have to get an apartment by this saturday/sunday and move everything I have up to Austin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

nousername posted:

HAY! I'm still around here and there. I hop on teamspeak to get a hold of you but you're never on! I've been extremely busy though lately since I start working next week. I am trying to get everything in order since I also have to get an apartment by this saturday/sunday and move everything I have up to Austin.

Ah, nice. Totally forgot about that job you got. I hardly ever get on the TS, I log in from time to time and talk to Tarcix/Roy, but, meh. Been pretty busy myself during the days, can't really play Euro times anymore. If you got Skype/AIM/whatever, let me know.

nousername
Mar 1, 2005
mainliner
I have steam? You can hit me up on there. my username is Lash and I have an icon of a moose.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

nousername posted:

I have steam? You can hit me up on there. my username is Lash and I have an icon of a moose.

5,333 people with Lash in their name.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Giving the live servers a shot after nearly 6 years away. Transferred my Cabalist, Skald, and Druid to the Ywain cluster and I'm liking it so far. All I have to play on is a 7 year-old laptop (2 GHz core 2 duo with 1 gig of ram), so it is nice that it works well on shitbarn equipment since the game is so old now :v:. I probably won't continue past my 7 day free period though, since I really don't have time to do much other than occasionally play in Thidranki on my mercenary or friar or Leirvik on my Reaver.

My skald and druid were on Merlin and Guinevere, respectively, and my Cabalist was on the classic server (Gareth, I think?). I was disappointed to see that they killed off the classic server, so when Uthgard is back up and running, I'll give that a shot because I liked the classic game experience a whole lot. gently caress having to deal with MLs, Champion levels, artifacts, and all that bullshit. I would appreciate it if the instanced dungeon thing made an appearance on Uthgard, but that's not a deal breaker for me.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Who were you on Guinevere. I played zhalfer/zhyres on Albion.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
I actually played mostly Alb/Guin initially. I had a mercenary named Readan that I got to level 47 back when leveling was actually a righteous pain the balls and then I quit. A while lated, an in-game friend (cleric by the name of Arendra) wanted to play Hib but was a little too invested in her cleric to delete and reroll. I loaned her my account and she got a druid to level 50 and RR3L8, with a badass template including artifacts and max oc crafted gear. I think the druid's name was Taliyea? I do remember seeing the Zhalfer name from time to time before I quit.

I can almost guarantee nobody ever heard of me, unless you happened to be in the guild Honour. I never put the time into the game that it would have demanded for me to be well-known like a Montish or a Tyfud. Also, my computer was kind of a shitpile (which, at 13 years old, still runs just fine) and any large-scale RvR or raids were always slide shows. I suppose I could have upgraded, but my money was all tied up in important stuff like binge drinking.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I am positive I grouped with Readan the merc while leveling up my paladin(Zhalfer). Honour guild sounds familiar. I was in Ridda Sigor(Riders of the Mark), Orchid Fair, and Dark Auspices.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Is anyone still playing on Genesis? I really had a blast there when the server opened. Server stability issues drove me and many others away.

I would be willing to give this another shot.

Genesis Support posted:

It has been a while since you received an email from Genesis and we believe it is time to give you an update about what has happened during the past 3 months.

We are aware that many of you have left us during a time where the server has been almost unplayable and we would like to take the opportunity to update you on the progress our server has made in the past months and in addition to announce our "Welcome to Genesis" XP and RP event.

Let's start with the highlights we have been working on over the past 3 months:
•No server crashes/server related lags anymore no matter how many players are online, which means that the Server stability has been drastically improved since launch
•We have moved patch target to 1.65 (better balanced than 1.62)
•Over 550 bugs and issues have been corrected, just check out our Bug Tracker
•We have several new and talented staff members who work on correcting game issues daily
•The staff communicates frequently with the players on the forums and in-game
•Rapid response to nearly all in-game appeals. (some issues are more complicated and take time or player monitoring)
•We have launched several Social Media campaigns to gain more new players and to stay in touch and we can already see an increase of returning and brand new players
•Regular Patches (Almost weekly)

We are aware that there are still many things to be fixed - But let's be realistic: Nobody is perfect, nor are we. But we listen to all our players regardless what their play preferences are and we are working hard and constantly to provide a stable and fun game environment for all those who share the love of Dark Age of Camelot with us.

To welcome all new and returning players and to say thank you to those who are still there, we would like to announce our "Welcome to Genesis" event:

The event will begin on the 17th of July at 0700 CET and continue until 21 July at 0700 EST.

Details:

We will incorporate increased experience (XP) during the event to help newcomers get on their feet and enjoy gaining their initial levels.

All frontier zones, including Darkness Falls will receive 1.5x standard Realm Points (RP) for the entire event.

We here at Genesis HQ. would like to extend our warmest invitation to come back and see what improvements have been made to our server. The only thing missing is YOU!

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
Any goons still playing?

I'd imagine the server is just completely dead, still.

I was having login issues a few months back and it was a ghost town anyway so I just gave up.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
I log in every now and then to stay in contact with some people. There's still "some" RvR during euro prime time. 1-3 groups if anything. No goons as far as I know.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Logged in at 10pm EST last night, Friday. There were 17 Hibs online. 12 level 50's in the frontier area, and some other assorted level 23-45 people in all different zones. I zone over to the frontier and nearly all of the level 50s are just standing there idling. No chatter, no intel reports, no mids camping the gates, nothing.

ROBUST SERVER.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

gently caress YOU UTHGARD COME BACK UP, ALREADY.

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

Kinda sorta wanting to do this 7 day return thing for the Live servers. There a decent amount of Goons anywhere? [my main account is apparently lost in the ether so I'll be starting from scratch]

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I won't be touching the Live servers again, not even with a 10ft pole.

The last DaoC goon revival we had was on the Genesis server, which was actually pretty darn good.
Unfortunately due to horrible server stability issues the population died. I don't know how the current situation is though, because the server admins tried to rekindle our interest.

If a new freeserver pops up with the same group-exp bonus as Genesis had, I would be willing to reroll.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Uthgard is still being worked on, that's about it on the horizon. It won't have the same xp rates as Genesis, not even close. It'll be era-accurate xp rates (SI expansion, so, 5-7+ days /played for 50 if you really go at it/know what youre doing.)

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

I'm honestly fine with slower xp. Uthgard has proven that it's here to stay so you don't really have to worry about spending loads of time on a character only to have it wiped. I enjoyed Genesis... in that I was playing DAoC again and able to make a lot of BG characters just for fun but it was pretty evident from the get-go it was going to be a distraction at the very best.

Any particular reason on avoiding Live until Uth comes up? [do we have an ETA on that, btw? And is there a Goon guild that will be rolling together?]

I just need my fix

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
The Group EXP boost was the one thing that drew me to Genesis, as I was able to play support classes and -immediately- find groups. It did not even matter if they were 3-7 levels higher.

People always want to group on Genesis, as you were never "less optimal" with more people.

In regular experience like Uthgard, on a fresh server, it will be the typical solo/powerlevel classes which will be raised first mostly, to have them boost alts that are actually pvp-worthy.

My biggest gripe with all current/recent/past MMO's is that the 1-50 grind is mainly a Solo experience. Very little incentive is given to grouping. On the contrary : where in old games you had classes that weren't as good for soloing, the recent batch of MMO's have mad ALL classes solo viable.
Adding the fact that most experience comes from quest completion and not from grinding/dungeon crawling there is hardly any socialization going on.

Supershards where it is highly unlikely to cross the same unknown player twice don't help either.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I found the best way to level on Uthgard was Summoner's Hall EXP raids. Basically you could get from level 40-48/49 in 4-6 hours. I feel like I want to roll albion again, as I like their classes the most. Midgard is pretty tempting, though. We'll see how it goes once they have SI, of course. I'm guessing it'll be SI dungeons all the way. I kind of loath thinking about leading another Caer Sidi raid.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
Uthgard was just awful, I played it several times during it's lifetime and was driven away at each stage.

I got the feeling that they basically cared nothing about the people on the server at all. When I last played, nobody grouped outside of their cliques ever and were constantly bitching about people with suboptimal builds.

When I got into the high-end, everything was retarded inflated in price, and I could basically never ever hope to have the best stuff that didn't drop anymore, but was really common a year prior, people would have 50 rings for sale at like 25 plat each. No thanks. I'll just get owned constantly by the well-equipped zerg trying to grind post RR10. Or, rather, just not play at all and the server will go down because nobody new had been able to compete for a few years.

Genesis found a pretty sweet spot, I think, you can argue for slower EXP rates but if it weren't for .. Carl? the server would still be jumping. His attempts to keep the game "fun for everyone" was ultimately the undoing of the server.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Carl?

As I remember the start of the downfall of the Genesis population was when they gave a bunch of (pve?) guilds an instant lvl 50 reroll + 20p to Albion. This was regarded as a highly unfair and random act.

If a fresh new server gets launched with
-SI expansion, with the new RA's
-Moderate Grouping Exp Bonus (I won't ever do a 1-50 solo again)
-1 account/player limit (they did seem to have gotten that right on Genesis, didn't see a single buffbot)
-Stable server/connection

I'll sign up.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Evernoob posted:

Carl?

As I remember the start of the downfall of the Genesis population was when they gave a bunch of (pve?) guilds an instant lvl 50 reroll + 20p to Albion. This was regarded as a highly unfair and random act.
Yeah that was Carl or Karl or something (pretty sure) who convinced a midgard guild to switch because Albion was sucking in RVR.

If he'd have just left well enough alone Alb would have made a comeback, my understanding was they weren't even hardly doing RVR since they were all busy finishing their gear at that point.

Edit: His name may not be Karl but it was that one GM. He did some other really stupid poo poo. Coupled with the server cap/stability issues, it really drove people away. I don't think it was any one thing, but his antics were the biggest part, I feel.

Edit2: It was Cody, not Carl. Similar names I guess, it's been a few months. :v:

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 27, 2014

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Tom Powers posted:

Uthgard was just awful, I played it several times during it's lifetime and was driven away at each stage.

I got the feeling that they basically cared nothing about the people on the server at all. When I last played, nobody grouped outside of their cliques ever and were constantly bitching about people with suboptimal builds.

When I got into the high-end, everything was retarded inflated in price, and I could basically never ever hope to have the best stuff that didn't drop anymore, but was really common a year prior, people would have 50 rings for sale at like 25 plat each. No thanks. I'll just get owned constantly by the well-equipped zerg trying to grind post RR10. Or, rather, just not play at all and the server will go down because nobody new had been able to compete for a few years.

Genesis found a pretty sweet spot, I think, you can argue for slower EXP rates but if it weren't for .. Carl? the server would still be jumping. His attempts to keep the game "fun for everyone" was ultimately the undoing of the server.

Genesis didn't find a sweet spot as everyone abandoned the server/their characters after some relatively minor poo poo. There wasn't a single event that caused it. One event made some leave, another some more, it just added up along with the standard run off of people that weren't actually going to play for more than a month or two to just about everyone. It was sad, you could actually watch chunks of the population disappear after each gently caress up. Anyone that actually RvRed didn't care about the alb stuff, because, hey, more RPs. Prior to the Alb fiasco there was only one alb guild that RvRed regularly. The Mid guild that got transplanted with all that never RvRed as mid, and then never showed their faces on Alb.
Overall Cody was bad for the server, definitely. He was supposed to be a community manager, basically a translator. Yet he had power to do lots of stupid poo poo on his own.

Uthgard did make some really mind boggling bad decisions towards the end, like shutting down Tajendi. Which made 0 sense whatsoever, even with the server owner and all the admins having had an outspoken hatred for the place since it was first implemented. I could understand shutting it down if you had SI ready, but, yeah, they didn't, and still don't.
Uthgard was very cliquish, but DAoC always was outside of the zergs. And it's just the hard facts about DAoC that each class has a relatively few if not only 1 viable spec.
I really can't speak for templating on Uthgard post Tajendi, but prior to that, high end templates were still extremely expensive, as deep Taj2 runs had never been common on that server. (All the items that were 20+p were from far in Taj2)

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

So are there any servers that aren't poo poo?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

madpanda posted:

Sadly no. Its just a different brand of bullshit, so find one that youre willing to put up with.

Personally I just hop back on live whenever I get the itch for some MMO PvP. I prefer leveling a new character as quickly as possible so its the easiest choice for me. I dont care much about 15 year old PvE since I did it when it was current content a hundred times over (since thats how many times you need to do it for a level :v:), and thats what most free shards seem to want to emulate.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Genesis is still around and peaks around 300-400 players. Leirvik is highly active, the 40-44 BG. 50 rvr is somewhat active, but mostly dominated by high RRs that have kept playing this whole time.

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

Decided to bite and take the 7 day free activation for my old accounts!

Apparently my main account was stolen some years ago and I can't get it back so I have a buffbot account with no money and no RvR characters :|

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

madpanda posted:

Uthgard when it relaunches. :v:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I burnt out on PvP servers long ago. It was fun so a time, rolling around a RR12 armsman just wrecking face with a 6 speed polearm and MLs.

I find it said, to this day, that no mmo has come out that I don't laugh at and compare to daoc. Maybe I'm jaded, but I don't think so.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Kazvall posted:

I burnt out on PvP servers long ago. It was fun so a time, rolling around a RR12 armsman just wrecking face with a 6 speed polearm and MLs.

I find it said, to this day, that no mmo has come out that I don't laugh at and compare to daoc. Maybe I'm jaded, but I don't think so.

Modern MMO PvP is all about trying to make the next big esport, which usually involves putting huge restrictions on everything. DAoC was just wide open make your own fun PvP.

And I miss it so. :(

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Kazvall posted:

Christ, I should proof read my posts sometimes. This is terrible, hahah.

I hope Uthgard comes up this year. Probably not, but a guy can hope. I know Diablo3 won't hold my attention for long enough.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
The wait till Camelot Unchained is still long. Mid 2016 most likely. In the last few updates they seem to have steered away from some DaoC concepts, which isn't per sé a bad thing. They never claimed to develop DaoC2.

Elder Scrolls Online RvR is currently the closest you can get to DAoC's RvR, it's not bad at all. Unfortunately like many siege warfare situations, Ranged damage is king there. All classes having access to ranged attacks only makes it worse.
Some small gang roaming pvp is possible, but the "combat swords" on the map indicating where the fights are happening will inevitabely lead the zerg towards you. (Exactly the same happened in Guildwars 2, but with a much smaller map, so even quicker response times).

At the moment the only game I know where small gang warfare/roaming is possible, is EVE Online. But unlike where the grouping mechanic in DaoC enforces you to travel in multiples of 8, there is no restriction to the roaming's fleet size in EVE. So "Fair Fights" are not existant in EVE.

The only way modern games manage to simulate "Fair Fights" is in an organized Battleground environment, which in itself is not a bad gamemode, but is not what DaoC veterants crave.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
I wish I had hope for CU being more than a boring piece of poo poo, like Fury Online, or some other arena based/instant action pvp game.

If Uthgard is this year it'll be late. The devs are all the type that like to brag constantly about going outside. Though maybe they'll be having some ski trips with all the donation money this year, so maybe not.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Uthgard should have stayed up. I kinda understand why they took it down, but genesis is poo poo so they just got worked up over nothing.

I miss my old daoc friends like angry mother and the waffles. Its waffles right not some other food?

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 12, 2014

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

I'm enjoying playing on live again which somewhat shocks me.

Having played 85% Hib, 15% Mid through most of my career I started Live again as an Alb [Since I lost my account apparently]. I quickly remembered why I didn't care for albs and rerolled Hib and haven't looked back.

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK

Kazvall posted:

Uthgard should have stayed up. I kinda understand why they took it down, but genesis is poo poo so they just got worked up over nothing.

I miss my old daoc friends like angry mother and the waffles. Its waffles right not some other food?

The golden age is over.

I play ESO once in a while now if I want to get my mmo/rvr fix. I definitely miss grouping with people like you had to in DAoC, but the gameplay is so smooth I don't think I could ever go back.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Kazvall posted:

Definitely waffles! We tried out ESO but didn't stick with it. ESO felt tiny with its sharded Cyrodiil zone, and it was just full of zergs.

We're keeping an eye on Camelot Unchained, but mostly just hoping Broadsword has something cool planned.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

BUT WHO WILL TOUCH SCOODLES DOODLE

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

LoreOfSerpents posted:

Definitely waffles! We tried out ESO but didn't stick with it. ESO felt tiny with its sharded Cyrodiil zone, and it was just full of zergs.

We're keeping an eye on Camelot Unchained, but mostly just hoping Broadsword has something cool planned.

So the question is: what would you do with the game on the live servers to improve it? If I pointed the developers to this thread to read it, what is the top wishlist of things-that-should-be-done (preferably those without needing a ton of resources to implement) and why?

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Warbadger posted:

So the question is: what would you do with the game on the live servers to improve it? If I pointed the developers to this thread to read it, what is the top wishlist of things-that-should-be-done (preferably those without needing a ton of resources to implement) and why?

If you are talking about DAOC Live, I think it's time to make it F2P.

• Locked thread