Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Seriously is pretty loving funny its like a endless parody of gaming culture.

Gaming culture, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

fuckin lol haha those crazy esports dudes playing video games on the interent and making a loving ton of money lol ! but seriously its not sports

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Iggy Koopa posted:

fuckin lol haha those crazy esports dudes playing video games on the interent and making a loving ton of money lol ! but seriously its not sports

What are you talking about they are clearly athletes.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

when did bobby lee start playing star craft

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I'd rather watch this then people stuffing hot dogs down their throat with buns that they dip in water, and also don't even use condiments. For shame, ESPN

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The amount of money they get back after taxes and after dividing it, is less than I make per year on my stocks and bonds.

Spending 10+ years playing a videogame to earn that amount of cash is not that great a return.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i get 18k a year from my government for having a broke nfucking brain so i would rather get whatever they make for playing a video game, but im bad tat the games they play oops oh well

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Sitting in an air conditioned box inside an air conditioned stadium next to an air conditioned hotel with restaurants every 5 feet isn't a sport. Golf is more of a sport at least you are outside walking around when you aren't riding a little cart or paying a poor to haul your bag around.

That said I hope noted racist Chinese team Newbee wins.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Seriously the amount of effort and spreadsheets they put into trying to one up each other in the game really does make me question why the hell they're not investing at least on the side.

The only official and professional e-sport is probably Brood Wars and everything else is just in it's shadow.

America Rocks
Mar 23, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

The amount of money they get back after taxes and after dividing it, is less than I make per year on my stocks and bonds.

Spending 10+ years playing a videogame to earn that amount of cash is not that great a return.

poo poo I knew I should have gone into the career of 'being rich'

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

The Taint Reaper posted:

Seriously the amount of effort and spreadsheets they put into trying to one up each other in the game really does make me question why the hell they're not investing at least on the side.

The only official and professional e-sport is probably Brood Wars and everything else is just in it's shadow.

wil lyou teach me how to invest at least a small amount of money so i can stop bing poor thank you

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

America Rocks posted:

poo poo I knew I should have gone into the career of 'being rich'
It's my middle name. I wouldn't call it a career though, since what's in a name?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Chinatown posted:

What are you talking about they are clearly athletes.

aw man chin up, big guy

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

They look more dead than the people who host the Gameshow Network Shows.

I mean in the end that's what e-sports really are. They're like being on a game show. You don't make a career usually about profiting from being a contestant on a gameshow. Some people have, but you really gotta be on the ball. The money from things like that are just a windfall, they're not something that's considered reliable income.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
my coworker took three days off work to drive down there to watch

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
dota sucks

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Doobie noooooooooooo

ya

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
There's nothing but white people in the entire place.

It's like a Chik-fil-A, but larger and has more oil.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

The Taint Reaper posted:

That's okay, though, 'cause really who wants to be near blacks?

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

Harrower posted:

racist Chinese team

this is similar to the phrase "fat american team"

just leave the first word out we all know what you mean

Mao Mix
May 11, 2010

by Ion Helmet

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i like that guys tie but only in an abstract way

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's like a Chik-fil-A, but larger and has more oil.

asians

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Well I'm not going to be drinking any of the Coke there either.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

The Taint Reaper posted:

They look more dead than the people who host the Gameshow Network Shows.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

The Taint Reaper posted:

The small amount that the players get says to me that despite all appearances, no one in charge is actually taking e-sports seriously and they're just using it as a scam to milk money off of suburbanites with too much disposable income.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

The Brown Menace posted:

aw man chins up, big guy

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Yaldabaoth posted:

The small amount that the players get says to me that despite all appearances, no one in charge is actually taking e-sports seriously and they're just using it as a scam to milk money off of suburbanites with too much disposable income.

This is pretty much true, the prize money was all donated by the fans as well so they could unlock digital items and digital features for the videogame.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Taint Reaper posted:

This is pretty much true, the prize money was all donated by the fans as well so they could unlock digital items and digital features for the videogame.

Lmbo, for real?

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Yaldabaoth posted:

this is probably true for middle class twenty-somethings in the US and EU. but there is a minority of pro gamers who are in really poor countries where the <min wage pay is a decent amount

esports is pretty stupid but it benefits rich white people running the show just like everything else, its at the expense of stupid suburban white kids so it owns, and it occasionally helps people who otherwise would be working a lovely factory job and lets them take care of their family by playing video games

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

a creepy colon posted:

Lmbo, for real?

Yeah they had a thermometer and everything showing at what levels different stuff gets unlocked. It should be noted that most videogames did not need the amount of money listed to put the same features in the first place.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Fighting games are more fun to watch but I think EVO 2014 peaked at like 150,000 viewers while those DOTA/League of Legends tournaments probably get like a billion

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

a creepy colon posted:

Lmbo, for real?

valve pocketed ~$30 million dollars selling :10bux: e-programs for the tournament, 1/4 went to the prize pool

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Jackie D posted:

valve pocketed ~$30 million dollars selling :10bux: e-programs for the tournament, 1/4 went to the prize pool

brb creating a game design company

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

The Taint Reaper posted:

Yeah they had a thermometer and everything showing at what levels different stuff gets unlocked. It should be noted that most videogames did not need the amount of money listed to put the same features in the first place.

A Dota 2 compendium is 10 bucks. Something like 2-4 dollars from every compendium sale went into the prize pool (which is a little over 10 million dollars). Owning a compendium gets you a ton of dota 2 digital items that you can probably turn around and sell on the market for a couple bucks. I'm sure some one good at being a dota 2 hat baron could more than make back any cash they spent on a compendium.

All the stretch goals they had for the compendium were almost as bad as star citizens. A million dollars to have some interns poo poo out some hats over the weekend big deal. At least you don't need to own a compendium to watch every single game. It's completely free both from the in game spectate functions and off the myriad of streaming sites and ESPN too I guess.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Jackie D posted:

lmaoooooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_6CZ2JaEuc

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

LINKIN PARK

no matter how much money the make DOTA will never be a good game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

LINKIN PARK

who are y'all cheering for?