Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

It's kind of disappointing that its movepool is so bad. Its stats are actually on-par with Sharpedo, Lanturn and Lumineon's stats. Then again, there probably aren't a lot of moves that a fish can preform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Zuzie posted:

It's kind of disappointing that its movepool is so bad. Its stats are actually on-par with Sharpedo, Lanturn and Lumineon's stats. Then again, there probably aren't a lot of moves that a fish can preform.

I dunno, Lanturn has a pretty broad skillset. Sharpedo's isn't deep, but it knows what it wants to do - ie bite stuff - and does it magnificently.

Does Lumineon even get half the skillset Basculin does, thinking about it? Out of the four mentioned fishes, it's the one that seems the most useless.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I think it does actually? I used a Lumineon once and I think it at least had Signal Beam or something weird like that. Admittedly, of those listed it is the most bland. Pretty much your average SPA Water attacker, though it does get a few support moves like Aqua Ring.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

KataraniSword posted:

I dunno, Lanturn has a pretty broad skillset. Sharpedo's isn't deep, but it knows what it wants to do - ie bite stuff - and does it magnificently.

Does Lumineon even get half the skillset Basculin does, thinking about it? Out of the four mentioned fishes, it's the one that seems the most useless.

Lumineon has access to Ice Beam, Psybeam and Signal Beam. Its stats are more rounded than Sharpedo or Basculin's "We are fast and will bite you" stats.

The only problem Lumineon has is the abundance of other water-types.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Chorocojo posted:

Lumineon has access to Ice Beam, Psybeam and Signal Beam. Its stats are more rounded than Sharpedo or Basculin's "We are fast and will bite you" stats.

Lumineon really ought to get Quiver Dance.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

As always, scratch your head with the... interesting move choices GF makes, then wait for Move Tutors.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Crosspeice posted:

As always, scratch your head with the... interesting move choices GF makes, then wait for Move Tutors.

Wonder if they'll be in ORAS. I mean in the secret base release it showed dolls only available from the Battle Frontier in Emerald. So, perhaps the move tutor will be there?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Chorocojo posted:

I don't know, only its speed and special defense are good, the rest of its stats being around the lower end of average. It'd see early game use if, say, there were no other options for Water types, but that's about it. Add that to it being just another fish and you can see why it's the most forgotten of the Sinnoh pokemon.

Crosspeice posted:

One day I hope to decipher the moon logic Gamefreak runs on and than I too shall produce a multi-billion dollar videogame franchise. That or just understand why they think loading up pokemon with moves that they can't possibly use to any real effect is a good idea.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 12, 2014

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Because one day, they hope, the final match of a major tournament will be decided by the winner using a mon with a moveset so far out of the norm that the opponent can't figure out how to counter it, most likely. :v:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Chorocojo posted:

Lumineon's problem is that its design has no redeeming or interesting features. Maybe if they made it glow like a rainbow in Gen 6 or something, but nope. Uninteresting generic fish.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

#28. Little Touches

That tower, remember?

You were just now ready to hop in and go. What's your deal?

Eesh.

Choro Notes: If you remember, in Black/White there were a pair of kids in here who would tell you a secret if you could beat Skyla. They're still here . . .

Choro Notes: In the two years since Black, the little girl has become a lass and they have a Ducklett now. It's a cute little touch!

Cute.

- - -

Music: Unova Route 6

Choro Notes: Not all NPCs give out the same TMs, however. In Black, this girl gives out the Charge Beam TM. Now she just comments on the balance beams.

Oh, great.

Nooo, I've got it this time.

quote:

: Yo yo yo it's your boy Vinny what up?
???: Hi . . . Is this Vinny?
: Yes. Yes it's Vinny.
???: Really? So you listen to music often, Vinny?
: Just calling to make small talk or are you just verifying facts? Facts about my love of jazz.
???: Jazz, did you say? I like music, too.
: But not jazz, I'm noticing.
???: . . .
: . . .
???: Oops! My colleague is calling me. I have to get back to work! Good-bye.
: . . . what a weird girl.

Hmmmmmm . . .

Get an item, beat up a mushroom. Yup.

- - -

Choro Notes: This is another house that has a callback to Black.

Choro Notes: In Black, Haley traded this same fellow a Boldore for an Emolga. Now he wants an Emolga for a Gigalith. Boldore EVOLVE by trade. Unfortunately, even with memory sync, the Gigalith doesn't have Haley's Trainer ID or anything.

In addition, the girl in the house was originally a Lass with only one cottonee. Apparently she's gotten another and become an Ace Trainer! Good for her!

- - -

. . .

Choro Notes: The rare monster that appears in this grotto is Cubchoo, oh well.
Choro Notes: Mulch is Pokémon droppings. You can use it to affect your berry growth . . . in Sinnoh. Mulch has no effect in Gen5 as you can't grow berry plants. You can sell it for P100 OR . . .

Choro Notes: The Mulch Maniac at the end of Mistralton's runway will buy them for P1000 a shot.

. . . gross.

- - -

Choro Notes: If you keep going north you'll reach the tower.

Choro Notes: But even though Twist Mountain is closed off you should still head that way.

This is a story from way back then."
"Here's what they look like."

"Here's what Landorus looks like."

I see, I see.

Tornadus and Thundurus!"

quote:

Choro Notes: Thundurus, Tornadus & Landorus in Black2
These three are actually completely uncatchable in Black2/White2, they do not appear in the wild in any capacity. (Haley caught them in Black). Visiting this old man does give them to you as Seen in your Pokédex, however. In sticking with the theme of every Pokémon game having a gimmick, Black2 and White2 also have one that utilizes the 3DS's camera capabilities. I would totally show this off to you but it doesn't really have a doable way that would work well since it uses the AR system.

Basically you walk around and certain Pokémon can appear on screen and you zap them and catch them hooray. Items and Pokémon you get this way can be transferred to Black2 or White2 and the monsters will usually have hidden abilities. Swablu, Drifloon, Riolu, Munna, Sigilyph, Igglybuff, Shuckle, Porygon, Staryu, Ralts, Bronzor, Spiritomb, Smoochum, Togepi, Rotom, Beldum, Slowpoke and Hoothoot can all be obtained this way. In addition, having the appropriate Gen4 card will allow Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Ho-oh or Lugia to be captured.

Tornadus, Thundurus and Landorus, though. They have something even more special:

SURPRISE. They have alternate "Therian" forms. Their normal forms are "Incarnate" forms, as an aside. If the Reveal Glass item is used on them they'll switch between forms. The forms have different stats.
Tornadus's attack and sp.attack drop slightly do boost its speed and defenses . . . slightly. And it also becomes a goofy-rear end bird.
Thundurus's attack and speed drop but it's Sp.Attack rises.
Landorus's Sp.Attack and Speed drop but its Attack rises.

Overall it's just kind of weird.

- - -

REALLY?

quote:

: Oh . . . hi. I'm out in the wilderness because you kicked me out of the house. Maybe I'm gonna go in this ruined tunnel on Twist Mountain, I dunno!
: Wow! Route 7, huh? That's amazing! How are you getting along with your Pokémon?
: They all bite or burn on contact with skin. So the usual.
: You know, the reason you can go to all these great places is because of your Pokémon.
: Two of the "great" places I've been were the sewers. Twice.
: Always be grateful for them. And take them straight to the Pokémon Center if they get hurt! And that's it from the former Pokémon Center receptionist . . . mom!
*click*

- - -

Choro Notes: The only monsters added to this area's wild encounters were Seviper and Zangoose. They're rare and I didn't see a single one.

Choro Notes: X-Scissor's still in the same spot. Noooone of my duders can learn it. Honk.

Outta the way, muscles.

Well shouldn't you be Eliting somewhere?

but I can't let you into Twist Mountain!"

Choro Notes: For whatever reason, Marshal is the posted guard to Twist Mountain. I have no idea why.

- - -

Yup, this is the place. The tower being a tower and all.

Music: Dragonspiral Tower

. . .

was built here."
Well considering I didn't see a single ghost or psychic-type outside, I think they just live in the tower.

Completely ruined her. Was barely a challenge.

The plane flying was not dependent on me. You could have gone with her any time. Don't hold up research on my account.

Choro Notes: The Lucky Egg increases EXP gained for the holder. Normally it's only found rarely on wild Chansey but Prof. Juniper gives you one in both Black/White and Black2/White2.

Hey yeah, I'm gonna go ring the bell for Hugh's Purrloin. See you there.

Whoa! Inappropriate! This is a grave site!

Choro Notes: Fun fact: Because of Redjru's Adaptability ability, Aqua Tail will do more damage to this Musharna than a super effective Crunch would.

Very inappropriate.

See? Now playing with your ghost? That's fine. Because it's a GRAVE SITE.

You got a good outlook, kid. Hug that little candle close.

. . .

Well, alright. But remember this is a GRAVE SITE. Geez.

Choro Notes: Socialite Grace shows up in Black as well, you face her in Black City where she uses a Salamence.

Choro Notes: Oh . . .

Choro Notes: Sludge Wave is 5 points stronger than Sludge Bomb but only a 10% chance of poisoning the target. It also hits all surrounding monsters in multi-battle. I'm just sort of doubling up on poison because really I wasn't ever using Minimize.

Or is it better when you cannot forget?"
That's really heavy.

Another TM, Another move nobody I have can use.

RIP Hugh's stupid dead cat.

Choro Notes: Black2 tries to treat gems like how Gen4 treated Arceus's plates but really it's not even close to the same.

Oh. Alberta's gone. WAS SHE A GHOST?!

- - -

WELL IT'S ABOUT TIME.

. . . o-oh. You got bigger.

- - -

Oh, well it's good you came here to rest then. I wonder why that happened.

Choro Notes: Alberta's the only trainer I can think of that does this. When you defeat her she comes to the Pokémon Center. The reason? Well . . .

quote:

Signboard Starter - A Medal for those who are very keen to collect information and checked five Trainer Tips signs.
Battle Veteran - A Medal for tremendously courageous Trainers who went through 400 battles.
Superb Locator - A Medal to prove the adventurous spirit of people who didn't miss rustling grass and dust clouds.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Juniper giving you a Lucky Egg is still pretty freakin' amazing.

I forget. Are there no wild Pokemon in the tower this time around, or did you just skip out on getting an adorable candle ghost because you already have Caldra?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Oh, wow. I never knew that about School Kid Alberta!

Never noticed she disappeared, either. I am not very observant...

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Litwik's line is one of the only non-Legendary Pokemon that actually lives up to its ominous pokedex entry in-story for both the games and anime. Those haunted lighting fixtures are generally bad news.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh, wow. I never knew that about School Kid Alberta!

Never noticed she disappeared, either. I am not very observant...

Nor did I. And I played both B2 and W2. :psyduck:

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Poison Mushroom posted:

Juniper giving you a Lucky Egg is still pretty freakin' amazing.

I forget. Are there no wild Pokemon in the tower this time around, or did you just skip out on getting an adorable candle ghost because you already have Caldra?

Litwick and Elgyem still appear there they're just very sparce encounters.

Golbat were also added to the mix, though. :shepface:

EDIT: There's an end game event at the tower too but that's secret secret~

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So Juniper was just... waiting around for you to get the gym badge, because the leader flies the plane? That's considerate of her.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
The genies should have been in their Therian forms from the start, in my opinion. I know they're supposed to be references to actual Shinto gods that look like dudes floating on clouds, but for Pokemon "dudes floating on clouds" is a pretty boring concept, especially since they're glorified color palette swaps of each other.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Anywhere even remotely dark is an excuse for Nintendo to plug us with Zubat/Golbat. I'm just waiting for the dungeon cruel enough for wild Crobat. Unfortunately, I never really understood the AR thing, so I passed on the genies' weird form. I prefer their normal forms anyway. Reading this LP shows me just how little attention I paid to B2. I really rushed through, I guess I didn't enjoy it much. Choco, is there any reason you're underleveled? Is it just a byproduct have having 6 dudes and not enough exp to go around?

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

Anywhere even remotely dark is an excuse for Nintendo to plug us with Zubat/Golbat. I'm just waiting for the dungeon cruel enough for wild Crobat. Unfortunately, I never really understood the AR thing, so I passed on the genies' weird form. I prefer their normal forms anyway. Reading this LP shows me just how little attention I paid to B2. I really rushed through, I guess I didn't enjoy it much. Choco, is there any reason you're underleveled? Is it just a byproduct have having 6 dudes and not enough exp to go around?

It's mostly intentional. I like being underleveled for boss fights.

rubythunder
Feb 20, 2011
How does the Superb Locator Medal work? Not missing any dust clouds or rustling grass? Is it just to run into a certain amount of those things? And what about the ....water spots I guess I'll call them? And the shadows on the bridges?

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

rubythunder posted:

How does the Superb Locator Medal work? Not missing any dust clouds or rustling grass? Is it just to run into a certain amount of those things? And what about the ....water spots I guess I'll call them? And the shadows on the bridges?

It's just some number of them, I'm pretty sure.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I wish Pokemon Radar was half as awesome as that image makes it look. As it is, it literally takes your camera feed and overlays some glowy orbs. If you shoot them enough, you see a pokemon, or an item. From what I remember, Therians just look like glowy orbs that you have to shoot more until you actually catch them.

Maybe sprites would look out of place in augmented reality, but I think that would still be better.

E: Wait, apparently they'd apparently done models for the DS Pokedex. No excuse then.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Aithon posted:

I wish Pokemon Radar was half as awesome as that image makes it look. As it is, it literally takes your camera feed and overlays some glowy orbs. If you shoot them enough, you see a pokemon, or an item. From what I remember, Therians just look like glowy orbs that you have to shoot more until you actually catch them.

Maybe sprites would look out of place in augmented reality, but I think that would still be better.

E: Wait, apparently they'd apparently done models for the DS Pokedex. No excuse then.
The Therian forms actually do appear in the Dream Radar (but it's basically just an animated gif that moves around the screen, it doesn't look like they are actually flying around) but all the normal Pokemon you can catch do just appear as glowing orbs.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Huh, funny, I must've misremembered. :downs: Still, most of the game is just staring at clouds and orbs. One perk is that AFAIK, everything you catch in Dream Radar gets its hidden ability. My W2 cart is overflowing with Prankster Riolus.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Aithon posted:

Huh, funny, I must've misremembered. :downs: Still, most of the game is just staring at clouds and orbs. One perk is that AFAIK, everything you catch in Dream Radar gets its hidden ability. My W2 cart is overflowing with Prankster Riolus.

It also seems to ignore normal gender ratios, making it relatively easy to get a decent number of female Riolu.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Aithon posted:

The opening of Bravely Default does something like this. As a briefly used mechanic I thought it was neat. I'm less enthused about basing an entire game on it.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Commemorating Gluu's evolution.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Bianca's Science Journal Entry #2

Hello Science Journal!

Assistant to the professor Bianca is here on the scene! I've been in Chargestone Caves for a while now looking for a Tynamo. Professor Juniper said they're very important for evolutionary studies, but they're pretty hard to find to tell the truth! I did manage to see Vinny when he came through, I wonder if he was able to find one?

Speaking of the Professor, she was apparently going up into the Celestial Tower near Skyla's gym! I don't know if you knew Journal, but this is where I met Wikwik, my Chandeleure! I still have her nearby at all times; she makes it really easy to write in you in the dark C=

Also lately, I've been really getting into new movies out of Pokestar Studios! There's this cute new actress there named Rosa! I saw her in one where she had to fight evil Pokemon from the future! Or maybe it was a zombie Pokemon...I don't really remember but the special effects were amazing! I wonder how they do that kind of thing?

Anyway, I do have some big plans coming up Journal! Professor Juniper told me that I need to take a trip real soon! Something about studying a legendary Pokemon maybe? All I know is she said it was pretty far away...I wonder if it'll be a long boat ride? I'm not too good at those. This one time I tried to get to Victory Island and...well I'll spare you the details... =C

Still, I hope Vinny is doing okay! He seems like he has a good head on his shoulders and to get up here, he must have gotten a couple badges so far! I bet having a Steel type is really helpful! I wonder if there's any Steel type pokemon who would get along well with me and my Pokemon? This cave is full of Klinks, hmm...

I should get back to work though! Those Tynamo aren't going to find themselves! I'll try to get back to you when I have more to report Journal!

Good Listener fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 28, 2014

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Good Listener posted:

Speaking of the Professor, she was apparently going up into the Celestial Tower near Skyla's gym! I don't know if you knew Journal, but this is where I met Wikwik, my Chandeleure! I still have her nearby at all times; she makes it really easy to write in you in the dark C=

Bianca Journals are the best :3:

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

That's a pretty cool Chandelure draw there.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Bullshit. Everyone knows Grimer/Muk's theme song is "Nothing Can Stop the Smooze": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CnOysetlQw

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

dragon_pamcake posted:

Bullshit. Everyone knows Grimer/Muk's theme song is "Nothing Can Stop the Smooze": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CnOysetlQw

Needs more Tim Curry. :colbert:

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Hey Red, assuming you'll be done with this thread by then, what are you gonna do when ORAS comes out? Fidn a way to record gameplay from a 3DS? Or go back and play HGSS?

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

I'm visiting family which is why there hasn't been an update. Should have something Tuesday-ish.

Siegkrow posted:

Hey Red, assuming you'll be done with this thread by then, what are you gonna do when ORAS comes out? Fidn a way to record gameplay from a 3DS? Or go back and play HGSS?

Who knows. I didn't do HGSS, I probably won't do ORAS either. Honestly I find it hard to get excited for it.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Well, my question was more about the fact that you tend to release your new LPs when a new pokemon game comes out, so my question was "You gonna do XY or HGSS, or nothing?"

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Siegkrow posted:

Well, my question was more about the fact that you tend to release your new LPs when a new pokemon game comes out, so my question was "You gonna do XY or HGSS, or nothing?"

So far, I'm thinking that Red's going to do X or Y, unless he can't find a way to get footage from a 3DS, sure there are modded ones with capture cards, but they're at least 300 dollars a pop. He seems to only do main games though, not remakes, aside from Leafgreen.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Silegna posted:

So far, I'm thinking that Red's going to do X or Y, unless he can't find a way to get footage from a 3DS, sure there are modded ones with capture cards, but they're at least 300 dollars a pop. He seems to only do main games though, not remakes, aside from Leafgreen.
He's also waited for the third game for each of his LPs, which could be a while. BW2 were different enough from BW1 to merit a seperate LP, but who knows if the follow up XY will be a generic third version or a BW2-style sequel.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Haifisch posted:

He's also waited for the third game for each of his LPs, which could be a while. BW2 were different enough from BW1 to merit a seperate LP, but who knows if the follow up XY will be a generic third version or a BW2-style sequel.

I don't know about you, but the third/fourth game in the XY series BETTER have a postgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I know some people have issues with B2/W2, but I really want whatever Z is to be like this than what the third game has traditionally been in the series.

• Locked thread