Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
The old Eureka Effect was a favourite of mine, it basically let you build a nest wherever, keep teleporters running more easily and faster and be pretty useful on 5cp for the moving spawns to boot. It wasn't crazy good and definitely not as viable when the other team were better than mine and constantly pressuring my stuff (harder to teleport out, can't run away from ubers with the sentry/tp exit)

The new Eureka Effect is basically for Engies who want to experience all of the above but be worse at all of it. Repairing stuff under attack is pointless unless you have the Rescue Ranger, upgrading takes super long and we already have the Gunslinger for disposable sentry work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I kinda sorta guess the new one could be okay if spies are giving you persistent trouble on your teleporters though.

Nah it's terrible.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

CJacobs posted:

The only actual use I can ever see for that wrench is if you are putting up buildings, but it would take longer for you to get an appropriate amount of metal from a dispenser than to teleport to spawn, get it from the resupply, and walk back to the setup.

So basically, it has no actual use.

edit: Wait, resupply cabinets don't fill your metal as Engineer, do they? Er... Yeah who knows.

I don't use the Eureka effect, but I do know that (a) it lets you can teleport to your dispenser exit from anywhere, whether or not you even have an entrance built, and (b) you get full metal from the cabinets. This is why you can always see engineers constantly running into spawn and back as they build their stuff by spawn.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
You fix RD by having both teams scores start ticking up automatically after 5 min.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The thing with the Eureka Effect is that you need the rescue ranger to have any ability whatsoever to repair your buildings under pressure, but then you lose your shotgun and have no self-defense, so you can't do the one thing the EE seems like it could be useful for, aka building sneaky teleporters behind enemy lines.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I never used the Eureka because the engies Dispenser existed.

Seriously the dispenser is the best building imo.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Hihohe posted:

I never used the Eureka because the engies Dispenser existed.

Seriously the dispenser is the best building imo.

Yeah, it's second-nature for me to throw one down when moving around various spots. Even just having it in a spot that I come back to later after dying or fighting means I can upgrade it, AND teammates have a spot that can save them or keep their ammo up.

A dispenser is often a kind of investment. You plunk one down and either build it up or return to it later when it's generated metal for you to upgrade it or create other things.

The whole meta-strategy involved with engineer is why it's the most interesting class to play for me. If he had a more effective way to destroy enemy sentry guns as with the primary combat classes (really the only major way he can take down sentries is a wrangled mini or sentry of his own out of range) then he'd be capable of doing everything.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 19, 2014

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

While I would say that the teleporter is the most important engineer building on some maps, the dispenser is a close second. Ubercharges are flashy and all that, but I've sustained pretty decent pushes by just plopping down a L1 dispenser just behind the corner from the pushing location

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

[Wow how did this get here this is the wrong thread.]

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

DLTN posted:

I'd really like it if there was a cap to how many nodes you can steal at once, because while on one hand I'm all for mechanics that allow depth at high levels of play, i'm also strongly against pub scouts being able to grab 290 tickets at once and then waltz out of the base without anybody even attempting to touch them

It's already next to impossible to get the core and return it. You either go through the lasers where any knockback or sliding kills you, or go through the vent where you're a sitting duck, then you have the whole map to navigate.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Out of curiosity, is there a config setting that disables the downloading of player pictures/avatars? I've tried to search for something like that but couldn't find anything.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

pisshead posted:

It's already next to impossible to get the core and return it. You either go through the lasers where any knockback or sliding kills you, or go through the vent where you're a sitting duck, then you have the whole map to navigate.

That or the other team doesn't know about the vent at all and you steal points like mad.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

Petiso posted:

If you're talking about weapons you can easily swap them in places like scrap.tf.

Sorry a bit late to this response but what is scrap.tf?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Apparition posted:

Sorry a bit late to this response but what is scrap.tf?

http://scrap.tf - a website that allows you to trade scrap for weapons/hats/etc or vice versa.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I spent way too much buying the materials for this but I like how it turned out. If only the Heavy had a non-mod hawaiian shirt.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

CJacobs posted:

If only the Heavy had a non-mod hawaiian shirt.
Give this some Workshop love and your wish might just come true.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Kins posted:

:swoon: gently caress yes.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The Kins posted:

The worst trend in Workshop submissions is the use of SFM screenshots to sell them because they never show just how badly they clip with most animations when the item actually ships in game and this is sadly really common with the full-body miscs. I don't think anyone tests their bone flex heat maps with anything besides standing and walking animation with a class's primary weapon.

I mean I'm still going to use the Soldier's antarctic parka coat but someday I'd like my armpits to stay inside the coat when I do anything with my hands.

e: It's incredible that no one's made a Wesley Snipes Demolition Man outfit yet.

Reiley fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jul 20, 2014

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Reiley posted:

The worst trend in Workshop submissions is the use of SFM screenshots to sell them because they never show just how badly they clip with most animations when the item actually ships in game and this is sadly really common with the full-body miscs. I don't think anyone tests their bone flex heat maps with anything besides standing and walking animation with a class's primary weapon.

What about the conga gif? That looked pretty good.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Ariong posted:

What about the conga gif? That looked pretty good.

His torso doesn't actually move that much and his shoulders swivel pretty ocnservatively. This isn't a that-item-specific issue, the majority of item submissions don't do in-game screenshots and it makes it a little disappointing when the item gets in-game and they clip badly with the player model.

Svdl
May 9, 2006

Around the world

Reiley posted:

e: It's incredible that no one's made a Wesley Snipes Demolition Man outfit yet.

Well that's something that needs to be fixed.

Maybe not an exact replice and the little headband that covers his thick beanie rim is a bit silly.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 4 hours!)

Reiley posted:

Yeah but what class would it be for?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The thing with the Eureka Effect is that you need the rescue ranger to have any ability whatsoever to repair your buildings under pressure, but then you lose your shotgun and have no self-defense, so you can't do the one thing the EE seems like it could be useful for, aka building sneaky teleporters behind enemy lines.

I kill a lot of people with the rescue ranger.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
The best part about using the Rescue Ranger is that chumps always assume you're easy prey like bad Snipers.

The other best thing is that you're mostly fighting Spies, who take ~3 shots to kill and you get the Huntsman hit sound to spy check with at range :getin:

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
The worst is when a pyro airblasts your rescue ranger darts back at you, but I've only had that happen a couple of times ever.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Svdl posted:

Well that's something that needs to be fixed.

Maybe not an exact replice and the little headband that covers his thick beanie rim is a bit silly.

I knew I could count on you :salute:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Thanks for the guide on taking pretty screenshots whoever posted that

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Is the Founding Father paintable?

Edit: No it is not

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 20, 2014

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Reiley posted:

This also bothers me, and it doesn't happen in just TF2, happens in DOTA 2 as well. Yeah people make a cosmetic or two and they make it look really good in some picture showcasing it, but then the thing ships in game and it looks bad, or you can barely notice it, or some other problem, like horrible clipping.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Caddrel posted:

Thanks for the guide on taking pretty screenshots whoever posted that

That was Reilly, and I'd like to thank him, too. (On the phone, so no photos. :( )

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Thank you for bringing beauty to the world. :sparkles:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sq9qW6_5XU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Dr. Fetus posted:

This also bothers me, and it doesn't happen in just TF2, happens in DOTA 2 as well. Yeah people make a cosmetic or two and they make it look really good in some picture showcasing it, but then the thing ships in game and it looks bad, or you can barely notice it, or some other problem, like horrible clipping.

Heroes in Dota look absolutely miniscule in game, it's not like you can actually see the clipping.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 4 hours!)

There's one for Nature's Prohpet that has clipping problems in his portrait and it drives me crazy every time I see it.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

John_A_Tallon posted:

The worst is when a pyro airblasts your rescue ranger darts back at you, but I've only had that happen a couple of times ever.

I'm just happy that doesn't happen with the pomson/bison.

Shotgun is wonderful but I think the pomson is actually has some utility that is great for engineers - due to it being a projectile rather than hitscan, you can fire where enemies are going or are likely to show up, and you also WILL hit anyone who is around your point-blank vicinity instead of with shotgun how you will not hit at all sometimes if you're slightly out of the sweet spot you need to connect the hitscan.

Its primary drawback is its small clip size means less staying power for the engineer. So I'll tend to pack pistol when I use it. When not packing pistol I'll tend to use shotgun.

Taking pomson definitely makes dead ringer spies much less of an issue to be sure though.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 21, 2014

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
I think the Pomson would be a pretty ok weapon if it didn't drain uber/cloak and had a world reload animation. While it's fun to make pubstar ~spy mains~ go crazy in the chat feed it's admittedly a pretty horrible mechanic to play against. :v:

In conclusion I wish they'd made the Pomson a simple Righteous Bison reskin. I just want to be an obese space cowboy without making people angry. That is all.

vvv I can agree with that, I barely ever play Spy and my only point of reference was a friend who used to play the most obvious Dead Ringer Spy imaginable. I guess he was kind of biased against the Pomson :v:

Frankly fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 21, 2014

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Frankly posted:

I think the Pomson would be a pretty ok weapon if it didn't drain uber/cloak and had a world reload animation. While it's fun to make pubstar ~spy mains~ go crazy in the chat feed it's admittedly a pretty horrible mechanic to play against. :v:

In conclusion I wish they'd made the Pomson a simple Righteous Bison reskin. I just want to be an obese space cowboy without making people angry. That is all.

While I do agree that Medics have it hard enough without some jerk engi ruining their day even more, Spies that are getting hit with Pomson shots has already hosed up in several ways and deserves what he is getting.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Or make it do something that isn't as horrible as uber-drain. Like, I don't know, a bit of knockback or slow so that it could still be useful when a medic and his buddy are chomping at your nest, but it wouldn't be so bad to play against as arbitrarily losing ubercharge from shots that have probably just been spammed at chokepoints with no effort or aim required.

As a side-note, I wish that the little circular gauge on the gunslinger did something, and the weird dumb 3-hit=crit mechanic that is only ever utilized with an exploit didn't exist. Ideally minis would do like 20% or so less damage, but damage from them would fill that gauge which when full would give you that crit punch. That way engies would have more motivation to get in there and smack people, making the +25 HP more meaningful.
It'll never happen though.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The fact that the Pomson isn't a Bison reskin- the Bison begin a legitimately fun Soldier secondary- and is instead mired with dirty uber-drain and cloak poo poo is an absolute travesty. Running a body-piercing laser Engineer would be lots of fun without feeling like filth for using a dirty gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

It WAS loads of fun too, before they changed it. Especially when it would crit and you'd wipe out a line of 3+ people. Or when you'd catch a fleeing person on their last health behind their buddies.

I would quite frankly like it if they just gave the engineer the bison. The pomson does what it does okay. Why not let the engy have access to the bison too?

Other classes than heavy with the family business would be neat as well.

• Locked thread