Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's own safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane, he had to fly them. If he flew them, he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to, he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.

Makes you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i caught a cold

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Iggy Koopa posted:

i caught a cold

may i recommend you stick your head in a toilet and flush?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i tried that last time and it didnt seem to help worth trying again i guess

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's own safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane, he had to fly them. If he flew them, he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to, he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.

Makes you think.

Way to miss the point.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
“They're trying to kill me," Yossarian told him calmly.
No one's trying to kill you," Clevinger cried.
Then why are they shooting at me?" Yossarian asked.
They're shooting at everyone," Clevinger answered. "They're trying to kill everyone."
And what difference does that make?”

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

“They're trying to kill me," Yossarian told him calmly.
No one's trying to kill you," Clevinger cried.
Then why are they shooting at me?" Yossarian asked.
They're shooting at everyone," Clevinger answered. "They're trying to kill everyone."
And what difference does that make?”

Why did natelys whore beat him with her shoes?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think it was because she didn't like him. But it's been a while.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

I think it was because she didn't like him. But it's been a while.

She liked him very much. It was an unsolvable mystery. You didn't actually understand the book, did you?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I don't remember if I understood it or not. I do remember it growing more and more tragic as the book wears on and the mystery of the dead guy in the tent slowly being revealed. I think his name was Snowden. Been a loong time. I do remember Nately's whore hitting him with shoes, though. I remember the one guy who kept buying poo poo for the mess. And there was a guy who would ditch his bombers. Then there was Major Major Major Major. Sorta remember an Indian guy, too.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

I don't remember if I understood it or not. I do remember it growing more and more tragic as the book wears on and the mystery of the dead guy in the tent slowly being revealed. I think his name was Snowden. Been a loong time. I do remember Nately's whore hitting him with shoes, though. I remember the one guy who kept buying poo poo for the mess. And there was a guy who would ditch his bombers. Then there was Major Major Major Major. Sorta remember an Indian guy, too.

No one but Natley knows why the whore was hitting him. The dead man was lost before he got to Yosorrian's tent. Snowden died when Yorsorrian got promoted. The mess officer bombed his own home. His name was Milo Minderbender. The Indian guy was a Chief.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Milo was played by Jon Voigt.

I think.

Orson Welles was Dreedle.

I think Bob Newhart was Major4.

Alan Arkin.

Art Garfunkle.

Been a while since I've seen that, too.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

Milo was played by Jon Voigt.

I think.

Orson Welles was Dreedle.

I think Bob Newhart was Major4.

Alan Arkin.

Art Garfunkle.

Been a while since I've seen that, too.

I have never seen the movie. A friend of mine told me I would like it though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

I have never seen the movie. A friend of mine told me I would like it though.

I tried it before reading the book and was like ??? After reading the book I could see it was brilliant. Not an easy book to adapt, though. Same director as The Graduate, IIRC. Mike Nichols, I think.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

I tried it before reading the book and was like ??? After reading the book I could see it was brilliant. Not an easy book to adapt, though. Same director as The Graduate, IIRC. Mike Nichols, I think.

I tried to read the book before I was ready. As a 13 year old, I could understand the words, but not the point.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

I tried to read the book before I was ready. As a 13 year old, I could understand the words, but not the point.

Same. Close in age, but not entirely certain when. Early high school.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

Same. Close in age, but not entirely certain when. Early high school.

Its a great book, but it's an adult book.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

Its a great book, but it's an adult book.

Yeah, I read it again in my early 20s and enjoyed it much more. But I'm in a very different place now so picked it up again.

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsfnuyyjaB0

cowards

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah, I read it again in my early 20s and enjoyed it much more. But I'm in a very different place now so picked it up again.

You will enjoy it more. Now you have the experience to talk to someone about it.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
More like Crap Twenty Poo

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax

Rapman the Cook posted:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Rapman the Cook posted:

good pun kid. did your mom teach you that?

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

good pun kid. did your mom teach you that?

Your mum gave it to me as a gift after she masturbated my penis to completion

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Rapman the Cook posted:

Your mum gave it to me as a gift after she masturbated my penis to completion

she's good like that.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
the best part was the old Italian guy in the whorehouse

he had it right

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

You will enjoy it more. Now you have the experience to talk to someone about it.

I'll keep u posted

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

gnarlyhotep posted:

the best part was the old Italian guy in the whorehouse

he had it right

he was mad and had no teeth.
I agree.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
good book. it is funny but also deep. maybe...the best book? no. no that's a silly thing to say.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Jesus, Art Garfunkle.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Benedick Cuckold posted:

good book. it is funny but also deep. maybe...the best book? no. no that's a silly thing to say.

No you're supposed to say that book about v-2 rockets blowing up england everywhere that guy hosed it was written by that guy who appeared on the simpsons with a bag over his head hth.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
the sequel was kind of interesting, but not as good, and actually kind of boring and unnecessary. but maybe that was part of the point.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Where are all the Snowdens of yesteryear?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Yep. Should I post a poo poo thread about my mental deficiencies or wait til I die to be the butt of the joke? A real ketchup 22.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Benedick Cuckold posted:

the sequel was kind of interesting, but not as good, and actually kind of boring and unnecessary. but maybe that was part of the point.

That was a an awful book. I couldn't force myself to finish it

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

Why did natelys whore beat him with her shoes?
yossarian said that nataly paid her to do it

it doesn't have to be true but hell, he was closer to the situation than any of us so it's the closest to truth

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

That was a an awful book. I couldn't force myself to finish it

yeah it was a slog. it's kind of cool that it ends with yossarian as an extremely old man but still alive, even as the literal apocalypse happens around him. but it's full of such boring, turgid poo poo that it's really not worth it to get to that point

and the whole point of the book is that every transcendent thing that happened in catch-22 ends up subverted, rendered mundane in retrospect, and turned to poo poo, which is kind of realistic, but very unpleasant to read about. i don't want to read about yossarian becoming a conformist sell-out. he should have spent the rest of his life escaping to sweden, so to speak

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

i'm the goons who whine about anime 24/7 calling what is considered one of the greatest books of the 20th century bad. perhaps game of thrones or like a picture book for toddlers is more your level

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Benedick Cuckold posted:

yeah it was a slog. it's kind of cool that it ends with yossarian as an extremely old man but still alive, even as the literal apocalypse happens around him. but it's full of such boring, turgid poo poo that it's really not worth it to get to that point

and the whole point of the book is that every transcendent thing that happened in catch-22 ends up subverted, rendered mundane in retrospect, and turned to poo poo, which is kind of realistic, but very unpleasant to read about. i don't want to read about yossarian becoming a conformist sell-out. he should have spent the rest of his life escaping to sweden, so to speak

did you even finish reading the book? he literally deserts at the end and says 'no gently caress you all i won't stand for this' goddamn. he literally escapes to sweden, no joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

icantfindaname posted:

i'm the goons who whine about anime 24/7 calling what is considered one of the greatest books of the 20th century bad. perhaps game of thrones or like a picture book for toddlers is more your level

did someone say catch 22 was bad?

• Locked thread