Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

look at that loving picture

that is the face of a man who's literally is thinking holy loving poo poo I just walked the loving moon

what a badass motherfucker.

also this website is pretty neat: http://www.firstmenonthemoon.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDead1
Aug 12, 2007
don't you mean walked on a movie set 45 years ago

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
beep boop ima spaceship vroom yeeeowwwwrrrr FSHFSHSHSHSHSHHHHHHHHHHHH here i am on thew fuckin moon SHSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH KSHHHHH PTPTSGBSBBBBBBBBB

POOF bam ok im on the fuckin moon

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
"aliens"

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

TheDead1 posted:

don't you mean walked on a movie set 45 years ago

no.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
lol anyone could have done that. i dont get why people worship him instead of the aerospace engineers, the true heroes.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It's not necessary to walk on the moon to project American dominance any longer, but I feel that the fact we literally cannot do so now has garnered that achievement a high-water mark in American/Western society.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Billions of dollars so some dude can say "lol I'm on the moon"

gg NASA

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

butplug accident posted:

lol anyone could have done that. i dont get why people worship him instead of the aerospace engineers, the true heroes.

i dunno man, he literally hand flew it down to the ground with about 20 seconds of fuel remaining when the auto-pilot was about to set them in a field of house sized boulders

steely eyed missile man

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

butplug accident posted:

yea right some human being nerds with their calculators deserve more respect than the guy who boarded their contraption to travel to the most hostile environment for human life imaginable

get real

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I don't want to harp on this too much but in an era when electric calculators were out of reach to the common office worker, we walked on the moon.

Now you've got a smart phone and we couldn't get to the moon if we wanted to.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Lol @ op believing government propaganda about walking on the moon

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Big Beef City posted:

I don't want to harp on this too much but in an era when electric calculators were out of reach to the common office worker, we walked on the moon.

Now you've got a smart phone and we couldn't get to the moon if we wanted to.

This bums me out so much :(

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Frinkahedron posted:

i dunno man, he literally hand flew it down to the ground with about 20 seconds of fuel remaining when the auto-pilot was about to set them in a field of house sized boulders

steely eyed missile man

great pilots were a dime a dozen in those days. not so for the people who put him there using vacuum tube tech

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is Apollo 4 but it's the first time they lit off the big Saturn 5, they decided not to use water on the pad and underestimated the sound levels and vibrations: http://youtu.be/1uoVfZpx5dY?t=1m24s

Walter Cronkite: "Our building is shaking! *poo poo rattling in the background* Look at that rocket go!"

Zeno-25 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 20, 2014

TheDead1
Aug 12, 2007
whats some good documentaries on the landing, watched in the shadow of the moon not to long ago was a good watch

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

scope out your butt for good 'moon' footage TheDead1

ps great name

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Katana Gomai posted:

yea right some human being nerds with their calculators deserve more respect than the guy who boarded their contraption to travel to the most hostile environment for human life imaginable

get real

let's idolize a guy who was picked among the 10000 other foolhardy volunteers with a desire to become famous, instead of idolizing the pencil necked losers who made it possible in the first place... yeah how about no

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Katana Gomai posted:

get real

your mom?

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

nuke the moon

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
How do we even know there's a real moon to begin with?

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

How do we even know there's a real moon to begin with?

motherfucking lasers

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Holla holla get $

aeiou

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

TheDead1 posted:

whats some good documentaries on the landing, watched in the shadow of the moon not to long ago was a good watch

For All Mankind

Also, let us not forget this missions greatest gift to us: Tang

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

butplug accident posted:

engineers are gay

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

This proves nothing other than that someone wrote some words on a wikipedia page. Have i ever tasted touched or smelt the moon? No. Have you? Doubtful. But oh yeah were supposed to believe that this white thing in the sky is really a big ball of space rock and that spacemen just walk around on it.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

This proves nothing other than that someone wrote some words on a wikipedia page. Have i ever tasted touched or smelt the moon? No. Have you? Doubtful. But oh yeah were supposed to believe that this white thing in the sky is really a big ball of space rock and that spacemen just walk around on it.

do you believe the earth is round y/n

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012
Micheal Collins has spent 45 years wondering what could have been

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Frinkahedron posted:

do you believe the earth is round y/n

It doesn't matter what i say to this really because you'll show me some wikipedia page or something again where a science man has written a bunch of words and ill just have to accept it as blind faith. Truthfully? I don't know I've not seen any real proof either way and it doesn't really affect my life what shape it is.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

It doesn't matter what i say to this really because you'll show me some wikipedia page or something again where a science man has written a bunch of words and ill just have to accept it as blind faith. Truthfully? I don't know I've not seen any real proof either way and it doesn't really affect my life what shape it is.

lol

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Hector Beerlioz posted:

For All Mankind

Also, let us not forget this missions greatest gift to us: Tang

tane?

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2001.11.25.101153.25.html

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

jalopybrown posted:

Micheal Collins has spent 45 years wondering what could have been

Poor Michael Collins.

History's Ringo.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Also, for the depressed people here, we could easily get back to the Moon if we wanted to. But.... Republicans. So we can't.

But that's a political reason, not a technological one. Also, besides "science", what is there for a man to accomplish on the Moon? I can't think of much that's practical

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.
Just four days after that anniversary of those pictures of Apollo 11 taking off. Keep it up and every day will be the anniversary of something important.

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
Of course the Nazis got to the moon first - Iron Skies is govt cover-up of the real deal.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Smoking Crow posted:

engineers are gay

gays dress fashionably ie gay, ergo engineers not gay

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
jesus only walked on water. neil armstrong walked on the moon.

armstrong is better than jesus

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Smoking Crow posted:

engineers are gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

redshirt posted:

Also, for the depressed people here, we could easily get back to the Moon if we wanted to. But.... Republicans. So we can't.

But that's a political reason, not a technological one. Also, besides "science", what is there for a man to accomplish on the Moon? I can't think of much that's practical

Mining, low-gravity construction/easier launches to other systems, stuff like that.

• Locked thread