Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

has there been any research done into how people can feel reasonably uncertain about the official version of something, only to then unconditionally believe the first contrary argument they find on google?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Dirty Job posted:

Cracked posted this article and I decided to read the comment section and holy poo poo do a lot of conspiracy theorists read Cracked. I wasn't expecting this level of pushback from the article in question, but the majority of the comments (at least on the FB page) seem to be about people defending themselves not as conspiracy theorists (which a lot of them are claiming is a bullshit grouping tactic developed by The Man), but as "free thinkers" who like to think for themselves and come to their own logical conclusions. Nevermind that they may be verifiably wrong.

A bunch of them also use things like the NSA spying on Americans thing as proof that...uhh...conspiracy theories are real? Just because one thing actually happened doesn't mean poo poo, but I don't have the willingness to actually respond to these creeps.

Hahahaha, yeah, I read that article and then I immediately thought of this thread. But I never read the comments. You just convinced me, and there are angry and paranoid people posting entire essays in the comment sections.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

QuarkJets posted:

I'm hoping that it will have the reverse effect. Find something absolutely ludicrous, show him the minimum burden of proof that he has required for things like magic internet wands, and then say "look at what a low burden of proof might lead someone to believe"

Doesn't work that way. They don't want any of these things to be false, they'll only go deeper if you challenge them.

Evil Fluffy posted:

You don't cure crazy by throwing an insane person in the shallow end and say LOOK SEE HOW EASY IT IS TO NOT GET WET?!

The pool analogy works here as well.

Otherwise, just tell them that they're insane and just as bad as the Jesus Camp people.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Farm Frenzy posted:

has there been any research done into how people can feel reasonably uncertain about the official version of something, only to then unconditionally believe the first contrary argument they find on google?

Yes actually:
http://www.academia.edu/1207098/Dead_and_alive_Beliefs_in_contradictory_conspiracy_theories
University of Kent did a study that looked at people who believe in 9/11 and Princess Diana conspiracy theories. Frequently people would believe multiple theories, even ones that were mutually exclusive (People would agree with the possibility that Diana was killed by MI-6 and also that she staged her own death).

Basically, people feel in their gut that the official story isn't right, and they accept that as 100% true even without any evidence, so they look for any proof of something that backs up their belief. I think even the best of us a're more biased to accept a study that supports a conclusion we already agree with.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

QuarkJets posted:

So awhile ago I posted about a guy I know on Facebook and in my local community who believes all sorts of crazy poo poo, like he's a 9/11 Truther, anti-vaxxer, global warming denialist, baking soda cures cancer but is kept down by big pharma, cannabis oil cures cancer, etc. His primary fallback for evidence is to just post a shitload of anecdotes and links to extremely shady websites. If you can find a few different people on Youtube talking about it, then he's into it.

I want to convince him of something truly, utterly crazy. Like the US Navy keeping mermaids or whatever sounds pretty loving bizarre. What's the most insane conspiracy thing that you can think of that is also "plausibly" supported if you believe that anecdotal testimony is the highest form of proof?

Just to give you a baseline of how crazy this guy is, he bought a magic wand on the Internet and claims that it cured his kid's cold

The best conspiracy is the one that says Barack Obama was part of a secret government program in the seventies to send people to mars, and that the future president had both been to mars and travelled through time. I'd look that up.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Ogmius815 posted:

The best conspiracy is the one that says Barack Obama was part of a secret government program in the seventies to send people to mars, and that the future president had both been to mars and travelled through time. I'd look that up.

damnit that would be the coolest thing ever.

Also a good plot for a bad late 70's/early 80's sci-fi movie.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

FuzzySkinner posted:

Also a good plot for a great late 70's/early 80's sci-fi movie.
I've corrected your mistake :colbert:.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

FuzzySkinner posted:

Also a good plot for a bad late 70's/early 80's sci-fi movie.

I've found the link and it's actually even weirder than I remembered. Here's a wired article:

Wired.

And here's your "straight from the horse's mouth" source: From the desk of Alfred Lambremont Webre, JD, MEd

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Ogmius815 posted:

I heard that one on The Colbert Report so I went and found the guy's interview on Coast to Coast AM. Fairly well detailed and imaginative...execpt for the fact the guy really believes it. :smith: I'd buy that book.

Andrew Basiago - the guy claiming - has a site on this: http://www.projectpegasus.net/

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

You don't cure crazy by throwing an insane person in the shallow end and say LOOK SEE HOW EASY IT IS TO NOT GET WET?!

Failing that, let him know that Alex Jones actually works with the Illuminati and his whole purpose is to distract from the Real Plan they have, while selling products that they've specially treated.

You apparently don't cure crazy with facts and evidence, either, so how the gently caress do you cure crazy?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

QuarkJets posted:

You apparently don't cure crazy with facts and evidence, either, so how the gently caress do you cure crazy?

I'd actually be interested in knowing if conspiracy theorists have grown in number since, say, 9/11. I would imagine the overall distrust in government has caused the numbers to increase, as well as the proliferation of conspiracy theories on both sides of the political spectrum.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

QuarkJets posted:

After a certain point it may be impossible. For example, North Koreans repatriating into Japan have special schools setup where they can still worship the latest Kim as god even while living in a society that directly contradicts everything the NK regime teaches. The person has to want to accept reality, and anything short of a life shattering event that totally contradicts the things they believe in and forces them to confront their hosed up belief system probably isn't going to make that happen once they're too far in.

I have a friend who believes in poo poo like telekinesis and using "theta brain waves" to heal people of injuries over the phone, and was even to the point where he would break up relationships with anyone who disagreed with him about that. As time went on, he calmed down a bit and stopped posting about training his telekinesis with things floating in the bathtub or Newton's cradles (the five clacking metal balls, which of course already had to be moving beforehand). He even paid to go to those sham conferences where they supposedly teach you how to become a "theta healer", and while he's relaxed a bit about the issues he still believes in them nearly a decade later because he has no reason not to.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 18, 2014

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
edit: actually you have a point; GMO theories, anti-vaxers, AIDS conspiracists, and Satanic Ritual Abuse are things that have real-world impact. So it does matter that people are crazy and believe crazy things.

Miss-Bomarc fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 19, 2014

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Lightning Jim posted:

I didn't even bother looking at the comments because :eyeroll:

On a tangental note: latest Weird Al video has lots of our favorite conspiracy theories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-0TEJMJOhk
That video is fantastic but let's take a look at the comments! :v:

quote:

I'm a weird al fan but disappointed that he has put both crazy theories and the NWO in the same category. What's so weird about a group of rich elites trying to control the world to their benefit. Its stupid songs like this that make our job of waking people up that much harder.

quote:

They're scared. All they can do is mock, but the conspiracy theorists have made it into the mainstream. It's only moon landing poo poo & tin hat- lump it all together, cuz that's all you can do when you realize all those assholes u thought were so immature were right about 9/11 & Kennedy & everything else - & u now feel so dumb I got Stockholm syndrome, but ur not part of the elite & they still don't like you. Har har har. Ah it was a good song. We can laugh why not? Oh please don't answer that question 

quote:

During the video I was thinking how this guy come up with such good parodies and it came across my mind that he might be illuminati or something, then they showed the illuminati! Then I went to dislike the video and when I went back to see if I disliked it my dislike went away... Is Youtube corrupt? Also I was scared to make this comment because when I re watched the video they said "they're always watching". Well poo poo... Conspiracy and corruption everywhere!

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

watho posted:

That video is fantastic but let's take a look at the comments! :v:

That third guy is either taking the piss or he's literally :tinfoil: in real life.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

quote:

During the video I was thinking how this guy come up with such good parodies and it came across my mind that he might be illuminati or something, then they showed the illuminati! Then I went to dislike the video and when I went back to see if I disliked it my dislike went away... Is Youtube corrupt? Also I was scared to make this comment because when I re watched the video they said "they're always watching". Well poo poo... Conspiracy and corruption everywhere!

This is meta as gently caress.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

QuarkJets posted:

Drugs.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Lightning Jim posted:

I didn't even bother looking at the comments because :eyeroll:

On a tangental note: latest Weird Al video has lots of our favorite conspiracy theories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-0TEJMJOhk

My idiot truther friend posted this video in response to the new Weird Al song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBGt-vjefKk

:stare:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
The only thing that has changed the people I've known to be big conspiracy nuts has either been its effect on their job/livelihood, or getting into a relationship with someone that isn't scared to tell them that they're bring ridiculous.

It doesn't work on the serious cases, though, that's as hard as getting someone to renounce religious beliefs.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I think many learn to not speak of it for fear of being mocked. But if you legitimately believed lizardmen were controlling the media to brainwash you i feel like you'd loving freak.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
So is weird Al a puppet who is trying to discredit conspiracy theories because they are close to waking up the sheeple and overthrowing the NWO, or is he trying to ACTUALLY warn everyone about the NWO under the protection of a silly song?

OR BOTH?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ClownSyndrome posted:

So is weird Al a puppet who is trying to discredit conspiracy theories because they are close to waking up the sheeple and overthrowing the NWO, or is he trying to ACTUALLY warn everyone about the NWO under the protection of a silly song?

OR BOTH?

He's obviously a lizard man wearing a mask considering he looks younger now than he did 30 years ago.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

He's obviously a lizard man wearing a mask considering he looks younger now than he did 30 years ago.

But the video reveals that's Patton Oswalt. Is he also a lizard man? Is Patton not? I guess all I can say is everything you know is wrong.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Yarbald posted:

My idiot truther friend posted this video in response to the new Weird Al song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBGt-vjefKk

:stare:

When someone doesn't agree with you, they are either brainwashed or brainwashing other people. Only explanation.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

ClownSyndrome posted:

OR BOTH?

Why can't it be both? :tinfoil:

watho posted:

When someone doesn't agree with you, they are either brainwashed or brainwashing other people. Only explanation.

I just noticed that The Amazing Atheist is trolling in the comments.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

So this plane disaster is turning some otherwise pretty rational people into spiral eyed lunatics right now.

Russia did it! Ukraine did it!

AMERICA DID IT! FOR SOME REASON.

Gah...

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Things Americans can't handle: planes

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Edit: wrong thread.

fermun fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 21, 2014

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Speaking of MH17, why not turn to Sky News and watch their on-site reporter opening up victims' luggage and rummaging through it on air?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Wasn't the rebel leader saying that dead bodies were planted on the plane to make them look bad and then they went and stole all the bodies for themselves?

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

moller posted:

According to multiple eyewitness accounts from other students it never happened. It's possibly a total fabrication by the mother, or it might have been a different conversation with a different student, or just a bit of folklore that people liked the sound of.

Yeah, this is why books like this always end up in the "true-stories" section, it's glurge that's not factual but pretends to be. There's a lot of urban-folklore and conspiracies about a vast network of people trying to snatch your little baby girl away.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Got linked to this on Facebook (thankfully by someone who also thinks this is crazy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdtNsfHGgU0

I simply cannot understand the mindset that the moon is fake. Is this an example of Capgras delusion?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lightning Jim posted:

Got linked to this on Facebook (thankfully by someone who also thinks this is crazy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdtNsfHGgU0

I simply cannot understand the mindset that the moon is fake. Is this an example of Capgras delusion?

I don't have 25 minutes to sink into that video. What does he say about tides and the fact that the moon has been visible throughout human history?

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

razorrozar posted:

I don't have 25 minutes to sink into that video. What does he say about tides and the fact that the moon has been visible throughout human history?
Still working through it but I doubt it's actually mentioned, but here's the crazy reasons that those are waved away by these group of people:

http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/Feedback4.htm

quote:

And just which ancients were those, dare I ask? Do you know that there is no mention of the moon in the English language prior to the year 1066? That is a little known fact that Lunarists often fail to mention.

In absence of such evidence, Lunarists have tried to present us with mentions of the moon in the myths and literatures of other cultures. However, revisionist examination of these documents have shown most of them to be fraudulent.

Take, for example, the Scandinavian legend of Hjuki and Bil, two children who were allegedly stolen by the moon (!) and carried up to heaven while drawing water from a well. To this day, Swedish peasants say that the dark regions of the moon are a boy and girl carrying a bucket of water between them.

Does this sound like the same moon story that scientists assert today? Hardly. Yet this lie is perpetuated to this day, as the Lunar conspiracy has managed to infiltrate even the supposedly innocuous rhymes that we share with our children! Who has never heard the poem:

Jack and Jill went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water;
Jack fell down and broke his crown
And Jill came tumbling after
Hjuki of the Scandinavian myth has become Jack, and Bil has become Jill. The fall of Jack, followed by the fall of Jill, is related to the disappearance of the lunar formations as the moon moves from full to last quarter and to crescent. And the carrying of water, and its spilling, is related to the belief (long since discredited by revisionists) that there was a connection between the moon and rainfall.
Some groups of American Indians worshipped the sun and moon as their main gods, believing that they were a quarreling brother and sister. According to the story, during an argument the sister took a smoldering stick from the fire and ascended through the smoke hole of the teepee. The brother was angered that she escaped so easily, and grasped a larger, burning stick to pursue her. Even today, the girl moves across the sky as the moon, and the brother comes later, still pursuing her, as the sun. Occasionally he catches her, and there follows a great combat which results in an eclipse.

Again, this sounds nothing like the moon that the establishment propagandists of today's controlled academic institutions assert. We are expected to simply accept on faith that the story is referring to a celestial body of the same dimensions and specifications as the massive inanimate object which they claim orbits the earth without falling down. It is absurd to the point of being laughable.

In absence of any clear mention of the moon in the history of the world, it is safe to conclude that its alleged existence is nothing more than a propaganda fraud. I am, however, open-minded, and willing to consider evidence that I may have missed. If you know of a genuine mention of the moon, please forward it to me at madrev@reptiles.org. But it must meet the following conditions:

the document must be original, as it should be clear from the above that Lunarists have engaged to so much forgery and misrepresentation up until now I have every reason not to trust the authenticity of facsimiles.
if the document requires translation, I must be shown clear evidence that the translator was not under any sort of institutional pressure.
it must be clear that the document is referring specifically to a 74,000,000,000,000,000,000 ton object 2160 miles in diameter that orbits the earth at an average distance of 240,000 miles. I will not accept a reference to a word in a language I cannot understand, with a commentary along-side that goes, "See! It's the Moon, stupid!"

And this: http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/Feedback5.htm

quote:

The tide myth is one of the oldest and most absurd lies that the Lunar establishment has tried to push on a gullible world. Do they really expect us to believe that the moon - an object that allegedly resides at an average distance of 240,000 miles from the earth - has the power, from that distance, to lift how many billions of cubic meters of water?

Do an experiment: take a rubber ball and suspend it above a bathtub full of water. Now slowly move the ball closer to the water. Does the level of the water change? Not even slightly. So much for the tides myth.

The clouds are considerably closer to the moon, and much lighter than the oceans. One would imagine that if the moon had the power to raise the oceans, this same force would cause the clouds to go flying into space, yet this does not happen. This proves that the tides story is physically impossible.

Real scientists are busy researching the TRUE causes of the tides. But until their findings are made public, we can take this as merely another pseudo-scientific moon myth, shattered by the scholarship of revisionists.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
This is a thing? Does it include lunar landing conspiracies or is it even beyond that? I kinda get how people can not believe that we landed a man on the moon. But to not believe in the moon at all is just... well, I don't think I have the words.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Do they just see an optical illusion when they look up at night (OK, most nights) or something? A big ball of swamp gas?

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Canadian Bakin posted:

This is a thing? Does it include lunar landing conspiracies or is it even beyond that? I kinda get how people can not believe that we landed a man on the moon. But to not believe in the moon at all is just... well, I don't think I have the words.

I've known this conspiracy theory has been around for a while, but just now looking into it. Since "there is no moon" according to them the lunar landing conspiracy obviously ties into it.

That's why I'm wondering if this isn't similar to the Capgras delusion except for non-living objects.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.

Prism posted:

Do they just see an optical illusion when they look up at night (OK, most nights) or something? A big ball of swamp gas?

Weather balloon, probably.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Canadian Bakin posted:

Weather balloon, probably.

I don't think I have ever seen a real weather balloon in the sky, come to think of it. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Prism posted:

The video I linked to claims it is a hologram from a satellite that's in orbit.

• Locked thread