Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
I've seen plenty of protests in my day and it seems like nothing ever comes from them. Seems like a big waste of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Not in America.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

no

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Whatever happened to the Occupy thing that everyone here bought into?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

IronMaiden was a successful protest it toppled an entire government and put a new king on the iron throne

Arri
Jun 11, 2005
NpNp
depends on the type of protest

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

killed in a joint effort by the Establishment and Occupy. is now sole property of tech industry boneheads/

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Wicker Man posted:

Not in America.

True.

When US college kids protest something in the year 2014, they're hoping the police will "beat" or get violent with someone so they can film it and call the world an unfair place. They dream of being the next Kent State photo, or specifically, being the kid in the background of such a photo, or maybe the one who owns the right to the photo.

vocaloid orgasm
Apr 15, 2011

I keep on singing
Eternal life
VOCALOID
ask black people

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q6KAg6qEGY

The state of protest in the US

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The longer Occupy went on it separated into two camps you had the general filth camp and the gated camp. The gated camp was filled with angry white people looking to get stuff done and overthrow the establishment. Filth camp was all minorities and homeless and the people who were decribed as leeches and freeloaded by the people in the gated camp.

They have people read George orwell in elementary School so why do they never bother to teach self awareness? This was some definite Animal Farm level poo poo going on.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

oakland still keeps it real

e. lol at the guy holding the sign upside down

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

paranoid randroid posted:

Yeah but Oakland is filled with Raiders fans, they look for any excuse to burn things.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
The Occupy thing was weird because not only did they have no direction, but I think they were specifically trying to avoid having leaders because leaders=bad or some stupid poo poo.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

getting violent/destroying property is actually a good way to get your point across, no joke

civil disobedience is a loving joke, never participate. It worked for blacks in the 60s US because the powers that be were afraid of the alternative (Malcolm X).

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Wicker Man posted:

The Occupy thing was weird because not only did they have no direction, but I think they were specifically trying to avoid having leaders because leaders=bad or some stupid poo poo.

Most of the people there seemed to just want to get the police riled up and the no leaders thing was part of that because they thought they could outsmart the cops and fox news that way.

Madcosby posted:

getting violent/destroying property is actually a good way to get your point across, no joke

It's also a real good way to get shot by private citizens defending their property. You have some random rear end in a top hat looking to just wreck things there's going to be people in the general area armed who are out to defend their home or private business. Because random assholes always love using crowds to hide their crimes.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 20, 2014

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
best part about occupy oakland was when a bunch of people ditched a police kettle when some guy working in a YMCA opened the doors for them so they could slip through, and then the next day the cops arrested a bunch of the protest organizers for being accessories to breaking and entering or something goofy like that.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

What's the story behind this one in particular.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Only violent protests that overthrow the monopoly of force of the government. Hippy drum circles or feel good awareness protests never changed anything.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
funny pictures/gifs/atrocities

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
drum circles always get mentioned, like clockwork, in these threads and that is funny

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Disco Infiva posted:

What's the story behind this one in particular.

Childish poo poo mixed with demands to try to make their protest appeal to the public:

Full annual disclosure of budget
Full annual disclosure of endowment
Full union rights for all employees, including grad students
The creation of a socially responsible finance committee with the power to override the administration’s finance decision
This committee must be run by students and all members must sit on board of trustees
Annual scholarships for 13 Palestinian students
A donation of excess supplies to rebuild the University of Gaza
Tuition stabilization for all students
General public access to Bobst library
And, of course, full legal and disciplinary amnesty for all parties involved in the occupation

I love the Gaza stuff poinitlessly tacked on and the public access to a library in the busiest city in the US

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Stoic Commie posted:

funny pictures/gifs/atrocities

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

drum circles always get mentioned, like clockwork, in these threads and that is funny

More or less funny than people that believe in non violent protest?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Jose Oquendo posted:

the whole thing was engineered by a corporation-worshipping libertarian transhumanist transgirl lmao

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Gazpacho posted:

the whole thing was engineered by a corporation-worshipping libertarian transhumanist transgirl lmao

who wanted to pay homeless people to be human shields for her and her techie buddies

Bivens
Jun 23, 2003

die mensch·maschine

The Taint Reaper posted:

Most of the people there seemed to just want to get the police riled up and the no leaders thing was part of that because they thought they could outsmart the cops and fox news that way.

It's also a real good way to get shot by private citizens defending their property. You have some random rear end in a top hat looking to just wreck things there's going to be people in the general area armed who are out to defend their home or private business. Because random assholes always love using crowds to hide their crimes.

any excuse to live out your dream of being libertarian John Wayne, eh taint reaper

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Madcosby posted:

Childish poo poo mixed with demands to try to make their protest appeal to the public:

Full annual disclosure of budget
Full annual disclosure of endowment
Full union rights for all employees, including grad students
The creation of a socially responsible finance committee with the power to override the administration’s finance decision
This committee must be run by students and all members must sit on board of trustees
Annual scholarships for 13 Palestinian students
A donation of excess supplies to rebuild the University of Gaza
Tuition stabilization for all students
General public access to Bobst library
And, of course, full legal and disciplinary amnesty for all parties involved in the occupation

I love the Gaza stuff poinitlessly tacked on and the public access to a library in the busiest city in the US

Thanks. That guy with the camera was insufferable so I couldn't watch anymore. Who were the "hostages" that the negotiators were pissed about in the beginning?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the best part about non-violent protests is that police still beat the poo poo out of those protestors, and the rest of america just sits on their rear end because they're all pussies

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Disco Infiva posted:

Thanks. That guy with the camera was insufferable so I couldn't watch anymore. Who were the "hostages" that the negotiators were pissed about in the beginning?

To discuss their demands with NYU administration, two or three of the Student Center occupiers left the building to have a discussion.

THEY NEVER RETURNED

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
america loves watching protestors get hosed up. parents of people killed at kent state even thought that their kids must have been doing something wrong if they got shot.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
If you are in college and get the chance to go to an anti-war protest, do it. Pretend to be wanna-be hippies and hit on the rich pretty girls pretending to be wanna-be hippies. The charade is so obvious, you can all just duck into a nearby bar for drinks in the middle of the day, and have some anti-war protest sex later on.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
yes occupy wall street has destroyed the upper class and tibet is now free

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012
There's protestantism

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
this is the only thing americans will get together for

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cis white male
Jul 5, 2014

i'm a fag i'm a lesbian
Zizek got a book out of Occupy that compares the whole thing to 'The Wire', so no,

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!
No because pacifism is the hegemonic order of the day and until that gets broken they are pretty much just theater that gives this democracy the whiff of legitimacy because everyone got their chance to have their say before the police started cracking heads so Free Speech in America wouldn't disrupt the evening commute.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Anyone who isn't dirt poor and suffering is too comfortable with their current life to risk losing it or any freedoms by actually doing anything. At least in the US.

cis white male
Jul 5, 2014

i'm a fag i'm a lesbian

Aristotle Animes posted:

No because pacifism is the hegemonic order of the day and until that gets broken they are pretty much just theater that gives this democracy the whiff of legitimacy because everyone got their chance to have their say before the police started cracking heads so Free Speech in America wouldn't disrupt the evening commute.

yah, democracy and 'freedom of thought' is really just 'freedom to be a slave'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You know that whole Arab Spring thing really died out quick I wonder what happened to that lol prolly nothin'.
--A Goons

• Locked thread