Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did we go to the moon?
Yes
No
View Results

• Locked thread
Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Yeah, we did. We even left a bunch of poo poo behind as proof. I understand that it might be hard to believe that America was ever capable of doing anything that doesn't involve eating bad food or murdering people, but we loving did that poo poo. We did that poo poo 6 times. :fsmug::911::patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
loving right we did.

also, this is cool too
http://www.asteroidzoo.org/

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
tbh the moon landing at this point was basically us going to a dumb rock and realizing everything on it was stupid as hell and the only people interested in it at this point are the chinese but their made in china robot broke (shocker)

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
How is the flag blowing in the wind when there's no atmosphere on the moon? Eat poo poo homo OP.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
dots and arrows arent' proof of anything

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
The purpose of the Apollo program was to test ICBMs. That's it. The Apollo program was also super unpopular because everyone knew it was a waste of time and money.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
We currently have the opportunity to bring back the cold war.
It can be just like those days when we actually got poo poo done.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

Wooten posted:

Yeah, we did. We even left a bunch of poo poo behind as proof. I understand that it might be hard to believe that America was ever capable of doing anything that doesn't involve eating bad food or murdering people, but we loving did that poo poo. We did that poo poo 6 times. :fsmug::911::patriot:

New moon theroy is in, is wasn't earth ejecta that caused it, it was earth saying, hey rock comere and a bucnha asteriods hit it, causing the mass of jupiter to swell 12X its mass.

also, gently caress the moon, and i hate it.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Whirlwind Jones posted:

How is the flag blowing in the wind when there's no atmosphere on the moon? Eat poo poo homo OP.

vibrations of the flag pole

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ron Paul Hype Man posted:

We currently have the opportunity to bring back the cold war.
It can be just like those days when we actually got poo poo done.

i kind of agree with Neil Tyson if Russia or China decided to go to Mars we'd be there in ~3 yrs + the few months it would take to make the rocket for it

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Nope.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
If we really went to the moon than why is the moon still there? Surely we would have taken it back with us. Makes you think.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Robo Reagan posted:

i kind of agree with Neil Tyson if Russia or China decided to go to Mars we'd be there in ~3 yrs + the few months it would take to make the rocket for it

Didn't they recently do a study & decide that the radiation levels in deep space are so hosed up that sending humans to Mars was going to end up being sending corpses to Mars?

e: nevermind

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
lollin' at this username/post combo over here.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Didn't they recently do a study & decide that the radiation levels in deep space are so hosed up that sending humans to Mars was going to end up being sending corpses to Mars?

Gotta start somewhere.

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Hey that ain't bad for 500 days

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Trixie Hardcore posted:

there's all kinds of other problems to worry about. bone atrophy is the obvious one, but now people are starting to realize that people on the ISS go farsighted in space since the low/zero gravity fucks with the shape of your eyes. it'll be interesting to see what problems crop up when people are stuck on a shuttle for ~2 years round trip along with whatever time they spend on Mars, which has something near 40% of Earth's gravity

basically humans and all life on Earth except for water bears, which are immortal, is designed for earth's exact pressure and earth's exact amount of gravity and earth's exact heat. things start messing up when suddenly the gravity is gone for very long periods of time

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 21, 2014

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

If we actually landed on the moon then Bart Sibrel wouldn't have called Neil Armstrong a liar and got punched in the face.

But he did, so obviously we didn't land on the moon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wptn5RE2I-k

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

ThaGrandCow posted:

If we actually landed on the moon then Bart Sibrel wouldn't have called Neil Armstrong a liar and got punched in the face.

But he did, so obviously we didn't land on the moon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wptn5RE2I-k

buzz aldrin swear on the bible

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
doesn't Buzz go on rants about NASA covering up aliens now or something?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
america #1 go to moon

always go to moon

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape

Robo Reagan posted:

there's all kinds of other problems to worry about. bone atrophy is the obvious one, but now people are starting to realize that people on the ISS go farsighted in space since the low/zero gravity fucks with the shape of your eyes. it'll be interesting to see what problems crop up when people are stuck on a shuttle for ~2 years round trip along with whatever time they spend on Mars, which has something near 40% of Earth's gravity

basically humans and all life on Earth except for water bears, which are immortal, is designed for earth's exact pressure and earth's exact amount of gravity and earth's exact heat. things start messing up when suddenly the gravity is gone for very long periods of time

You can create artificial gravity fairly easy by causing the spacecraft to spin, but I'm guessing they aren't going to send a craft there that does that.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

CommonTerry posted:

You can create artificial gravity fairly easy by causing the spacecraft to spin, but I'm guessing they aren't going to send a craft there that does that.

how fast would it have to spin to create gravity

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

sether01 posted:

9 metters per second

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Whirlwind Jones posted:

9 metters per second

round and round?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

sether01 posted:

round and round?

yah

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
also you forgot to ^2 it

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
i want a real answer as to how fast it would have to rotate create artificial gravity "rather easily" i don't think it's easy i dunno tho

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Robo Reagan posted:

Robots are the way to go. Manned missions are and have always been a pointless money burn.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

sether01 posted:

round and round?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06ivpojdfKM

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
Instead of spinning the ship, which would cost a lot in R&D, and then for the parts, and the quality control, could we just spin the person?

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Whirlwind Jones posted:

9 metters per second

No that would be acceleration, but you could build the ship so the decks are parallel to thrust and just accelerate at 9/ms until you're half way there and then flip around and decelerate at 9/ms when you get there. How fast you have to spin depends on the radius of the ship, so you would have to make it fairly large if you didn't want to throw up a lot. But if the ship was 500 meters wide it would have make one revolution every 44 seconds to simulate gravity. Which seems kind of fast to me, but I'm not a rocket scientist.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

sether01 posted:

i want a real answer as to how fast it would have to rotate create artificial gravity "rather easily" i don't think it's easy i dunno tho
Centripetal acceleration is (v^2)/r or omega*r^2. So it depends on how wide the spacecraft is.

Guy Fleegman
Jul 8, 2009

by XyloJW
Go ahead. Ask me again.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
space is falling at 11'317~23,435 miles a second, depends on who you ask.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Guy Fleegman posted:

Go ahead. Ask me again.

came to post dis. owns forever.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

sether01 posted:

the smaller the craft, the faster it has to spin. the math is pretty simple, v^2/r =9.8 (earth's gravity) and find your required angular velocity with a = v/r then just plug in. At with a 100 meter craft shaped like a cylinder you'd need to spin at 31 m/s consistently through the craft which means you're doing roughly 3 rpm. the trick in the near future will probably be to do something like simulate 60% of Earth's gravity, not as demanding and you don't suffer like you're in 0g the entire time. probably not going to have lumpy ships though, simulating gravity requires having most of your mass in the center or else things get wobbly.

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 21, 2014

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
By the way a dyson sphere would require more mass than the galaxy known exists, to create.

Guy Fleegman
Jul 8, 2009

by XyloJW

Chinatown posted:

came to post dis. owns forever.

You know, I'd go through that humiliation just to be able to say that I got punched in the moosh by an astronaut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Disappointed in the lack of Goku option.

• Locked thread