Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I had no idea how bad Partners in time, Sticker Star, and Dream Machine were. I couldn't remember which ones were the good Mario RPGs that I was missing, but the one I was supposed to get was Bowser's Inside Story.

But yeah there's a real stark line between the good ones like Super Mario RPG, Superstar Saga, Paper Mario 64, and Thousand Year Door and crap like that.

Like we're talking the difference between the good final fantasies and final fantasy 13, that is a wide gap in quality. I know one of them was Other M'd because they didn't want a story or something. But geez all three come across as games that felt like they couldn't leave well enough alone. They all feel like soulless imitations or like a Michael bay reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HeyCrapOnThis
Jul 3, 2002

why do you think people don't like you so much taint ripper

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i like all the super mario rpg's that ive played but i havent played dream team, or super paper mario or sticker star which i guess are the ones lauded as not v good?

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

partners in time is ok

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

dream team would be good if it ever got out of tutorial mode and was like 10 hours shorter

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
owned, OP

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

partners in time would have been okay if it lasted maybe 1/3 as long as it did, even then it woulda been really formulaic and slow

has anything involving Baby Mario Brothers ever been truly good, besides yoshi's island?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

lesbian baphomet posted:

partners in time would have been okay if it lasted maybe 1/3 as long as it did, even then it woulda been really formulaic and slow

has anything involving Baby Mario Brothers ever been truly good, besides yoshi's island?

mario kart double dash

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

fronz posted:

mario kart double dash

the chain chomp power owned, true, even though the BAby Bros sucked otherwise

WhenInRome
Jun 17, 2011
superstar saga was a p good mario rpg

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

I find the sprites in Superstar Saga really unnerving for some reason, like their pupils are too big or something

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Just bought Mario golf world tour. Feeling petty good about it

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Partners In Time is just firmly "meh" for me. It doesn't have the charm and humor Superstar Saga did that made it so memorable. I feel similarly about BiS, it's good, but they overuse Fawful. He's way better as the lackey and not the main villain.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

super mario strikers is the best mario sports game

its just as good, if not better than fifa street

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

confirmed, proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6CLfZl0m88

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

fronz posted:

mario kart double dash

I liked being player number 2 and dashing off of cliffs because the failure music was kind of epic in that game.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Wormskull posted:

I liked being player number 2 and dashing off of cliffs because the failure music was kind of epic in that game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09s-c2JVI40

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Dude this was on the Zeldathon sound board and you are now retriggering my post-Zeldathon depression. Thanks a bunch.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Isn't that only in Strikers Charged where he does that and not the original?

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

Isn't that only in Strikers Charged where he does that and not the original?

Nah, it was in the original too.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Terror Sweat posted:

mario strikers charged is superior but yes. i really really hope they announce a new mario strikers game soon so that rosalina can be in it and kick the poo poo out of everyone as a space mom

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

sharrrk posted:

mario strikers charged is superior but yes. i really really hope they announce a new mario strikers game soon so that rosalina can be in it and kick the poo poo out of everyone as a space mom

We also need ALL OF THE KOOPALINGS

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

the mario strikers guys were also gonna make another mario sports game called super mario spikers. it was gonna be half-volleyball/half-wrestling and i have no idea how that was going to work but i want it. it was cancelled though, the only footage available is of an animation of waluigi jumping on mario's corpse and hitting a volleyball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZkDwQH405M

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

there's not really a wrong mario game

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

my mom was pissed that my dad got her sticker star and dream team
mom knows best

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Iggy Koopa posted:

i like all the super mario rpg's that ive played but i havent played dream team, or super paper mario or sticker star which i guess are the ones lauded as not v good?

Super paper is ok if you don't go in expecting a game like regular paper mario. The charcters are pretty good and the story has some good high points (like an entire chapter where you navigate a super goony chameleon's anime nerd layer to rescue peach)

Sticker star is pretty much the opposite where the story/characters/levels/bosses are super boring and the battle system is pretty cool (well, besides the dumb as gently caress no levels thing). Plus there's literally 0 side quests or extra things to do so you can beat the game in 2 days.

Dream Team was meh. It's a perfectly serviceable M&L game but there's nothing that really grabs you.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 21, 2014

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Jackie D posted:

partners in time is ok

You know what would be fun? If we saddled the player with a super weak version of mario and luigi and gave the bosses final fantasy levels of too much HP.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

No Such Thing posted:

there's not really a wrong mario game

Oh yes there are tons

Try around 15+ Mario games that are complete garbage but were official releases

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kne6AKyYUuM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unhavc-_WBE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOzCQ9egtZs

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Having only played Superstar Saga when it came out, what Mario and Luigi game should I play now? What is the best one?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

beepstreet posted:

Having only played Superstar Saga when it came out, what Mario and Luigi game should I play now? What is the best one?

Gamerankings.com says Bowser's Inside story is the only worthy one that is worth the sacrifice of your first born.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Thousand Year Door has terrible music an atrocious level design an was only marginally better written than Paper Mario.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Also they tweened the character models instead of actually animating them and it was ugly a gently caress.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Oh man what condition does this poor sucker have :(

wish these were translated - or that i understood russian; i'd take either one

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
large amounts o f krokodil

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
The only worthwhile level in Thousand Year Door is Glitzville. The rest of the game has some fun characters and cool ideas but in practice the dungeons consist entirely of walking back and forth through a series of dressed up hallways.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

beepstreet posted:

Bowser's inside story is considered to be the best so I would start there. If you want more after that check out dream team.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

matrix ripoff posted:

wish these were translated - or that i understood russian; i'd take either one

they are translated you have the subtitles at the bottom or click the English version in the beginning.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
mario sucks. sonic ftw.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
I loved Superstar Saga, but Partners in Time really blew and I never finished it or went any further down the Mario & Luigi RPG line. I guess I should probably check out the Fantastic Bowser Voyage one if it's actually good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

ladyboy pancake posted:

Thousand Year Door has terrible music an atrocious level design an was only marginally better written than Paper Mario.

mods?

• Locked thread