Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Roleplaying is loving stupid and playing suboptimal just for a dumb little story that you have going in your head and not even in the game world is ALSO loving STUPID. Always get the best equipment and best builds and the best ending. Why even play games if you aren't trying to be the best?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Pity reply, human being!!!

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
Lol if you arent a caster. Get on my level pugulist scum

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

exmorte posted:

Lol if you arent a caster. Get on my level muggle scum

sesame_samuel_
Dec 24, 2012

Pork Pro

conceitedguy posted:

Pity reply, human being!!!
kickass avatar

also quoted post is my sentiments

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
I cannot enjoy myself in a videogame unless my numbers are as high as I can get them. I will spend literally weeks trying to get a single number to go up, even just a little bit.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
fuk u borsche

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

He's right, though.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

RPG hasn't meant roleplaying for like 30 years. It means stat and loot whoring while yelling at NPCs or other people in languages they can't understand.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

I like to make numbers big, to create a build that is strong and level it up.

Vhadka
Apr 30, 2009

It's more fun to roleplay when you're an unstoppable killing machine anyway, gently caress crippling a character just to fit into a dumb narrative

5 DOLLAR FOOT LONG
Jul 14, 2007

dodecatuple secret probation
pole playing?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
If you're actually good, you don't need to min/max.

Sorry you're poo poo at games OP

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

If you're good at games, you DON"T push the system to the limit and go beyond normal gameplay to utterly destroy the competition... Yeah, that's a sane thought.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Borsche69 posted:

Roleplaying is loving stupid and playing suboptimal just for a dumb little story that you have going in your head and not even in the game world is ALSO loving STUPID. Always get the best equipment and best builds and the best ending. Why even play games if you aren't trying to be the best?

Tbh games go out of their way to make you the best no matter how hard you try to gently caress it up.

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
I already have -2 agility or whatever in real life cause of my banged up knee I don't need that hassle in game life too mate.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i have min/max tunnel vision and i will make characters who will die at the drop of a hat but can deal a billion damage

my borderlands lilith was a god of death but my main source of healing was second winds, i'd run out, fall over dead, and shoot something to death

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

conceitedguy posted:

If you're good at games, you DON"T push the system to the limit and go beyond normal gameplay to utterly destroy the competition... Yeah, that's a sane thought.

Min/maxing is not what you think it is. Min/maxing is following a game's system and setup so perfectly that the game is easy. Because it's built around you doing that, just not doin it that well.

Having average stats all around so you can get a bunch of unrelated skills and abilities and synergize them in ways unforseen? That's pushing the limits of a game and breaking it over your knee.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Kazvall posted:

RPG hasn't meant roleplaying for like 30 years. It means stat and loot whoring while yelling at NPCs or other people in languages they can't understand.

yeah if you Actually want to do roleplaying then idk do some tabletop or 'live-action role playing' or whatever make believe bullshit you have to do these days. If you're playing a video game, then you have to win.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I just always roleplay a guy who is good at murdering human being computers and getting lots of gold

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
420 summon twin dremora lords erryday

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I roleplay as the guy who ruins the economy by stealing everything of value, producing cubic meters of the lowest-quality equipment and forcing vendors to buy it from me, and takes every available job whether I intend to do them or not.

Dec 26, 2012

Borsche69 posted:

yeah if you Actually want to do roleplaying then idk do some tabletop or 'live-action role playing' or whatever make believe bullshit you have to do these days. If you're playing a video game, then you have to win.

wisdom

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Borsche69 posted:

If I'm playing a single player game chances are I don't have anyone to prove I'm the best to so I don't care too much about it, OP. I have more fun seeing if I can make something suboptimal work regardless. Cheers.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

If there is leaderboards, or it's a multiplayer game however, I am inclined to play it optimally since, well, not only does it prove your an epic gamer, but it's how you win the game.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

If you have to play something completely optimally, like I assume the highest difficulties in Civ or something, does it count as min maxing still, or is it just playing the game.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Agreed on the getting numbers to go up topic.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
Roleplaying can be fun. When MGS Online was still a thing I roleplayed a pacifist and people got totally mad when you used the tranquilizing weapons instead of just killing them, even though the weapons were there to be used and theoretically they'd spend more time in the game that way.

Wormskull posted:

I have more fun seeing if I can make something suboptimal work regardless. Cheers.
basically this but multiplayer too

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I liked to play APB by using the little stun gun thing that sucked rear end and then /flirting with folks after arresting them cuz a lot of them would fly way off the handle about it. My favorite moment was waiting near people doing a mission and trying to get into the mission against them and when I did, I instantly stunned and arrested and /flirted this dude and he was screaming into the VOIP at the top of his lungs GET THAT BITCH!! YEAH GET HER!!! gently caress!!! GET THE loving BITCH!!! for like the 20 seconds I was trying to evade all his buddies.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Wormskull posted:

If I'm playing a single player game chances are I don't have anyone to prove I'm the best to so I don't care too much about it, OP. I have more fun seeing if I can make something suboptimal work regardless. Cheers.

Oh. I've never thought about it like this. Sorry.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Wormskull posted:

I liked to play APB by using the little stun gun thing that sucked rear end and then /flirting with folks after arresting them cuz a lot of them would fly way off the handle about it. My favorite moment was waiting near people doing a mission and trying to get into the mission against them and when I did, I instantly stunned and arrested and /flirted this dude and he was screaming into the VOIP at the top of his lungs GET THAT BITCH!! YEAH GET HER!!! gently caress!!! GET THE loving BITCH!!! for like the 20 seconds I was trying to evade all his buddies.

I don't get how people can get that worked up that they have to shout into the mic as loudly as possible.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
building the best possible character is in fact roleplaying, just roleplaying someone competent

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
When I get home from work today I'm going to start a new Skyrim character who's a fisherman and who only uses armor/weapons/tools that the average Nord fisherman would have at his disposal. gently caress you roleplaying [RPing] owns.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
i like to tweak everything in my game to be as 'realistic' as possible, but because i am unbelievably cool and powerful irl, it usually means just turning on godmode

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

roleplaying is basically creating your own, gayer win condition

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Heartbroken 2Twice posted:

Roleplaying can be fun. When MGS Online was still a thing I roleplayed a pacifist and people got totally mad when you used the tranquilizing weapons instead of just killing them, even though the weapons were there to be used and theoretically they'd spend more time in the game that way.

basically this but multiplayer too

More multiplayer games need nonlethal options just for the rage potential.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

zen death robot posted:

i just use the console and punch in whatever abilities i want in games like new vegas and skyrim, it's like the ultimate in min/maxing

Sorry man you're playing your video games wrong. Can somebody sort this chucklehead out? Mods??

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Who the gently caress "roleplays" in a single player game?

All your interactions in the world are forced to be in character so why would you keep using lovely gear?

I don't consider using a sub-optimal gimmick skill build to be roleplaying, it's just doing what you think is interesting.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Borsche69 posted:

I don't get how people can get that worked up that they have to shout into the mic as loudly as possible.

I dunno, man. Some people like getting drunk while playing games. Shouting is just a natural occurrence under those conditions. They've proven it with laboratory rats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Who the gently caress "roleplays" in a single player game?

All your interactions in the world are forced to be in character so why would you keep using lovely gear?

I don't consider using a sub-optimal gimmick skill build to be roleplaying, it's just doing what you think is interesting.

in skyrim you end up being able to improve any kind of armour to the armour cap and also jack up any weapon you want to be able to more or less 1-hit kill stuff. not even min-maxing or grinding, it just happens through reasonably playing the game

• Locked thread