Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Even though the feud was absolutely stupid in parts, I thought Bray looked like a million bucks through it. That match him and Jericho was hot garbage tho. Everyone got all their poo poo in and called it a night.

I honestly can't remember when Jericho has had a decent to good match since going into part time status. Shawn Michaels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I think they lost an opportunity with Bray to show that the goal for him isn't necessarily to win championships, all he really should want is a platform to spread his message from. And that beating John Cena would have been nice and exposed him as a fraud, but in reality that wasn't the goal, the goal was to spread his message further and Cena gave him the platform from which to do that. So Cena was able to save those who had looked to him for shelter, but those who hadn't were swept along by the current just the same.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

coconono posted:

Even though the feud was absolutely stupid in parts, I thought Bray looked like a million bucks through it. That match him and Jericho was hot garbage tho. Everyone got all their poo poo in and called it a night.

I honestly can't remember when Jericho has had a decent to good match since going into part time status. Shawn Michaels?

His feud with CM Punk a few years back was good. I'll still mark whenever i see him.

In any case, the problem with WWE is always going to be risk. They brought in Jericho because they viewed him as a "safe" guy to put Wyatt over, but the crowd knows what Jericho's role is at this point in this career. That destroys the rub that Wyatt is going to get from the feud, because everyone knows Jericho is just there to (eventually) lose. The best way to put guys over is to actually put them over top tier talents that the crowd buys in to. It's astounding that WWE isn't doing this with Wyatt given what they did so recently with Bryan and The Shield.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

coconono posted:

Dave gave his 2013 Payback match with Punk ****1/2.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Should have let Bray Wyatt interrupt a Fozzy concert and spread his gospel. No one really goes to Fozzy shows because they think the music is good, anyway.

Psybro
May 12, 2002
I was thinking that I just can't buy Jericho as a face any more since his 'gelatinous tapeworm' era. He worked so drat hard on that act and you can't just go back to square one from that.

Also, I think 2014 Face Jericho makes me feel resentful because he makes me feel old. When I got into wrestling at the age of 13, he was the man. He was the New poo poo when it felt like Rock, Austin, HHH and 'taker had already been around forever.

Now he's trying to do the same act it feels to me like it's out of time and irrelevant, thereby making my adolescence and entire wrestling fanhood equally out of time and irrelevant.

Basically it used to piss me off when they got Jim Duggan out of mothballs to do his retarded poo poo for nostalgia, but now Jericho is my Jim Duggan.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Psybro posted:

I was thinking that I just can't buy Jericho as a face any more since his 'gelatinous tapeworm' era. He worked so drat hard on that act and you can't just go back to square one from that.

Also, I think 2014 Face Jericho makes me feel resentful because he makes me feel old. When I got into wrestling at the age of 13, he was the man. He was the New poo poo when it felt like Rock, Austin, HHH and 'taker had already been around forever.

Now he's trying to do the same act it feels to me like it's out of time and irrelevant, thereby making my adolescence and entire wrestling fanhood equally out of time and irrelevant.

Basically it used to piss me off when they got Jim Duggan out of mothballs to do his retarded poo poo for nostalgia, but now Jericho is my Jim Duggan.

You think that's bad? I am listening to Jericho's podcast right now and it's the most embarrassing thing I've heard in a while. He's trying so hard to be cool, but he just ends up being the cool dad-type guy. Randomly doing song quotes and sound effects, but with no cohost or any noise but him rambling, it's just awful. I'm right there with you, Jericho debuted in WWF just when I was getting into wrestling, and now it just makes me sad.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Rodney the Piper posted:

Dave gave his 2013 Payback match with Punk ****1/2.

I remember that match being long, slow and kinda devoid of heat. To the Network!

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

rotinaj posted:

You think that's bad? I am listening to Jericho's podcast right now and it's the most embarrassing thing I've heard in a while. He's trying so hard to be cool, but he just ends up being the cool dad-type guy. Randomly doing song quotes and sound effects, but with no cohost or any noise but him rambling, it's just awful. I'm right there with you, Jericho debuted in WWF just when I was getting into wrestling, and now it just makes me sad.

We are slowly walking our way to the grave. Everything we love will crumble to dust and be forgotten.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

rotinaj posted:

Jericho debuted in WWF just when I was getting into wrestling, and now it just makes me sad.

The best way to explain how long Jericho has been around is that his nickname is a pun on Y2K, which is now 15 years old.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

coconono posted:

I remember that match being long, slow and kinda devoid of heat. To the Network!

You might be thinking of the one before, where Jericho was trying to make him an alcoholic for some reason.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

RacistGuidingLight posted:

You might be thinking of the one before, where Jericho was trying to make him an alcoholic for some reason.

That feud was mostly good matches though, the story was what was garbage about it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Last night's ppv is why I like the Network. I want to watch all the PPVs just to stay in touch with the product. It's been a long time since I've been able to watch anything outside of Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania. It will have to get to WCW 2000 levels before I cancel. I hope the Wyatt program goes somewhere but we'll see. Ambrose and Rollins is still the best program currently. That main event did nothing for me. I love Reigns and think he has a lot of physical charisma, but I don't know if he's going to be that exciting as a singles star.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

For some reason, I just looked at Brock Lesnar's (who conquered the Undertaker's streak at Wrestlemania) Twitter account, and every post is just a retweet of something from Paul Heyman's account. That owns. I love you, Brock. :allears:

Edit: Except for his very first tweet in April of last year, which is hilariously lame

quote:

Brock Lesnar @BrockLesnar · 2 Apr 2013
Hey, @TripleH. I'm ready to play The Game. Bring the PAIN! #Wrestlemania

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 21, 2014

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

rotinaj posted:

Jericho's podcasts are really good if you only listen to the ones with interesting guests and fast-forward through Jericho's personal rambling, pimping of Fozzy, card predictions and 1980s radio-DJ commercials.

This also reduces said podcasts to about 1/3 their intended length.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Spikeguy posted:

Last night's ppv is why I like the Network. I want to watch all the PPVs just to stay in touch with the product. It's been a long time since I've been able to watch anything outside of Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania. It will have to get to WCW 2000 levels before I cancel. I hope the Wyatt program goes somewhere but we'll see. Ambrose and Rollins is still the best program currently. That main event did nothing for me. I love Reigns and think he has a lot of physical charisma, but I don't know if he's going to be that exciting as a singles star.

Reigns needs more time. Rubbing shoulders with Orton and Cena will certainly help him establish the presence he needs. Of the two, a series of matches with Cena would probably get him there.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Professor Funk posted:

Edit: Except for his very first tweet in April of last year, which is hilariously lame

I read "PAIN" as him saying it in his hilarious high pitched screechy voice

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Randy Orton got pulled over for tinted windows today by the FHP :laffo:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

triplexpac posted:

This is one area where WWE has trouble.

In normal storytelling, or in the territory days, when the babyface finally beats the top heel the heel is then gone for a while. He doesn't just stick around and move onto a lesser feud.

Bray could easily be rehabbed if he just went away for 3 months then came back in a huge way. But when he's around every show and we remember him losing to Cena it doesn't do him any favours.

When he didn't show up on the Raw after the Cena blowoff match (Payback?) and there was that really cool Harper promo talking about how it was their responsibility to spread his message now, I figured that was what was going to happen.

Bray goes away for a while, Harper and Rowan become the new Wyatt family, get to develop more rather than just being 'the other guys in the stable' and maybe at Summerslam Bray comes back during a match of theirs and just lays everyone out for corrupting his message or something like that.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Everblight posted:

The best way to explain how long Jericho has been around is that his nickname is a pun on Y2K, which is now 15 years old.

There are a significant portion of teenage WWE fans who have no idea what his name is in reference to because they weren't born yet. Think about that for a minute. Even kids who were like 3-5 years old at the time wouldn't have understood the reference back then, so there are even adult fans who wouldn't get it because the Y2K problem vanished the second it didn't happen.

This is like being a fan in the 80s and pushing a major star along Hogan and Warrior whose gimmick was a reference to the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

Future endeavored next Tuesday.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

sticklefifer posted:

There are a significant portion of teenage WWE fans who have no idea what his name is in reference to because they weren't born yet. Think about that for a minute. Even kids who were like 3-5 years old at the time wouldn't have understood the reference back then, so there are even adult fans who wouldn't get it because the Y2K problem vanished the second it didn't happen.

This is like being a fan in the 80s and pushing a major star along Hogan and Warrior whose gimmick was a reference to the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Krusher Khruschev?

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Randy Orton is cool and I want to be like him when I grow up.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

sticklefifer posted:

Randy Orton's finisher is a reference to a movie studio that was dissolved in 1957. This isn't really an issue.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Rodney the Piper posted:

Future endeavored next Tuesday.

Rehired next wednesday

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
F4W/WO posted the following, saying it's a statement from WWE:

quote:

"Last night's segment during WWE's Battleground event was in no way referring to the Malaysia Airlines tragedy. The storyline with characters Rusev and Lana has been a part of WWE programming for more than 3 months. WWE apologizes to anyone who misunderstood last night's segment and was offended."

That's about the shittiest way to respond to a (currently) minor controversy.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

woop woop

that's the sound a da police

woop woop

voices counselin me

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Randy Orton's finisher is a reference to a movie studio that was dissolved in 1957. This isn't really an issue.

actually it's a modified ace crusher that he calls the Randy Knock Out

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

triplexpac posted:

I read "PAIN" as him saying it in his hilarious high pitched screechy voice

here comes the PAIN?!?

i really like that brock is just a socially awkward misanthrope that doesn't know how to interact with the world at large

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Professor Funk posted:

here comes the PAIN?!?

i really like that brock is just a socially awkward misanthrope that doesn't know how to interact with the world at large

odd he isn't universally loved around here

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Isn't it just his initials?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

oatgan posted:

odd he isn't universally loved around here

Yeah I must be the only person here that likes Brock Lesnar

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

Isn't it just his initials?

Yeah, but his finisher would likely not be called "the RKO" if the acronym "RKO" wasn't already a part of the cultural lexicon due to RKO Pictures, and therefore sounds familiar and good to people even if they don't get the reference directly.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Source? I've literally never heard this in the six years I've been watching WWE.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Err. I thought it was a reference to a TKO as well as being his initials

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yeah, but his finisher would likely not be called "the RKO" if the acronym "RKO" wasn't already a part of the cultural lexicon due to RKO Pictures, and therefore sounds familiar and good to people even if they don't get the reference directly.

Or.. uh... it's a play on a "TKO" knockout?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Please tell me you're trolling.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Professor Funk posted:

Yeah I must be the only person here that likes Brock Lesnar

I have always liked Brock. He is like a super Vader. He is big, scary, and like Vader, totally willing to take as much or more than he dishes out. He bumps like a mad person, and while he doesn't talk all that well, who says he has to, Mike Tyson was a scary mother fucker, and he sounded like he was on helium half the time.

I remember watching a flag match when I was younger on VHS, and being just totally amazed when Bret Hart casually slammed Vader like it was no big deal, eat your heart out Hulkster.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

bradzilla posted:

Source? I've literally never heard this in the six years I've been watching WWE.

A source for RKO Pictures being an incredibly famous thing that existed?

uhhh

• Locked thread