Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

It really came as a surprise to me when all that had happened before and will happen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I wasn't the least bit surprised because I figured out they were winging it and had no real metaplot in the first season or so. The finale had me grating my teeth at how loving retarded it was but nope, no surprises. Starbuck Goes Poof and Let's Throw Our Spaceships Into The Sun were what really bugged the poo poo out of me, not so much God Did It (although that was simply bad if not surprising).

School Nickname posted:

How the did original cylons who rebelled for being treated unfairly, ever put up with his poo poo? Because drat he was the biggest prick in the show.

tbh his character's suicide rendered his entire existence totally pointless so my brain pretty much edited him out entirely what did he do earlier aside from leer at Mrs. Tigh and be vaguely creepy?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'd be the guy sitting on a ship going "no gently caress YOU just pretend I flew it into the sun okay. Go live in your stupid loving mud huts or whatever Lee, I'll be sitting here in comfort and when you're all starving come wintertime I'll send you some food grown in the hydroponics bay and some building materials shitted out of the manufacturing section."

Ain't taking my technologies.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

Decrepus posted:

It really came as a surprise to me when all that had happened before and will happen again.

It was ambiguous early on whether the show was supposed to be set in the distant past or distant future. I think the distant future would have been a far better choice. The ending with them destroying the ships and settling down with early humans was really, really dumb.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Decrepus posted:

Really makes you think. :downs:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

loved that tiny breakdancin robot at the very end there

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

mitochondrial eve lol

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

If there is anyone smart and charismatic enough to convince the entire fleet to abandon all facets of modern society and poo poo themselves to death, it's obviously Lee loving Adama

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

I'd be the guy sitting on a ship going "no gently caress YOU just pretend I flew it into the sun okay. Go live in your stupid loving mud huts or whatever Lee, I'll be sitting here in comfort and when you're all starving come wintertime I'll send you some food grown in the hydroponics bay and some building materials shitted out of the manufacturing section."

Ain't taking my technologies.

back then there was no pollution and diseases were few because they cant evolve without a high population density, and in the equator there was a pristine and abundant food supply year around. but enjoy dying in your tin can idiot

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

butplug accident posted:

back then there was no pollution and diseases were few because they cant evolve without a high population density, and in the equator there was a pristine and abundant food supply year around. but enjoy dying in your tin can idiot

That's fine Lee, enjoy yourself I'll be here with my power generators and electrical grid and plumbing having a good ol time. I think I'll start refining some alcohol in some of these leftover tanks you've so kindly decided to abandon. Maybe grow some... weeds.

Have fun planetside.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Daius posted:

If there is anyone smart and charismatic enough to convince the entire fleet to abandon all facets of modern society and poo poo themselves to death, it's obviously Lee loving Adama

It's really just a way for him to maintain his weight loss through constant starvation/diarrhea.

But really can't you see technology led us to our DOOOOOM we have to give it all up for a simpler life. It's such a deep and spiritual life in this mudpile.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I like that the guy with the ghost cat became president at the end

he was cool

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

tbh his character's suicide rendered his entire existence totally pointless so my brain pretty much edited him out entirely what did he do earlier aside from leer at Mrs. Tigh and be vaguely creepy?

at first they were like "what's your deal" and he's like "i'm a cylon" like he's joking, but then he turns out to actually be a cylon. later he shoots himself. i think that's about it

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Parallax Scroll posted:

at first they were like "what's your deal" and he's like "i'm a cylon" like he's joking, but then he turns out to actually be a cylon. later he shoots himself. i think that's about it

Is it just me or does it seem like characters shooting themselves is the only big plot twist they ever come up with (besides "I'm a cylon")?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Parallax Scroll posted:

He was cool as heck.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

That's fine Lee, enjoy yourself I'll be here with my power generators and electrical grid and plumbing having a good ol time. I think I'll start refining some alcohol in some of these leftover tanks you've so kindly decided to abandon. Maybe grow some... weeds.

Have fun planetside.

while you must singed-handedly spend all day maintaining a huge spaceship, lee's mongrel crew will be doing hard, fulfilling work which includes exploring new places to pick food off of trees from, and crafting various tools, but rarely for more than 4-6 hours a day. lol

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

loved that tiny breakdancin robot at the very end there

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

butplug accident posted:

while you must singed-handedly spend all day maintaining a huge spaceship, lee's mongrel crew will be doing hard, fulfilling work which includes exploring new places to pick food off of trees from, and crafting various tools, but rarely for more than 4-6 hours a day. lol

Nonsense, I'm trading the liquor to the engineers and mechanics who maintain my ship. We've got a little landing pad town going so they can alternate between living on planet and living on the ship.

Besides, this Cylon organic ship building whatever is doing most of the work for us!

I pretty much just throw kicking rad parties up here with all the best drugs and alcohol.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

Nonsense, I'm trading the liquor to the engineers and mechanics who maintain my ship. We've got a little landing pad town going so they can alternate between living on planet and living on the ship.

Besides, this Cylon organic ship building whatever is doing most of the work for us!

I pretty much just throw kicking rad parties up here with all the best drugs and alcohol.

ew gross, a roleplayer.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i guess ziggy said he should shoot himself

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
the ending of the show was pretty cool because there was no way they could actually tie up every plot thread and character arc in a satisfying way, so not even trying and instead just doing a cool spiritual 2001-esque :lsd: of an ending was totally the way to go

the fact that it made so many sci-fi people mad because it wasn't "realistic" just made it better

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i think its fine to have god exist and do stuff in works of fiction

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Parallax Scroll posted:

I agree, it doesn't bother me as someone that doesn't believe in that stuff irl.

People are way too sensitive about their fantasy.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Decrepus posted:

If you were surprised at the end of the show that God was real then I don't know what to tell you other than you are probably learning disabled.

My favorite part of the show was God leading people to salvation by having an angel gently caress a sociopath into righteousness.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

...of SCIENCE! posted:

the ending of the show was pretty cool because there was no way they could actually tie up every plot thread and character arc in a satisfying way, so not even trying and instead just doing a cool spiritual 2001-esque :lsd: of an ending was totally the way to go
Yeah but it wasn't cool because it was tonally all over the place.

You have Baltar's banter about shagging the local apes, you have Roslin dying (spoilers), Starbuck just fucks off, some people go to Iceland etc.?, all the spaceships go into the sun apart from the stupid basestar? And then RDM winks at the camera while a moral is almost literally read out?

Just make one of those the focus and have the end revolve around that thing.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

jBrereton posted:

Yeah but it wasn't cool because it was tonally all over the place.

You have Baltar's banter about shagging the local apes, you have Roslin dying (spoilers), Starbuck just fucks off, some people go to Iceland etc.?, all the spaceships go into the sun apart from the stupid basestar? And then RDM winks at the camera while a moral is almost literally read out?

Just make one of those the focus and have the end revolve around that thing.

roslin's scene was very good, really the only good part of the ep imo.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Parallax Scroll posted:

that's fine but god should probably have motivations or intent or something beyond just providing a threadbare motivation for actors to cry/shout at each other

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i mean for gently caress sake the biblical god is literally more of a character than bsg's god

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

that's fine but god should probably have motivations or intent or something beyond just providing a threadbare motivation for actors to cry/shout at each other

oh wait sorry i meant to say god should serve more of a purpose than just being something for people to talk cryptically and portentously about

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

the bsg god is literally jimi hendrix tho

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Levar Burton just emailed me, turns out I can't meet the BSG crew until much later than August :(

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
'God is real, but He's also a useless nutbar' is the best magical-realist theology

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!
Remember that episode where a bunch of the main characters go to a temple or something and are shown the way to Earth based on the appearance of constellations from Earth's surface? No? Neither did the show, because that Earth was the lovely nuked Earth that they didn't settle on and we apparently don't live on right now.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im the guy that was roslins assistant, quit the show so he could go for bigger roles and thus died in a dumb way and never got a singe good role after

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
it's really cool that SyFy doesn't make actual good shows anymore because it's cheaper and easier to get people to watch lovely Asylum movies with wacky ironic names

:iamafag::hf::razz:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Davincie posted:

im the guy that was roslins assistant, quit the show so he could go for bigger roles and thus died in a dumb way and never got a singe good role after

billy was a cucked beta on the show and a cucked beta in real life

edit: also syfy really never made good shows. BSG was sort of an anomaly in quality and great acting, but most of the stargate stuff sucked and Farscape was ok but not as good as people claim.

they still "try to make good shows". recently they try-harded with this retarded show called Helix with "RONALD D MOORE" and holy mother of god that was awful. i'd rather watch some cheesy sharkapeplatypus-nado than that crap.

VVVVVV har har, beaten. But that's a very good point about Sky. That's probably 80% of the reason BSG turned out as good as it did.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 22, 2014

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

...of SCIENCE! posted:

it's really cool that SyFy doesn't make actual good shows anymore...
Reminder that they never did, other than BSG which was their fluke hit, and was started in coproduction with Sky, which is basically Fox UK.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
So wait, at the end of the show the humans decide to live on some new planet they found, caveman style?

They willfully abandon modern (future) medicine, science, plumbing and electricity to live in mud huts and hunt animals for food with rocks and clubs?

What the gently caress.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Present posted:

So wait, at the end of the show the humans decide to live on some new planet they found, caveman style?

They willfully abandon modern (future) medicine, science, plumbing and electricity to live in mud huts and hunt animals for food with rocks and clubs?

What the gently caress.

correct, because technology leads to a cycle of cylons murdering poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Present posted:

What the gently caress.
because. also theres a flashforward to the future where they show furbys or somethign in a storeshop window and earth is catching up with robots again

all this has happened before and all is human being

• Locked thread