Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

al-azad posted:

Get any of Telltale's games. Whenever I'm listening to my podcasts and people are talking about The Walking Dead or The Wolf Among Us it's something along the lines of "My significant other loves this game because they can interject over my shoulder." If you have a PS3 then get Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls. You and your girlfriend can share a laugh as you manhandle the controller to take a shower or torture Ellen Page.

Yeah, a PS3 is high on the list of poo poo we need asap, but I can't afford to spend more than $50 on one right now so we're stuck with the 360 for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Could anyone recommend some good Civilization 4 mods? I typically look for mods that add lots of content or change the game to fantasy/sci-fi settings, but any stand out mods would be appreciated.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Looking for a game with the following characteristics:

PC
Has depth to it, but can be played for short periods.
Possibility of online play. but not always and this is not that necessary.

Yeah, it's hard. The amount of time I can play varies a lot, so MMO's are out. I liked things like Fallout, Skyrim, etc. My go to used to be World of Tanks but I am burnt out on that. I have been thinking Dark Souls 1 or 2, but it looks too much like a console game, and people seem to have a bad opinion of it. I wouldn't mind some of the F2P games like Warframe, but they are always online and co op, and I get interrupted a lot.

Geez, that sounds more like I don't know what I want and that is probably true. What's something I can get drawn into if I have the time, but if I don't, or life keeps interrupting me, I can still do something for 15 minutes?

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Have you tried Mount and Blade: Warband?

It's a medieval sandbox-y game where you play as some dude. You can build up a team of veteran fighters and conquer nations or just dick around. There are some pretty awesome online play mods if you want. I've had a pretty good time with it and one my friends is absolutely fanatical about it. You can save basically whenever so it's great for short play sessions or longer marathons. It sounds like it might be up your alley.

Oh, and don't bother with the first game if you get around to checking it out. Warband is just a straight upgrade across the board.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

SubjectVerbObject posted:

I have been thinking Dark Souls 1 or 2, but it looks too much like a console game, and people seem to have a bad opinion of it.

Is this a joke?

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

MrBims posted:

Is this a joke?

Which part, and no. One of the threads in PYF about annoying things in games had the title changed to add 'shut up about Dark Souls.' Reading the Dark Souls 2 PC thread, there is a lot of issues with mouse lag and it seems like it the port is imperfect. I mean, the initial tutorial still has console controller tips in it. It has been a bit since I read the thread so I don't know if there have been any improvements.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

The Souls games are pretty great but goons have a hard time shutting up about them. They're at least worth checking out, but they're more hardcore than your average game (expect to die a lot) and since they're checkpoint based they aren't always the best for playing in short bursts. As you've probably noticed, the PC ports are pretty minimal, but they're popular games for a reason.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Eggie posted:

Could anyone recommend some good Civilization 4 mods? I typically look for mods that add lots of content or change the game to fantasy/sci-fi settings, but any stand out mods would be appreciated.

Fall from Heaven 2 is the obvious one. In case you haven't heard of it, it's a total conversion that changes the civilizations into various fantasy races, ranging from dwarves to vampires. The fantasy setting is a world approaching an apocalyptic event about to turn everything into a smouldering hellscape. All kinds of nasty things start to happen as the apocalypse advances. Tiles start to turn into ruined versions, and really powerful monster creatures appear on the map wreaking havoc.

The races have much more pronounced differences than the civs in the vanilla game. The tech tree is also completely reworked, with most of the original techs completely gone, replaced by new ones introducing magic spells and other such stuff. It's less deep, but a lot wider, again encouraging wildly different strategies for the different races. Leaders for the races are divided along an good/neutral/evil axis, and diplomatic alliances tend to form across those lines. Good races want to prevent the apocalypse from advancing to preserve their land, and evil ones just want everything to burn since they are typically better at surviving the worse conditions.

Everything is not super well documented in the civilopedia, but there are outside sources you can look up. Or, you know, just wing it. It's a lot slower paced than the standard game anyway, since the map in the beginning is full of very strong wandering monsters which make rapid expansion practically impossible.

Better BUG AI is what I have installed for standard Civ 4 play. This is a fairly old merged mod, and I haven't really been following up if there's been something that supersedes this. It's convenient and has worked fine for me. It combines the Better BTS AI mod, which significantly improves the way AI civs play the game, and the BTS Unaltered Gameplay mod, which provides a far more information rich UI, and lots of customization options.

The civfanatics modpacks forums has a bunch of stuff as well, if you want to browse. I can only vouch for the two I mentioned.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Which part, and no. One of the threads in PYF about annoying things in games had the title changed to add 'shut up about Dark Souls.' Reading the Dark Souls 2 PC thread, there is a lot of issues with mouse lag and it seems like it the port is imperfect. I mean, the initial tutorial still has console controller tips in it. It has been a bit since I read the thread so I don't know if there have been any improvements.

Don't use mouse and keyboard. I don't know if I'd get it if I had to use m+k and didn't have a controller.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

PC

Yeah, it's hard. The amount of time I can play varies a lot, so MMO's are out. I liked things like Fallout, Skyrim, etc. My go to used to be World of Tanks but I am burnt out on that. I have been thinking Dark Souls 1 or 2, but it looks too much like a console game, and people seem to have a bad opinion of it. I wouldn't mind some of the F2P games like Warframe, but they are always online and co op, and I get interrupted a lot.

Geez, that sounds more like I don't know what I want and that is probably true. What's something I can get drawn into if I have the time, but if I don't, or life keeps interrupting me, I can still do something for 15 minutes?

Civ V with Gods & Kings and Brave New World. There are tons of different play styles, and its a game that you can boot up, play a few turns, save, and go back to whatever you were doing. Also, if you grab Giant Multiplayer Robot, you can do an automated "play by email" style game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

That's because goons are incapable of not white knighting the games. Anytime someone said something negative about any of the Souls games it would create a multi page derail leading to multiple probations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah the Souls fanbase is extremely rabid. They're as crazy as the moba community.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ceyton posted:

The best you can do is probably Rome: TW with the "Europa Barbarorum" mod. The base game is 10 years old now, but the mod gives you :spergin:-level historical accuracy. It's a bit light on the political / intrigue side though - there's a trait system and a bit of light roleplaying, but that part of the game basically plays itself.

edit: Neither the base game nor the mod play nicely with Steam, or any version of Windows newer than XP. Make sure you read the installation FAQ.

Seconding this. I'm currently playing EB for the first time and I love it. The amount of work that has gone into that mod is pretty insane. Its packed with historical information about the buildings and units, heck even the loading screens are crammed with facts. The gameplay is very robust aswell. And the diplomacy isnt as wonky/random as it was in vanilla Rome 1.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

How's the AI in Rome:TW? My last foray into the TW series was Medieval and the battle AI would just blindly march into my hyper defensive position at the edge of the map and get slaughtered. Reinforcements would do the same thing. It was a slaughter queue that worked every time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

redreader posted:

Don't use mouse and keyboard. I don't know if I'd get it if I had to use m+k and didn't have a controller.

Don't ever play any third person game with mouse and keyboard :negative:

Its not like Souls is some exception. 3rd person games really suck across the board without twin thumbsticks.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

al-azad posted:

MGS Peace Walker lets you build Mother Base which I really enjoyed as a mini-game. I also like playing it on PSP more because the micro-levels work better when I'm trying to fall asleep in bed.

To a lesser extent Infinite Space which doesn't have base building but you do recruit a ton of people and assign them to your fleet which triggers that "gotta catch em all" mentality in me.

Get any of Telltale's games. Whenever I'm listening to my podcasts and people are talking about The Walking Dead or The Wolf Among Us it's something along the lines of "My significant other loves this game because they can interject over my shoulder." If you have a PS3 then get Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls. You and your girlfriend can share a laugh as you manhandle the controller to take a shower or torture Ellen Page.

Seconding the telltale games. My gf makes narrative decisions and I handle moving around and QTE's.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

HonorableTB posted:

I'm looking for simulation games in these categories:

Nuclear/Global War
Stock Market
Business

Are there any good games in these categories? I've tried Defcon (a bit esoteric for me), GameBiz 3 (loving hard as balls), Capitalism 2 (really, really outdated), Game Dev Tycoon (too easy and the AI is really weird when it comes to judging your games. Are there any goon recommendations to scratch my sim itch?

I'd love a stock market simulator that isn't encapsulated in a browser that requires me to continue to log in every day. Ideally, I'd like something I can play with for an hour, make or lose money, and then not worry about it until I feel like playing again.

Nuclear/Global War: Totally seconding Shadow President. If you have a SEGA CD lying around, THE THIRD WORLD WAR is really good too.

Stock Market: I find myself enjoying Inside Trader and the sequel Corporate Raider. Needs DOSBOX but you can hop in and out, buy tips that are offered and shred docs if the SEC is on to you

Business: I don't have any suggestions, sorry. I rather enjoyed Game Dev. Maybe give Free Enterprise a whirl? It's pretty drat old though...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PC

This is going to sound like a joke but I've been playing Puzzle Quest since January and it's my go-to pick up and play game. I can put 10 minutes or an hour into it and still feel like I'm accomplishing something.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

al-azad posted:

This is going to sound like a joke but I've been playing Puzzle Quest since January and it's my go-to pick up and play game. I can put 10 minutes or an hour into it and still feel like I'm accomplishing something.

I'd like to point out Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes, it's in my opinion superior to the Puzzle Quest games, and pretty much to any other match-tiles type of game. I've played Puzzle Quest 2, and Puzzle Kingdoms. They're more grindy, and fine and good if you're really just looking to waste time. If you're looking for a well designed puzzle game with gripping game mechanisms, I'd grab Clash of Heroes.

edit: grammar

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 22, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

StoryTime posted:

I'd like to point out Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes, it's in my opinion superior to the Puzzle Quest games, and pretty much to any other match-tiles type of game. I've played Puzzle Quest 2, and Puzzle Kingdoms. They're more grindy, and fine and good you're really just looking to waste time. If you're looking for a well designed puzzle game with gripping game mechanisms, I'd grab Clash of Heroes.

I need to get around to playing this so I'll take it as a recommendation.

I also really love Half Minute Hero.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Bouchacha posted:

How's the AI in Rome:TW? My last foray into the TW series was Medieval and the battle AI would just blindly march into my hyper defensive position at the edge of the map and get slaughtered. Reinforcements would do the same thing. It was a slaughter queue that worked every time.

Much better. Now, there's a Rome 2. And a Shogun 2. And a Medieval 2. All three of those are unimaginably better than the originals. Rome 2, only graphically, many have issues with it as a game but I personally like it.

al-azad posted:

I need to get around to playing this so I'll take it as a recommendation.

I also really love Half Minute Hero.

Played Half Minute Hero 2? I had issues getting into it, because it starts super serious. But it does get quite a bit better.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

StoryTime posted:

I'd like to point out Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes, it's in my opinion superior to the Puzzle Quest games, and pretty much to any other match-tiles type of game. I've played Puzzle Quest 2, and Puzzle Kingdoms. They're more grindy, and fine and good if you're really just looking to waste time. If you're looking for a well designed puzzle game with gripping game mechanisms, I'd grab Clash of Heroes.

edit: grammar

poo poo, you reminded me that I bought this and I have no idea where I would have bought it from besides Steam and Amazon.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Zaphod42 posted:

Don't ever play any third person game with mouse and keyboard :negative:

Its not like Souls is some exception. 3rd person games really suck across the board without twin thumbsticks.

Not quite, I found Resident Evil 4 quite a bit more enjoyable with KB+M controls and mouse aiming. Indeed most games which require precise aiming are best at KB+M. That doesn't of course necessarily apply to Dark Souls, which is really designed for a controller.

For the OP, they are both very good games.. DS1 PC port was lazy, being limited to 720p etc, but DSFix mod solves it. DS2 works great out of the box. They're checkpoint based, so they require some uninterrupted playing time, but other than that they're certainly worth playing.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

So I play a lot of Starbound, UnReal World, FTL and I'm not terribly fond of terraria, Don't Starve or Minecraft. I want something where I kind of have to manage either crew members (FTL), materials (Starbound, URW) or a mixture of the two. I like being able to make things pretty, too, but that's just a bonus option. I only have a PC atm, any suggestions?

Edit: the reason why I don't like Terraria, Don't Stare and Minecraft is that they're a bit too... I dunno. Like, as soon as you've got a base going, it's all just super easy. Whereas with Starbound, URW and FTL, there's always the looming threat of death and you always need to be careful or things can go sour right quick. (FTL expecially, since I've got Advanced Edition with the Captain's Edition mod on it.)

FluxFaun fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 23, 2014

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Maybe try Liberal Crime Squad? You manage recruits as well as money/guns/uniforms/etc. There's always the looming threat of getting your safehouse raided.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

pigdog posted:

They're checkpoint based, so they require some uninterrupted playing time

I've seen this more than once now. Do people actually not know that you can exit Dark Souls 1/2 anytime you want without losing progress? You don't have to be a bonfire. Just exit wherever you drat please, on reload you'll be exactly where you were before with all circumstances the same. The bonfires are not checkpoints whatsoever, as they don't do anything to mark progress. They're just warp and healing points.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I legitimately was not aware of that, and I've played all 3 souls games. I just never gave it a shot, I guess.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Dark Souls saves all the god-drat time to stop you quitting out when something bad happens.

I knew that, but I guess I just figured it dumped you at the last bonfire you used. I never had to try it because I don't gently caress up :smug:

Silver Striker fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 23, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Silver Striker posted:

I legitimately was not aware of that, and I've played all 3 souls games. I just never gave it a shot, I guess.

Yep, you can literally log into a Souls game and play for less than a minute, log out and exit, and you'll have made progress that transfers to the next time you turn the game on.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Dark Souls saves all the god-drat time to stop you quitting out when something bad happens.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I bet this has been asked before, but are there any good co-op games that run on both mac (or linux I guess) and windows?

Other criteria:
- Not too violent. So no excessive gore.
- Playable on a laptop

I was thinking starbound, that's not very violent and easily played on a laptop. Other ideas are of course appreciated.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

Bouchacha posted:

Maybe try Liberal Crime Squad? You manage recruits as well as money/guns/uniforms/etc. There's always the looming threat of getting your safehouse raided.

What the gently caress did you just get me into? I wasn't even looking for a game and I'm already having fun at work with this!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Funkysauce posted:

What the gently caress did you just get me into? I wasn't even looking for a game and I'm already having fun at work with this!

LCS is great. It's basically a terrorism simulator, but silly enough that it's fun rather than disturbing. I'm not sure if it will totally address your issue of "gets too easy in the end", since it does get easier as the game goes on, but there are some balancing factors to keep the difficulty up as you get stronger (the rival Conservative Crime Squad gets more aggressive the more political headway you gain, although you can wipe them out entirely with dedicated raiding. By that point you've basically won the game anyway, though). The key thing to keep in mind is that you're going to win the game well before the game actually ends - be aware of the "retire" option, it's meant to be used in that case to fast-forward through the wait on the last few changes needed to win.

Eeyo posted:

I bet this has been asked before, but are there any good co-op games that run on both mac (or linux I guess) and windows?

Other criteria:
- Not too violent. So no excessive gore.
- Playable on a laptop

I was thinking starbound, that's not very violent and easily played on a laptop. Other ideas are of course appreciated.

Monaco is a fun co-op game about a gang of thieves that's multi-platform and has simple enough controls that you could play it on anything. With a controller you can actually have multiple players on a single machine. The only violence is cartoon-type stuff - when you shoot enemies they turn into skeletons.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I love this for how much it enraged bad streamers. They'd quit right when dying and when they reloaded they'd go through the entire death animation again as if the game were saying "ahahaha nice try but yer dead as heck m8"

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Regarding LCS, it looks like the version on SourceForge (4.06) is a separate branch and is missing the recruiting task found in the 4.07.4 beta from last year for some reason. Recruiting makes the game infinitely less tedious because you don't have to "grind" locations looking for liberal army veterans to recruit into your combat squad. The downside is that I believe the game crashes on that version if you retire (and therefore initiate the fast-forward feature).

Edit: If you want a consistently good strategy, get some hackers in a posh apartment to do credit card fraud to fund your operation, recruit a bunch of lawyers and train up their disguise skills by impersonating cops/judges/union workers/etc and just walking around places. Recruit a locksmith and a taxi driver and you should have a solid team for sneaking around and doing sabotage, as well as being able to successfully escape in a sports car. It became quite easy to sneak into the army base and steal a bunch of M249 if I wanted to outfit a combat-heavy squad of former army veterans.

Bouchacha fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 23, 2014

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Silver Striker posted:

Have you tried Mount and Blade: Warband?

It's a medieval sandbox-y game where you play as some dude. You can build up a team of veteran fighters and conquer nations or just dick around. There are some pretty awesome online play mods if you want. I've had a pretty good time with it and one my friends is absolutely fanatical about it. You can save basically whenever so it's great for short play sessions or longer marathons. It sounds like it might be up your alley.

Oh, and don't bother with the first game if you get around to checking it out. Warband is just a straight upgrade across the board.

Just to follow up, I tried this out and it seems to fit. It definitely is complicated to the point of frustration for a newbie, but the arena is a great mini game when you just want to whack things for 10 minutes.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I know we've had people in this thread say they used to love playing Stranded II. You should check out The Forest. It's very similar in the "place blueprints, collect poo poo, load poo poo into blueprints" sense, with more survival built in.

It's Early Access and prone to alpha style bugs and stuff but probably one of the better early access titles on Steam, so far. I just hope they patch in a difficulty slider soon because god drat just let me build my cabin guys :( (I think there's a peaceful mode but it's nice to have some conflict, just not endless roving bands of curious cannibals who zero in on every change I make. Shoo! I don't want to abandon another campsite dammit)

Also this is in the patch notes:
"House boat buildable (Warning : buggy!! - especially with sharks. Also, may sink) "

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sociopastry posted:

So I play a lot of Starbound, UnReal World, FTL and I'm not terribly fond of terraria, Don't Starve or Minecraft. I want something where I kind of have to manage either crew members (FTL), materials (Starbound, URW) or a mixture of the two. I like being able to make things pretty, too, but that's just a bonus option. I only have a PC atm, any suggestions?

Edit: the reason why I don't like Terraria, Don't Stare and Minecraft is that they're a bit too... I dunno. Like, as soon as you've got a base going, it's all just super easy. Whereas with Starbound, URW and FTL, there's always the looming threat of death and you always need to be careful or things can go sour right quick. (FTL expecially, since I've got Advanced Edition with the Captain's Edition mod on it.)

Late to this but check out Starsector - it's a fleet management world map kinda game currently in VERY playable alpha and is available for download. It's heavily mod supported.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Bouchacha posted:

The downside is that I believe the game crashes on that version if you retire (and therefore initiate the fast-forward feature).

Could you explain exactly how to avoid this, in more detail? I haven't played yet, and want to be sure I won't run into this problem. I'm going to pick up the 4.07.4 beta you linked to, since "reducing the grind" sounds like a nice thing. :)

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Chinook posted:

Could you explain exactly how to avoid this, in more detail? I haven't played yet, and want to be sure I won't run into this problem. I'm going to pick up the 4.07.4 beta you linked to, since "reducing the grind" sounds like a nice thing. :)

Not sure if he fixed it or not because it was a really obvious bug. But basically, once you move public opinion or have enough sleeper agents in important positions (judges, CEOs, cable anchors, etc) then you basically wait for governments to catch up through elections, constitutional amendments, supreme court opinions, etc. That can take several years and retiring the LCS runs a fast-forward in time that allows you to hop back in anytime but apparently also caused a crash in that version. You can still beat the game, you just can camp out low-heat members in a posh apartment and just fast-forward one day at a time.

Basically don't worry about it. Just save by quitting before trying to retire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Me and a buddy will often play Risk:Factions on his xbox 360, and I'd like to get something along the same lines, but more complex, for us to play together. I would look for this myself but I don't have an xbox/don't know where to look.

Edit: hotseat or 2 controllers. no linked xboxes.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 24, 2014