Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

mr.capps posted:

It seems to imply you think everyone is going to just follow you on this lynch like a bunch of mindless mooks.
which is kinda funny because he didn't even say anything except "vote capps," like that's gonna be enough for everyone to do it? Although i still don't really know why everyone voted Sandwolf either so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Fast Luck posted:

which is kinda funny because he didn't even say anything except "vote capps," like that's gonna be enough for everyone to do it? Although i still don't really know why everyone voted Sandwolf either so who knows.

And yet that vote for capps is sitting out there, and there hasn't been a scum rush to hammer. Which means either capps is scum, windy is scum, or it's not LYLO. And given how windy claimed, and claimed so specifically, I don't think he's scum.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Well it's only been there for a couple hours. If Dhaes or maltose were scum they probably wouldn't have seen it yet.

Btw i definitely wouldn't say the specificity of windy's claim adds anything to its likelihood of being true. i mean, if someone were going to make a fake claim why would they NOT pick out their ship name ahead of time? and if we're going down that route again we can start asking why his tracker would have to be a "surveillance ship" which isn't in battleship. afterall, our doctor was a battleship, not a hospital ship.

The only thing that makes his claim look true to me is how he was willing to throw down that bet with me, that would be a mighty big bluff considering he would KNOW he's lying (whereas i can't really know if he's lying or not), maybe he was just expecting me to back down based on that unequal knowability aspect but that was still a bet he wouldnt want to lose.

It did get the heat off rarity though.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I saw the vote, but since I'm not scum I'm not jumping on it. QED.

What ships from Battleship are even left? As dumb as the flavor argument is, aren't we out of boats?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

I saw the vote, but since I'm not scum I'm not jumping on it. QED.

What ships from Battleship are even left? As dumb as the flavor argument is, aren't we out of boats?

Cruiser? Maybe? Don't know or care, because:

Asiina posted:

Don't think too hard about the flavour, it's meant to be silly.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah but god forbid Fast Luck get off that horse.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Rarity's my top scum pick still, windy's town. I think Fast Luck's newbie town. I'd vote capps over Dhaes or Maltose.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yeah but god forbid Fast Luck get off that horse.
aw come on man, Byers said that he doesn't think Winds is scum because Winds made a specific claim and I was just responding to that. you'll notice in between the two sentences about flavor I wrote more about other stuff, like saying "wouldn't anyone prepare a specific claim if they were going to fake claim" and "I think the bet was more convincing than the claim"

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Byers2142 posted:

And yet that vote for capps is sitting out there, and there hasn't been a scum rush to hammer. Which means either capps is scum, windy is scum, or it's not LYLO. And given how windy claimed, and claimed so specifically, I don't think he's scum.
ohh wait - so - i think i finally put together what this means and what windy's post about losing us the game means.

if it's LYLO, does that mean the scum only needs ONE outside vote to get enough votes for a lynch? since i never played before i hadn't thought about that. 7 alive, 4 votes to lynch, 3 scum, yeah. of course, that's only true if windy himself is town.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

well byers lays out all the possibilities there in his post. it didn't click for me at first since i didn't know how this works yet, but what was capps posting about, then?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Fast Luck posted:

ohh wait - so - i think i finally put together what this means and what windy's post about losing us the game means.

if it's LYLO, does that mean the scum only needs ONE outside vote to get enough votes for a lynch? since i never played before i hadn't thought about that. 7 alive, 4 votes to lynch, 3 scum, yeah. of course, that's only true if windy himself is town.

That's what it means. If windy and capps were both town, three scum could swoop in right now, vote, and win. It's obvious when they do that, but it wouldn't matter because the game's over. But the longer the vote sits out there, the longer it's clear that either windy's scum, capps's scum, or there's not three scum left. I think it's LYLO based on set-up spec, and between his claim and his play I think that windy's town, so I'm voting capps in that situation, just want to hear from everyone else before I vote.

I'm not sure what capps's point was, he seems to be saying that windy's trying to avoid the blame of a mislynch, but if it's LYLO it doesn't matter where the blame of a mislynch lies because the game's over at that point.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Even if we pick right between Winds and Capps, there's still two more scum out there (assuming we are currently in LYLO territory). We all know our own alignment, so, I know i'm town for instance, and that apparently one of Winds/Capps is town also. that means there's two more scum out of Maltose/Byers/Dhaes/Rarity. who could they be? if rarity is scum, then windshipper has been wrong about her (unless he is scum as well). And, plus there's still probably a vig as well?

Dhaes
Dec 1, 2006

You realize, of course, that everything I say is horseshit.
I'm on my phone but yeah I see it. It was a dumb move from wind but it looks like it worked. Saw it from my phone earlier today. I can read from here but I hate posting from it so I don't phone post unless necessary.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
That vote on Capps seems to me like wind was taking a gamble.

I don't think there's a vig out there. You'd have to be stupid to not use it before LYLO.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
My point is that a vote is a vote. It means poo poo other than the fact its a vote.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

mr.capps posted:

My point is that a vote is a vote. It means poo poo other than the fact its a vote.

##vote capps

Well now it's two votes.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
What point are you trying to prove with that?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Well now if capps is town, unless winds and byers are BOTH scum, we lost.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

mr.capps posted:

What point are you trying to prove with that?

You can do the math, but you don't want to admit the truth. You're trying to dismiss the simple fact that everyone's posted today and that the vote and subsequent lack of a scum rush means either windy's scum, you're scum, or it's not LYLO. I don't think windy's scum and I think it's likely LYLO, therefore you're scum.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Fast Luck posted:

Well now if capps is town, unless winds and byers are BOTH scum, we lost.

Jesus christ you people look into votes too closely, even during lylo votes switch back and forth a lot

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Byers2142 posted:

You can do the math, but you don't want to admit the truth. You're trying to dismiss the simple fact that everyone's posted today and that the vote and subsequent lack of a scum rush means either windy's scum, you're scum, or it's not LYLO. I don't think windy's scum and I think it's likely LYLO, therefore you're scum.

that is the stupidest loving poo poo i have ever heard

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah if it comes down to windshipper vs. capps then I pick wind for town.

##vote Capps

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh my god

this was retarded
##vote capps

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

noo

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

lol

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Welp.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'm beginning to think I'm exceptionally bad at Mafia.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

quote:

With fear in their hearts yet a kind of manic determination, the ships once again set about their task of finding the enemy. Before the sun had fully risen one voice yells out over the radio an accusation. The determination is met by doubt from the other captains. They have seen so much bloodshed already.

But they steel themselves. Yes, this must be right. This must be the one.

They aim their weapons, saying a prayer as the missiles launch out of their tubes and disappear into the ocean.

quote:

The Lurfs are arguing.

"Let's go back to the sweeping top to bottom strategy!"

"No, it's a dumb way to play we have to look for patterns!"

"You're a moron that's what they want you to think!"

"But they know that you know so that's why it'll be like I said!"

Two of the players who had started the game as allies are quickly becoming enemies, to the delight of the viewer's vista.

Meanwhile, a member who has missed the entire challenge so far enters the thread.

*Puff, cough, wheeze* "Oh sorry guys, I just got home. Oh hell yeah, are we playing battleship? I love battleship! Let me choose. Uhh....A6!"

"It's a hit!"

mr. capps, USS Connecticut (submarine), Scum-aligned Goon, has been sunk D6

It is now N6, get those actions in fast.

Asiina fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 25, 2014

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

quote:

There is no party after the sinking of the second submarine. No singing, no drunken debauchery, and no regretful morning. They have claimed a victory, yet the crew of the remaining ships know that they may not yet be saved. Instead they wait, silently, patiently, for the sun to rise. To see if they are truly free of this horror.

Yet when the light hits they see that one of their few remaining ships is missing. The smallest of the remaining ships, yet invaluable for its sophisticated tracking equipment. The ship was largely defenseless, full of scientists rather than soldiers. Yet that had not stopped the enemy. It had been sunk all the same.

The sailors on the remaining ships were filled with a grim resolve. They would avenge the little ship and those that had come before it. They would succeed.

quote:

"What...how did you know that was there?" One of the Lurfs asks the newcomer.

"I told you, I'm really good at battleship. Don't worry I got this. This game is easy."

"No you don't understand, there are one square subs. It's impossible. You can't use a strategy!"

The late Lurf member scoffed. "Oh please, just look where there can't be any more 3 space ships and it has to be there. Look, B12"

"You've hit, but you haven't sunk anything" the mod responds.

"What? But there's no room for a 3 space ship, it has to be a sub. A12 I guess?"

"Yay, you sunk the surveillance ship!"

"There aren't even surveillance ships in Battleship?" the newcomer screamed. "Do you even know how this game works? Are you an idiot?"

The mod stammered while the rest of the Lurfs smiled smugly, the newcomer had finally understood the hell they were in.

Windshipper, USNS Invincible (Surveillance Ship), Town-aligned Tracker, was topedoed N6

Oh god it's now D7.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 7

Not Voting (5): Byers2142, Dhaes, Fast Luck, Mr. Maltose, Rarity

With 5 alive, it's 3 votes to lynch. The current deadline is July 27th, 2014 at 10 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 2 days, 23 hours.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Asiina posted:

Windshipper, USNS Invincible (Surveillance Ship), Town-aligned Tracker, was topedoed N6
:cawg: good thing I walked back that bet!

Yeah seems like by calling capps like that windy basically doomed himself to be next to go?

Dhaes
Dec 1, 2006

pretty much, they would be idiots to kill anyone else during lylo

i'm down for a rarity lynch

scum bud is maltose i guess??

Dhaes
Dec 1, 2006

i mean, fast luck is sure as poo poo town, pretty sure on byers soo

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Those are actually the same two I suspect but I don't wanna place a vote just yet

tell me, is there any chance Byers would bus capps at this point? I mean, after winds put the first vote down, and no scum hammer descended, would scum ever put the second vote on their scum bro? OR does that vote make it highly, highly unlikely to be Byers, as that was basically the vote that ended it?

Dhaes
Dec 1, 2006

ehh... its possible, i doubt it though. ignoring yesterday, byers has played a pretty town game, i don't really see any malicious intent there. plus there was his initial case on wolery. just not seeing it.

after windy's stunt the writing was on the wall for whoever capps' scum buds were so there really would only be one course of action, bussing. i'm guessing rarity bussed for that very reason. maltose was obv watching the thread if you look at the time stamps for how quickly he posted after capps' self-hammer. he was probably lurking and since the guy is a newbie he was probably unsure of how to handle windy's gambit, so with holding from posting.

hmm.

i want to hear what all three of them have to say on it, though i think my mind is already made up.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

im with you in that ive read byers as town all game long and rarity not-so-much. for example she "interrogated" capps briefly during the sandwolf vote and then after like 2 questions just said "ok ive heard enough."

as for maltose, he seems mostly town to me but the time he asked me for my ship name i thought might be a scum-slip... as they have the list of vanilla ship names

then there's you, dhaes. but when there was the one vote on capps, if you were scum and knew he was scum, i don't expect you'd have made your presence known by going out of the way to phone post that you'd read the thing. but evne before that i thought your frustration with winds was real, and your case on KB (although wrong) was honestly felt, etc. so basically yeah i think you're town just like i think byers is town, which is what leaves rarity and maltose...

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
:hellyeah:

IT WAS NOT ALL IN VAIN!

:hellyeah:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I didn't hop in on capps because my gut has been so wrong this game I was afraid I had completely misread Windshipper too. Hence the Bad at Mafia bit I posted. I think capps got frustrated because he didn't agree with either Byers or Rarity or both bussing him that early in the day, hence the self vote.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mr. Maltose posted:

I didn't hop in on capps because my gut has been so wrong this game I was afraid I had completely misread Windshipper too. Hence the Bad at Mafia bit I posted. I think capps got frustrated because he didn't agree with either Byers or Rarity or both bussing him that early in the day, hence the self vote.

I agree with this analysis and I know it's not me. Furthermore, based on our continued survival I believe that scum's plan is to get FL to vote for me and then jump on his vote. Byers is the one who has been pushing me the hardest these last few days, he's my main suspect.

Fast Luck posted:

im with you in that ive read byers as town all game long and rarity not-so-much. for example she "interrogated" capps briefly during the sandwolf vote and then after like 2 questions just said "ok ive heard enough."

Because he'd told me all that I wanted to know, which was his opinion on wind's claim (his response was such bullshit) and his opinion on Sandwolf (to get a connection had Sand flipped scum).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Fast Luck, before you vote for me go back and read Byers's first case and my response. Actually read the posts that Byers is talking about. Then tell me if you think that case has any merit.

• Locked thread