Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

mr. nobody posted:

Doesn't getting an everest permit require some sort of questionnaire to the person attempting the summit?

Based on the annual Everest thread, the questionnaire appears to consist of:

Do you have <x> amount of money? Y/N

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

For Far Cry 5: King of the Chill, one lucky winner will be flown by Ubisoft to the middle of antarctica and left there

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Man, Magic 2015 is hard. I really miss the premade decks. I just don't have the effort it takes to arrange a bunch of boosters in to a solid deck. I somewhat regret my white/blue initial choice, but it's going to take a fair amount of packs to get enough cards to create anything else.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ragequit posted:

Man, Magic 2015 is hard. I really miss the premade decks. I just don't have the effort it takes to arrange a bunch of boosters in to a solid deck. I somewhat regret my white/blue initial choice, but it's going to take a fair amount of packs to get enough cards to create anything else.

So how does this work? I figured it would be f2p with packs, but it looks like theres a base price, does that come with just a starter pack and then the 4.99 'collections' are packs ?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

For Far Cry 5: King of the Chill, one lucky winner will be flown by Ubisoft to the middle of antarctica and left there

Well, at least there's a research station there. It even has a TV and video game consoles to play the game on!

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Reason posted:

So how does this work? I figured it would be f2p with packs, but it looks like theres a base price, does that come with just a starter pack and then the 4.99 'collections' are packs ?

You start with some cards and then unlock more cards by winning games against the AI. The $4.99 collections are just the cards you would quickly unlock by playing, so they're a trap. There are some other cards you can't unlock through gameplay, you have to buy them in-game for $2/booster.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Magic is just not a game I can reliably make decks for. I can get by in Hearthstone because of the restrictions they put on you. My monkey brain is too dumb to be able to make a good deck that can have any number of cards with any number of repeats, and balancing that with land.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I actually enjoyed playing the original dead island for acts 1,3, and 4. I didn't think it was amazing or anything, but I had an alright time smashing zombies with friends.
Act 2 however was one of the most boring experiences I've had in a game in a long time.

For people who played both dead islands, how much of Riptide feels like act 2 of the original?

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I wish the old Microprose Magic the Gathering would come to steam. That game was awesome

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Danith posted:

I wish the old Microprose Magic the Gathering would come to steam. That game was awesome

Everyone in the world says this and they're all correct. The only people who seem to not notice are WotC. edit: I'm sure that game is in rights hell alongside most of microprose's other stuff, but WotC could make another similar game. They're always really worried about their video games superseding the card game, but keep making video games that are pretty much just the card game with some structured challenges. You'd think the solution would be pretty obvious.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 25, 2014

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Danith posted:

That was the one where you were a dude on a horse right? That really was awesome.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Reason posted:

That was the one where you were a dude on a horse right? That really was awesome.

Yup, and I think you could get quests from the towns.. I think I still have my CDs laying around

fake edit: ohh, theres a updated version floating around that apparently works on win 7+

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

LibbyM posted:

I actually enjoyed playing the original dead island for acts 1,3, and 4. I didn't think it was amazing or anything, but I had an alright time smashing zombies with friends.
Act 2 however was one of the most boring experiences I've had in a game in a long time.

For people who played both dead islands, how much of Riptide feels like act 2 of the original?

Was Act 2 the city? Also I should probably point out that I actually kind of liked the city so maybe what you didn't like about it if so.

Or maybe I shouldn't be the one to answer :v:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

The Colonel posted:

The Sims 2 with all expansions is pretty drat fun but it seriously jacks up loading times even on modern computers.

Still, it's probably more worth it than The Sims 4 is going to be on release day. :v:

Holy crap you weren't joking. I'm hoping it's just the boot up screens or else I might get fed up and just play Sims 3 which apparently I just found out I have a copy of due to a Humble Bundle. I'm so overwhelmed I've never played a Sims game with more than 1 or 2 expansions, let alone 8 or so.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Reason posted:

Every battle you win nets you a booster with 10 cards or so. I think the 4 areas in the campaign drop certain sets of boosters. You also pick one "type" of deck after the tutorial, which is what your first deck will be based off. I picked the white soldier/blue fliers deck. They aren't nearly as specialized as the previous iterations, so you need to beef your starter deck up with boosters. I imagine after a few wins and boosters you could start creating other decks.

The $5 packs give you every card from that campaign set. 5 sets in total I think. It would give you a massive head start on creating decks, so it may be worth it for some.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Quick reminder that Drive to Hell is still pay-what-you-want over on IndieGameStand! Buy it for whatever, give us a vote on Steam Greenlight, and if we're greenlit you'll get a Steam key! https://indiegamestand.com/deal/

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is there a way to increase the loading in Wolfenstein: The New Order. I am liking the game, but it literally takes a minute to load the game. This is awful since if you die, I have to sit through another minute of loading.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Darkwood trip report:

Has a good aesthetic going for it when they put the effort in, the character and world design is wonderfully creepy and offsetting, and the writing, while not amazing, it's decent. The crafting system is pretty self-explanatory and includes special recipes for this or that. Combat is pretty decent, simple but meaty, although it has issues. The sound design is great, during the nights you really get paranoid.

That being said, you can't see what the hell is going on. It has a grey-on-grey look for it which looks cool at first but makes objects incredibly hard to pick out due to the top-down perspective. That kind of color scheme works for 3D games (Silent Hill, for example) because even if an enemy is a similar color as his surroundings you can still see him in silhouette. There's been times when I died after walking to a room because I looked around and couldn't tell the rabid dogs from the pile of garbage on the other side of the wall. This might be an intentional thematic choice, but from a gameplay perspective it makes things less "I died because I screwed up" and more "Great, I can't tell the zombies from the trees"

Not sure how it's going to be in the future, we will see. It has good things going for it, stylistically, it's just not very... fun.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

LibbyM posted:

It's quite similar to the first one, but instead of beach resort, it's more swamp area. There's still some urban environments though. A few new monsters, and weapons (I think?).
I enjoyed the first game (not so much the 4th chapter), and still prefer it over Riptide, which sort of felt like a step backwards in a way to me.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Darkwood trip report:

Has a good aesthetic going for it when they put the effort in, the character and world design is wonderfully creepy and offsetting, and the writing, while not amazing, it's decent. The crafting system is pretty self-explanatory and includes special recipes for this or that. Combat is pretty decent, simple but meaty, although it has issues. The sound design is great, during the nights you really get paranoid.

That being said, you can't see what the hell is going on. It has a grey-on-grey look for it which looks cool at first but makes objects incredibly hard to pick out due to the top-down perspective. That kind of color scheme works for 3D games (Silent Hill, for example) because even if an enemy is a similar color as his surroundings you can still see him in silhouette. There's been times when I died after walking to a room because I looked around and couldn't tell the rabid dogs from the pile of garbage on the other side of the wall. This might be an intentional thematic choice, but from a gameplay perspective it makes things less "I died because I screwed up" and more "Great, I can't tell the zombies from the trees"

Not sure how it's going to be in the future, we will see. It has good things going for it, stylistically, it's just not very... fun.

I found turning the gamma a bit higher than recommended helped with the monster visibility, not a huge amount but yeah.

My biggest issue with it though is due to the random map layout theres a ton of walking in a featureless forest which isn't even tense since there's very few enemies out in the open.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Danith posted:

Shandalar 2012 is a Windows 7 working version with all the necessary bugfixes, new backgrounds and new card art.

It really is the best Magic game ever made. I don't think they'd be able to do it again though since it really thrives on long abandoned ante rules and hard colour-counters that no longer exist in the metagame. The computer-only random cards were a nice touch though, so maybe they'd just need to rely on those to shore up the missing parts.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
^^^ mana burn should come back anyway.

Danith posted:

Yes! That game is brilliant, I used to play so much of it back in the day that I would get confused as to what cards I had in real life with the cards I had in the game. Protip was that if I was remembering a Mox it was in game.

Speaking of which, I was playing the Magic The Gathering: Battlegrounds game on Xbox last night. It's ... not brilliant, but I love it's shittiness anyway. I'd buy both if they appeared on Steam.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

Shandalar 2012 is a Windows 7 working version with all the necessary bugfixes, new backgrounds and new card art.

It really is the best Magic game ever made. I don't think they'd be able to do it again though since it really thrives on long abandoned ante rules and hard colour-counters that no longer exist in the metagame. The computer-only random cards were a nice touch though, so maybe they'd just need to rely on those to shore up the missing parts.

They don't need to recreate it exactly. It would just be cool to see an actual adventure set within the Magic universe they go through painstaking efforts to establish and fighting battles with the current ruleset.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Played about five hours of Devolver's new game, Gods Will Be Watching. Started off strong, I thought - each chapter starts with you and some buddies in a really hosed up situation with a bunch of variables you have to first discover/fully understand and then balance against each other, and the writing's been pretty good. But I kind of ran into a wall at chapter 4, where the abstractions start feeling really forced and arbitrary on top of being really loving hard to manage and I just couldn't get through it. Any other Goons play this one?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
New The Forest patch out. A bit disappointed I still can't catch rabbits for my rabbit cages, but clearly the dev's priorities are in exactly the right place:

quote:

* More variation to female cannibal models, added procedural breasts size system.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
8 hours on Gods Will Be watching and 4 of those in stage 4. I would have never thought I would be this obsessive compulsive.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Trustworthy posted:

New The Forest patch out. A bit disappointed I still can't catch rabbits for my rabbit cages, but clearly the dev's priorities are in exactly the right place:

I was going to try to justify this and then my sunk-cost self check went off.

The Forest is quite fun and I already feel it was worth the money.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Trustworthy posted:

Hahah yeah right as if that's a real patch note. Let's check the site to see what the real update is.

SON OF A gently caress.

Orv
May 4, 2011

markgreyam posted:

Yes! That game is brilliant, I used to play so much of it back in the day that I would get confused as to what cards I had in real life with the cards I had in the game. Protip was that if I was remembering a Mox it was in game.

Speaking of which, I was playing the Magic The Gathering: Battlegrounds game on Xbox last night. It's ... not brilliant, but I love it's shittiness anyway. I'd buy both if they appeared on Steam.

MtG: Battlegrounds is what got me into proper MtG, so in a sense as much as I love it it is the Worst Thing.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

On the way to work I saw a new sign (for an existing lab) on the building wall.

Development Laboratories: 23 Characters, DevLab 2x3 characters
:tinfoil: Half Life Two Episode Three: 23 Characters containing a two and a three. :tinfoil:

Bored. :v:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

SynthOrange posted:

Hahah yeah right as if that's a real patch note. Let's check the site to see what the real update is.

SON OF A gently caress.
You missed "Dead sharks now ragdoll."

* Fixed player flying in air after chopping dead bodies

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Papo & Yo is cute so far but I think Metroid Other M is more subtle than this game

e: I'm looking at my upcoming backlog and I don't have a whole lot of upbeat cheery games to play late at night and that's a bummer. I wasn't gonna play it right away but I might install Mini Ninjas just because it looks sugary and colorful

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jul 25, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mini Ninjas is a pretty fun zelda-style game made by the makers of hitman. I guess some members of the team made it because they wanted a refresher. It's not great, but it's cute and decent enough.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Gods Will Be Watching is the most ridiculous spinning plate simulator ever made. I'm in Chapter 3 and I just started laughing at all the bullshit in the intro. Got to hand it to them though, holy gently caress does it make you want to keep the plates from crashing.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Guys, holy crap. At some point? Steam silently patched in a "if you redeem a key, games are removed from your wishlist" feature.

I love it.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I found turning the gamma a bit higher than recommended helped with the monster visibility, not a huge amount but yeah.

Funny thing, at Darkwood's gamma setup screen there are actually three images.
The prompt says "Adjust the slider so that the image on the right is NOT visible".
I suppose you need to make only the most-right image not-visible.
When I first launched the game only two images were visible and what I thought was the rightmost, was actually the middle one.
I ended up playin a VERY DARK darkwood, and straining my eyes...

I am trying again with a corrected (I hope) gamma setting.

Overall and gameplay wise, I think I like the game so far (have played for 1 hour at most).

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Ragequit posted:

White/Blue is pretty decent but it's not a 'turn everything sideways to win' aggro deck. You have to make good use of the convoke and your blue fliers. You'll get some nice enchants later on that let you draw on attacking/getting damage through.

If you really want to switch colors, you can grind the Explore Innistrad node to unlock a few starter decks. But a lot of the challenge is from your opponent's cheating starting hands that allow them to play the perfect opening.

Ghostlight posted:

Shandalar owns owns owns. Just a warning though - it takes a bit of an adjustment getting used to it if you're coming from the newer MTGs.

Creatures are terrible, artifact control (Winter's Orb/Icy Manipulator) is ridiculous, there's mana burn, Blue is a dirty cheater and there are Mox cards. Ante should die in a fire - punishes losing way too much when you're starting out.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jul 25, 2014

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Join the official Payday 2 community group! In fact, you can even get some free community stuff (if you have the game)!

If you like to co-op with your buddies, you can't go wrong with Payday 2.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

They don't need to recreate it exactly. It would just be cool to see an actual adventure set within the Magic universe they go through painstaking efforts to establish and fighting battles with the current ruleset.
Well not exactly. What I meant was that the core game of going around and beating up monsters for new cards to work toward a deck that can take down the evil wizards was helped a lot by early Magic having rules and cards explicitly for winning cards from matches.

Tezzeract posted:

Ante should die in a fire - punishes losing way too much when you're starting out.
You mean teaches you to pick your fights!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I was wondering about Sakura Spirit, and well, here it is

Somebody is actually making money with this. Good Lord.

E: Also this.

ManOfTheYear fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jul 25, 2014

• Locked thread