Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I paid $20 or whatever it was in euro conversion for Linkinus, so $5 for Textual is a steal in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
People gettin' mad about spending $5 for a program they'll use for 30000 hours.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I remember balking at $70 for SublimeText until I realize I use it for about 40 hours a week

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I don't use IRC much so that's why I was only interested in it when it was free. :v:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Public beta is up, apparently. Folks are reporting that codes for MAS redemption seem to be going out slowly, but if you log into the beta site you can find it there immediately.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I downloaded it for free and I'll never use it. Bye.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Public beta is up, apparently. Folks are reporting that codes for MAS redemption seem to be going out slowly, but if you log into the beta site you can find it there immediately.

Yeah, I'm getting connection issues as well (it resets every so often) but I'm about halfway downloaded now.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I am getting the WE ARE BUSY UPDATING THE SITE :[

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Same here, and Apple Insider says the beta from the App Store is exactly one digit higher than Developer Release 4.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

The Milkman posted:

I remember balking at $70 for SublimeText until I realize I use it for about 40 hours a week

I thought the same thing and bought it for myself, then my boss saw me using it at work and got the company to comp me for it :smugdog:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

AlternateAccount posted:

The beta site posted:

Proxy Error

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
The proxy server could not handle the request GET /sp/betaprogram/redemption.

Reason: Error reading from remote server

Their servers must be getting destroyed by all the traffic.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Got my beta code but I'm scared of updating because I fear it will "blow up" my work rMBP.

How complete is a Time Machine backup? I'm doing software development on my Mac so I got a bunch of files that are outside of OSX's /Users/ directory (for example, 3rd party brew libraries in usr/local/Cellar). Does Time Machine capture ALL of that stuff?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

shodanjr_gr posted:

Got my beta code but I'm scared of updating because I fear it will "blow up" my work rMBP.

How complete is a Time Machine backup? I'm doing software development on my Mac so I got a bunch of files that are outside of OSX's /Users/ directory (for example, 3rd party brew libraries in usr/local/Cellar). Does Time Machine capture ALL of that stuff?

yeah unless you specifically tell it to exclude a directory. it's not a bit-level image as far as i know, but it copies over all the files. can't tell you whether permissions and various metadata is perfectly preserved.

I wouldn't run beta OS X on an important machine though

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!
Time Machine preserves metadata.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Looks like the method to make USB installation media that Apple introduced with Mavericks (but hasn't worked with Yosemite thus far -- you need to follow a more lengthy procedure) is now working with Yosemite Public Beta 1. Format a USB drive as Untitled, download the installer from the MAS, and run this command in Terminal:
code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite\ Beta.app --nointeraction
Now I'm curious to try it with DP4.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

Pound refresh on your browser and you can get through.

Then you have the joy of watching your 5 gig download from the app store fail for the same reason.

I just got my email informing me about the beta, seems reasonable to try and do the download again.

ETA about a half hour.

edit: nope, download still fails

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 24, 2014

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Looks like the method to make USB installation media that Apple introduced with Mavericks (but hasn't worked with Yosemite thus far -- you need to follow a more lengthy procedure) is now working with Yosemite Public Beta 1. Format a USB drive as Untitled, download the installer from the MAS, and run this command in Terminal:
code:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite\ Beta.app --nointeraction

That drove me nuts on DP1. Please report your findings. :)

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I know I'm considered weird by most for using Firefox on OSX, but chatzilla's a perfectly fine free IRC program for Macs if you need one.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Started using Textual today and it really feels like the son of Linkinus. I should have moved to it long ago. Thanks for the rec, thread.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I just bit the bullet and upgraded since I have 10.8 on my spinning disk for fallback and nothing really important is kept on my laptop for the most part.

I like the graphite option and dark menu/dock. Just wish I could turn the color back on for only the window buttons (Would be cool if there was a hidden preference or something to do that but maybe they are tied too closely together)

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
drat these colors\icons in the beta... seem like it's high contrast or something.. really annoying to look at.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
the new Finder is downright :downs:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My install has stalled at 7 minutes remaining, approximately 60% through. It has occasionally flickered to 6 minutes but then goes back up. It's been this way for awhile now. :ohdear: Good thing I did a full backup, I guess.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

don't use beta OS X unless you're a dev and need to, they're always hosed in subtle ways

i don't understand the excitement about it at all. i *am* a dev (not OS X desktop apps tho) and i wouldn't put that poo poo on any of my machines.

ios betas i can understand because your phone probably isn't *mission critical* and at least Phone.app will work after you restart, but using an OS X beta on your primary machine (often ONLY machine) when you don't need to? i don't get it.

if the machine is important enough for you to complain when it breaks, you shouldn't be running betas on it.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 25, 2014

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
Missing the exit fullscreen on the corner of menu bar already :( . I can deal with the green button defaulted as fullscreen button but it looks/feels silly to use it to exit fullscreen.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

code:

They really need to update the installer on the App Store to something newer than DP1. I can't tell if the weirdness I've been seeing is due to the OS or delta updates and I'm hesitant to report some of the stuff I've seen as a result.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Pivo posted:

don't use beta OS X unless you're a dev and need to, they're always hosed in subtle ways

i don't understand the excitement about it at all. i *am* a dev (not OS X desktop apps tho) and i wouldn't put that poo poo on any of my machines.

ios betas i can understand because your phone probably isn't *mission critical* and at least Phone.app will work after you restart, but using an OS X beta on your primary machine (often ONLY machine) when you don't need to? i don't get it.

if the machine is important enough for you to complain when it breaks, you shouldn't be running betas on it.

Yeah, I have a spare machine I'm running it on. I wouldn't put any kind of OS beta (Mac or otherwise) on any system I really needed for anything.

I already submitted two (minor) bug reports. :toot:

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Anyway to get rid of the Java error? I'd prefer to not install the update.

'You are running Mac OS X 10.10, which is currently an unsupported platform for Java 7.'

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Has anyone tried running the beta in a (Fusion6) VM? I wouldn't mind playing around with it so I can start updating my mackup configs and Boxen manifests for Yosemite but Fusion can be kinda bitchy about new OSX versions. If it's impossible or a huge pain in the rear end I'll just wait.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
This may be a dumb and/or unanswerable question, but are we likely to see developers start to release updates to software (MAS and otherwise) specifically addressing the Public Beta? I haven't installed yet and I'm mostly waiting to hear how certain software (mainly Scrivener, Little Snitch, and tweaks like TotalFinder; but I don't really have anything mission critical and I have Time Machine and Crashplan backups of my 10.9 install) maintains reliability in 10.10. On the one hand sticking to internal testing until the GM might be considered the best choice considering potential app-breaking changes between beta updates and general brokenness, but then again knowing there are a million people out there who want compatible software for their new toy operating system could be considered an opportunity to snag new customers.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Arrowsmith posted:

This may be a dumb and/or unanswerable question, but are we likely to see developers start to release updates to software (MAS and otherwise) specifically addressing the Public Beta? I haven't installed yet and I'm mostly waiting to hear how certain software (mainly Scrivener, Little Snitch, and tweaks like TotalFinder; but I don't really have anything mission critical and I have Time Machine and Crashplan backups of my 10.9 install) maintains reliability in 10.10. On the one hand sticking to internal testing until the GM might be considered the best choice considering potential app-breaking changes between beta updates and general brokenness, but then again knowing there are a million people out there who want compatible software for their new toy operating system could be considered an opportunity to snag new customers.

Yes, most of my software worked without any problems, but I did need to update to dev release iTunes, Little Snitch, and HyperDock. Most developers have a release track to support 10.10 by now.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Pivo posted:

While the rest of what you say is valid, it's silly telling people to not run _public_ beta software. Apple wants people to test it, and takes enough precautions to let people know that poo poo will break.

Speaking of. One thing they didn't say will break is your bootloader if you intend to install this on an external drive, like I did. I was unable to boot back into my regular OSX install and just restored everything to normal using Time Machine. For anybody who wants to load 10.10 public beta onto an external drive: create a bootable USB for the installer, then install it onto the external drive. Do not install it onto an external drive from the desktop installer.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I cannot get this thing to download.

What are the chances if I buy a 4gig movie from iTunes, Akamai will serve that thing up in under a minute? Sudden bandwidth...

Very annoying.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

So far the only problem has been Skitch (it crashes when opening a window), everything else works fine in Yosemite. :toot:

The dark menu is unusable though, until everyone updates their icons to have a white version.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Installed it last night without any issues - saw the login screen and closed the lid. I can't wait to get home and play with it.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Is it just me or are some of the new dock icons obnoxiously 'bright'?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Pivo posted:

It's apple's fault.

They put on a huge show about how much you will want it, then they said you can get it early during the same presentation.

Then they made that process entirely too easy.

People are used to companies having an "open beta" for video games that is really almost ready for release. Maybe a typo here or there but mostly everything is fine, more of a stunt then anything for publicity.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I really don't know why Apple released a public beta, to be honest. At least I don't work in IT support and don't have to deal with dummies screwing their own machine.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Pivo posted:

I really don't know why Apple released a public beta, to be honest. At least I don't work in IT support and don't have to deal with dummies screwing their own machine.
Free QA. Pretty simple actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Pivo posted:

Also support is going to help you all of none if you have beta installed on your machine. They'll require you downgrade first.