Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

1st AD posted:

But it's not crazy to imagine that Nick could win 3 of 5 rounds.

How? I mean its mma and anything is possible, but do you really see Anderson Silva getting trapped against the cage and unloaded on for a prolonged period?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Count Roland posted:

pressure pressure pressure pressure

Ah yes, chase Anderson Silva, a sure avenue to victory.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
If Silva winds up backed into the cage he's going to grab Nick by the head and swing him around like the caller just shouted Allemande Left.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Anderson Silva could break his leg walking to the Octagon I guess.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
We're doin square dancin poo poo now?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Aurain posted:

Any fighter worth his salt is going to believe that he's unstoppable at his best and would win every single fight. If he believed otherwise, he'd never be an elite fighter in the first place.

Even though I still believe he hasn't earned another crack at TJ, we're going to find out if it's true or not.

e: ^^^ I don't believe in Cormier.
I know that he's going to humiliate Jones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj_h5-V6L0g

Chael talked about this TUF. Because people at the top of any sport are very close as far as physical ability; what makes the difference is the mental edge. A fighter has to have an unyielding belief in yourself as the best, so it makes losing an enormous blow to one's confidence and that self-doubt becomes a virus that eats away at your confidence over time. Like the yips in baseball, once that self-doubt strikes it'll gradually get worse as you keep fixating on it. Making excuses is a way of pivoting away from facing the truth of not being good enough. There's a spectrum, from I Just Got Caught to Parapsychologist in 3rd Row Hypnotized Me During Walkout.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
lactic acidosis is an all time great excuse imo

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!
This looks like a man who could use some testosterone

http://instagram.com/p/q2cJJuoWrj

I can't imagine being close enough to anyone that it wouldn't still be weird when I said, "Here, take my phone. After I'm done getting sweaty, please shoot some video of me staring at you while I pant in a conference room."

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Triticum Guzzler posted:

lactic acidosis is an all time great excuse imo

Mine is "I trained so hard my kidneys were failing." Then JDS gets beat even worse after having a high tech training camp or whatever.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Mine is "I trained so hard my kidneys were failing." Then JDS gets beat even worse after having a high tech training camp or whatever.

After the third fight I think he came out and said "I was wrong, Cain's just better"

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Dangersim posted:

After the third fight I think he came out and said "I was wrong, Cain's just better"

Yeah it was just a great example of an excuse blowing up in a fighter's (extremely lumpy) face.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Dangersim posted:

After the beating he took in the third fight it is amazing JDS could think coherently.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!
I don't want to discuss those fights ever again. The third fight in particular was just not fun to witness. It's insane he didn't just hit the ground and pretend to be knocked out at some point.

It's not often that you get to log enough octagon time with one opponent that you can't at least semi-plausibly hand-wave away the results with an injury excuse.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Agent Tough Juice posted:

I don't want to discuss those fights ever again. The third fight in particular was just not fun to witness. It's insane he didn't just hit the ground and pretend to be knocked out at some point.

It's not often that you get to log enough octagon time with one opponent that you can't at least semi-plausibly hand-wave away the results with an injury excuse.

At the time of the fight I thought his corner was really letting him down by not throwing in the towel for him.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Trast posted:

At the time of the fight I thought his corner was really letting him down by not throwing in the towel for him.

That's the problem with these guys who get hyped up around an idea of "knockout power" - even their corners keep thinking that they can still win the fight, even if they're too busted up to know which blurry image they should be throwing their punches at.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Trast posted:

A lot of people did, it was pretty bad.

2 fat 4 my lambo
Oct 9, 2003

WEED POOP

Dangersim posted:

close. it was more along the lines of

quote:

He showed that he had an effective strategy to win the fight, looking to play it safe while not taking many chances to show he was the better fighter, blocking my punches in a way that is typical of wrestlers. He applied pressure, grabbing hold of me and avoiding the fight, making the fight boring, making the audience boo a lot. An effective strategy to win, but he didn't prove he was the better fighter.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Typical wrestler bullshit. *cannonball strikes my face* This couldn't be any more boring. *legs are severed by artillery* Avoiding the fight as usual.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

That fight wasn't fun to watch, but that is definitely not the same as boring

What does "blocking my punches in a way that is typical of wrestlers" mean? Is he implying that this is a bad way to do things? I feel like it worked out okay for Cain.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
doctor said i forgot to breathe

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Trast posted:

Throwing in the towel in MMA is a foul and isn't viewed the same way as it is in boxing. The only way a fighter's corner can facilitate the fight to be stopped is to get a hold of the inspector who will then signal the ref who then knows to stop the fight.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
you will recall that frederick the roach jr. clearly stated that nick diaz is a terrible boxer, and that bj penn is the greatest boxer in mma. and then bj cried.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

-Atom- posted:

Throwing in the towel in MMA is a foul and isn't viewed the same way as it is in boxing. The only way a fighter's corner can facilitate the fight to be stopped is to get a hold of the inspector who will then signal the ref who then knows to stop the fight.

uh, pretty sure it's a foul in that it means you lose the fight which is how it's intended to be used?

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

-Atom- posted:

It is a foul that leads to disqualification, i.e. serves the intended purpose.

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

Street Horrrsing posted:

I find it annoying in general. The actual fights that I was thinking of were hendricks/lawler and machida/weidman

i don't remember weidman saying anything goofy. i just read an interview with weidman talking about the machida fight, but all he said was that he underestimated machida's will to win, and he gave machida respect for trying so hard to end the fight in the last two rounds.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

niethan posted:

uh, pretty sure it's a foul in that it means you lose the fight which is how it's intended to be used?

Yep. Though it'd be funny if the ref looked at the towel, deducted a point, and then let the fight continue.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

-Atom- posted:

Nick Diaz threw the towel in for Nate. Granted, it was p. much over anyway.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

Yep. Though it'd be funny if the ref looked at the towel, deducted a point, and then let the fight continue.

What refs are you watching, they'd look at the towel, look at the corner, look at the towel, look at the corner then tell them that if they do it again it'll be a foul.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

hold on a minute! that's the brazilian national anthem! *a troupe of green and yellow oompa loompas rappel from the ceiling and begin to sing*

didn't want to gently caress my wife
had no testes all my life

had it bad, fever, dengue
we cannot roll if you are gay

was too well trained, my knee was sprained
had the flu, was feeling drained

it was not roids, 'twas novodex
off to japan, where they don't test

i hurt my back and my knees too
failed a drug test from barbeque

shortly thereafter, they are slaughtered by bope.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

That fight wasn't fun to watch, but that is definitely not the same as boring

What does "blocking my punches in a way that is typical of wrestlers" mean? Is he implying that this is a bad way to do things? I feel like it worked out okay for Cain.

Cain was supposed to do what Junior was doing, block punches with the face.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

niethan posted:

You could be right but I'm not seeing anywhere that the foul in question in regards to a towel being thrown into the cage results in the fight being stopped.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/11/5/5068852/ufc-keith-kizer-throwing-in-the-towel-remains-a-foul-in-nevada

Here's an article explaining the reason for it being viewed as a foul, and the protocol used that the refs instruct fighters and their corners on the way to stop the fight.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4F5fIEVWUM

It's so cute that nick shaves his widows peak

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
That's how fights have worked, well, forever. poo poo, it was PRIDE but that's how Fujita's fight against Coleman ended, not that it really started either.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

freud mayweather posted:

i don't remember weidman saying anything goofy. i just read an interview with weidman talking about the machida fight, but all he said was that he underestimated machida's will to win, and he gave machida respect for trying so hard to end the fight in the last two rounds.

Weidman got asked by Rogan what he thought of the fight and Weidman said he didn't remember much of it. As far as the post fight that would be a fair assessment to make. Weidman pounded Machida and cut off his game for three rounds. When Weidman's gas faded Machida came back hard. It was a great fight.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

What refs are you watching, they'd look at the towel, look at the corner, look at the towel, look at the corner then tell them that if they do it again it'll be a foul.

Beautiful.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Dangersim posted:

Ah yes, chase Anderson Silva, a sure avenue to victory.

Anderson's boxing technique always centered on being able to hang right on the edge of the pocket and slip punches to land his counters, which worked a treat against guys like Griffin and Okami who would come forward throwing tentative one-two combinations, and eventually try to catch Silva by rushing in and running past their own feet. The way Diaz strikes is actually pretty problematic for counter-punching. He almost never chases; conversely he's notable for plodding footwork. He just maintains the same stance and steps forward to keep resetting the range where he wants it as his opponents retreat. Even where Nick and Nate had somebody badly hurt, they don't really rush forward looking for a finish, they just maintain their range and continue landing punches (Nate-Maynard III is a good one to check out for that). Also, whereas it is possible to slip punches and counter when fighting a swarming boxer--check out some Mayweather highlights--I doubt Anderson could do the matrix trick against somebody who can double and triple up on punches and rattle off long combinations like Diaz.

This is not to say that I think Diaz could win a boxing match with Anderson, only that I think Anderson would have trouble slipping those combinations. If Anderson was willing to absorb a few punches here and there, which probably wouldn't be that dangerous considering they're Diaz punches, he could just dig in and win the exchanges by hitting back much harder and more accurately. If he did that I'd bet on him stopping Diaz by TKO long before he accumulated any significant damage.

But my guess would be that Anderson wouldn't go for that, because he has easier ways to win that fight. Diaz doesn't check leg kicks and his striking defense is porous, so Anderson could take him out with kicks in any number of ways. Leg kick TKO, body kicks, head kick, front kick to the face, whatever. He'd also have a big size and strength advantage and Diaz has no wrestling, so Anderson could ragdoll him in the thai clinch and finish him there with knees. Why box with him?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

EvanSchenck posted:

thai clinch

its going to be so dope when nick body shot tkos anderson while in his thai plum

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Nick Diaz threw the towel in for Nate. Granted, it was p. much over anyway.

You're right, I'm pretty sure the ref stopped it without seeing the towel.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

EvanSchenck posted:

Why box with him?

Because he's a much better boxer.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Like are you trying to say plodding footwork is an advantage against Anderson?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

EvanSchenck posted:

Anderson's boxing technique always centered on being able to hang right on the edge of the pocket and slip punches to land his counters, which worked a treat against guys like Griffin and Okami who would come forward throwing tentative one-two combinations, and eventually try to catch Silva by rushing in and running past their own feet. The way Diaz strikes is actually pretty problematic for counter-punching. He almost never chases; conversely he's notable for plodding footwork. He just maintains the same stance and steps forward to keep resetting the range where he wants it as his opponents retreat. Even where Nick and Nate had somebody badly hurt, they don't really rush forward looking for a finish, they just maintain their range and continue landing punches (Nate-Maynard III is a good one to check out for that). Also, whereas it is possible to slip punches and counter when fighting a swarming boxer--check out some Mayweather highlights--I doubt Anderson could do the matrix trick against somebody who can double and triple up on punches and rattle off long combinations like Diaz.

Yup. Weed-man also was almost constantly moving forward against Silva; but unlike Griffin, he wasn't and idiot and rushing in. He kept his stance and balance and refused to be drawn out. Diaz is obviously nowhere near as good as Chris, but he also won't fall into the classic Silva trap.

Silva could beat him easily by emulating Condit: leg kicking and retreating. But Silva doesn't really game plan like that, it isn't his style at all.

• Locked thread