Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Halo 1 got a PC version sort of as a sop to all the outraged fans, since it had originally been announced as a PC game. Halo 2 PC was a gimmick to drive adoption of Vista, DX10, and GFWL (an experiment which didn't work). PC versions of 3, ODST, Reach, and 4 were never on the table so I don't know why people keep expecting them to start now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Random question since I literally play no other games than Halo, but would hypothetical Halo PC users be able to play against Xbox users? Is there any kind of competitive imbalance between platforms? It seems like that would introduce so many additional variables that one or the other would prove superior, but I have no idea...

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Kobayashi posted:

Random question since I literally play no other games than Halo, but would hypothetical Halo PC users be able to play against Xbox users? Is there any kind of competitive imbalance between platforms? It seems like that would introduce so many additional variables that one or the other would prove superior, but I have no idea...

No, you won't be able to do that. Technical reasons aside, a player with a mouse and keyboard will always win against an equally-skilled controller player.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

after playing games on a controller for as long as I have now (7-8 years) I cant play games with a mouse and keyboard. the keyboard just makes my hand cramp up trying to make it fit into the horrible key layout.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

Laserface posted:

after playing games on a controller for as long as I have now (7-8 years) I cant play games with a mouse and keyboard. the keyboard just makes my hand cramp up trying to make it fit into the horrible key layout.

Did you forget the xbox controllers work on PC? (not sure about xbones)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

No, I just don't play games on it. I've done PC gaming, it's not for me. I spend all day working on servers, the last thing I want to do when I get home is spend more time making poo poo work before I can chill out with shoot mans.

The benefits of pc gaming don't outweigh the cons for me.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Laserface posted:

No, I just don't play games on it. I've done PC gaming, it's not for me. I spend all day working on servers, the last thing I want to do when I get home is spend more time making poo poo work before I can chill out with shoot mans.

The benefits of pc gaming don't outweigh the cons for me.

Same here. I used to be a huge PC gamer as a kid, then I as I grew up I started getting tired of having to upgrade my PC to keep up with newer games and fixing when it broke. I only play Xbox games and some mobile when I'm out of the house. And yes, the Xbox One controllers have official PC drivers and they work perfectly.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
PC Halo would be death knell of the bone.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

Same here. I used to be a huge PC gamer as a kid, then I as I grew up I started getting tired of having to upgrade my PC to keep up with newer games and fixing when it broke. I only play Xbox games and some mobile when I'm out of the house. And yes, the Xbox One controllers have official PC drivers and they work perfectly.

Word. I switched to an iMac for the big-rear end screen and basically use my computer for media consumption/creation and my xbox like an xbox.

PC gaming is hosed. its so tied down by console gaming now anyway its hardly worth the visual boost.

I enjoy building computers, but the grind fest that is figuring out what parts to get and keeping up with the technology just saps more money away from my other interests and costs you way more than just buying an xbox and playing games on it for 7 years. I found I was spending more time trying to get my games to run better than actually playing god drat games.

not to mention theres no exclusively PC titles that catch my eye.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
PC gaming has kept getting better bout being a pain in the rear end - hardware kept going up up up but software hasn't so much from being tied to 360/PS3, so upgrades ain't bad at all. My 3(?) year old $200 processor still crushes every game, and my 4 year old video card just now started to show its age (while still playing most everything at high settings and 60fps no problem). Parts are a lot easier to pick out (awesome SA thread) and for the past 3 years or so I haven't really had to jack around with anything to get Windows or games to run fine. Great time for PC gaming!

Ugh, I'm eyeballing a Bone for MCC and Destiny though. I went back to PCs when Halo 3 came out cause I was broke and had to get a new computer at the time anyway instead of a 360. Buuut my 3-4 whatever years before that were fiendishly playing Halo 1 and 2. A friend just got a Bone at least so I can go to his house and try to re-live the H2 glory days a bit. Think I can hold off the Bone urge though cause I agree with what someone said earlier, probably a timing thing of why it was so good. It was really weird to skip 3 then get a 360 for Reach, online was so...quiet. H2 had a billion players, proximity voice, online console MP was fresh, and I quickly filled and rotated my friend list. Then I jumped in Reach as a grumpier twenty-something and everyone was bubbled up in private group chats, weren't using mics, there was no end of round blowup of poo poo talk or GGs, no strat calls from everyone working their rear end off to rank up. The magic just wasn't there for me. Then I tried again with H4.. :cry:

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Apparently neither of you have used steam in the past half decade

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A couple of games have tried allowing PC vs console play (most famously the Shadowrun FPS a few years ago), and it's always been a disaster- either the mousers utterly dominate the controller people, or the game takes such pains to hobble the PC side that it's impossible to have any fun with it.

Console FPSes and PC FPSes are practically separate genres at this point, requiring very different game designs to feel balanced and challenging.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

haveblue posted:

Console FPSes and PC FPSes are practically separate genres at this point, requiring very different game designs to feel balanced and challenging.

Halo would play fine on PC. I just want the modding capabilities.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

MickRaider posted:

Apparently neither of you have used steam in the past half decade

I have, it's a good system, but everything else to do with PC gaming, *especially* the community is not worth it.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Those are sure some sweeping generalizations!

PC gaming is great. It doesn't replace consoles but adds onto them. If you want customization and ability to create new content for your game there's no alternative.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I don't have the time or talent or desire for any of those things and keyboard/mouse gaming is terrible.

I look forward to seeing your spergtastic lockout remake maps in arma 3 though?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Laserface posted:

keyboard/mouse gaming is terrible.
lmao. you have no idea how wrong you are.

no need to remake lockout since halo 2's coming back. just need to find the part of the disk that contains blackout and scratch it out.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

MickRaider posted:

lmao. you have no idea how wrong you are.

no need to remake lockout since halo 2's coming back. just need to find the part of the disk that contains blackout and scratch it out.

Why do people detest Blackout so much? Is it because there is no line of sight at S1?

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Why do people detest Blackout so much? Is it because there is no line of sight at S1?

The jumps and ramps were off. I liked it a lot though. Better than epitaph

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

BR3 has no good counters. It's also retarded to have a direct shot from BR1 to S1. The break in the wall was really important to hallway battles.

I could go on a lot, it was just really an irritating remake done by someone who willingly said he doesn't play video games. It's like taking a show dog and neutering it then selling it back to their owner like it's the same dog.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

MickRaider posted:

BR3 has no good counters. It's also retarded to have a direct shot from BR1 to S1. The break in the wall was really important to hallway battles.

I could go on a lot, it was just really an irritating remake done by someone who willingly said he doesn't play video games. It's like taking a show dog and neutering it then selling it back to their owner like it's the same dog.

On Blackout on the lower part of the map doesn't the line of sight start at BR1 and then ends at bottom glass? I'm pretty sure you could see S1 all the way from BR1 with no blocks in the pathway.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
gently caress you, Vinnie. 1v1, blockout.

Ah Pook
Aug 23, 2003

Laserface posted:

I have, it's a good system, but everything else to do with PC gaming, *especially* the community is not worth it.

Yeah the Halo community really makes other gamers look bad

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

On Blackout on the lower part of the map doesn't the line of sight start at BR1 and then ends at bottom glass? I'm pretty sure you could see S1 all the way from BR1 with no blocks in the pathway.

On blackout it's a straight and mostly flat hallway all the way from S1 to BR1. On Lockout the door from S1 is centered in bottom glass, but from BR1 it's biased towards the shotgun hole

Booties posted:

gently caress you, Vinnie. 1v1, blockout.

Sure! OH GOD THE FRAMERATE! WHAT DID I DO!?

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
The Halo panel for San Diego Comic Con is today! Can't wait for the new stuff to be revealed!

Also, does anyone have Halo Wars? I need just a couple more games boosted to get the General rank achievement. PLEASE I AM BEGGING YOU. I will give you Microsoft Credit. PLEEEEASEEEE

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

The Halo panel for San Diego Comic Con is today! Can't wait for the new stuff to be revealed!

Also, does anyone have Halo Wars? I need just a couple more games boosted to get the General rank achievement. PLEASE I AM BEGGING YOU. I will give you Microsoft Credit. PLEEEEASEEEE

I can't this week but if you want to stomp me I'm willing to try online play sometime - pacific time here. I've literally never played a game online and it's been 2+ years since I've touched Halo Wars on top of that so it will be awful.

edit: XBL GT: snarkdispenser

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

I have literally the entire weekend off, throw me a message GT: Mechwarrior.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Neo Helbeast posted:

I have literally the entire weekend off, throw me a message GT: Mechwarrior.

Yes yes! I can do Sunday during the day and all day Monday (we can spread it out).

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

lol who cares about achievements? oh right, sperglords.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Laserface posted:

lol who cares about achievements? oh right, sperglords.

ha ha learning disabilities

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
but they're playing it wrong

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
destiny beta is free for all gold members on xbox 360

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Recap of the Halo SSCC panel (Zanzibar is back)

Page is constantly being updated as new things are being unveiled right now
http://teambeyond.net/halo-mcc-comic-con-recap/

Napolean Bonerfarts fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 25, 2014

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Booties posted:

destiny beta is free for all gold members on xbox 360

Hey guys do what this guy suggested and play Destiny, it's good. IT'S SO GOOD.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

VJeff posted:

Hey guys do what this guy suggested and play Destiny, it's good. IT'S SO GOOD.

Like all Bungie games though it's loving awful at delivering plot.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

Like all Bungie games though it's loving awful at delivering plot.

Needs more QTE's and pushing buttons. Clearly.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The amount of SP campaign in the beta is barely a prologue, I wouldn't draw conclusions from it.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Recap of the Halo SSCC panel (Zanzibar is back)

Page is constantly being updated as new things are being unveiled right now
http://teambeyond.net/halo-mcc-comic-con-recap/

It is coming to 360 now?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
LOL ok I'll get it if it comes out for the 360.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
This is coming from someone who has seen next to nothing of next gen visuals, but Miranda Keyes looked really good in this trailer. The picture of Johnson we had looked great but seeing a human model in that 'Anniversary Cinematic Trailer' in full motion was pretty stunning. I think it stood out to me as I recall thinking back in the day her vanilla H2 model looked out of place, or even somewhat unfinished, when surrounded by Elites, dead Brutes, a talking light bulb and the Control room itself. I think the uniform update from just gray helps.

The aliens/ai's/master chiefs/non 'Humans' looked good too; hope the gameplay stuff measures up best it can.

• Locked thread